* Liverpool 2022-2023 Thread *

64,300 Views | 1285 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by RossG_2
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw story that Liverpool put in a $60M bid for De Jong. Wouldn't that stick a big knife in ManU's backside if they're able to sign him away from Barca.
jeffk
AG
Champions League Group A:
Ajax
Liverpool
Napoli
Rangers

Also, we're playing Derby County in the Caribou Cup third round in November.
jeffk
AG
Hold on to you butts.

jeffk
AG
The heart is a muscle.

Dre_00
Even I, a Manchester United fan, would have to laugh if Liverpool pulled off a last minute move for Frenkie de Jong.

De Jong one of many midfielders linked with Liverpool after Klopp transfer U-turn
Tx_Aggie15
OregonAggie
AG

Same squad as last week with the exception of Fabinho in for Milner.
jeffk
RossG_2
joemeister
AG
Maybe we're not a relegation candidate after all
Beef Cheek
AG
Suddenly feeling a lot better
AG@RICE
AG
jeffk
AG
hey
Mustang1
AG
Tough group stage opener/

jeffk
AG
RossG_2
AG
So Mo Salah played the entire game of a 9-0 victory and didn't get a goal or assist. Wild day.
FriedTex
AG
Didn't see the game so I'm wondering if they just chose to be all out aggressive in the final third or if Firmino being back in unlocked something
jeffk
AG
Haven't gotten to watch yet either, but Bobby started in the United game last weekend too.
OregonAggie
AG
I watched till about the 70th minute and I thought the team in general just came out fired up. It was all out attacking from the 1st minute.

I do think Firmino's link up ability is much better than Nunez's, as Nunez seems to be more of a target man, and he was involved in over half the goals. His goals were more him being in the right place at the right time and his first was pretty cool.

I'm really happy for him because I love watching the guy play and I'd love it if he stuck around for a couple more years.
ChipFTAC01
AG
When the game was about to start I decided I'd watch it later so I could get the yard mowed before it rained. I left the TV on but muted it. Walked through the living room "Holy **** it's 2-0!" Ended up helping make breakfast and 15 minutes later my son (who could see the TV), "Hey dad it's 4-0 now!"

Wife and I then popped on the instant highlights to watch all 4 goals. After the 5 minutes of watching those the first half ended just in time for Rebecca Lowe to chime in, "And with a fifth for Virgil Van Dijk..."

That was fun
YNWA.2013
That was a very enjoyable and dominant performance over the weekend and here are a few thoughts.
  • It was Firmino's best performance in a Liverpool shirt since our title winning season. The guy just found every inch of space in the final third and exploited it relentlessly. It was joy to watch.
  • Luis Diaz is a machine. The relationship building between him and Robbo is looking good. One can only hope it becomes as fruitful as the Mane-Robbo relationship was.
  • It is very strange to see so many goals and Salah have none of them. I think it's a cheap shot that a bunch of media outlets singled this point out instead of the all out TEAM dominance that occurred. But he gets paid the big bucks and I am sure he can handle it in stride. Plus, we should save his goals for other games in the season
  • The VvD-Gomez partnership has long been my favorite CB partnership in the Klopp era and they looked like their old selves this weekend (granted they didn't have much to do in a 9-0 drubbing, but still)
  • As good as all the previously mentioned players are, TAA might be our best player. It really is incredible how he can take over games from the RB/RWB position. He pushed the envelope time and time again. And his goal was top drawer and the pick of the bunch.
  • Our pressing was spot on the entire match. I saw some comments online that we should have shown "more sportsmanship" or "not embarrassed Bournemouth" like that and backed off. I agree with not running up the score when kids and high schoolers are playing. But these are professional footballers that are paid to perform on the pitch. We can and should play to our best and our max each and every match regardless of opponent.
  • I really like Elliott. He, Salah, and TAA absolutely dominated that right side of the pitch. Running circles around the Bournemouth players.
  • Lastly, Carvalho played well. His volley was sublime and I liked his movement in and around the box. I know he is only 19 but he need to show a little more maturity. Quite a few flops and childish incidents towards the end of the match. When Liverpool looked hungry and the Kop chanting for a tenth, he slowed the game down too much towards the end.

BTHO Newcastle & YNWA
-FTA c/o 2013
eiggA2002
AG
Great attitude and energy from the start (obviously). Also Bournemouth is absolutely terrible and Bobby didn't play DM this time and was much, much further forward.
jeffk
AG
My biggest complaint about TAA (and this could be leveled at Klopp too) is that he doesn't adjust his positioning or movement when it's pretty obvious that teams are looking to exploit his offensive involvement. I understand not wanting to let an opponent dictate your play, but at the same time you can't just hang out upfield and let teams sneak in behind you over and again without adjustment. Oh, and he's terrible at marking at the back post. Other that that, I love him.
jeffk
AG
Newcastle (House of Saud FC) is apparently dealing with their own rash of injuries this week.
YNWA.2013
This is why I like the VvD-Gomez partnership. I think Gomez is our fastest CB. And since he is "versatile" in playing CB/RB, he is the perfect person to cover for TAA pushing forward. I don't know how much freedom Klopp gives Trent but I agree he needs to pick his moments better. Towards the start of the Klopp era, Lallana was the catalyst in our press and offensive strategy. It wasn't until he made his move that the team as whole attempted to squeeze. I would like to see an evolvement of this strategy (not sure what that looks like and why Lijnders is the assistant and not me), but I think that is when we are at our best.
-FTA c/o 2013
AG@RICE
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

This is why I like the VvD-Gomez partnership. I think Gomez is our fastest CB. And since he is "versatile" in playing CB/RB, he is the perfect person to cover for TAA pushing forward. I don't know how much freedom Klopp gives Trent but I agree he needs to pick his moments better. Towards the start of the Klopp era, Lallana was the catalyst in our press and offensive strategy. It wasn't until he made his move that the team as whole attempted to squeeze. I would like to see an evolvement of this strategy (not sure what that looks like and why Lijnders is the assistant and not me), but I think that is when we are at our best.
I slightly disagree about TAA. I'm generally ok with him running forward whenever he wants. I want him as far away from our goal as possible. I'm rarely frustrated with him because he chose to attack or press instead of defending. I'm usually pissed at him when he knew he was supposed to defend and just didn't react or did a half ass job. At this point I've just accepted that he will give the opposition at least one goal every other game through his below average man marking skills. He is literally a ticking time bomb when asked to do conventional defensive work. On the flip side, when he is in an advanced position (attacking or defending) we have a really good chance of creating a scoring opportunity or retaining possession. Any time that we spend with TAA along the back line is a moment when we are vulnerable and not controlling the game. We just need a better player in the MF to push the press or help cover TAA's rear. Milner can't be starting games. He is a training ground Hercules and a fine utility player, but we need more quickness and athleticism in the middle of the park.
jeffk
AG
Haha. I have definitely accepted the "welp, that was Trent's guy" goal we give up once every other game. I'm not okay with it, but I've accepted the reality of the situation. Gomez definitely covers well enough for him 95% of the time. Matip is fine most of the time as well. Konate struggles in that area. That Hendo-Milner pairing just created so so many holes in our formation.

Which is probably why he'll never be a consistent inclusion on the England NT. He's too risky in tournament play. He might help you set up two goals in a group stage play but then turn around and look like he's ordering a hot dog while his man heads in a cross to the back post to knock them out in the semis.
AG@RICE
AG
jeffk said:

Haha. I have definitely accepted the "welp, that was Trent's guy" goal we give up once every other game. I'm not okay with it, but I've accepted the reality of the situation. Gomez definitely covers well enough for him 95% of the time. Matip is fine most of the time as well. Konate struggles in that area. That Hendo-Milner pairing just created so so many holes in our formation.

Which is probably why he'll never be a consistent inclusion on the England NT. He's too risky in tournament play. He might help you set up two goals in a group stage play but then turn around and look like he's ordering a hot dog while his man heads in a cross to the back post to knock them out in the semis.
Putting TAA in your team is like getting a dog. You can't easily integrate one into every family. Every family member has to be willing to change the way they operate and make sacrifices. If you don't adjust specifically for him, that POS is going to tear the house apart. But, if you treat him right and properly accommodate all his needs, you will reap great reward....which barely seem to outweigh the cost.

English National Team doesn't have the space in their fancy pantsy house for a dog. It's a shame he isn't American. We love a good dog. Tyler Adams would be out there poop scoopin all day.
jeffk
AG
Well, we helped get Scott Parker (Bournemouth manager) sacked.
joemeister
AG
TAA should play right mid for the England NT. Honestly, he should probably play right mid for Liverpool.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, in the 4-3-3, we get width from our outside backs and wide forwards. Our midfielders all occupy space on the interior of the formation with occasional forays wide. I *think* Southgate uses a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with his squad, but I think he likes to have a much more stable defensive organization with his outside backs staying closer to home (or at least more close to home than Klopp is comfortable with). So there's really not a great place for Trent to slot into their lineup as he's a high risk and high reward player and Southgate (like most NT managers) is extremely risk-averse, plus they also don't really employ wide midfielders, iirc.
eiggA2002
AG
Yeah, Southgate plays a 4-3-3 against the weaker teams, but typically prefers a 4-2-3-1. He even goes into 3-4-3 against the good teams. Overall, he's not extremely attacking, but he uses the fullbacks like wingback to provide width. England is loaded at right back and like Euros he'll be lucky to make the team (he made Euros but got hurt and missed the tournament). Which sounds crazy, but he's behind Reece James and Tripps at the moment who fit Southgate's system better. The next international break in late September will be telling as to his status in the team. Love the guy and he's perfect for us, but maybe not perfect for a conservative national team manager. Not sold on him as a mid. Hasn't played there much, but hasn't been very good in those chances.
YNWA.2013
As someone who lived in England for two years, I have a soft spot for the England National Team and I always hope they do well. I don't like Southgate as the manager. He plays wayy too conservative for my liking. I would call his formation more of a 5-2-3. He usually plays Kyle Walker as the third CB and then has fullback/wingbacks with 2 CDMs (usually Rice and Phillips) providing cover. England currently has such a deep, young, and talented player pool that may rival their Golden Generation of like 2002-08 (Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Beckham, Owen, Rooney). I mean currently they can choose from:

• Ramsdale, 24
  • Pickford, 28
  • James, 22
  • TAA, 23
  • Stones, 28
  • Guehi, 22
  • Tomori, 24
  • James Justin, 24
  • Ben White, 24
  • Mitchell, 22
  • Chilwell, 25
  • Phillips, 26
  • Gallagher, 22
  • Bellingham, 19
  • Rice, 23
  • Mount, 23
  • ESR, 22
  • Bowen, 25
  • Saka, 20
  • Grealish, 26
  • Sterling, 27
  • Foden, 22
  • Sancho, 22
  • Kane, 29
I mean, you could almost have their entire World Cup team be under the age of 26 (with Kane and Pickford being the exceptions). But that is a deep and elite pool to choose from. They will be exciting to watch this World Cup, Euros '24, and World Cup '26 when I think they will really hit their stride. I hope Southgate doesn't screw this generation of players the way Sven-Goran Erikssen let down the previous generation.

(Side Note: I am a big proponent of Ramsdale being the England No. 1 given how poor Pickford is and can be for Everton at club level. But the guy rarely puts a foot wrong when the England jersey is on so I see why Southgate continues to rely on him. But I think Ramsdale is the superior GK)

-----

In other news that is Liverpool related, it looks like the rumour mill is churning out Moises Caicedo from Brighton as the player Liverpool are pushing to sign before the deadline. I don't know much about him other than he scored a screamer against Man U. I have read Palace are offering Chelsea 27m for Conor Gallagher. Would love to hijack that deal and offer like 30m or something for him. I think he would fit our system very well.
-FTA c/o 2013
AG@RICE
AG
Caicedo isn't happening. Brighton would make us pay Darwin Nunez money to get him.

The kid is legit though. He would be exactly what our team needs. Honestly reminds me of Naby.
OregonAggie
AG
The rumors to watch today are an "offer" for Brazilian midfielder Douglas Luiz from Aston Villa and also the long rumored interest in Ruben Neves of Wolves.

I like both players, especially Neves.

I doubt we get something done but we will see!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.