Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

234,541 Views | 1179 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by japantiger
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Assuming JT's reference to the primer plate being gone means he had a blown primer...

Overpressure with a stuck case is usually the COAL being a bit too long and the neck not being trimmed to spec. Also from what I have read 375HH has sticking issues occasionally from the shallow shoulder.
japantiger
S
W TX Refugee said:

May be a stupid question, but did you get a picture of the claws on the lion and leopard. Curious what they look like.
No, didn't take a claw picture...they are long and curl and razor sharp.

cupofjoe04
AG
japantiger said:

It took all of us...it weighed well over a thousand pounds. We used a wench to get it on the truck.

WOW, that is one heck of a woman...

Apparently, African Croc Wench > German Beer Wench
japantiger
S
Bregxit said:

Assuming JT's reference to the primer plate being gone means he had a blown primer...

Overpressure with a stuck case is usually the COAL being a bit too long and the neck not being trimmed to spec. Also from what I have read 375HH has sticking issues occasionally from the shallow shoulder.

Yes, a blown primer with burnt streaks across the base. I have seen a whole box of shells like you describe, too long and neck not being trimmed, but not one round in a box. But I don't know what else explains it. I inspected all the ammo after that...
japantiger
S
japantiger said:

W TX Refugee said:

May be a stupid question, but did you get a picture of the claws on the lion and leopard. Curious what they look like.
No, didn't take a claw picture...they are long and curl and razor sharp.

How do I get this stuff reviewed? The images are same image for leopard as posted for lion....not sure what the filter is triggered about.
CanyonAg77
AG
It's a glitch in the TexAgs software, probably. It doesn't filter by content.

Only thing I can guess is if it's .png instead of .jpg. Or perhaps, the random letters in the link accidentally spell some word that TexAgs filters.

For a while, you couldn't use ****, and I had to get creative when posting about the death of the great Agronomy Prof, Murry MIlford '55

edit: well, you still can't use the acronym for "Mother I would Like to Fornicate) But prof MIlford's name is okay
japantiger
S
ShouldastayedataTm said:

So from a trophy standpoint, what are you shipping back? Are you doing full body mounts, head and shoulders, depends on the animal, what are you planning?
For most of the plains game, I am having them prepared for a Wall Pedestal mount....some of those I will convert to just standard shoulder mount once back here...just want the flexibility. Will mount the 4 Springbok together.
For bushbuck, warthog, steenbok will do full body and use with dangerous game mounts
A few European mounts but I don't remember just which ones right now
Lion, leopard, croc full body
Getting Rhino and Elephant panels and skull/ivory. Will likely have fiberglass replica's done for wall mounts and use the ivory in a different way...
Hippo skull

sanitariex
AG
Can not wait to see your trophy room when it's all done
ShouldastayedataTm
Thanks, throw me onto to list that cannot wait to see the pictures of them when complete. Sounds amazing.
aggiepaintrain
AG
sanitariex said:

will it ever be?
TacosaurusRex
japantiger said:

ShouldastayedataTm said:

So from a trophy standpoint, what are you shipping back? Are you doing full body mounts, head and shoulders, depends on the animal, what are you planning?
For most of the plains game, I am having them prepared for a Wall Pedestal mount....some of those I will convert to just standard shoulder mount once back here...just want the flexibility. Will mount the 4 Springbok together.
For bushbuck, warthog, steenbok will do full body and use with dangerous game mounts
Getting Rhino and Elephant panels and skull/ivory. Will likely have fiberglass replica's done for wall mounts and use the ivory in a different way...
Hippo skull

Full body on the croc!? What are you going to do, hang him from the ceiling like one of those old planes at a museum?
muleshoe
AG
japantiger……how is your Mom doing? Might have missed something posted earlier. Hope she is doing good and getting better.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

CentralTXag said:

That Rhino was especially impressive. Following this thread has just reconfirmed an African safari (or 2) on the bucket list! I'll be just down the road as well (Spicewood) once our house is completed.
This has been a great thread. I've been to Africa multiple times and can't wait to go back. Thus following this thread.

If you ever get a chance to do a Safari in Africa... seize the opportunity. Whether it includes actual hunting, there is nothing that will prepare you for the experience of being and seeing Africa. The views, the smells... the sounds.
this times 100.
ranchag04
AG
I love hunting but I want to go to Africa with nothing but my wife and a camera.
Claude!
ranchag04 said:

I love hunting but I want to go to Africa with nothing but my wife and a camera.
Take along some pants, at least.
AtlAg05
AG
TacosaurusRex said:

japantiger said:

ShouldastayedataTm said:

Hippo skull

Full body on the croc!? What are you going to do, hang him from the ceiling like one of those old planes at a museum?

Who needs a regular old coffee table when you could have a full size crocodile one?
Cromagnum
AG
sanitariex said:

japantiger
S
muleshoe said:

japantiger……how is your Mom doing? Might have missed something posted earlier. Hope she is doing good and getting better.
Thanks for asking. She is being discharged from the skilled nursing and returned home this morning. Getting things lined up for wound care at home has been quite a challenge. But the good news is the infection has been dealt with and the wound is improving; just slowly given her age.

Pretty clear though from talking to my brother that this has all taken a lot out of her. He stamina has been sapped.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What about the young PH? Last we heard he was having a rough time.
Scriffer
AG
I'm a non hunting dummy who has been following this thread. I may have missed it, but what does PH mean? For the life of me I can't figure it out
cupofjoe04
AG
Scriffer said:

I'm a non hunting dummy who has been following this thread. I may have missed it, but what does PH mean? For the life of me I can't figure it out

Professional Hunter.

It's a full-time hunting guide in Africa.
Daddy-O5
AG
Don't feel bad. We'd made it quite a few pages of using the term PH before I woke up and I realized I had no freaking clue what it stood for. Somehow figured it out on the google.
SteveBott
AG
Thanks cup. I wondered the same. I went with personal handler in my head.
ratfacemcdougal
Is one taxidermist doing all of the work? Austin guy ? Estimated time to finish everything ?
muleshoe
AG
Thats good to hear. Glad she is getting better....no place like home!
RK
AG
ranchag04 said:

If also like to go with your wife and a camera.
cupofjoe04
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

Is one taxidermist doing all of the work? Austin guy ? Estimated time to finish everything ?
I would quit my job enroll in taxidermy school if he kept me on retainer.

JapanTiger - please tell me where to send my resume.
cupofjoe04
AG
RK said:

ranchag04 said:

If also like to go with your wife and a camera.

I knew this was coming eventually when I read that post. But dang if it didn't still burn!
japantiger
S
ratfacemcdougal said:

Probably 2 this time...both Houston based...Conroe Taxidermy has done most of my stuff previously but will be using Brush Country as well this time. Conroe does good work...just getting backed up. I have 13 pieces with them now.
cupofjoe04
AG
japantiger said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

Probably 2 this time...both Houston based...Conroe Taxidermy has done most of my stuff previously but will be using Brush Country as well this time. Conroe does good work...just getting backed up. I have 13 pieces with them now.
I second Conroe Taxidermy as well.
I used them for an elk. I went up to their place when dropping off, and one of the owners took the time to walk me around and gave me great advice on my pose. We must have looked at 50 mounts, considering all sorts of things. He took quite a bit of time and gave me great advice. They did excellent work, and shipped it to Colorado (because I moved between dropping it off and it being done) at a great price.
cledus6150
AG
The animals from my parents second safari are leaving pro cargo today and heading to woods and water taxidermy. Dad really liked rowdy's work and he has had pretty good turn around times so far.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'm using Conroe for my dall ram. Glad to see you guys have had good experiences.
japantiger
S
cupofjoe04 said:

Scriffer said:

Professional Hunter.

It's a full-time hunting guide in Africa.
Yes, PH's are required to pass a rigorous apprenticeship and certification to get the license. Each country has their own requirements but in general, in addition to the apprenticeship period, you have to be able to ID all the flora and fauna of the country you are hunting in and basically be able to read the birth certificate of any animal you see in the wild; as there are age requirements for taking many of the animals.
cupofjoe04
AG
Wow, being able to age such a wide variety of animals must be demanding. Just look at how many people struggle to age a whitetail. Or can't tell the difference between a stag and an elk.

How many different species would you say most areas/PH's are responsible for? Are they focusing on 8-10, or are we talking about guys that know the intimate details of 20+ species?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This is the OB. Most of us here can tell the age of a whitetail down to the week, their B&C score down to the 1/4", and if they had cotton seed or protein for breakfast. Additionally, we're also experts in identifying non-indigenous species commonly found in Texas, including, but not limited to:

Aoudad (both kinds)
Black Panthers
Dikfers

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.