Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

235,195 Views | 1184 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by drred4
japantiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Stopped at a water hole to look for tracks. Everyone fanned out and I was with my PH about 100 yds from the water...we almost walked right into this guy coming into the hole. @20 yds we surprised each other...he turned and ran and so did we...run seems unnmanly...how about we moved to new ground briskly. This is a teenager.
OnlyForNow
AG
Great quote, "we moved to new ground briskly."
agracer
AG
Old Sarge said:

A buddy of mine's dad has a house in the country with mounts of all kinds animals he has killed. Before this thread and some of the "mount room" pics, I thought he had covered a lot of stuff in North America and quite a bit of African stuff. He had given up rifle shooting at some point because it was not really challenging, and collected much of the animals with a bow, and now "that was not getting challenging enough". I asked "what are you going to do now, drop out of a tree with a knife in your teeth and stab away?" He laughed, and said he was working on something. That was years ago. From what I have heard, he has not taken an animal since unless the shot was 1000+ yards.

FWIW, I use their range for sighting in my rifles. At 100 yards. The 1000 yard target is on a couple of small hills away.

FFFFFFF that is a long shot.
. Shooting at animals from that range is irresponsible as hell. Even the best shooters miss judge the wind sometimes and you end up just injuring an animal and it runs off and does a long painful death.
OnlyForNow
AG
That's my thoughts.

Target shooting 1,000+ yards, ok cool. But shooting big game at that range seems... dumb.
TxAG-010
AG
I agree....But please, everybody lets not derail the greatest thread the OB has had in years with this debate.
Take it to a new thread if yall want to talk 1000 yard shots.

Carry on Japantiger! Good luck.
suburban cowboy
AG
hurry up and kill some more. we are all feening.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Seriously, would anyone be surprised if japantigers next post included a pic of him behind a velociraptor?

Raptor threads :-(
SquirrellyDan
AG
FriscoAggieFan said:

Seriously, would anyone be surprised if japantigers next post included a pic of him behind a velociraptor?

Raptor threads :-(
I think I'd prefer that Rhino to a velociraptor, but if he happens across a raptor I'll take a look too.
98Ag99Grad
AG
TxAG-010 said:

I agree....But please, everybody lets not derail the greatest thread the OB has had in years with this debate.
Take it to a new thread if yall want to talk 1000 yard shots.

Carry on Japantiger! Good luck.
japantiger
S
Can't tell from this photo, but his right Tusk was broken off . So he's already been into a bunch of scraps.

We are looking for Big, Old, Bulls. Here is a photo example. We saw this at a water hole and we t back to check this afternoon....no luck...for perspective, big is 2 full boot prints long.
AgLA06
AG
Your telling us the trackers can tell from a track that one of his tusks is broken off?!?
carl spacklers hat
Given the quality of the rest of his posts, and animals taken so far, I'd have to say "yes."
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
AgLA06
AG
japantiger said:

Well, this one's left ear hangs about 1" lower to the right and jerks off too much.

Sure.
japantiger
S
AgLA06 said:

Your telling us the trackers can tell from a track that one of his tusks is broken off?!?

Sorry, I was still referencing the elephant photo above for that comment.
Naveronski
AG
AgLA06 said:

I could see that playing out like a prank on the new guy.

Guide points at the track and tells him the animal's life story, including gait/tusks/preferred scent.
"You can tell all that from a track?!"
"Yep!" (And because he's watched the animal for the past 7 years, has cameras up everywhere, and knows the animals lineage)
saysomethin
AG
Best African hunting books?
Capstick, Ruark.????

Someone mentioned White Hunters by Herne.

Need something to read and this is getting me fired up.
www.absarokabeartooth.com
nealan
Horn of the Hunter. Ruark
That's my take. Capstick is entertaining but supposedly his stories are quite often embellished/stolen from others
japantiger
S
AgLA06 said:

I read this like Michael Palin telling King Arthur " so your saying coconuts are migratory"
japantiger
S
AgLA06 said:

I read this like Michael Palin telling King Arthur " so your saying coconuts are migratory"
japantiger
S
Camp...my tent and common building....
japantiger
S
Camp...my tent and common building....
Nagler
AG
I like this one

[url] https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/safari-a-chronicle-of-adventure_bartle-bull/387034/#edition=30214272&idiq=53729038[/url]
AgEng06
AG
This thread is so awesome.
lurker76
saysomethin said:

Best African hunting books?
Capstick, Ruark.????

Someone mentioned White Hunters by Herne.

Need something to read and this is getting me fired up.
Yes, White Hunters, by Herne is another good read. Some of the books not mentioned are:
  • Robert Ruark's Africa, which, if I remember correctly, is an account of a trip he made to Africa in the 60's after not having been back in some time.
  • Lost Classics by Ruark
  • Warrior - The Legend of Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen, by Capstick
  • The Last Ivory Hunter, by Capstick
There is also a series of books written by various authors which St. Martin's Press reprinted. The books are based on Capstick's library from his younger days.
  • African Hunger by Von Blixen-Finecke
  • Big Game Hunting and Collecting in East Africa, 1903-1926, by Kittenberger
  • African Game Trail, by Teddy Roosevelt. It details his African trip after his presidency and I found it very dry and not as interesting as I thought it would be.
  • Memories of an African Hunter, Denis D. Lyell
  • The Man-eaters of Tsavo, by Col. John H. Patterson. The movie The Ghost and the Darkness is based on this story.
  • After Big Game in Africa, by Foa.
  • Kill or Be Killed, by Foran
Nealan mentioned that Capstick supposedly embellished or stole his stories. I don't know about that, but I was introduced to his work in some outdoors magazines, such as Outdoor Life and others. He had a monthly column that featured stories about his hunting experiences, which lead to his books. He did admit that he was inspired by Hemingway and Ruark and emulated them in his hunting and writing.
MAROON
AG
Speaking of Hemingway, Green Hills of Africa, and the Short happy like of Francis Macomber should be on any safari list

The Safari book by Bartle Bull is a nice history of safari.
japantiger
S
Full day 2 in the books and sitting in front of a fire looking at the Milky Way overhead. No big old bulls today...but saw Elephants.

Not a hunting book, but Into Africa by Dugard, the story of Livingstone and Stanley and the search for the origins of the Nile. The privations and hardships folks encountered during these great explorations is humbling. Also, just the coincidences that pop up in life are better than any fiction.
nealan
Green Hills of Africa is pretty good. I always found Hemingway a bit wordy
nealan
As a young child, I recall an outdoor writer friend of ours telling me that Capstick got most of his material from drunks at bars. But, maybe our friend just wasn't a Capstick fan for some reason.
japantiger
S
Taken on an iPhone on a 10 second exposure night setting. We're standing at the fire pit looking up at this. Southern Cross and pointers visible in photo
krosch11
AG
Wow. Now that is a dark sky
lurker76
There very well could be some professional jealousy, but I also have no doubt some of the stories were "borrowed" from others. Either way, I always enjoyed his work.
nealan
I would add Death in the Long Grass (Capstick) to the reading list
aggiesundevil4
AG
I think japantiger needs to write a book…OB what should it be called?
nealan
The Tiger takes Down the Big 5
TAMU77CLAY
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

I think japantiger needs to write a book…OB what should it be called?
"How To Make 50 Day Safari Money"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.