Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

235,280 Views | 1184 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by drred4
japantiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
We got into the blind about 5:00 pm. The blind was about 150 yds from the Nyamphande Spring. Based on tracks we had seen, it looked like he worked the ridgeline on the opposite side of the small valley from where the Spring comes out of the ground. We were set up on the Southern slope; about 30 yds up; the blind was on the Northern slope about 30 yds up. 60 yds to the bait from the blind. Elevation of blind and bait were about the same...so it was a straight on shot. The way the tree limb and bait were set up; the animal would be facing to the left and likely be quartered toward us. He'd hit the new warthog the night before...1st time on bait in over a week. He was hungry so he should come in.

As the light faded, we were sure we heard the leopard on the bait...Alastair said take the safety off and get in position and Pete hit the light...no leopard...and the light wasn't much good yet at this point. Pete and Alastair shook their heads in disbelief. But, within about 2 minutes, we heard our constant friends...elephants ... within 20 yds of the blind to our right toward the Spring. Apparently what we had heard were elephants moving toward the Spring N to S under the bait tree and up the hill we were on. At 20 yds, I was convinced I could smell the peanuts on their breath and they were coming in...Alastair was not too excited this time; but he did stand up and look intently. Pete and I just shook our heads in a "not again" fashion. This lasted about 5 minutes and they moved off toward the Spring. You could hear them (we think there were 2) sucking up water and spraying themselves...it was quite loud and again; it seemed a lot closer than 150 yds away. This settled down with the elephants sounds echoing up the valley.
japantiger
S
Within 30 minutes we heard the tree shake and then bones crunching. This was him for real. Back on the weapon...it was still hot so all I had to do was line up. It was just now dark and Pete hit the light. The leopard was bent over the bait trying to hold it up while he ate and it was easy to see balls. Now I was still getting my eyes adjusted and just making sure I was lined up right. Apparently, Alastair said shoot about 3 times before I look at him and asked "shoot?". He said (whishpered) "yes, yes, yes".

He raised up and exposed his whole body while he chewed. He was not full on standing or crouching; but his shoulder was easy to see and I focused on one spot behind his shoulder midway up his body and fired. This was about 5 seconds after I finally heard "shoot". Nothing but dust....all I could see was dust. I heard a thud on the ground and all hell break loose. Vegetation was crunching under the blind (I thought) and after about 10 seconds it sounded like the leopard moved off to the right. No way to tell the speed of the movement. Complicating figuring out what was going on is the shot stirred the elephants and a lot of what we were hearing was elephants running up and over the hill from the Spring.

Alastair said he saw the leopard summersault off the limb and then lost him in the dust. When the dust cleared, the various sounds had subsided and there was no leopard under the blind. There was much discussion on the shot, what I thought, were the noises elephants or leopard, which way did the leopard move, etc. I felt good about the shot. Alastair explained what was about the happen and asked me if I wanted to pursue a wounded leopard in the dark and then how that was going to go. We radioed the the truck. We left the blind and outfitted ourselves for the stalk.

Alastair and Pete got their shotguns...Automatics loaded with 3" #000 buckshot. Alastair attached his light; Pete got his...I put on my headlamp and took Alastair's 458 Lott with Trijicon red dot. We moved off toward the blind. A V formation, Alastair in the lead, Pete 2 steps behind to the left, Samson by him with a light tracking, me beside Samson and the Game Warden with his AK in the middle about 4 steps back. Tracking was confused under the blind. Samson was moving right and left trying to figure out which way the leopard moved. He initially moved left; but that didn't make sense relative to the noises we'd heard. There was a lot of disturbance on the ground; but it was where the elephants had come thru under the bait that had disturbed the ground. Alastair got frustrated and said go back to the blind and find blood.
japantiger
S
It was probably 20 minutes from the time of the shot at this point. Samson was still hung up on moving to the left. Alastair didn't buy that...at that point, about 15 feet to the right of the bait and almost even with the tree trunck, I saw a drop of blood. About 3 feet further around toward the right, another. So we got everyone on that line and finally moved away from the tree. We moved very slowly. I scanned the right flank; looking under everything; the same with everyone else. The Game Warden had come up and we right on Samson's shoulder now and helping find blood. We went about 25 yds before we saw anything other than single blood drops. That was probably 15 minutes of time. So we're 30+ minutes from the shot and haven't heard a single noise since the initial noise. Up ahead (30 yds or so) there was a big tangle of brush to the left and a downed tree on the right. Both pretty intimidating.

The blood was leading to the right so we moved toward the downed tree. As we got closer, it was just too obvious this would be an awesome place for a wounded animal to lie under and wait to spring. Alastair wanted no part of going straight at that potential leopard bunker. We started to move to the left to go around and there was a larger blood splatter on some of the rocks and then on the short grasses and bushes. Alastair and Pete moved around the tree root on the left and we were waiting to pivot around it when Alastair saw huge blood splatter further on past the tree and pointing further to the right and down toward the Spring. Samson and I stepped over the log and we all started moving down the draw toward the Spring. At this point, the blood trail was mostly continuous and the leopard must have been bumping into everything as every bush or brush bark had large smears of blood on them.

About 20 yds past the downed tree; Alastair said "there he is". I couldn't see from where I was; Alastair was 10 feet or so to the left and in front. Pete and I both asked at the same time "alive or dead ?". Alastair just moved forward, Samson stood up and stopped looking at blood; and in another few feet I saw him on his side; facing toward the Spring.. He was in the middle of an open area lying on his left side ... massive exit wound just behind the shoulder...no movement... we checked to ensure...he was gone.

At this point, one hour has passed since he was shot. No way to tell how long he had been on the ground. He was 75-100 yds from the bait. We'd never heard anything after the initial scramble...he'd certainly never hidden in wait, growled and turned on us which would be customary for an animal that was not fatally wounded. This had happened on Alastair's 1st hunt of the season. The animal charged them and he was looking away toward where he thought the animal might be and turned just in time for the shotgun to do it's work. This leopard had run toward where he came from (the Spring) when shot. These animals are tough; even an Impala will run 30 yds with half his insides hanging out the exit wound of that .375. The shot had gone just behind the shoulder on the first spot half way up his body. It had hit everything vital on the way thru.

Just before we had left the blind; I'd lead the three of us in a prayer asking to be kept safe as we left the blind and in the coming pursuit. We unloaded weapons.
AggieOC
AG
What an amazing adventure. Thank you for sharing. Definitely the hunt of a lifetime for most.
Hwy30East
Wow! Congratulations, and thank you for sharing this adventure with all of us!
RED AG 98
AG
Wow! And congratulations! The pictures are incredible of course but you have gift in storytelling as well. Thank you so much for sharing with us all. Best thread ever.
ranchag04
AG
Congrats….what a magnificent animal and perfectly illustrated story. Ready for the next hunt…what will that be?
OnlyForNow
AG
The problem is he has two extinct animals mounted, can you trust that he shot any of those?
Apache
AG
Quote:

Just before we had left the blind; I'd lead the three of us in a prayer asking to be kept safe as we left the blind and in the coming pursuit. We unloaded weapons.
Hemingway-esque! Very nice!
B-1 83
AG

Wrong quote
DDSO
B-1 83
AG
lurker76 said:

B-1 83 said:

japantiger said:

And just like that they put me in that chair again and spun me around ....

Reminds me of when I was made "King of the Pigmies".
I certainly don't want to get Japantiger's thread derailed. I'd love to hear this story on another thread.
It's an inside joke. I tell my friends when I go over that it's time for re-coronation - I'm 5'6" tall. Sorry for the thread derail.
Big Bucks
AG
As I have tracked deer and hogs into the woods after shooting and it getting/became dark, I can't imagine your heart beat and how the mind plays tricks on you going after a freaking leopard in Africa!!
B-1 83
AG
Big Bucks said:

As I have tracked deer and hogs into the woods after shooting and it getting/became dark, I can't imagine your heart beat and how the mind plays tricks on you going after a freaking leopard in Africa!!
My trackers and PH wouldn't go into the brush after a wounded bushbuck (well know to hide and disembowel trackers). I can't imagine a leopard.
agrams
AG
japantiger said:

Alastair explained what was about the happen and asked me if I wanted to pursue a wounded leopard in the dark and then how that was going to go.
CowtownAg06
AG
I knew this was a happy ending and still felt by heart rate go up reading.
ArmaLite
Congratulations. This is the best thread/adventure ever posted on TexAgs.
I find myself coming back multiple times a day to follow along.

The trip/hunt of a lifetime.
japantiger
S
Big Bucks said:

The Spinal Tap guys would say it was Pucker Factor 11
DallasAg 94
japantiger
S
Puku
DaveAg02
AG
japantiger said:

Puku

Go get that hyena and make it a perfect trip! Rooting for you
japantiger
S
B-1 83 said:

lurker76 said:

B-1 83 said:

japantiger said:

And just like that they put me in that chair again and spun me around ....

Reminds me of when I was made "King of the Pigmies".
I certainly don't want to get Japantiger's thread derailed. I'd love to hear this story on another thread.
It's an inside joke. I tell my friends when I go over that it's time for re-coronation - I'm 5'6" tall. Sorry for the thread derail.

I wanted to hear the story . I thought you were going to describe a camaroon adventure where the trackers made you their king
japantiger
S
Leaving four am for hyena blind
clinte234
AG
It's not over!!!!
shalackin
AG
May it never end!!! Maybe we can gofundme for more days and more of our entertainment.
Daddy-O5
AG
shalackin said:

May it never end!!! Maybe we can gofundme for more days and more of our entertainment.
Somehow, I doubt it's monetary funds that would prevent him from extending his trip for our enjoyment.
AgLA06
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

shalackin said:

Somehow, I doubt it's monetary funds that would prevent him from extending his trip for our enjoyment.

Leaving his wife at home for 2 months might.
ccard257
AG
AgLA06 said:

Daddy-O5 said:

shalackin said:

If they've been married long enough, she'll probably contribute to the fund
agrams
AG
or she may have out-spent him while he was gone... he is just going home to minimize the damage.
AgLA06
AG
agrams said:

or she may have out-spent him while he was gone... he is just going home to minimize the damage.
Exactly.
Daddy-O5
AG
ccard257 said:

AgLA06 said:

Daddy-O5 said:

shalackin said:

If they've been married long enough, she'll probably contribute to the fund
Yea but it's been two months, trash ain't gonna take itself out. He's probably more than welcome to fly right back.
agcrock2005
AG
agrams said:

She's probably chilling out at their summer home in Aspen.
japantiger
LSB_2002
AG
Amazing thread! Good to catch back up on it after a week or two. Go get that hyena, asap!
Badace52
AG
Sounds like that leopard was dead as soon as it was hit. I've seen deer run well over 100 yards with a heart that was in shreds when we cleaned them later. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.