Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

282,040 Views | 1421 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Cromagnum
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beautiful coloring.
japantiger
S

japantiger
S
Dinner the last few nights has been Kudu steaks, Springbok loin, oxtail and Gemsbok
japantiger
S
The weather today was absolutely civilized. Hi 30s when we went out but no wind and beautiful clear sky's.

Very little time on the ground today....a lot more driving. We saw this guy from a few hundred yds out and as we got close he bolted. We got on the ground and couldn't find him after about 300 yds. We got back on the truck and decided to backtrack to our S and then turn N. We hadn't gone very far when we almost missed him. If we'd just kept walking about 25 more yds when we were on the ground we'd have been right on top of him..now.we were ~250 yds from him. We closed the gap to 200.

He's very old...lots of battle scars
japantiger
S
Golden Wildebeest

aggiesundevil4
AG
I saw a black impala in Namibia at about 25 yards a few years ago and it was stunningly beautiful- yours looks like a monster! Very thick horns for an impala
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome! I'm assuming the Barbary Sheep/aoudad are introduced down there?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
There around 80k of them in TX alone… I suspect that might be a low number too
japantiger
S
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Awesome! I'm assuming the Barbary Sheep/aoudad are introduced down there?

Yes, I dont know how long ago. Northern Cape is the perfect climate for them, just like in TX
japantiger
S
Weather was great in the afternoon....dropped a layer and no beanies.

We came on a mixed group of Wildebeest with one nice male King Wildebeest. We were at 200 yds and they were looking at us and just milled about....the King covered up all the time. We sat there for nearly 30 minutes before an opening came. He was.facing left only slight quartered.....
japantiger
S

japantiger
S

japantiger
S

japantiger
S
Random sights

japantiger
S

japantiger
S
I dont think i have ever carried a heavier rifle rig...when grounded, it comes up just under my shoulder
japantiger
S
Had a nice surprise this morning. Great weather, no wind (that chamged as the day went on, however), but we were driving along the range of hills toward the South of camp and Talon spotted a Mountain Reedbuck. I had given up as they are not common up here.

2 females and a male. They were about 2/3 of the way up the hill when we first saw them....ended up about 90% of the way to the top. 185 yds...he was quartering to our left facing us...it hit just a little back of where I wanted it placed but the bullet took out everything important in the way thru...a portion of his insdies were outside.

japantiger
S

aggiesundevil4
AG
What an incredible view and picture!
Nagler
AG
japantiger said:

Had a nice surprise this morning. Great weather, no wind (that chamged as the day went on, however), but we were driving along the range of hills toward the South of camp and Talon spotted a Mountain Reedbuck. I had given up as they are not common up here.

2 females and a male. They were about 2/3 of the way up the hill when we first saw them....ended up about 90% of the way to the top. 185 yds...he was quartering to our left facing us...it hit just a little back of where I wanted it placed but the bullet took out everything important in the way thru...a portion of his insdies were outside.

japantiger
S

japantiger
S
Final hunt...White Flanked Impala. The horns are a beautiful translucent gold similar to the King Wildebeest...200 yds broadeside, slightly quartered toward us. Right in the center of the shoulder. He ran about 30 yds. Bullet cut across him and bulged the skin halfway back his body.
japantiger
S

clinte234
AG
japantiger said:

Final hunt...

Nooooooo!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
clinte234 said:

japantiger said:

Final hunt...

Nooooooo!

Any more and he would have to build a new trophy room. Not that that would be a bad thing.
Big Bucks
AG
That is a beautiful animal and a great way to end the hunt!
japantiger
S
A little chilly today
japantiger
S
The sky here....4S exposure and 8S exposure

japantiger
S
Got at least one more Africa hunt to plan...
RO519
AG
japantiger said:

Got at least one more Africa hunt to plan...
Right as the door closes on the latest chapter of the epic Africa thread, japantiger hits us with this teaser!
japantiger
S
Rifle talk:

I will preface everything below with I am spoiled on guns...so everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. But I do have a couple of recommendations. Comments, insults and snyde remarks welcome

I Used 5 different guns in this trip.
All very capable guns.
My favorite was Vlams from KZN. Super lightweight and the eye relief and cheek comb all just fit.
Even after taping a pad to Thulani's rifle comb I could not produce consistent results on paper...I shot 3 animals with it. One of the 3 was a quality shot...they worked, but...

The monster weapon, Rem 700, here fit and shot well, bit I could not have used it in KZN. I physically would not have been able to carry it on the ground for that many miles/hours as we were in the ground....and it was too long to carry in bush that thick...not that there's anything wrong with thick bush .

Scope was the majority of my gripe. All three scopes were 2.5 x 8, 3 x 9 and 2.5 x 10.
Small appature scopes....not a lot of light comes in in the bush or early/late scenarios.
Magnification too low for my old eyes...also, I like my illuminated reticle/crosshairs...helps with the aim small miss small thing.

Now I say too low. I obviously managed, but time to get reticle movement under control, find animals, require animals after a shot and just where to put the crosshairs all took longer. And I had a hell of a time re-aquiring a shot animal.
I did a bad job of due diligence on what I would be using. Rifle caliber I didn't care...anything in the 270 to 3xx range would have sufficed
I should have specifically asked for a class of scope closer to what I normally use.

Both shotguns were perfectly adequate. The Ruger o/u was a great gun.

Rifle musings of a spoiled old man end....

aggiesundevil4
AG
I love that you threw in another bush joke
MAROON
AG
always the question - do I take my own guns and deal with all the hassle or use the PH's guns?

Last time I did a hybrid - used the PH's gun for 8 days. Model 70 Winchester, 300 Win Mag, with an ok scope - but missing a piece of equipment I really like when hiking all day - a sling! I especially like one when doing a lot of climbing up and down hills.

Thee last day i was still after my Kudu and borrowed another hunter's Gunwerks 28 Nosler with a telescope for the scope - which could have been used to look at the stars at night. Great gun

This year I will again use the PH gun....but I'm bringing a sling just in case.
japantiger
S
MAROON said:

always the question - do I take my own guns and deal with all the hassle or use the PH's guns?

Last time I did a hybrid - used the PH's gun for 8 days. Model 70 Winchester, 300 Win Mag, with an ok scope - but missing a piece of equipment I really like when hiking all day - a sling! I especially like one when doing a lot of climbing up and down hills.

Thee last day i was still after my Kudu and borrowed another hunter's Gunwerks 28 Nosler with a telescope for the scope - which could have been used to look at the stars at night. Great gun

This year I will again use the PH gun....but I'm bringing a sling just in case.

Yep, a seemingly little thing...a sling. No sling in EC or NC. The light rifle in KZN had a sling. I kicked myself the whole time for not bringing mine. It would have been very handy here.
japantiger
S
Looking toward our room, last night in Africa this trip

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.