* Liverpool 2022-2023 Thread *

64,206 Views | 1285 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by RossG_2
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey, hey, hey! What a fun season we had this past year - secured two more domestic trophies for the shelves and came within a goal of both the league title and a CL trophy. Played the maximum amount of games possible across four competitions and got some really exciting new faces in the squad. Should be an interesting summer with some more roster movement and the condensed fall schedule. I'm hoping for another exciting and fun season supporting this amazing team. #YNWA.

jeffk
AG
AG@RICE
ChipFTAC01
AG
Saw the new shirts. They're just red shirts. Only embellishment is the cuffs of the sleeves. On the plus side, both of my kids asked for one.
Capt. America
AG
RESET
ChipFTAC01
AG
Milners staying for another season in a 1 year deal. Apparently had options for two year deals with other clubs and MLS but Klopp talked him into staying.
AG@RICE
AG
Great news. Love Mily.
jeffk
AG
Milly
eiggA2002
AG
Milly is such a leader of men. Let's get some more trophies boys!
jeffk
AG
LFC shop has a pretty big clearance sale going on right now if you need some gear.
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

LFC shop has a pretty big clearance sale going on right now if you need some gear.

Which website Jeff?
akm91
AG
This one maybe?

LFC NA Licensed Store
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
jeffk
AG
Sorry. THE store - https://store.liverpoolfc.com/sale
OregonAggie
AG
Thanks in advance for helping me spend money!

ChipFTAC01
AG
Just walked by the LFC store in Chester. About to go see how much money I can blow.
jeffk
AG

jeffk
AG
Also we've reportedly rejected not one but two low-ball bids from Bayern for Mane. Not sure what they're playing at - if they really don't think he's worth what we're asking or if they're used to getting their way and are trying to drive the price down.
deadbq03
AG
jeffk said:

Also we've reportedly rejected not one but two low-ball bids from Bayern for Mane. Not sure what they're playing at - if they really don't think he's worth what we're asking or if they're used to getting their way and are trying to drive the price down.
They're used to getting anyone they want at discounted prices from other Bundesliga clubs.
jeffk
AG
I guess. Both bids were not even close to his evaluation and included ridiculous add-ons.
eiggA2002
AG
I think Bayern has a limit and are definitely trying to low ball at this point. Their last bid was up to 30M euros if Mane won multiple CLs and Balon D'Ors. That's ridiculous. Problem for Bayern is the wages. They are going to have to pay him $250M+/week (he want's more than that) and a big transfer fee + wages makes it a less attractive deal for them. LFC has shown they won't cave in unless their price is met as well. I just hope they aren't trying to make Mane do what Lewa is doing to them.

Not sure what I think of Nunez yet, but he is only 22 and should only get better. Looks like a super talent. That fee is huge though, but we could/should recoup a lot of that if Mane, Neco, Ox, and Nat leave.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Ox has a year left?
akm91
AG
I've only seen Nunez in the Uruguay friendlies vs Mexico and US. He seems similar to Haarland as both are good technically, big, strong and fast.
OregonAggie
AG
akm91 said:

I've only seen Nunez in the Uruguay friendlies vs Mexico and US. He seems similar to Haarland as both are good technically, big, strong and fast.

Nunez looked really good against us in the CL
jeffk
AG
"Origi, Karius, Sheyi Ojo and Ben Woodburn will all depart Anfield upon their contract expiries at the end of this month."

AG@RICE
AG
jeffk said:

"Origi, Karius, Sheyi Ojo and Ben Woodburn will all depart Anfield upon their contract expiries at the end of this month."

Ojo had a few flashes, but nothing consistent. Same for Woodburn, but admittedly I had real high hopes for him. He just never figured out an appropriate position and didn't really improve for several years.

Going to miss Origi, he will be a LFC legend for his contribution. In contrast, I'll do everything in my power to forget Karius...Good riddance.
ChipFTAC01
AG
My little red. I'm a bad or cheap Dad and couldn't stomach $75 for a kit he's going to outgrow in a year.
OregonAggie
AG
I hope Karius finds a place somewhere. Sad to see his precipitous fall and it's going to be something that lives with him for his whole life.

Good luck to the young man!
jeffk
AG
I think he was concussed early in the CL final.
AG@RICE
AG
jeffk said:

I think he was concussed early in the CL final.

Probably...but he was kinda terrible most of the time he played for us. He wasn't very big, had average reflexes, and weak ball skills...so basically the opposite of Allison.
RossG_2
AG
I really hope we get Darwin Nunez. Internet rumblings are picking up steam too. He can be a legend as long as his reputation isn't tarnished by too many jokes about his evolving into a great player.
jeffk
AG
Interesting to see how our roster shifts this off-season. City also is selling off quite a few pieces to make room for Haaland. Could be a very different look for both teams come this fall.
Danny Phantom
It's a done deal. Nñez to Liverpool for 100 & he signed a 5 year contract. He's heading to Liverpool as soon as he resolves some family issues back home & will not play in Uruguay's friendly versus Panama today. This is per the most reliable source in Uruguay, Rodrigo Romano.

As a Uruguayan and Liverpool fan, I'm ecstatic about this signing. I've been watching him since the u20 World Cup & it's crazy how much he's developed since then. I'm a little biased, but I think he'll be an excellent fit under Klopp because he can really press and put pressure on opposing CB's with his speed and size. He's still far from a done project, but make no mistake, he will score plenty of goals for the Reds.
jeffk
AG
Welcome to the TA LFC crew then! Hope you keep posting - we could always use more voices around here.

I like the signing. It'll be nice to have an emerging talent there centrally for our outside guys to combine with. Really hope the Mane situation gets resolved quickly and I'd like to see Mo sign an extension but am hedging there majorly. We could use an upgrade in the midfield as well.
AG@RICE
AG
My only worry is that the price tag is incredibly high. I really like the kid, but this could have been 2 players.
We still need a high quality box to box midfielder and I'm not sure how much $$$ is left to operate.

I wonder if this would have happened under Edwards. He only spent big on Allison and VVD, and both players were easily worth the money. That being said, GK and CB are positions where the global talent pool is in short supply of elite difference makers. In contrast, there is a ton of young attacking talent with potential worldwide.

Darwin is 2x the money we have spent on any striker in our history. For the past 4 years, we have done incredibly well exploiting the 50 million range for attacking talent. This allows for quality AND quantity.
Jota, Mane, Firmino, Diaz and Mo have all grown into elite talents under klopp, but didn't break the bank like Darwin.

Ward is our former Portuguese scout and is certainly in love with their talent, which likely led to us spending a record fee on Darwin. Hopefully he doesn't go overboard and stays disciplined with our approach instead of taking big swings. We aren't Man city, we don't have endless oil money.
eiggA2002
AG

James Pearce saying it's a done deal and medical tomorrow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.