***** The Box Office Thread *****

112,769 Views | 1299 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quiet Place gathered $22.5 million to edge out Inside Out 2 ($17 million) on Friday, although $6.8 million of that was the Thursday night previews, so technically IO2 still won Friday by a $17 m - $15.7 m advantage, but that's not how they count it.

The original A Quiet Place opened to $50m in 2018 and wound up making $188m domestic and $340m worldwide.

The second one made $47.5m in 2021 on opening weekend and $160m domestic, $297m worldwide.

Assuming this one is good, it should smash all of those numbers.

Inside Out 2 is up to $429m domestic and $880m worldwide.

It moved up to 7th all-time domestic animation on Friday, passing Toy Story 3 and the original Lion King. It will be 5th by the end of Saturday and will move up to third some time next week.

It is up to 31st on the all-time domestic list. On Friday it surpassed Wonder Woman, Toy Story 3, Jurassic Park, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, The Lion King, POTC: Dead Man's Chest, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and Captain Marvel. It should be into the top 25 by the end of the weekend.

Its Friday haul was the largest third Friday in the summertime ever. Overall, it's the 7th largest third Friday-ever. All the rests were on holidays (New Year's Day, the Friday after Thanksgiving) or very close to those days (Dec 20, Dec 29). The only films ahead of it in this category are The Force Awakens, the Last Jedi, Avatar Avtar 2, Rogue One, and Black Panther 2.

Is tied for 9th-fastest to $400 m at 13 days with the Rise of Skywalker

It is now $20 million ahead of Incredibles 2's pace from 2018. Incredibles 2 was at $407.7m after 15 days, and Inside Out 2 is now effectively "a day ahead" in the comparison, as Incredibles 2 reached $425m on Day 16, and Inside Out 2 is ahead of that on Day 15.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Inside Out 2 is officially a billionaire

Like Rickey Bobby, Inside Out 2 is just a big American winning machine, holding off a Quiet Place to win its third straight weekend with $57.4 million, edging out AQP Day One by $4.4 million.

Biggest opening of the franchise for AQP. The original opened to $50 million in 2018.

Inside Out 2 made $17.1 m Friday, $22.2 m Saturday and $18. 1 m Sunday to reach $469 m domestic and $1.014 billion worldwide.

IO2 passed Toy Story 4 and Shrek 2 over the weekend to reach #5 all-time animated domestic. It will pass Frozen II ($477m) and Finding Dory ($486m) this week, leaving it behind only The Incredibles 2 ($608m) and Super Mario ($574m)

All time domestic, it passed Toy STory 4, Shrek 2, ET, the Dark Knight Rises, Wakanda Forever, Age of Ultron, and Star Wars to reach 324. Only 20 movies have made more than $500 m domestic and it will be there soon.

It's the 11th animated film to make $1 billion worldwide, and knocked Zootopia out of the Top 10. It should get to #6 by the end of this week. At the top is Frozen II at $1.451b. That seems incredibly likely as a reachable goal.

It's the 53rd movie to reach $1 billion worldwide overall and is at #50 right now. Could be as high as 36th or so by week's end.

8th fastest movie to $450 million, taking 16 days. The only movies that have done it quicker int he "summer" months, are Endgame, Infinity War, and Juarssic World.

It's the 8th biggest third weekend ever domestic ($57.4 million). #1 remains the Force Awakens insane $90.2 m third weekend in early 2016.

IO2 is now $29 million ahead of the Incredibles 2 pace after 17 days.

EDIT: Despicable Me 4 comes out on July 3 to coast through a giant weekend which will probably influence IO2's #s considerable. DM4 expected to make $120-$120 million in those 5 days.

Faustus
Part 1 of Costner's four part epic Horizon: An American Saga bowed to $11,052,561. Add in $7,200 from Iceland and its worldwide cume is $11,059,761. I double checked the math.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt17505010/
The Porkchop Express
AG
As if 1220 when I'm writing this, Quiet Place Monday #s hadn't come out.

First of all, big ups to Bad Boys 4 for 25 straight days making at least $1 million domestic. It will surpass Planet of the Apes this week for #5 at the 2024 box office Amazing.

Inside Out 2 made $8.8 million on Monday to reach $478m domestic and $1.045b worldwide.Today is it's last day alone before Despicable Me 4 comes out. Will be interesting to see that race and see how high DM4 gets.

Inside Out 2 has surpassed Frozen 2 for 4th on all-time domestic animated. Its up to 23rd all-time domestic all movies.

All time global animated movies, it's up to 8th, passing FInding Dory and Despicable m3 3 on the weekend. Toy Story 3 & 4 will get passed in the next few days as well.

Through 18 days, IO2 is now $30 million ahead of Incredibles' 2 in 2018. That would seemingly take a hit in the next few days as DM4 opens, but with the 4th of July weekend, who knows?

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Inside Out 2 broke a record yesterday. The highest grossing third Tuesday of all time domestic.

It made $11.2 million, breaking the record set by Avatar: The Way of Water on January 3, 2023.

It's up to #3 all-time animated domestic at $489 million, easing past Finding Dory ($486m)

It's also up to #21 all-time domestic, pushing past Dory and The Phantom Menace ($487m including its re-release earlier this year)

A Quiet Place keeps putting out its #s late, so it's not making my updates. Bad Boys 4 made $1.45 million, its 26th straight day over $1 million.

Inside Out 2 is now $31 million ahead of Incredibles 2's pace after 19 days.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Despicable Me 4 took #1 with $27 million on its opening yesterday, only the second time in the last 3 weeks that Inside Out 2 hasn't been #1. Inside Out finished second with $7.1 million, its lowest day so far.

DM will crush this 5 day weekend, but it's numbers are already a little soft compared to IO2, which made $28 million on its first Wednesday, which was 6 days into its run last month.

As the trailers have shown, the DM/Minions franchise is really blurred these days. Some of the trailers have the minions and nothing else.Mininons 2: Rise of Gru, which came out in 2022, is the franchise leader with $370m. DM2 made $368m in 2013, but the third one, which came out in 2017, "only" made $264m.

SO basically a DM movie heavily featuring the Minions sounds like 300m+ easily. All of the franchise entires have debuted on or around July 4.

Inside Out 2 is up to $496m domestic in 20 days. Bad Boys Ride or DIe made over $1 million for a 27th day, and passed Planet of the Apes for 5th in 2024. Inside Out 2 has hit $1.1 billion worldwide. It's doing this despite relatively low numbers in China ($23.9 million) but is big time popular in Mexico ($81 million).

It passed Toy Story 3 and 4 for Worldwide Animated Box Office to reach 6th in that category, and should be in the top 4 or higher by the end of the weekend It's 35th all-time global for all movies.

A Quiet Place keeps releasing its numbers really late, but it's doing really well, $64 m in 5 days, and a strong second behind IO2 every day so far.

The Porkchop Express
AG
The official sites are slow to update today, but Despicable Me 4 went down on July 4 from $27 m to $20 m, which the articles I've read seemed a little confused on. It still made $20 m on Thursday and I'm sure will crush it this weekend. It's made $47 m in 2 days.

Inside Out 2 broke $500m in domestic box office with $7.2 million on the 4th, a tick higher than the day before. It's the 21st movie to hit $500m domestic, and the 6th to do so in the post-COVID era.

Through 21 days at the theater, it is now $30 million ahead of Incredibles 2 , ($475 m through 21 days). The last movie to reach $600 m domestic was Barbie in 2023. It was at $492 million through 21 days. I'm assuming Inside Out 2 will be in the theaters throughout all of July and August and has a great chance to go beyond $600m and maybe even the next rung up.

Only 6 movies have surpassed $700m domestic - The Force Awakens, Endgame, No way Home, Avatar, Maverick, and Black Panther.
The Porkchop Express
AG
A big holiday Friday at the box office with 7 different movies topping $1 million including Despicable Me 3 making another $27m to reach $74m for its Wed-Friday haul.
Inside Out 2 made $10.6 milllion to reach $514 m domestic.
A Quiet Place 3: $7.4 milion, new release Maxxine $3.185 million, and in 5th, Bad Boys 4 at $173 m.

It looks like Paramount or whoever did the Faull Guy is pulling some sort of stunt to try and get it closer to $100m before it bows. it somehow made $310,000 despite only being in386 theaters Friday, a 175% increase over last Friday.

A Quiet Place reached $80 million in its 8th day.

Bad Boys 2 is now in 4th for the year at $173 million, and if it plays all summer could catch Kung Fu Panda 4 ($193m) and Godzila/Kong 2 ($196m).

Inside Out 2 notes: Up to 20th all-time domestic, passing Beauty and the Beast. Will pass the Rise of Skywalker Saturday, and probably get past Rogue One and the Dark Knight this weekend as well.

Up to 28th all-time worldwide at $1.134 billion, passing Return of the King, Captain Marvel, Aquaman and Spiderman: Far From Home yesterday. Friday's $10.6 million was the 7th highest 4th Friday in domestic history, and the third largest 4th Friday during the summer, trailing Jurassic World and Maverick.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Despicable Me 4 wins the weekend, and piles up $122 million in its first 5 days, but a far cry from the $155m Inside Out 2 banked in just 3 days back in June.

The actual 3 day Friday-Sunday weekend is projected at DM4 $75m, IO2 $30m, A Quiet Place $21 m, Maxxine $7.7m, Bad Boys 4: 6.5 m, Horizon: $5.48m and Sound of Hope: $3.22m.

Now at $533.823m, Inside Out 2 passed The Rise of Skywalker and Rogue One and is now 18th all-time at the box office. It will pass The Dark Knight on Monday and the '19 Lion King a couple of days after that. Then its rapid ascent will slow considerably as the rest of the spots are quite a bit farther along.

It is currently $41 million short of Super Mario Bros for #2 at the all-time domestic animation rank, and $75 million short of Incredibles 2 for #1.

It's up to $1.216 bn worldwide. That's 25th all time, passing Iron Man 3, and 5th all-time animated, now just $26 million behind Incredibles 2 for 4th. It's $226 m short of Frozen II as the biggest global animated movie ever.
The Porkchop Express
AG
With a $4.4 million Wednesday, Inside Out 4 reaches $547.9m domestic, moving it past the 2019 Lion King into 16th place all-time domestic.

It has reached #4 all-time international animated box office at $1.2679 billion. It will past Frozen ($1.2742 billion) tomorrow and is now less than $100m behind Mario Bros for #2 and less than $180m behind Frozen 2 for #1.

All-time interational box office it's up to #23. It will be 21st tomorrow an likely into the top 20 by the end of the weekend.

Through 27 days, it is $31 million ahead of the pace Incredibles 2 set in 2018 on its way to $608 m. Incredibles 2 stayed in theaters at full capacity (4,400+ screens) until it 29th day, and stayed in at least 1 theater for a whopping 181 days on its way to $608 m.

Other numbers aren't out for Wednesday yet, but Despicable me 4 made $15m on Tuesday to reach $147m, and Quiet Place 3 will pass $100m on Wednesday.

Bad Boys 4 continues to amaze with day after day of nice numbers, up to $179m. It is less than $14 m behind Kung Fu Panda 4 for 4th on the year. Quiet Place is the 10th movie of 2024 to reach $100m.

The last few years on $100m domestic?
2023: 25 movies
2022: 18 movies
2021: 14 movies
2020: 2 movies (COVID)
2019: 30 movies
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Faustus
The Porkchop Express said:

With a $4.4 million Wednesday, Inside Out 4 reaches $547.9m domestic, moving it past the 2019 Lion King into 16th place all-time domestic.

It has reached #4 all-time international animated box office at $1.2679 billion. It will past Frozen ($1.2742 billion) tomorrow and is now less than $100m behind Mario Bros for #2 and less than $180m behind Frozen 2 for #1.

All-time interational box office it's up to #23. It will be 21st tomorrow an likely into the top 20 by the end of the weekend.

Through 27 days, it is $31 million ahead of the pace Incredibles 2 set in 2018 on its way to $608 m. Incredibles 2 stayed in theaters at full capacity (4,400+ screens) until it 29th day, and stayed in at least 1 theater for a whopping 181 days on its way to $608 m.

Other numbers aren't out for Wednesday yet, but Despicable me 4 made $15m on Tuesday to reach $147m, and Quiet Place 3 will pass $100m on Wednesday.

Bad Boys 4 continues to amaze with day after day of nice numbers, up to $179m. It is less than $14 m behind Kung Fu Panda 4 for 4th on the year. Quiet Place is the 10th movie of 2024 to reach $100m.

Inside Out 2, Lion King 2019, Frozen 2, Despicable Me 4, Quiet Place 3, Bad Boys 4, Kung Fu Panda 4, and we are on the precipice of Twisters and Gladiator 2.

Truly a golden age of cinema.
Another Doug
AG
Faustus said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Inside Out 2, Lion King 2019, Frozen 2, Despicable Me 4, Quiet Place 3, Bad Boys 4, Kung Fu Panda 4, and we are on the precipice of Twisters and Gladiator 2.

Truly a golden age of cinema.

At least Deadpool and Wolverine isn't a sequel.
TCTTS
AG
jr15aggie
AG
That's good! I'm mid 40s and I just don't make it to the movies as often anymore. But every time I go I love it and always tell myself I need to go more often.

I hope that others are picking up my slack because movie theaters do not need to dissappear like arcades did.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG
Those numbers increasing in horizontal rows as opposed to vertical columns makes my brain hurt.
TCTTS
AG
I just now noticed that. I kept thinking 007 was somehow #3.
double aught
AG
Tricked me initially too.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Faustus
https://deadline.com/2024/07/deadpool-wolverine-tuesday-box-office-record-1236027253/

Quote:

. . .
WEDNESDAY AM UPDATE: Morning estimates have Deadpool & Wolverine at $25.3M for Tuesday, +4% over Monday. Of course, that's still a R-rated record at the box office. In addition, it's the sixth best Tuesday in July at the domestic B.O., but moves up to be the 13th best Tuesday overall. Disney will have their official number soon.
. . .
Over $500 million now.
jokershady
AG
holy crap....this thing has brought in 24.4 million on Monday and 25.3 million on Tuesday.....for a total of 49.7 million for its first 2 weekdays!!! WAT??????

For comparrison this is what these movies brought in for their first Monday and Tuesday combined after their initial opening weekends....

Despicable Me 4: 24.2 million

Twisters: 21.1 million

Dune Part 2; 15.4 million

Godzilla vs Kong: 14.5 million

Bad Boys Ride or Die: 13.4 million

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: 10.3 million

A Quiet Place Day One: 11.8 million

Very comparable was Inside Out 2 which brought in 51.2 million combined for its first Mon/Tue....but it didn't have the same box office weekend bringing in 154 million domestic....which by the way this particular film has brought in a combined 617 million domestic and 893 million international for a combined 1.51 billion and it's still in theaters....

So it's probably safe to say at this point that this movie could bring in over 700 million domestic and depending on what countries it's played in over 900 million international.....
20ag07
Inside Out is a bad comp. That type of movie legs out.

This became a "rush to the theatre" thing.

An R rated movie is never going to land that high.
Farmer1906
AG
Yup. Highest grossing R movies.

Domestic
1. The Passion of the Christ - 370
2. Deadpool - 363
3. American Sniper - 350
4. Joker - 335
5. Oppenheimer - 329

Worldwide
1. Joker - 1.079
2. Oppenheimer - 975
3. Deadpool 2 - 786
4. Deadpool - 783
5. Matrix Reloaded - 742
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Yeah, I'd say this will top out in the high $400s to mid $500s (millions). It will definitely be the highest grossing R movie both domestic and worldwide, but I doubt it has the legs to join the elite PG/PG13 high grossers.
jokershady
AG
Faustus
Estimated $20 million on Wednesday bringing the domestic cume to about $280 million, and global past $550 million.

https://collider.com/deadpool-and-wolverine-domestic-box-office-279-million/
Quote:

. . .
Having grossed an estimated $20 million on its first Wednesday, the film took its running domestic box office to around $280 million, and its running global box office past the $550 million milestone. This makes Deadpool & Wolverine the ninth-biggest R-rated hit in domestic box office history, and puts it on the path to breaking a two-decade-old record as early as this weekend. According to Deadline, the film is expected to generate around $80 million to $90 million in its second weekend domestically, which should be more than enough to push it past The Passion of the Christ's $373 million lifetime haul to become the biggest R-rated movie in domestic box office history.
. . .

TCTTS
AG
Deadpool & Wolverine will cross a billion worldwide next week. This isn't your typical R rated movie…
TCTTS
AG
jokershady
AG
And since they've been seemingly lowballing things it wouldn't surprise me if it does over 100 million in its 2nd weekend…..

Hmmmmmmmm…..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.