* Liverpool 2022-2023 Thread *

64,243 Views | 1285 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by RossG_2
RossG_2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the game I couldn't get tickets to. Driving up to Belfast from Dublin to watch it. Just looking for the right bar still.
jeffk
AG
Good luck and have fun!
OregonAggie
ChipFTAC01
jeffk
AG
When does the team come back from international break?
texagbeliever
jeffk said:

Which has been worse Liverpool's play or the commentating?
joemeister
AG
texagbeliever said:

jeffk said:

All I know from the color Scot is that Trent is terrible and Brighton could have scored 4 goals in the first half.
jeffk
AG
texagbeliever said:

jeffk said:

LFC's shambolic defense absolutely.
jeffk
AG
+1 there. Failed clearance from VVD and Milner is just standing around watching Troussard score his third.
joemeister
AG
It appears the team did not rediscover itself during the extended break.
jeffk
AG
Every Milner appearance is good for at least one bad goal. We need guys to get back healthy so he doesn't have to see the field.
AG@RICE
AG
jeffk said:

Every Milner appearance is good for at least one bad goal. We need guys to get back healthy so he doesn't have to see the field.
When I saw Milner on the side line getting ready to enter the game I wanted to strangle Klopp.

That being said, TAA was the reason we underperformed in this game (again).

Its a real problem...
jeffk
AG
Yeah, Trent was on the hook for those first two goals for sure. But at least he has a redeeming quality or two (we've had this exact conversation several times this season I think).

I did realize that we get to player Arsenal and City on back to back weekends this month so that should be "fun."
AG@RICE
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, Trent was on the hook for those first two goals for sure. But at least he has a redeeming quality or two (we've had this exact conversation several times this season I think).

I did realize that we get to player Arsenal and City on back to back weekends this month so that should be "fun."

A few weeks ago I was on the other side of the debate, but I'm starting to lose confidence in that opinion. His F-ups seems to outweigh his positives these days. I don't know how it's possible, but he has totally regressed as a defender. It's like he is an academy player again. I yell "Trent, What are you doing??!!!!" at my TV about 4 or 5 times a game now. I actually think Tsimikas is a better defender now. If anything, they should have yanked TAA for Milner...not that it would have helped.
OregonAggie
AG
AG@RICE said:

jeffk said:

A few weeks ago I was on the other side of the debate, but I'm starting to lose confidence in that opinion. His F-ups seems to outweigh his positives these days. I don't know how it's possible, but he has totally regressed as a defender. It's like he is an academy player again. I yell "Trent, What are you doing??!!!!" at my TV about 4 or 5 times a game now. I actually think Tsimikas is a better defender now. If anything, they should have yanked TAA for Milner...not that it would have helped.

I've gone back and forth on my thoughts. Initially I thought he needs to do a better job of tracking back but I've heard a number of analysts mention that out pressing isn't the same up front and in the midfield, which means we can be hit on the break easier.

I do think every team we play tries, successfully, to play very direct with counters and Trent us out of position. If Klopp can't fix the press in front of him, then Trent needs to stay home more.
jeffk
AG
I definitely feel like protecting a lead is not something we do very well with Trent in the game. He seemingly only has one tactical setting. Maybe that's on him, maybe on Klopp, IDK. But whatever it is, it's giving me hearburn.

Also, I'll add that I think we're still pressing at about the same levels up front that we have in the past, but opposing teams are also a lot better at playing around it too. We're at year seven in the system under Klopp and there's a decent number of other teams in the league that run similar high presses, so folks have adjusted to some extent. We're just not going to turn the best teams over nearly as much as we did 3, 4, 5 years ago.
OregonAggie
AG@RICE
AG
jeffk said:

I definitely feel like protecting a lead is not something we do very well with Trent in the game. He seemingly only has one tactical setting. Maybe that's on him, maybe on Klopp, IDK. But whatever it is, it's giving me hearburn.

Also, I'll add that I think we're still pressing at about the same levels up front that we have in the past, but opposing teams are also a lot better at playing around it too. We're at year seven in the system under Klopp and there's a decent number of other teams in the league that run similar high presses, so folks have adjusted to some extent. We're just not going to turn the best teams over nearly as much as we did 3, 4, 5 years ago.

Great point. It is clear that our pressing strategy is less effective, most likely due to league wide familiarity. Opponents know exactly which spaces to exploit to greatest effect. We need to change or get way more athletic players in the midfield around Fabinho.

AG@RICE
AG
OregonAggie said:

AG@RICE said:

jeffk said:

I've gone back and forth on my thoughts. Initially I thought he needs to do a better job of tracking back but I've heard a number of analysts mention that out pressing isn't the same up front and in the midfield, which means we can be hit on the break easier.

I do think every team we play tries, successfully, to play very direct with counters and Trent us out of position. If Klopp can't fix the press in front of him, then Trent needs to stay home more.

I can live when TAA gets beat because of the high pressing. It's a calculated gamble. I can't live with the way he fails to track his man or lackadaisically enters challenges when we are deep defending. He is just a really poor technical defender. The issue has always been present, it's just way worse this year. If this was a fifa video game, it's like he came back this season with a 20 point "awareness" deduction.
AG@RICE
AG
Also...
OregonAggie
AG
I think all my players have a 20 point awareness deduction when I'm controlling them
jeffk
jeffk
AG
jeffk
AG
I guess Jota is playing in the midfield?
OregonAggie
AG
4-2-3-1 maybe??

I'm guessing:

TAA - Matip - VVD - Tsimi

Hendo - Thiago

Salah - Jota - Diaz

Nunez
OregonAggie
AG
Trent with a great free kick. 1-0!
jeffk
AG
OregonAggie said:

Trent with a great free kick. 1-0!

Lol. Of course.
AG@RICE
AG
OregonAggie said:

I think all my players have a 20 point awareness deduction when I'm controlling them

All of mine have a 20 point stamina deduction because I constantly mash the sprint button.
jeffk
AG
Geez, I want Bellingham so badly.
AG@RICE
AG
Arthur with a quad injury that might require surgery. He'll never play for us.
jeffk
AG
He hurt it in training?
AG@RICE
AG
Ya, possibly out 3-4 months
jeffk
ChipFTAC01
joemeister
AG
FFS this team is a mess at the back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.