Bryan/College Station - Coming & Going, Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2014)

525,084 Views | 1743 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ooshwa
gunan01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man I really wish Torchy's Tacos was coming to that Northpoint location. I think they would really thrive being near campus.

[This message has been edited by gunan01 (edited 2/14/2014 10:33p).]
nashvilleaggie11
I thought we were getting a Whole Foods at Northpoint Crossing. And boo to Zoes Kitchen... that place is not too great
PS3D
quote:
Man I really wish Torchy's Tacos was coming to that Northpoint location. I think they would really thrive being near campus.

don't lose hope--the Rise has a few spots open

quote:
I thought we were getting a Whole Foods at Northpoint Crossing.

Who told you that? The entire square footage of Northpoint Crossing is equal to one of the smallest Whole Foods in the chain.
gunan01
AG
IMO Whole Foods would crush it in the old Albertson's spot. Would revitalize that section of that side of University Dr too.

Alas, it's just a dream...
techno-ag
AG
quote:
IMO Whole Foods would crush it in the old Albertson's spot. Would revitalize that section of that side of University Dr too.

Alas, it's just a dream...

Somebody on here said that spot is owned / controlled by HEB & they were unlikely to let another grocery store in there.
dgonzo99
I understand that HEB uses that location for a warehouse. Sprouts was supposed to go in next to PetSmart, but the CEO of Sprouts didn't like the area for some reason. The BCS area is saturated right now with grocery stores anyway.
PS3D
Spring 2013 I was able to look into the old Albertsons--someone's keeping the lights on, the store is empty, and some decor is still intact.
superspeck
I agree that the BCS area is saturated with grocery stores at the moment. I don't know how some of them are profitable. What I do wish is that they wouldn't segment as heavily. I end up driving to Tower Point from Bryan because the closer HEB stores don't stock some products I buy or don't offer the same specials on the same time scales. That being said, it only takes me 10 or 15 minutes to get to tower point even though it's at the other end of town.

And the new Wal-mart is just going to further segment that already small pie.
Max06
AG
Grocery stores honor each other's sale ads, FWIW.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
HEB does own the Albertson's/Randall's location. I guess if they use it as a warehouse (as others have said), it serves a dual purpose: closer supplies and no competitors on that spot. Smart bidness, if you ask me,

Of all the stores in this area, I'm wondering how Kroger on SWP and Texas is doing. Twenty years ago, I heard a factoid that that Kroger sold more beer than all the Krogers in Houston combined. Don't know how true that is, but I'm guessing they're nowhere near that now. Since that time, Kroger opened up their RP location and HEB stepped up their game...big time...going from "Pantry" stores to full-blown big boy stores.

[This message has been edited by Fonzie Scheme (edited 2/16/2014 8:47p).]
CrazyAgE
I don't think HEB actually uses that old Albertsons for anything like storage. I think they scooped that up so a WM neighborhood Mkt couldn't move in there.
aggiepm
AG
http://www.hebdevelopment.com/index.jsp

Here's a link to the HEB Development website. They do own the property and they have it under the "sublease" section of their properties
K2T2
I saw a waffle truck called Wafology at that empty bank parking lot across the street from campus on Friday. Looks like they will be there, today and tomorrow, too, according to their Facebook.
CEAg78
AG
Empty bank parking lot across from campus? Which street? Only bank with parking lot I can think of is Citibank. Did that branch close?
ChampsAg
Citibank parking lot will be their regular location according to Twitter. 10:30 - 1:30
Jock
AG
College Depot looks to be relocating to the ParkPlace (Old Lacks) shopping center where all the construction is going on.

SW Parkway and Texas Ave.

So Planet Fitness and College Depot are going to be neighbors.
bcstx06
We just may be getting a Whole Foods here:
http://houston.culturemap.com/news/innovation/02-15-14-whole-foods-big-expansion-plans-include-places-never-before-imagined/
Hammerheadjim
AG
Tried the Wafology truck.. Delicious.. fair price
FlyRod
The waffle truck is great. Both breakfast and lunch items. Most stuff seems to be about $4.
halibut sinclair
What stuff do they have?
CDub06
AG
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/wafology-college-station?select=JPbX4s_OOE94pafxRpPguA#BLyfFw96RkgHZ2D_Ry8T1w

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
without turning this into a waffle house thread, we badly need a real waffle establishment around here. a good waffle is delicious and something my family craves pretty regularly. hope the truck sticks around a while.
FlyRod
IHOP appears to make waffles. Guessing the diner does too, and possibly The Kettle.
95_Aggie
AG

[This message has been edited by AGnCS (edited 2/18/2014 10:20a).]
PS3D
What happened to Mr Chinese Burger?
FlyRod
Perhaps he and Mrs. Chinese Burger are off on vacation somewhere?
halibut sinclair
redball
I hate to derail the waffle debate, nevertheless, the Mrs & I stopped by Taz for lunch and the owner confirmed they are aiming for opening the downtown Bryan location the first or second week of April. I'm very happy to see a locally owned and operated business grow. We've been big fans of Taz since their early days.

[This message has been edited by redball (edited 2/18/2014 2:26p).]
Sprite09
AG
The diner doesn't make waffles and neither does Cracker Barrel. We found this out recently so we decided to make our own. Didn't know about the waffle truck though! Interesting concept and we will have to give them a try
1986_Aggie
AG
A yoga place going in the small strip behind the new Starbucks on Rock Prairie, facing the new S&W hospital
CrazyAgE
quote:
A yoga place going in the small strip behind the new Starbucks on Rock Prairie, facing the new S&W hospital

Now if they were both in the same place to where you could go get a coffee and do some people watching, that place would be gold! Sip coffee and watch me some yoga!! I guess this is probably better suited for the general board
redball
^
Agreed - the Neandertals on the GB would find that amusing/enticing. Keep it classy, townie board!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Need a gourmet waffle bar/place. Something that maybe doubles as a coffee/dessert joint. Not IHOP, Dennys or whatever. Haven't had the waffle truck yet. Need to hit it soon though.
bcstx06
With a McDonalds and a Subway in the two Gas station in front of the new Walmart at 2818 and Villa Maria, what restaurant I wonder will go inside of the new Walmart?
dgonzo99
That's a very good question. I understand that there are Pizza Huts in some Walmarts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.