Bryan/College Station - Coming & Going, Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2014)

525,085 Views | 1743 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ooshwa
Scotch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would that be related to the place at Texas and MLK?

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 4/7/2014 3:28a).]
chloelee
chloelee
Old Quizno's location.

[This message has been edited by chloelee (edited 4/7/2014 7:09a).]
PS3D
Which one? If the College Station one, is it the old Quizno's?
Scruffy
AG
I would love a del sol closer to me.
chloelee

[This message has been edited by chloelee (edited 4/7/2014 7:10a).]
chloelee

[This message has been edited by chloelee (edited 4/7/2014 7:10a).]
carpe vinum
AG
Pouring the slab at the Best Western in Towerpoint this morning.
PS3D
Luby's is closing, confirmed.

KBTX link

quote:
The letter was provided to KBTX by an employee who asked to remain anonymous, but who said the company indicated to employees that Luby's was exploring options to open a new location in the area in the next year or two.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
The employee said company officials indicated the location of the current Luby's was not conducive for business given growth in other parts of the city.

I guess that kills the rumor that it was going to become another Pappas brand.
dgonzo99
Location had nothing to do with their demise. Fritella's is on that part of town, and every time I am there it's packed. Sodolaks on 21 is off the beaten path, and there is always a 30 minute to 45 minute wait for a table. Koppe at Harvey is off the beaten path, and it's always busy.

[This message has been edited by dgonzo99 (edited 4/11/2014 3:15p).]
KC Aggie
AG
Can't count the number of meals I've eaten at that Luby's. Always went there with my grandmother whenever we came to Bryan to see her.

"Morons. I've got morons on my team."
PS3D
quote:
The employee also said the Luby's crew was told by the company that the current property had been sold, but the new owners were not revealed to them.

Well, there's the thing about it being sold again--I'd be surprised if it was Café Eccell (or an Eccell Group anything).

It's possible that it won't be a restaurant at all--perhaps even one to build a small mid-rise. Maybe. It could happen.
dgonzo99
You might be right. I have seen in Houston, big hotels go up on that amount of land. Of course all of the parking is built into the hotel. If that is such a bad location, the hotel being built in the area is a huge mistake. I don't think so!! This location is very close to TAMU and Kyle Field.

[This message has been edited by dgonzo99 (edited 4/10/2014 2:25p).]
birdman
Lubys is a really pretty lot. The trees are pretty there. Any restaurant could have nice view out there or courtyard.
MAlovedphotography
Yay!! I asked a few pages back about the second Bahama bucks and I see it's made the coming soon list!
CWIsom
How is it not prime location with all the expansion and new development mere blocks away... Just face it Luby's is a thing of the past...

[This message has been edited by HavinThangs (edited 4/10/2014 8:26p).]
dgonzo99
I agree with you 100%!!!! It is probably one of the best locations in Brazos County. It is close to TAMU and University Drive. If it is so bad then the apartments going up are destined to fail with that reasoning.
fanof3.88
Is the Luby's lot in Bryan or College Station city limits?
bcstx06
The Luby's is in Bryan. Bryan city limits ends after that first hotel thats on the same side as Luby's going towards University. On the other side of the street from Luby's where the statue of the little boy and girl and the wall that says Bryan - College Station, I think that is college Station. Sometimes its hard to tell where Bryan begins and College Station ends because of those population/city limits signs.

[This message has been edited by bcstx06 (edited 4/10/2014 6:37p).]
Max06
AG

[This message has been edited by max06 (edited 4/10/2014 6:37p).]
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Im predicting hotel in that Lubys spot. Sucks that we are losing Lubys but I bet we get a new/nicer smaller one.
PS3D
I never put the "College Station Hall of Fame" (the Texas Hall of Fame "inspired" dance hall) on the list as I haven't heard anything about in a better part of a year.
dgonzo99
May not ever happen. Too many people don't want it near them. However, you never know.....
dgonzo99
The new shopping center on west Villa Maria is now called "Rudder's Landing".
aggmaroon
AG
The Luby's will be Café Eccell sometime around August. Mark my words
dgonzo99
aggmaroon, a lot of people more or less said I was crazy when I said that several weeks ago. If that does happen, they will have to eat crow along with humble pie as dessert when CE reopens.
bcstx06
No disrespect, but why is everything here named after James Earl Rudder and Harvey Mitchell?
Scruffy
AG
Is '06 your class year?
dgonzo99
I really don't even know who Harvey Mitchell was, and I grew up here.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Were it not for James Earl Rudder, this community would not be what it is today. It boils down to two terms: coeds and non-regs. He made both possible.

As for Harvey Mitchell, here you go: http://www.texascenterforregionalstudies.com/harvey-mitchell--father-of-brazos-county-and-texas-am.html

[This message has been edited by Fonzie Scheme (edited 4/11/2014 8:19p).]
Raven
S
I think aggmaroon is on to something....
techno-ag
AG
quote:
No disrespect, but why is everything here named after James Earl Rudder and Harvey Mitchell?

Seriously? May as well ask why DC is named after Washington.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
One other thing: I can't speak for Mr. Mitchell, but Gen. Rudder proves a visionary is rarely appreciated in his time. While she was still alive, Margaret Rudder spoke to a class I attended at A&M and shared that Gen. Rudder received death threats after making The A&M College of Texas coeducational.

I realize change is a four-letter word for many people, but how sad is that?

[This message has been edited by Fonzie Scheme (edited 4/11/2014 8:27p).]
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
quote:

Seriously? May as well ask why DC is named after Washington.

I know where you're coming from, TA, but the poster did say "no disrespect". To me, it shows an interest in the historical background of this community. We need more people like that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.