Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

235,255 Views | 1184 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by drred4
blackgoldag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agrams said:

the part where he flew 800 miles west to the northern cape after the croc hunt?

nope.. sure didn't miss that.

Bbbbuuurrrnnn
RC_57
AG
Dang it

Black gold beat me on the draw
cupofjoe04
AG
DaveAg02
AG
agrams said:

Ah, so you only missed the part on page 13 where he flew back after the elephant hunt and is now within ~ 75 miles of where he shot the croc. Ok.
blackgoldag11
AG
DaveAg02 said:

agrams said:

Ah, so you only missed the part on page 13 where he flew back after the elephant hunt and is now within ~ 75 miles of where he shot the croc. Ok.

Ooooohhhh!!!! Got em' , agrams , you are up
japantiger
S
Limpopo for croc hunt, Northern Cape for plains game, Namibia for elephant and Zambia now on the Luangua river
japantiger
S
3:00 am...headed back to blind
Colt98
AG
Good luck!
agrams
AG
you only asked if I missed page 1.
agcrock2005
AG
japantiger said:

3:00 am...headed back to blind
I have no desire to do any of this **** you're doing, but this thread is awesome!
West Texan
AG
jmac24
I just spent $150 on books I need to read!!!
japantiger
S
Colt98 said:

Good luck!

No luck. The grind continues into day 7
Hwy30East
How's your PH doing from his illness?
japantiger
S
It took a little over an hour to clean the hippo by the side of the river. 6 pieces for baits...2 neck pieces for leopard and 4 qtrs for lion. The edible parts were also taken.

The cook was excited to see what we brought back. He's going to prepare a special hippo dinner feature...hippo mountain oysters, hippo tail soup and hippo back strap. The assistant PH and I were trying to come up with clever names for the meal and he came up with "sack, crack and back"....
JCA1
AG
For the first time ever, I stared at my phone, contemplating whether to google "how big is a hippo testicle?" Decided against.
japantiger
S
I am now on my 24th (combined hunting trips) days of leopard hunting. I've helped hang 34 bait sites, some with multiple refreshes, set on baits 12 different times; close to 50 hours. I've shot 13 animals total for baits (3 hippos in that number). I've had 0 shots on a leopard and have seen 0 mature males on bait. I've seen 5 females and 3 immature mails on bait.
powerbelly
AG
japantiger said:

I am now on my 24th (combined hunting trips) days of leopard hunting. I've helped hang 34 bait sites, some with multiple refreshes, set on baits 12 different times; close to 50 hours. I've shot 13 animals total for baits (3 hippos in that number). I've had 0 shots on a leopard and have seen 0 mature males on bait. I've seen 5 females and 3 immature mails on bait.

Sounds like the usual going live threads around here.
cupofjoe04
AG
japantiger said:

Is Giddings with you? Have him shoot some 'Dillos.
DaveAg02
AG
japantiger said:

Sounds like you're putting the hours in. Good luck tonight!
98Ag99Grad
AG
japantiger said:

If you can't get a leopard will you move on to something else like a lion then come back to the leopard?
Thunder18
AG
japantiger said:

It took a little over an hour to clean the hippo by the side of the river. 6 pieces for baits...2 neck pieces for leopard and 4 qtrs for lion. The edible parts were also taken.

The cook was excited to see what we brought back. He's going to prepare a special hippo dinner feature...hippo mountain oysters, hippo tail soup and hippo back strap. The assistant PH and I were trying to come up with clever names for the meal and he came up with "sack, crack and back"....

So how did it taste?
RO519
AG
Thunder18 said:

japantiger said:

So how did it taste?
Like chicken.
Hungry Ojos
You know, just for once, I'd like someone to be completely honest when reviewing some weird game animal they ate and just admit "it tastes like ****".
giddings_ag_06
AG
My bags are still packed, but with each passing day I take out another set of clothes and 6 pack of beer from my luggage. No calls from Africa received either.
japantiger
S
98Ag99Grad said:

japantiger said:

If you can't get a leopard will you move on to something else like a lion then come back to the leopard?
Am hunting lion and leopard simultaneously. We've put up 12 bait sites...we declared 2 dead today on our rounds and took up the game cams. So we have 10 sites up. 4 leopard and 6 lion.

The site one leopard has not returned since the 5 lions hit lion bait there (females and a hairless ancient male). He was on bait one day per game cam. He has not been seen on camera in 5 days. Lions came back to bait last nite, again; so I don't feel to good about that site being a live leopard site anymore. PH is confident...I'm skeptical.

The PH moved the bait on the other site that we have been setting on for leopard; we moved it closer to the nearby waterhole this morning after we sat the site. Hoping to get the cat on bait earlier each night as it will be closer to his front door. We will not be setting that bait until we see him find the new location.

So right now; day 7 ends with a big thud. No mature anything on game cam to sit a bait tonight. So it feels like I'm taking half the day off. The grind continues...having coffee typing this while listening to elephants trumpet across the river.
japantiger
S
Thunder18 said:

japantiger said:

So how did it taste?
Which one...the sack the crack or the back?
SPF250
AG
Thunder18 said:

japantiger said:

So how did it taste?
I'm guessing it was wack.
Thunder18
AG
japantiger said:

Thunder18 said:

japantiger said:

So how did it taste?
Which one...the sack the crack or the back?

All of the above, what was the preferred snack?
japantiger
S
I passed on the Hippo Balls...the soup was good and the backstrap was tough, but edible.
RED AG 98
AG
Seems like a good decision. Wanting to avoid googling this one - are we talking golf ball, baseball, softball, or cantaloupe?
japantiger
S
japantiger
S
jmac24 said:

I just spent $150 on books I need to read!!!
On Leopards:
"I held the aiming post of my telescopic sight on that leopard's face for a million years. While I was holding it, the Pharaohs built the pyramids. Rome fell. The pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock. The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. And then the leopard moved. Only you could not see him move. Where there had been a leopard, there was only a fork. There was not even a flash or a blur when he moved. He disappeared."
- The Lost Classics of Robert Ruark

One of my favorite Ruark quotes..
aggiesundevil4
AG
I didn't think impala was very tasty, it looked good but was tough and more gamey than most other species. Plains zebra also not very good. Mountain zebra actually good though. Eland, springbok, kudu, oryx are all phenomenal. Croc was pretty good.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
powerbelly said:

japantiger said:

Sounds like the usual going live threads around here.
Why? because he's been 'baitin?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.