Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

282,031 Views | 1421 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Cromagnum
japantiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Bontebok...a very nice one...but check out the view...

Shot this guy behind the shoulder...he bucked and ran about 100 yds and stopped. After a minute he trotted another 100 yds further and went down. We started walking toward him and got to within about 100 yds. At that point he got up and started walking back toward the other Bontebok and got mixed in with them. We used some cover and closed about 100 yds. I dot back on the sticks. He was hurting and not running at this point, so I just waited until he presented a better profile. He was about to get to a thicket so I shot him just behind his ribs....he dropped.

The original shot was about 3" back of the shoulder ....but the exit wound was well back. So he was quarterd much more than I gave allowance for. The second shot at 200yds cut across him diagonally and came out his shoulder, so it went right where it needed to be. He had gone close to 450+ yds.

Lots of rain last nite. Overcast and temps in the mid 60s today. Going to look for Cape Kudu next.
aggiesundevil4
AG
That looks identical to my blesbok - is it really a different species?
fullback44
AG
This is the ultimate Texags thread, if you're into hunting or outdoors or just nature in general, this thread is the all time leader. Thank you and what a refreshing thread to read and see all the amazing pictures. We can all dream of a vacation / adventure like yours
AgLawman
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

Blesbok typically have a divided white patch on their face/forehead. Bonteboks do not.
japantiger
S
AgLawman said:

aggiesundevil4 said:

Blesbok typically have a divided white patch on their face/forehead. Bonteboks do not.

Cousins for sure, but also a more delineated 2 tone coat and The front of the Horns on older males will take on an ivory color where Blesbok will stay black. Body size and type no real difference.
japantiger
S
Drove about an hour N of Port Alfred to kick off Eastern Cape Kudu hunting. Hunted about 2.5 hours and the rains came. Great Kudu country. Mountainous and thick. Saw 3 cows, no bulls in this short time. Out of the rain now and looking forward to a fire and Scotch.
Hwy30East
So what's happened in Africa in the last 24 hours??????
japantiger
S
Long hunting day...started early.....finished late

B-1 83
AG
japantiger said:

Oribi...they hide in plain site. Shot was at 120yds with him crunched down in the grass. You basically fire into the grass because all you can see is face and spikes sticking up. Very skiddish.

Darn things will bolt out of the grass right under your feet and scare the bejesus out of you!
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
japantiger
japantiger
S
Long morning stalk in on 4 females. Sat on the sticks for 45 minutes and watched them walk back and forth across a small clearing 70 yds away. No bull ever came out...total of about 3 hours effort.
japantiger
S
This afternoon we went back again to the area we saw the 3 females yesterday. Saw one in the distance and no bulls. We left the truck to watch that area and Talon, Bolgani and I set out on foot for the next two hours. It all culminated with us chasing a bull that turned out to be too young. A long time on the ground today climbing and beating brush.

Bolgani can track a ghost!

Tomorrow we are going to the general are we shot the bushbuck and try there.
japantiger
S
After 2 days of damp, blustery, chilly weather; not a cloud in the sky, 6-8knot winds...just a beautiful day for hunting. Time to catch a nice bull sunning.
japantiger
S
Lunch break....no Kudu sightings. Wind now gusting 15-20. Tracked a group of mountain feedback for 1.5 hours. One old male. Got in position to shoot and waited for him to come out from behind some bushes while the females milled around in the open. He moved and bedded down. Talon and Thulani ruled him too small.

We had run uphill about 500 yds (the morning warmup)...lost them. Came off the hill and drove around to the top of the hill roughly another 300 yds beyond where we had turned around. We re-aquired them coming down the hill and had moved moved on our butt's down to an old tree i had planned to use for shooting sticks. Nice work but no joy.

We moved locations and saw a Grey duiker bedded down and stalked in on it. A great job moving from ~400yds out to within 20 yds. Too young.

Everything we see now is bedded down in the wind and we aren't seeing much.

Gonna try a new place this afternoon and hope the winds settle down.
Big Bucks
AG
Glad you are in good shape!
MAROON
AG
Being on the sticks that long is exhausting!
japantiger
S
The wind never eased. We saw 4 females but 0 bulls. Thw rut is supposed to be starting but don't see evidence of that yet. Lots of driving and glassing. We finally just moved into a good spot about 30 minutes before last light just in case something came out. Nyala, impala warthog....no EC Kudu.

We're out early in a new location this morning. Wind is better this morning. Expect some early movement...hoping for early movement.
japantiger
S
Last night's sky
japantiger
S
Animal eye spy

japantiger
S
Sunny day, minimal wind
japantiger
S
Ran out of daylight on the track of a mature bull. Headed out now.

japantiger
S
No EC Kudu joy...moved on to Zululand yesterday early.

When I come back for WC Kudu, it will be later into early June to be sure and catch the rut. This land was thicker than a 70s Playboy models muff.

Did 3 hours on the ground looking for Suni late yesterday. No luck. Great experience seeing this tracker work. Saw several female and one male that bolted before we could get into position to shoot. And I have to say I would have likely missed it given I was basically going to be leaning on my side with only my butt in the ground and lots of foliage in the way. As I was getting into shooting position they took the shotgun away and handed me the rifle as it was too far for shotgun.

Going into a blind this morning before sun up for round 2.
japantiger
S
No EC Kudu joy...moved on to Zululand yesterday early.

When I come back for WC Kudu, it will be later into early June to be sure and catch the rut. This land was thicker than a 70s Playboy models muff.

Did 3 hours on the ground looking for Suni late yesterday. No luck. Great experience seeing this tracker work. Saw several female and one male that bolted before we could get into position to shoot. And I have to say I would have likely missed it given I was basically going to be leaning on my side with only my butt in the ground and lots of foliage in the way. As I was getting into shooting position they took the shotgun away and handed me the rifle as it was too far for shotgun.

Going into a blind this morning before sun up for round 2.
aggiesundevil4
AG
"This land was thicker than a 70s Playboy models muff."

Laughing so hard at this
RO519
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

Laughing so hard at this
japantiger is a freaking TexAgs legend for this thread then drops this fantastic line.

This thread delivers!
japantiger
S
On the way out of lodge this morning

japantiger
S
aggiesundevil4 said:

Laughing so hard at this

This is how and where you stalk on Suni...

I called this area Miss December 1979
japantiger
S
3 hours night before last, went into the field at 6:00 am yesterday amd came out at dark. The whole day was like the video above in adjacent hunting areas. No luck. We'd see females or by the time the call was made on it being shootable, it was out of range or access. Thick country where these things all hide. The guide is very patient, methodical and silent.

We went out at 6:00 again today into an area where we had finished up yesterday. At some point it was a utility easement but now just a long clearing with thicket on either side. Just before last light last night I had been on the sticks on a female at the edge of the clearing.
japantiger
S
We moved down the clearing on the edge of the thicket about 500 yds. We saw two red Duiker in the distance and one instantly raised it's head to catch the wind. Talon got me on the sticks, but he was gone before he could say for sure it was a male....and the other disappeared in the thicket. We kept moving.

Another few hundred yds down we saw movement to our right in the thicket but whatever was there didn't stick around.
japantiger
S
About another 30 yds down there was another clearing to the right that's ~10 yds wide x 100yds long. Thicket on each side and a big tree (8 ft across) near the end. We turned down it and after 10 yds Talon pointed and put up the sticks...I got on them. He whispered "to the left of the tree moving to the right". I saw him disappear behind the tree in the scope. They are constant movers and he reappeared shortly. There were a couple other small things obscuring him but Talon said to shoot him when I had the shot. This was the 1st time they'd been able to make the call that quickly with me already lined up on an animal here. He moved clear of everything, I took a deep breath and let it out, at 90 yds, I held on his shoulder and fired.

Using a different rifle here. Still a 375H&H, but feather weight, built in Houston in 1997....everythingis fluted and the stock is super light synthetic... 2.5 x 8 scope. It weighs about half what Thulani's rig weighs. The solid hit right where it needed to and the animal was down.

Nice to be back on the board after almost a week drought.

You have to lye down to fit in the photo.

japantiger
S
We're staying at Thanda Game Reserve and I'm hunting about 30 minutes away. Teresa did the game.drive yesterday morning and this is what she saw. Sound on for this one

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
My golden retriever sounded just like that at 0500 this morning before yakking up some sticks and grass he ate.
AgLA06
AG
I'm amazed there's anything worth mounting left after hitting that with a .375H&H.
aggiesundevil4
AG
I had the same thought…maybe solid monolith / non expanding rounds?
japantiger
S
It's the same round I shot Rhino with. They don't deform even hitting something like that. Just punched a hole thru.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.