Bryan/College Station - Coming & Going, Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2014)

522,009 Views | 1743 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ooshwa
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IIRC, the Mama's Pizza in Plano has some connection to the Mama's Pizza that used to be here in B/CS.
PS3D
quote:
Tacos Bueno was in Bryan many years ago on Villa Maria where Radio Shack is now. My Mom really liked it.

That was Taco Villa. Taco Bueno was in the Underground in Sbisa for a while, though.
carpe vinum
AG
yep, taco villa. they'd mix oatmeal into the meat to go further, but it was actually real good.
techno-ag
AG
quote:

Tell your friend's friend to stay away from the cursed former Roosters / former Sodalacks / former T Jones Bones / former whatever other business have died there location.

Yup. Definitely a reputation for being cursed.
halibut sinclair
Yup.
FlyRod
redd38
AG
quote:
Heard that a Laynes is going in on 29th in Bryan close to Blinn.

my sources tell me this isn't true
CDub06
AG
My source also says it's not true. As redd is my source for Laynes info...
dgonzo99
The owner of Laynes owns said property and is going before P&Z in Bryan to make changes to said property. Just look at the agenda for 3-11-14 SDRC, and you will clearly see it.

[This message has been edited by dgonzo99 (edited 3/6/2014 12:25p).]
dgonzo99
A 187 acre Subdivision is proposed for property off of 1179 in Bryan off of Thornberry.
redd38
AG
quote:
The owner of Laynes owns said property and is going before P&Z in Bryan to make changes to said property. Just look at the agenda for 3-11-14 SDRC, and you will clearly see it.

[This message has been edited by dgonzo99 (edited 3/6/2014 12:25p).]

He's not putting a Layne's there though.
halibut sinclair
New retail center going in on Wm. J. Bryan across from the post office and Raceway store.
dgonzo99
Exactly what is the owner of Layne's putting there?
redd38
AG
What's currently there is going to remain there, just a little improvement to it.
carpe vinum
AG
which corner are you two talking about?
dgonzo99
Across from the hospital right next to the old caswash. Last time I was there, there was nothing there but an office for Crestview. Hardy seems worth fixing up for low rent.

[This message has been edited by dgonzo99 (edited 3/6/2014 2:51p).]
carpe vinum
AG
That old seven eleven?
dgonzo99
Yes sir.
TLIAC
AG
Confirming AggieAces06 - a friend posted on FB that the Walgreens at Fitch and Hwy 6 opened today.
PS3D
I've gone to Blinn for two and a half years and worked at Village Foods for a while and I still have no idea which corner you guys refer to.
SoTheySay
S
Across from that station with BK, if I'm imagining it correctly.
PS3D
That was the Chevron with the auto station, correct, that closed recently?

I seem to recall that the land was (supposedly) to be bought by St. Joe's in another expansion project.
toolshed
AG
If it's across from the hospital and next to the carwash, it's the building that was the Mrs Baird's ? day old sale shop. It's been a couple of things since. There was a sandwich shop in one of the units, a computer repair and flower shop and I believe Crestview had an office there during their rebuilding.
PS3D
Yeah, it was a Mrs. Baird's Thrift Store there. I can't recall what replaced it (computer repair sounds about right), but I'm pretty sure it closed in late 2011 or early 2012.
diet c
AG
Is there a Murphy USA being placed in front of the CS WalMart? Looked like underground tanks were being buried today between Church's and Scholtzky's.
JavierC2005
quote:
Is there a Murphy USA being placed in front of the CS WalMart? Looked like underground tanks were being buried today between Church's and Scholtzky's.

Yes
aggiemom89
Does anyone know when Willie's is opening?
MAlovedphotography
joes doesnt own nor did they buy that gas station
Red Krow
I have been told second hand that Willie's is aiming for the 17th of March.

Anyone know when the west Bryan Walmart is opening? There has been a lot of cars there. Must take awhile to stock an entire Walmart.
CrazyAgE
West side WM opens Wed 3/12
PS3D
According to The Eagle, 75% of the sales tax from the Walmart goes back to the developer as part of the incentives package.

quote:
The Bryan City Council approved an economic development grant in July 2012 that would allow the developer of the land to receive a sales-tax reimbursement not to exceed $5 million. The developer can keep 75 percent of the generated sales tax for the first three years and 50 percent in the remaining 12 years until that $5 million mark is hit.

If you want to support Bryan's sales tax base, don't shop at the Villa Maria/2818 Walmart.
techno-ag
AG
Yeah nobody wanted to develop much on the west side, so the city dangled some carrots. In the chicken & egg question of retail & houses, it's hoped this spurs growth in the area.
FlyRod
Rexter
quote:
If you want to support Bryan's sales tax base, don't shop at the Villa Maria/2818 Walmart.

You're kidding, right? Sure, the developer gets 5mil back. The average WSC sales are 72.5m/yr. The rebate will be done in less than a year if it includes the full tax rate (state/local) assuming the store makes the average. You need to look at the bigger picture. What was the increase in property value, and the corresponding increase in taxes? How many more businesses will open in the area with the WSC as an anchor? It would be safe to say that the increase in property tax alone will be worth far more than the rebate. Like the old saying goes..... Ya gotta spend money to make money. Of course, it's not really spending that money since it hasn't come in yet, and it's possible that the development might have never occurred without the rebate, and there would never have been any increase in tax funds at all.

[This message has been edited by Rexter (edited 3/8/2014 1:56p).]
dgonzo99
techno-ag

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.