Bryan/College Station - Coming & Going, Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2014)

522,002 Views | 1743 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ooshwa
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nashvilleaggie119:16p

quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love Maddens, but do we really need ANOTHER taco place in town? Fuego's, Torchys (coming soon), Fuzzys, etc.

I said this about burger joints in another thread and was nearly run out of town on a rail.
FlyRod
Questionable rumor passed to me by some restaurant folk tonight: Abuelo's will be closing, and Joe's Crab Shack will move into the Boston's location.
isitjustme
AG
BCS doesn't need any new taco places, or burger places, or BBQ places, or buffets...

But if anyone builds one that enough customers think is better than those that are already here, then they'll clean up. Applies to all types of businesses.
TLIAC
AG
Mistershipwreck - we've been looking at the construction there too. We didn't see plumbing going into the slab. Guessing maybe drive up storage units?? I don't think they would have to take out the pump thing for those.
originaltexan
Well, here is the deal...Taco has taken on a different meaning in the last few years.

One major stride is for people watching their diet in terms of calories, organic, or vegetarian.

Wraps didn't make it big in Texas...tacos did. So, that is why you see steady growth in this segment.

Take a look around at the running events compared to five years ago..10 years ago. You will see more people concerned about health.

Fitness camps huge success.

Smoking, well, it is on a downward spiral.

So, you see, that is how we get to tacos.
nashvilleaggie11
OK its hard to tell through the internet sometimes, but I am assuming that was a joke, right? Tacos? Healthy? HA
FlyRod
Also heard tonight Madden's will be closing. And I hope that's not true.
C XX I
Do you have a source on that?
nashvilleaggie11
Maddens closing? Now thats DEFINITELY a joke, FlyRod lol
FlyRod
No, its not. I heard it through pretty reliable sources. It has nothing to do with business being bad. Peter is tired of the restaurant and wants out.

Believe me, I wish I were wrong, and hope I am.

Let me qualify this and add its not clear whether he will close it, or sell it.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 6/4/2014 10:32p).]
PS3D
quote:
No, its not. I heard it through pretty reliable sources. It has nothing to do with business being bad. Peter is tired of the restaurant and wants out.

Believe me, I wish I were wrong, and hope I am.

Let me qualify this and add its not clear whether he will close it, or sell it.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 6/4/2014 10:32p).]

If he's selling out, then why are they announcing a new taco restaurant?
FlyRod
Because that's what he wants to do. He wants to do that instead of the restaurant.

I know Peter reasonably well. I take him at his word.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 6/4/2014 10:53p).]
GSS
quote:
Sloppy Joes at Rabbit Ln. and Tabor Rd. Soon.

Any relation to the previous Sloppy Joes that was on Texas Avenue?

Joe Fazzino is the new owner/operator, so yes.
FlyRod
Was told today that a second Flip and Peel will open in the shopping center where Dragon One is in Bryan, near Lowe's.
MisterShipWreck
quote:
Mistershipwreck - we've been looking at the construction there too. We didn't see plumbing going into the slab. Guessing maybe drive up storage units?? I don't think they would have to take out the pump thing for those.

Well, they pulled the one out behind Academy. I assume it ran dry.

They've redrilled that pump 3 times in the past few years. That's what has me wondering.

If THAT is all the storage space, it hardly seems work doing. We'll have to see...
Hammerheadjim
AG
Looks like MAACO in Bryan is closed.
PS3D
updated with new stuff, removed Lucky Nails from coming soon (but didn't put it on Recently Opened).
dgonzo99
Coldwater Creek is closing over close to Home Depot.
Ag2Max
AG
Coldwater Creek is closing nationwide not just in B/CS.
enchanted
Coldwater Creek was purchased by a company at auction so they may or may not close this location.
toolshed
AG
The sign I saw said everything was for sale, including store fixtures, so I doubt they'd be reopening if they have to refurnish the store.
nashvilleaggie11
In regards to Coldwater Creek, they are having a bankruptcy lease auction for all their stores nationwide. Auction won't take place until July 8th
dgonzo99
I have heard that Talbots and Jos. A. Bank could be the next to go. One rumor has Talbots moving south and Jos. A. Bank closing because of a merger with Mens Warehouse. Another has Talbots just completely closing. Also heard that Dillard's may move out of the mall and move south or even a little north close to Target. And also heard that JCP may move west to Rudder's Landing. These are just rumors. Anybody else heard this?

[This message has been edited by dgonzo99 (edited 6/8/2014 8:58p).]

[This message has been edited by dgonzo99 (edited 6/8/2014 8:59p).]
halibut sinclair
no
FlyRod
RafterAg223
AG
There is no Ann Taylor here.
C XX I
That's a whooole lotta rumors.
ComfortAg
AG
So what is the time-frame speculation on the Pappa's restaurant that will be replacing the Scott & White clinic?
Gigem314
AG
quote:
quote:I sure do wish someone would see that south college station has $$$$ to spend.

University drive is great, but other roads exist

If they have money to spend why don't they just drive their butt the whopping 2 miles to eat on University?

You don't get it. It isn't about the distance, it's about the location. The restaurants on University are conjested during the school year and gameday weekends, as is the parking. By having a few nice restaurants in South College Station, you're spreading things out. And it makes sense because there's a growing population there now. Just like it made sense for other places to open near the university.
halibut sinclair
^ South CS would be perfect for a new Blinn location.
FlyRod
Agreed. Plenty of land there to build a campus, and you could fit a lot of student renters into those Pebble Creek houses.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 6/9/2014 1:49p).]
techno-ag
AG
^^ Tsk. Such hostility toward the southies.

Gigem, how about Saltgrass Steakhouse, coming soon.
dgonzo99
techno-ag
FlyRod
stonebase
See site work starting next to the Taco Bell in Tower Point....any idea what is going in there?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.