Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

235,248 Views | 1184 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by drred4
japantiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SPF250
AG
Gunga la gunga.
arrow
AG
I finally finished Ruark's Horn of the Hunter last night.
I read Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa a few years ago.

It's true what Hemingway said (butchered quote):
"you're not interested in hunting Africa because you've never read a book about hunting Africa".

As stated, japantiger's safari is amazing. As good or better than the ones I've read about in the 1930s and 1950s. I'm so happy to know that things like this can still exist.

I'd make the drive and bring the whisky to lean up against that pool table and hear about it all first hand! Thanks for sharing!
agracer
AG
TexDill15 said:

So these are the opportunities my parents said I could have if I just tried harder at all levels of school.

I want to go on a 50 day Safari.
yes and no.

A family member, who has a GED, makes more in a month than most educated people I know make in a year.

He was willing to risk losing it all to get where he is. In fact, he did lose it all once but found a way to get it back.

Most people get comfortable and aren't willing to lose everything in a risky self owned business. Most people I know who are truly rich, run their won companies. They don't work for someone else.
rednecked
AG
japantiger said:

Sea Speed said:

japantiger said:

Internet not as good here. Tried to upload some more photos and they just won't go. Will try to sort out details tonight.

Happy to watch away Aggie games with anyone that wants to come over...

Just pm me your address. Probably need to consult an eviction attorney too.

I'm feeling a bit like Chevy Chase talking to Bill Murray in Caddy Shack about now
Apache
AG
Quote:

Most people get comfortable and aren't willing to lose everything in a risky self owned business. Most people I know who are truly rich, run their won companies. They don't work for someone else.
100%. Gotta be willing to put it out on the line & take risks. Luck & timing both play a part as well.

Guy I graduated HS with was probably a high C student, never went to college. Redneck crazy and tough as hell. Fixed up a used bulldozer & went to work, scratched out a living for nearly 20 years until the Eagleford hit. Started building pads for multiple oil companies. 11 years later he has operations from South Texas to New Mexico building pads, roads, etc. Dude has a boat that is worth more than my house!
japantiger
S
This is the scene
jmm
japantiger said:

jmm said:

japantiger said:

We're in Bee Cave; SW of the people's republic of Austin.

Just east of you in Barton creek. Send a note when you get back and we will have a braai My neighbor owns a large farm adjoining Kruger and is on the African National Parks board. There are several Africa hunters in the hood. We will get a good fire going and pass the Amarula.

Happy to do it...but I can't get my wife to come if you don't have Six Dogs Gin
We have several botanical gins at the house. Our daily go to is Monkey 47. I will order Six Dogs.
japantiger
S
2 Baits secured...

2 locations hung ...will likely hang 5 tomorrow

japantiger
S
Busy day. We had to bring my PH back to camp mid day...he was apparently having allergic reaction to tsetse fly bites. Heart racing, face flushed, clammy....he's doing better tonight. It is not uncommon for this to happen....his back was covered with bites. Young guy wearing thin shirt....lots of bites....me, old guy wearing base layer and shirt to prevent tsetse bites...no bites....they are inevitable, but no need to beg for them to bite you.
blackgoldag11
AG
Who's on croc watch when they are retrieving the hippo
MAROON
AG
nothing worse than Tsetse flies. Those little ****ers are ruthless.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
AnScAggie
AG
Besides the "Nazi's" quote about coolest thing you've ever shot, this thread is the greatest thing to ever happen to the TexAgs OB!
cupofjoe04
AG
Once Japantiger is done with this epicness- can someone put together a mosaic of all his pics? Maybe even just having all the harvested animals in one or two posts. I don't think many are fully grasping what is being accomplished here…
japantiger
S
Internet down here yesterday.

7 baits up...4 lion, 3 leopard. Photos below of putting up the Impala leopard bait.

Eventful day. Having to evac my PH. Please say prayers for the young man. We don't know what is wrong, but he's struggling and needs to get help. Coming out on plane later today.

My Mom is out of the hospital and in skilled nursing for a week to ensure infection is gone before returning to her assisted living. Appreciate the prayers.

I wrote a long note last nite that didn't go and lost it when internet went down ... Will have some more time this afternoon and will re type then.

aggiesundevil4
AG
So sorry for your PH, hope he recovers well. May not just be the tsetse bites either, could be a combo of kidney infection, malaria, a blood clot or tick bite fever, I learned from living in Angola for two years that the little things are way more dangerous than the big things. Good to hear your mother is on the mend at least!
japantiger
S
We were coming back in yesterday afternoon and got to a spot where there were a group of Kudu bulls ~100 yds out grazing on our right and not too interested in us. We had gone past a group of elephants on our left and they had turned and moved into the forest. We stopped to glass the Kudu and see what else was around.

All of a sudden we heard thundering steps and trumpeting. I turned and a cow had her head down, ears back, trumpeting loudly and repeatedly and was barreling down on us. I let out a yell to Alastair . I'm not saying it was a manly Marine Corp oohraah....I'm not saying it was a little girl scream either... somewhere in-between ...you decide. But we got Alastairs attention and he looked and mashed the gas. Everyone held on for dear life and the elephant kept coming...we heard her rumbling thru the brush and trumpeting for about 200 more yds. Shed gotten within about 20 yds of the truck and was intent on mayhem. After 4 mock charged on this hunt, now I've seen the real one.
normaleagle05
AG
That'll ground your thinking!
MAROON
AG
By chance was it a tuskless cow?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
japantiger
S
aggiesundevil4 said:

So sorry for your PH, hope he recovers well. May not just be the tsetse bites either, could be a combo of kidney infection, malaria, a blood clot or tick bite fever, I learned from living in Angola for two years that the little things are way more dangerous than the big things. Good to hear your mother is on the mend at least!

Yes, we're out of our depth here on this... malaria is definitely a consideration... conflicting info on that where we were in Namibia regarding it...I took meds, he did not.

He is just laid low right now...sweats, heart racing, lack of energy, foggy head...hard to see this energetic young man so down physically
japantiger
S
cupofjoe04 said:

Once Japantiger is done with this epicness- can someone put together a mosaic of all his pics? Maybe even just having all the harvested animals in one or two posts. I don't many are fully grasping what is being accomplished here…

I'll put something out when I get back...
japantiger
S

japantiger
S
The claws on the tree are from a leopard trying to hit a lion bait. Game cam shows Big leopard. Some photos had him jumping up trying to get it. He eventually climbed up tree (hence the claw marks) but couldn't get the bait because it hung too low. We took lion bait down, cut a chunk out to put up a leopard bait higher in tree and then re-hung lion bait also. Built a platform for the leopard to stand on and then built a blind. Will check game cam footage in the morning and assuming he came back, will sit that bait and refresh baits as needed.
agrams
AG
generally, are the hippos overpopulated or normally harvested for food by any of the locals? I can't imagine what type of meat a hippo has.
japantiger
S
agrams said:

generally, are the hippos overpopulated or normally harvested for food by any of the locals? I can't imagine what type of meat a hippo has.

Not overpopulated...yes, the locals love hippo. Have had hippo flank steak efore ...tuff, but edible. Given level of poverty in these areas, they eat everything....elephant ears, hippo balls, etc
agrams
AG
is there a particular favorite animal the locals like the meat from? Or is it more about quantity and the size of the animal?
japantiger
S
No, had tusks
japantiger
S
Hippo is a favorite when talking to the hunting team... quantity, yes; they also like the hi fat content.
japantiger
S
Baits view standing beside the blind
carl spacklers hat
japantiger said:

Sea Speed said:

japantiger said:

Internet not as good here. Tried to upload some more photos and they just won't go. Will try to sort out details tonight.

Happy to watch away Aggie games with anyone that wants to come over...

Just pm me your address. Probably need to consult an eviction attorney too.

I'm feeling a bit like Chevy Chase talking to Bill Murray in Caddy Shack about now
"Pool. Pond. Pond would be good for you."
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
japantiger
S
This was outside my window at 1:00 am two nites ago. In camp every nite munching and grunting.
japantiger
S

japantiger
S

Badace52
AG
That thing is beautiful!! If you're ever looking to sell...
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I think that's where he's staying, not his house.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.