* Liverpool 2022-2023 Thread *

64,246 Views | 1285 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by RossG_2
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Out in Left Field
AG
So we suck now?
AG@RICE
AG
Boardroom failed Liverpool. I like the Gakpo signing, but if that's all the money we had to spend it was a terrible signing. In retrospect, signing Darwin for 6 figures is also a huge failure given the financial constraints of the club. The inability to prioritize the obvious is dumbfounding.
Tx_Aggie15
AG
Pathetic performance today.
OregonAggie
AG
We need a major overhaul on this squad and that takes money…which we don't have. It's gonna be a rough couple years for us in red
FriedTex
AG
Aggie football and Liverpool football. Similarities are striking and gut wrenching
Unemployed
AG
OregonAggie said:

We need a major overhaul on this squad and that takes money…which we don't have. It's gonna be a rough couple years for us in red
Need that oil money and need it fast.
Unemployed
AG
FriedTex said:

Aggie football and Liverpool football. Similarities are striking and gut wrenching
Except that Liverpool has won titles.
jeffk
AG
Sad that this season has turned me into a "remember the good old days?" LFC fan.
jeffk
AG
I'm almost to the point where I'm thinking Klopp jumps to a new opportunity somewhere else now. He sounded pretty frustrated yesterday and then obviously disappointed today. He's been here a good while and is facing a major retooling. I know he likes the club, but if he sees a good opening somewhere else, I wouldn't blame him for looking for a fresh slate.
RossG_2
AG
Is Gerrard still the unofficial manager in waiting or did that ship sail with his Villa failure?
OregonAggie
AG
I was thinking the same thing today. There's a lot up in the air right now at LFC and this possible buyout doesn't help things. He isn't supported with the same budget as his rivals and that's got to take a toll.
jeffk
AG
Interesting

Tx_Aggie15
AG
jeffk
AG
So we got a rematch against Wolves on Tuesday (we should just play the kids here - screw it) and then Chelsea on Saturday in what I'm calling the Sadness Derby.
jeffk
AG
Puts some numbers behind what we've all been observing this season.

jeffk
AG
Also
Tx_Aggie15
AG@RICE
AG
The attack is very different than previous years. We cannot sustain any press nor can we retain the ball in the attacking half. When we get the ball, the midfield immediately pushes the ball into attack. Therefore, we still generate goal scoring opportunities, but we have absolutely no control over the game. The opposition has no fear of our press and can push forward with ease.

Part of the problem is that our current forwards are not very good at hold up play or pressing. Sadio and Bobby were incredible at both aspects of the game. In contrast, Darwin is just a straight-line bullet. The other half of the problem is that our midfield is old and too slow.

I'm worried about the Bellingham or bust approach. We have a ton of holes and spending 90% of the budget on one guy is not going to solve the problem.

If we are going to flounder this year, they should play Bajcetic as much as possible. He has the ability to develop into the right kind of midfielder.
OregonAggie
OregonAggie
AG
Lots of changes!

jeffk
AG
Interesting. Definitely a change-up from a weekend line-up.

Is Nunez out for a while?
OregonAggie
AG
Klopp said yesterday that he was close so I don't think it'll be long term.
OregonAggie
AG
Also, I think referee Andre Marriner might have put money on us today. He's uhhh seeing many calls through red colored glasses
jeffk
AG
Of course the one game I'd be okay with is losing we have a midfielder hit a worldie to win it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
jeffk said:

Of course the one game I'd be okay with is losing we have a midfielder hit a worldie to win it.

Exactly how I feel
AG@RICE
AG
I really like this kid...

Edit: this was a video of all of Bajcetics touches/tackles, but copywrite rules got it bounced. First clean sheet we kept since November. I think he deserves to start at 6 until he proves otherwise.
jeffk
AG
Rog has a nice interview up with TAA. We need to get him over to the States more often.

OregonAggie
AG
jeffk
AG
This could get ugly.
jeffk
AG
jeffk said:

This could get ugly.

It did indeed. This was a mid-table game and a bad one at that.
AG@RICE
AG
I didn't like the setup of the front 3. We played Harvey on the left, Gakpo middle and Salah on the right.

For most of the game, there was very little connection between the front line and midfield. Gakpo doesn't operate in the attacking mid regions like Bobby, and Harvey was out of place on the left. I would have preferred to play Gakpo left, Salah middle and Harvey on the right. Harvey is far more influential on the right side, where he feels more comfortable cutting into the middle.
jeffk
AG
And then we kept Gakpo central when we brought Darwin in. So odd. And ineffective.
ChipFTAC01
AG
AG@RICE said:

I didn't like the setup of the front 3. We played Harvey on the left, Gakpo middle and Salah on the right.

For most of the game, there was very little connection between the front line and midfield. Gakpo doesn't operate in the attacking mid regions like Bobby, and Harvey was out of place on the left. I would have preferred to play Gakpo left, Salah middle and Harvey on the right. Harvey is far more influential on the right side, where he feels more comfortable cutting into the middle.

Agreed
OregonAggie
AG
Pretty interesting article on the future of our midfield.

I'm of the opinion that we need to sell Thiago, maybe Fabinho, and Henderson needs to play more of Milner's role (substitute role but keep him around for leadership).

Our engine room needs a major retooling this summer

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jurgen-klopp-faces-test-over-26012672

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.