* Liverpool 2022-2023 Thread *

64,253 Views | 1285 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by RossG_2
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stop trying to make James Milner happen.

ChipFTAC01
AG
jeffk said:

Stop trying to make James Milner happen.

Other than playing a 4-2-3-1 what choice does he have?
jeffk
AG
I'm okay with a formation change but also I was wishfully hoping we'd see Thiago (I know, too soon) or Arthur (also too soon, I guess).
jeffk
AG
*throws myself into traffic*

wangus12
AG
That's a terrible tackle there
RossG_2
AG
Terrible start for Milner.
jeffk
AG
Alisson getting a lot of good work early anyway.
jeffk
AG
Gomez and Milner are actively hurting the team today. Just disgusting play so far.
Rudyjax
AG
Wow....

Bachelor99
jeffk
AG
jeffk said:

Gomez and Milner are actively hurting the team today. Just disgusting play so far.

And this was before Gomez got torched for the third goal and Milner tried his damndest to pick up a second yellow.
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

Yup. Announcer said the same thing.

Klopp better rip everyone a new one in that locker room.

INCONCEIVABLE
jeffk
AG
Should reserve a good portion of anger for himself. No way Milner should have been out there starting.
Furlock Bones
AG
Van Dyke is an shell of himself. This is a shocking decline.
RossG_2
AG
Highlight so far is Dempsey mentioning Nacogdoches and I'll be driving through there this evening.
jeffk
AG
Nah. He hasn't been great, but he's not shockingly bad either. Most glaring difference so far this season is he's given up a couple penalties.
Furlock Bones
AG
jeffk said:

Nah. He hasn't been great, but he's not shockingly bad either. Most glaring difference so far this season is he's given up a couple penalties.

I've seen him o ley more than a few guys just in this match. VVD was the absolute best defender on the planet before his injury. He might never have the elite speed he had before. But to see him not hustle is a bit jarring.

Edit to clarify: I'm not saying he's the worst on the pitch. I'm comparing him to himself. He set the bar for how good a defender can be.
YNWA.2013
Shocking first half display. Milner should never see more than 15-20 mins in a match. He is just too inconsistent and slow now for the way Liverpool want to play. Gomez has been run off the pitch, making poor decision after poor decision. How is he outmuscled like that for the third goal?

Take off Milner, Gomez, and Bobby. Put in Jota, Matip, and Nunez. Introduce Thiago a little later for Elliott, depending on the minutes they think he can handle.
-FTA c/o 2013
wangus12
AG
Torbush Wow.gif.

Watching at a sports bar in Athens. Bunch of Liverpool fans here on vacation and they are not happy
Dre_00
wangus12 said:

Watching at a sports bar in Athens.

I see you flexin
YNWA.2013
The entire team as a whole looks like a shell of their former selves. I do not understand why we do not invest in our team the way other elite clubs do.

We invest in one good player a season:
-Nunez this season (still TBD)
-Diaz last season
-Jota the season before

City, Chelsea, and United get those kind of players in a SINGLE transfer window. Fergie was the master at refreshing the squad so that they could continue to compete at the very top. Meanwhile, we have Milner playing significant minutes when he probably should have been let go before the start of last season. Our team is aging

Not to mention we have been hit by the injury bug pretty significantly (again).
-FTA c/o 2013
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm a United honk. But you hit it on the head. Liverpool have not really refreshed the squad. Fergie knew it had to be done. Pep does it. The intensity of the play and coaching style of a Klopp can wear down guys or go stale. Letting go Sane to focus on resigning Salah seems a poor move. I felt like Sane started to take over the lead scorer role last year. Salah has always needed a bunch of shots in a game to find the net. If he can't get the numbers, he won't put up the numbers.
akm91
AG
Your theory would be more credible if you actually got the player name correct, Mane and not Sane.
Furlock Bones
AG
Leroy Sane. Sadio Mane. I mean…
akm91
AG
I think the biggest issue is they didn't freshen up the MF and less about Mane vs Salah. Now with the injuries on top of depleted MF, LFC has looked a shell of itself.
jeffk
AG
If we made a midfield signing early in the summer, this might be a whole different discussion. Keita not panning out has been damning too. I guess we thought we could skate by for longer with Milner and Hendo but they've aged really fast and exposed us in key areas. Maybe Arthur can be a stop gap guy, idk.

I love Sadio, but people make more of his departure than is needed. He and Mo have been both hot and cold and we've lucked out over the past two seasons that they've balanced each other out. Diaz is really good and I think he'll be fine for the club long-term.
jeffk
AG
akm91 said:

I think the biggest issue is they didn't freshen up the MF and less about Mane vs Salah. Now with the injuries on top of depleted MF, LFC has looked a shell of itself.

Yeah, this.
Unemployed
AG
akm91 said:

Should've done this 2-3 years ago.
jeffk
AG
I think we tried with Keita and we're hoping against hope that Jones and Elliot would be able to step up but that hasn't fully been realized.
jeffk
AG
And while I'm thinking of it, we aren't ever going to be able to rotate and refresh a squad like United or City or even Chelsea do… that's just not our financial model. We have to spend wisely and develop more younger players. Which is why missing on a couple key signings really can be deadly.
akm91
AG
I know LFC is linked with Bellingham but his value is pretty damn high, $80M according to Transfermarkt. They're probably better off finding a couple of CM's for that price tag as they need more than just 1 player to refresh the MF. I don't think there are any players they can sell to offset that price tag.
jeffk
AG
eiggA2002
AG
Wow. That was shocking. That could've been 6 or 7 for Napoli easily. Midfield and Joe were complete shambles tonight. The intensity, pace, and focus is not there for anyone. We're on the verge of this going downhill real quick. Thiago back is huge, but with the way we are playing it's not going to be enough. Jota back a huge plus. He's a ways ahead of Diaz imho.
YNWA.2013
The market continues to increase and change. 20 years ago, Zidane was like 50M GBP and that was unheard of to spend on a single player. Now that gets you a banged up Keita that plays 3 months out of the year. If you want to compete, you have to invest in talent. Talent isn't everything (ask PSG, Man City in the CL), you still need culture, coaching, tactics, etc but no team has ever won without talent.

Bellingham is set to be a generational player. Watching him play at Dortmund and when he gets a chance with the national team, he is so acutely aware of space, he has a great touch, wonderful passing range, and can control the game. He plays like he's 26, 28. Breaking the club record at 100M GBP for a player who can be our Gerrard for the next dozen or so years is well worth the investment.

When we bought VvD, we could have bought three CBs for that price (at that time). Likewise with Alisson. He was the most expensive GK of all time when we signed him (Chelsea paid more for Kepa like 3 days later). We could have bought an entire back line for that price. But those two players revolutionized our defence. Made us solid at the back and we weren't as vulnerable to counter attacks and could press higher up the pitch with a higher line.

I have said this with KdB, VvD in recent times, you could even see it with Haaland at Salzburg. These are generational players that don't come around often. Make the plunge or risk falling further back in the race where top 4 is about as good as it gets (which is sadly what this season is shaping out to be).
-FTA c/o 2013
Unemployed
AG
Robertson out until after the international break.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.