Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

235,277 Views | 1184 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by drred4
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

My bags are still packed, but with each passing day I take out another set of clothes and 6 pack of beer from my luggage. No calls from Africa received either.

Literally, this is the only TexAgs hookup any of us would be interested in seeing. We have got to find a way to make this happen, and document it!!!!
giddings_ag_06
AG
Me when I get there:

Maroon Saloon

Colt98
AG
Why would we ever want to inflict the luck of Giddings on any man???
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Either Hemingway or Capstick wrote that you have to chain smoke when you're sitting in a leopard hide. Have you been chain smoking?
Apache
AG
It was Capstick.
Drillbit4
AG
Nothing like driving around with a 2 day old rotting hippo carcass beneath your feet as you go from bait to bait while swatting futility at Tsetse flies in the heat. Then sit for hours with absolutely no action. But it's all worth it for the 30 seconds of adrenalin when he finally shows up. Good luck!
japantiger
S
Drillbit4 said:

Nothing like driving around with a 2 day old rotting hippo carcass beneath your feet as you go from bait to bait while swatting futility at Tsetse flies in the heat. Then sit for hours with absolutely no action. But it's all worth it for the 30 seconds of adrenalin when he finally shows up. Good luck!

You left out watching the gut bucket swell in the heat until the lid explodes and showers the bed in blood, **** and guts...
Baron von Bulsh
I can smell that post
TAMU77CLAY
AG
japantiger said:

I am now on my 24th (combined hunting trips) days of leopard hunting. I've helped hang 34 bait sites, some with multiple refreshes, set on baits 12 different times; close to 50 hours. I've shot 13 animals total for baits (3 hippos in that number). I've had 0 shots on a leopard and have seen 0 mature males on bait. I've seen 5 females and 3 immature mails on bait.

JAPAN, HAD SIMILAR EFFORTS AND LOTS OF NITES IN A PLASTIC CHAIR WAITING FOR MR. SPOTS AND FINALLY ON THE 15TH NITE OF A 14 DAY HUNT CONNECTED ON A BRUT AROUND 9 AT NITE. HANG IN PARTNER AND KEEP HUNTING HARD AND YOU WILL BE AWARDED. LOVE YOUR POST AND LET AFRICA TAKE YOU OVER.
japantiger
japantiger
S
Game Cam....Back in blind tonight and morning as needed....
Hungry Ojos
agrams
AG
when you sit at night, how are you seeing the target? ambient light? green lights? different scope? or hoping he shows up in twilight/dusk/dawn?
bdgol07
AG
What is the difference between a leopard and tiger bait spot? Height of the bait?
El Chupacabra
If I had all of the money in the world, the last thing (actually the never thing) I would do is go on a Safari...no interest and not a huge hunter. But this thread is awesome, with cool pictures and great write ups and explanations. And it's good to see successful people contributing to actual game management and anti poaching efforts through their actions and finances. As opposed to the crazies that would rather watch a rhino die for $0 as opposed to letting someone hunt it for real money that actually helps something. I skimmed through the first few pages a week or two ago, but finally took the time to read all posts from front to back...awesome read, keep it up!
TexDill15
AG
Is there a guy assigned to watching your back? Or what king of blind are you sitting in?

Just wondering what is keeping the leopard or lion from stalking y'all while sitting on the bait?
AgLA06
AG
TexDill15 said:

Is there a guy assigned to watching your back? Or what king of blind are you sitting in?

Just wondering what is keeping the leopard or lion from stalking y'all while sitting on the bait?

I'm guessing the dude that crawls into hyena dens with a knife in his teeth.
CanyonAg77
AG
I said pretty much the same thing earlier. Not my thing, either, but good for OP for doing something he loves that benefits African people and wildlife.

And thanks to Japantiger for unselfishly sharing with us

Can't be said too often
AgLA06
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I said pretty much the same thing earlier. Not my thing, either, but good for OP for doing something he loves that benefits African people and wildlife.

Can't be said too often

That's where I'm at. I think New Zealand would be my destination if I ever was able to scrape up the cash. But this thread is awesome.
japantiger
S
No luck..headed back out. We think he came up to the blind at one point and then moved off. Something did, don't think it made enough noise to be a hyena...so most likely the leopard. This is a case where more patients was probably in order and we could have let the blind sit empty for 24 hours
cupofjoe04
AG
Stay after it, you'll catch him slipping up!!! Good luck
japantiger
S
CanyonAg77 said:

Can't be said too often

Nyakolwe set up and staffs 15 Game Scout stations on the concession. Each is manned by 2 scouts that operate rotating 2 hour patrols for anti poaching and game ID efforts. Half the stations are full time employees from the village. The other half operate 3 month rotations to give part time work. The village has about 300 residents...Chinsembwe, Zambia.
japantiger
S
Long long day yesterday .
Be in blind tonight .
Internet down yesterday
blackgoldag11
AG
At least I have this thread to look forward to since the Aggies **** the bed
japantiger
S
japantiger said:

No luck..headed back out. We think he came up to the blind at one point and then moved off. Something did, don't think it made enough noise to be a hyena...so most likely the leopard. This is a case where more patients was probably in order and we could have let the blind sit empty for 24 hours

Amending this . Too many baboons around for leopard to have gotten that close. They go nuts when they are around . The issue was blind place ment. Bad wind. Moved bait to a better spot . We'll see
japantiger
S
Phone broke in Namibia . Down to half a usable screen . Messages more cryptic until I can get in front of a computer
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
japantiger
S

“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
japantiger
S
Advice to young me
Buy a Land cruiser and never sell it
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
japantiger
S
Headed out...have a lion on bait and will see game cam view this morning. A lion stole a bait yesterday...hippo quarter. Moving another bait to that spot and will secure with chain. Will set leopard tonight. He came back to 1st bait that lions had been coming in on....PH was right.
DDSO
AG
Go get em. We could all use a pick me up after that game.
japantiger
S
bdgol07 said:

What is the difference between a leopard and tiger bait spot? Height of the bait?

Yes,size and height. Lion gets full hippo quarter ... leopard gets half a hippo neck for example .
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
japantiger said:

A lion stole a bait yesterday...hippo quarter. Moving another bait to that spot and will secure with chain.

Wow
neAGle96
AG
japantiger said:

Advice to young me

When I was in South Africa we rented a Toyota 4Tunner to take to Kruger National Park. Nice vehicle between a 4Runner and land cruiser. It' would be nice if they were available here
Naveronski
AG
neAGle96 said:

japantiger said:

Advice to young me

When I was in South Africa we rented a Toyota 4Tunner to take to Kruger National Park. Nice vehicle between a 4Runner and land cruiser. It' would be nice if they were available here

Sorry, what did you rent?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.