Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

235,279 Views | 1184 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by drred4
muleshoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prayers sent.
japantiger
S
Map of the Conservancy...the distance across the Kaudhum trail at the bottom is ~23 miles. The small X in the bottom right is where I got the elephant. We saw his tracks coming off the Shamakugi waterhole and then when he crossed the main N-S trail down toward the border.
japantiger
S
Last hunting day in Namibia. We've seen 2 big Kudu bulls coming from waterholes before noon. So we're just going to get there about 9:00 and set that hole until 12:00. The Kudu appear to be coming in and drinking during that time and not really moving in the afternoon.

After that, packing up and out of here around 5:00 am on Wed. Drive back to Rundu, charter to Windhoek, and then back to Johannesburg for a short evening. Leaving early Thursday for Lusaka and then hunting camp.
japantiger
S
Very old bull with deep curls
giddings_ag_06
AG
Wow
SquirrellyDan
AG
japantiger said:

That's amazing.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Wow I bet he's about 55" on the curl, maybe even more! What a beauty, well done!
rally-cap
AG
That is stunning! The jealousy is starting to overflow.
AgEng06
AG
That's a helluva kudu.
MAROON
AG
fantastic Kudu.

Where in Joberg - Airport Intercontinental? We spent two nights there coming and going. Great place to knock of the dust and, grab a cocktail and a good dinner.
japantiger
S
Yes, Intercontinental. Very convenient if you have to spend the nite.
japantiger
S
aggiesundevil4 said:

Wow I bet he's about 55" on the curl, maybe even more! What a beauty, well done!

We sat on a waterhole for 3 hours and saw about 50 cows and calves come in over the time. We were about 5 minutes from calling the truck and finally 3 bulls came in. This big old guy was between two younger bulls... both nice , but not as battered and deep as this guy.
powerbelly
AG
Still praying.
ought1ag
AG
just checking in for my daily blue star dump!!
FSGuide
This thread has inspired me to re-book my group Safari that was supposed to be my 50th Bday celebration in 2020 but we all know what happened that year.

Talked to my outfitter this morning. South Africa here we come, June 2023, 8 people for 7 full days of hunting & 1 day of offshore fishing plus a couple days on each end for tourist stuff in J-burg or Capetown. It won't be 50 days long but I'll enjoy every minute of it.
-------------------------------------------------------
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
japantiger
S
Great plan...if you can workout Capetown, it's a nicer city to visit....adding the fishing is an outstanding idea!!!!
DaveAg02
AG
Naveronski said:

Jabin said:

Here's the trophy room of John Estes, Highland Park, who has passed. He was a well-known lawyer and mediator in Dallas and had a warthog mount in his office.

But has he hunted The Most Dangerous Game?

Duh. It's basically in the middle of the pic, wearing a red shirt. Incredible taxidermy.
lurker76
I'll second Japantiger in regards to Cape Town. If you get the opportunity to go, it will be worth if for you. Flying in and seeing Table Mountain from the air is amazing; taking the cable car up just adds to the wonder. It is a great place for seafood, but for some reason, nearly every steak we ate had some kind of sauce on it. There was a restaurant we went to called Carne which was fantastic. They brought out a tray of meats for you to pick your entree from. It is first come, first served, so you need to get there early if that's what you want to do. One of the best steaks (ribeye) I ever ate. It looks like there are two locations now, so I don't know which one we went to. One of the locals in the refinery took us there.

So much to see and do. Two Oceans aquarium, Table Mountain, Victoria and Albert mall at the waterfront, the Two Oceans restaurant at the Cape of Good Hope, the lighthouse near the cape. We hired a driver (Mervyn) from the Happy Landings Executive Chauffering and Limousine Service to take a day tour down the Atlantic coast to the cape, had lunch at Two Oceans, then came home through the wine district and ate dinner at one of the wineries that evening. It was a long day, but well worth it.
chase128
AG
japantiger said:

Did you get a measurement on the horns? Curious how long they are
ChemAg15
AG
FSGuide said:

This thread has inspired me to re-book my group Safari that was supposed to be my 50th Bday celebration in 2020 but we all know what happened that year.

Talked to my outfitter this morning. South Africa here we come, June 2023, 8 people for 7 full days of hunting & 1 day of offshore fishing plus a couple days on each end for tourist stuff in J-burg or Capetown. It won't be 50 days long but I'll enjoy every minute of it.

Good call on the fishing. The only way to top this thread will be to catch a 20 ft great white.
japantiger
S
No measurement yet. It's gonna make a damn fine mount.

Transiting thru JoBerg currently.
AgEng06
AG
Are you wearing a Panerai Luminor?
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
I'm cross-eyed after reading all 11 pages of this thread on my phone. What a surreal trip. Thank you for sharing it with us. Continued prayers for your mom.
98Ag99Grad
AG
That might be my favorite animal yet, even more than the elephant.
japantiger
S
Luminor GMT....my main outdoors watch.
AgEng06
AG
Love it! Not something I expected to see in this great thread, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

As a side note, I'd love to see the rest of your collection when you get home from this epic trip.
Sea Speed
AG
Is anyone else laughing at the thought of 20 African dudes trying to pose a rhino like us plebes in the US pose a white tail?
Silian Rail
Man what a great thread
japantiger
S
In celebration of the elephant, we had champagne followed by a 6 course meal of:

Cherizo roll
Escargot
Mushroom soup
Curry shrimp and chicken
Kudu steak with green peas puree and garlic mushrooms
Cream caramel

A couple of bottles of a great SA blend... the camp chef is Argentinian and a great cook. The food at the elephant camp is by far the best hunting camp food I've ever had. The chef got stranded in Namibia 3 years ago when the business he went over for went bust. The outfitter put him to work temporarily as a favor and it just stuck (well, he met a Namibian girl and got married and that stuck).
Claude!
Hope you have tall ceilings in your trophy room(s).
jmm
I have been to Africa many times and have culled in the national parks of Namibia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Zambia. Your trophies are of the highest quality. I have never seen better. Congratulations on an outstanding safari.
aggiesundevil4
AG
When will this thread get the permanent sticky like the snake threads each year?
ccard257
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

When will this thread get the permanent sticky like the snake threads each year?
When he catches one of these by hand, poses it for photos, and then turns it loose.
japantiger
S
Trophy room...a mountain lion will go under the moose and brown and black bears will flank the fireplace. The brown bear should go up in October...hoping the mountain lion is done before Christmas. The opposite end of the room is set for the outcome of this trip.

CowtownAg06
AG
Where's your place if you don't t mind sharing?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.