* Liverpool 2022-2023 Thread *

64,309 Views | 1285 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by RossG_2
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Retooling the attack got all the headlines this past year, but seeing the midfield age like a glass of milk left out on the porch has been pretty depressing. I love Fab, Hendo, and Thiago, but none of them can provide the energy or coverage we need to push like we do.
joemeister
AG
I don't think you can underestimate the value of having forwards who also track back. Mane and Bobby always gave strong defensive effort which helped the 3-man defense cover for fullbacks that play so high up the pitch. Every game this season, teams just beat our press with 2-3 passes and then the two CBs are on an island. Add the fact that our set piece defense all of a sudden looks like a return to the Brodge years, and we end up in mid-table.
AG@RICE
AG
I agree, the attackers are equally guilty this year. Our press and midfield link up play is non-existent. We play a more counterattacking style then we do a high-pressure/ball retention.

I'd like to see Doak get a few more chances. I love his energy and I think he could do some damage in the high press.
Tx_Aggie15
AG
jeffk
AG
Probably going to need to win the CL this year to get into the CL next year.
jeffk
AG
Here's that LeBron/LFC jersey we were talking about a while back.

jeffk
AG
And here's the new LFC x LeBron shoe. I wouldn't ever wear them as I'd look ridiculous in giant red basketball kicks, but they're pretty sharp.

eiggA2002
AG
Nope. Not a chance. These are both awful. Hard pass. Are these really cool or am I blinded by my disdain for LeBron?
jeffk
AG
I like LeBron, but wouldn't ever buy the jersey or the red shoes. I think they'd look good on other people than me though.
AG@RICE
AG
I just don't understand the point of this crossover branding stuff. I'm not buying Stevie G branded Astros Merch, dude doesn't even play the same sport in the same country. Who buys this? and why?
jeffk
AG
I think it's all self-promotional stuff for LFC, Nike, and LeBron. Generates some hype, maybe sells some units, but probably doesn't cost them much to do these limited rollouts.
joemeister
AG
I don't think we are in the target demographic.
jeffk
jeffk
AG
OregonAggie
YNWA.2013
What a goal from Mitoma. We continue our downward spiral.
-FTA c/o 2013
AG@RICE
AG
Garbage performance again. If you would have showed me a video of this game last year, I'd have told you the jerseys were switched. Jude Bellingham can't fix this and won't sign up for it either.
jeffk
AG
We suck.

Edit to expound on this a bit now that I'm home - I just think we're an exhausted locker room right now. The chase for the quad last year, the subtraction of a couple key players through moves and injuries, and maybe Klopp is sort of out of ideas on changes to make all seem to be coalescing into a pretty poor vibe and energy out on the pitch. We give up far far too many scoring chances on defense and no one up front looks like they're ready to take the weight and carry the team. Our midfield engine is sputtering and there's no help for that in sight.

Pretty depressing to watch actually. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see anything really improving the rest of this campaign. We're a mid-table club right now.
OregonAggie
AG
Yeah I agree Jeff. I think this season is a lost cause.

We need to sell some guys or at least allow contracts to expire, and sign some you get players. I just don't see how we attract the Bellinghams or Enzo Fernandez's of the world if we aren't in Europe at all, which looks likely.

It's like Fabinho and Henderson all of a sudden realized how old they were in the last 6 months. I don't think VVD has really been the same since his ACL, our injuries up front are killing us, and our engine room is riding on fumes.

Unbelievable that we were competing for a quadruple last year really.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Konate out a few weeks with a hammy
YNWA.2013
It looks increasingly likely (plus Klopp said so) that there will be no incomings for the Reds on Deadline Day. The only outgoing that was rumored to happen was Nat Phillips. But with this news of a Konate injury (3+ weeks with a hamstring), we are stuck with the team we currently have.

This team is tired, out of ideas, and lack any confidence. They are in desperate need of refreshment and it doesn't look like they will get any help in this window. Probably a blessing to be out of the domestic cup competitions to concentrate everything we have on CL bc that might be the only way we qualify for next season's CL and the financial benefits that come with that. We are lost in the PL. Teams have figured out how to take possession away fom us and then keep it to piere their way through our midfield and then our defense. Like a hot knife to butter.

A small rant:
Fabinho looks so out of place. He is constantly out of position and is slow to react. And that's his problem, he is reacting instead of anticipating. Should have been sent off vs Brighton. Bajcetic has deservedly overtaken and, considering how the season is going, I say give the youngster all the minutes he can handle.
Thiago plays 3 wonderful passes a game and then is caught in no man's land the rest of the match. Doesn't really contribute much to the defensive aspect of the game. Which, to be fair, he didn't need to if Fabinho is playing well, but alas he is not.
And who knows what is up with Henderson. Not getting many minutes. And when he does see the pitch, is just running around aimlessly like a chicken with his head cut off.
Keita looks semi-decent, I think? Hard to tell with no real cohesion around him. With his contract running out and no news of even talks progressing on an extension, we might be seeing his last few months as a Red. Likewise for Ox. He was so good when he first signed for us and a big reason we went to Kyiv, Hasn't been the same since that injury.
I feel sorry for Gakpo. Currently looks like a square peg being fit into a round hole. Likewise with Salah. Salah feeds on getting numerous chances in the game. At the moment, he is lucky to catch one or two sights of goal.
Robertson has been reckless too. Just hasn't seemed hisself. No connection with Darwin (doesn't seem anyone on the team is connecting with him really) and we are missing his telepathic communication he had with Mane.
Darwin is Andy Carroll 2.0. Should've spent the money on a CM or added it to the Bellingham fund. I wonder if Ward-Prowse will be available when Southampton are relegated.
And TAA. Lacking so much confidence and a shadow of his former self. Did he even get a cross in against Brighton?

Injury list continues to grow with Konate joining VvD, Firmino, Jota, Luis Diaz, Fabio Carvalho, and Arthur (keep forgetting he is even at Liverpool) in the treatment room. So the woes continue and this is proving to be quite a difficult season for us. Hoping some of the guys on this list are able to rejoin the first team soon. Bc something has got to give.

I see that the "Klopp needs to go" train is making it's rounds on the socials. Very laughable and what a ludicrous thought. I doubt a manager of his caliber is truly "out of ideas." It is definitely his darkest time as the man in charge at Liverpool but I still back him to come through. A change in the backroom staff might be a possibility. Plus, (and this might be my BAS talking), who could we realistically get that is better?

I keep hoping the next match is the one where we turn it around. So here's to hoping playing Wolves for the third time in a month does the trick.
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
AG
I'm not ever going to be on the "Klopp needs to go" train, but I would certainly understand if he wanted to go pursue a new challenge elsewhere. I know he loves the city and squad, but he's facing a pretty massive retooling and the ownership question doesn't seem like it's coming to a resolution soon so there's not much promise of big spending taking place soon.
YNWA.2013
Agreed, he will leave when he wants to. He's earned that much
-FTA c/o 2013
Tx_Aggie15
AG
FriedTex
AG
Take the money and run
jeffk
AG
Dark days indeed.

Although I will say that Mo is rumored to be on his way out every winter and every summer.
jeffk
AG
Really good read. I knew about some of the staff attrition, but definitely not a lot of it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12801936/liverpool-how-jurgen-klopps-reds-have-been-hurt-on-the-pitch-by-a-brain-drain-off-it
jeffk
AG
not for me, but maybe one of you are into these:

OregonAggie
AG
I'm in the "I don't like LeBron" camp anyways but those aren't cool looking to me. Maybe because I'm old.
jeffk
AG
I'm holding out for the Air Max 1's that are coming down the pipe sometime this year.
jeffk
RossG_2
jeffk
AG
OregonAggie
Out in Left Field
AG
The dark days are here

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.