Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

235,278 Views | 1184 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by drred4
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree. For me it always seems to be whitetail does that run regardless of shot location (double lung, heart, etc). I have much better luck dropping bucks.
MAROON
AG
Quote:

Alastair explained what was about the happen and asked me if I wanted to pursue a wounded leopard in the dark
this right here is a gutsy decision, but if you're a hunter it's the decision you have to accept.

My Zim PH called leopards "African chainsaws". He said the difference between a lion follow-up and a leopard follow-up were vastly different. Lions will announce they are coming and will usually only go after one in the party (leaving the others to hopefully make the kill shot). Leopards will not typically announce they are coming until its too late, and will typically tear everyone in the party to shreds in a matter of seconds.

This video is pretty famous. the guy who gets attacked is named Chap and was one of our PH's this past hunt in Zim. Literally the funniest dude I've ever been around.

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Thunder18
AG
That video is ****ing nuts
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Are those bite marks upper and lower canines from an open jaw to his chest!?
Aggie369
AG
Damn
Looks like gun shots
Bregxit
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

I think those are claw marks from the cat kicking him in the chest. Cat bit the guy's hand and wrist.

I got a very small version of one when I tried to give my cat a bath when I was a kid. Insta-pierced my belly button.
agcrock2005
AG
Bregxit said:

I think those are claw marks from the cat kicking him in the chest. Cat bit the guy's hand and wrist.

I got a very small version of one when I tried to give my cat a bath when I was a kid. Insta-pierced my belly button.
Ag_Eng98
AG
Japantiger needs some brass ball icons to add next to his name. If his tracker that went after the hyena with a knife texags, he gets them too.

Thank you for sharing. Also reinforces how much I look up to the military and marines.
japantiger
S
japantiger said:

Leaving four am for hyena blind
Got into the blind about 4:30...within a minute of the truck pulling away I heard something walking and a low growl to my right. Whatever it was just passed by. The whooping started shortly afterward. Two distinct animals and we did see 2 come up to the bait. The hyena bait is everything we took down off all the baits and brought back. Was pretty happy to be off that truck yesterday. The two milled about a while and then moved off. So no luck this morning. The morning glow and animals waking up starts happening around 5:10...by 5:40 we called it. Blind sitting is not so bad when it's barely over an hour.

Will give it another go tomorrow morning. Apparently hyena blinds are a bit of a group dynamic. One or two may not really dig in...it's when you get 5 or so that no one wants to be left out and they kind of go into a frenzy.

My charter is picking me up around 3:30 tomorrow. Be back in Lusaka by 4:30 and Qatar flight to Doha/Dallas leaves about 9:25pm. Looks like it's gonna be 45 days end to end...shaved off 3 days here, 1 on croc hunt and 3 on Plains game portion... Good time to be leaving. Gonna be right at 100 today. Yesterday was about 97.

japantiger
S
It would be a very good teaching video.
lurker76
Good luck with the hyena and safe travels.
japantiger
S
Badace52 said:

Sounds like that leopard was dead as soon as it was hit. I've seen deer run well over 100 yards with a heart that was in shreds when we cleaned them later. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Pure death run . After seeing the wounds he couldn't have lasted 45 seconds. Heart and lungs
B-1 83
AG
Hyenas freak.me.out. One unit I hunted on had a breeding facility where you could get pretty close. They are one wicked animal.
japantiger
S
Good day to answer questions if you have any...just avoiding the heat this afternoon. Nice breeze off the river.
rally-cap
AG
japantiger said:

Good day to answer questions if you have any...just avoiding the heat this afternoon. Nice breeze off the river.
Where would you go hunting next, and for what, if money was no issue? Or is this trip the pinnacle?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
When sitting in the lion/leopard blind all night, can you take a piss? Or is scent paramount?
japantiger
S
rally-cap said:

japantiger said:

Where would you go hunting next, and for what, if money was no issue? Or is this trip the pinnacle?
I want to hunt across Europe...there are about 14 good species to take; it would take about a month to do it. But you have to make so many moves; you're never really in any one place for than 3 days. So not sure I'll do that. The wife would love it; but she doesn't like switching hotel every other day either. Some cool places to stay though. Definitely not roughing it hunting.

Something like this:
Scotland - Red Stag and maybe Roe
Eastern Europe - Croatia or Romania - European Brown Bear (of course Russia is an option; but I got my company out of that business ...they are just too sleazy)
Austria - Roe, ibex, chamois and stag...gotta go a couple of different places to do this
Budapest and surrounding area - Sika, Mouflon, fallow and boar - a couple of places
Madrid and surrounding area - Gredos Ibex, Beceite Ibex and Red Legged Partridge hunt (I love to bird hunt)
Grenada - Southeastern and Ronda Ibex
England - Chinese Water Deer, Muntjac, English Red Stag as well some exotics like Pere David Stag, Barashinga Stag, Sika Stag, Soay Sheep

So lots to hunt and some cool places...but I think it would be ~11 moves...3 or 4 plane rides and the others cars if I remember correctly. The real appeal in addition to just having a European wall in the trophy room is the wife would love the locations. It's great when I can get her to come with me.

Hunting in Turkey and the near East also looks interesting. I just haven't dug into options on that. I'm wide open to input on anyone that has done that.

One of the next things I'll likely do is a horseback backcountry Elk hunt. I'm half assed on a horse; but it just seems like it would be fun and can mix in some fishing with it.

Bert315
AG
japantiger said:

From the outside this looks like a trip that cannot be topped. Anything you didn't get done on this trip that you want to go back for? Do you have another hunting or fishing trip planned?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Have you hunted New Zealand?

The European chalet mountain hunt sounds amazing

Is there anywhere you can hunt tiger?

Did you shoot any baboons on this hunt?
Hungry Ojos
japantiger said:

Do you have any daughters that need a good husband?
AgEng06
AG
Asking the real questions.
Sea Speed
AG
If you like bird hunting, have you taken all of the amazing birds found in South America? The teal alone down there are amazing.
MAROON
AG
Enjoy those Q suites on Qatar Airlines! Best seat in the sky
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
japantiger
S
Milwaukees Best Light said:

When sitting in the lion/leopard blind all night, can you take a piss? Or is scent paramount?
Well, the biggest issue is getting a bottle with a big enough mouth to fit it in...

I can handle anything up to about 6 hours...we were in that blind 16 hours that one night. At my age, the piss is coming out...either on me or in a bottle. I chose bottle. I carried in an empty half gallon laundry detergent bottle....scent was not an issue. We were 60 yds away and it seals. The female cat came in 4 times that night...so I wouldn't just piss on the ground in the blind; but the bottle doesn't seem to be an issue.
japantiger
S
Bert315 said:

japantiger said:

From the outside this looks like a trip that cannot be topped. Anything you didn't get done on this trip that you want to go back for? Do you have another hunting or fishing trip planned?
Quail hunting is South Georgia in January. Beyond that my next trip is taking the wife somewhere she wants to go. She's a big fan of Scotland from our time over there, so maybe that could incorporate a hunt and if early in the year bird hunting for sure.
japantiger
S
Hungry Ojos said:

japantiger said:

Yes, 28, smart, funny and beautiful....an Aggie. A little too invested in her work right now it seems. What are your prospects?
flomoAG
AG
Its been asked, then you mentioned getting your company out of the business with Russia...so, what do you do? I need to change career paths.

And good luck on the hyena!
Basically, A&M's stadium is like the anti-Longhorn Network, a place everyone wants to be, but not everyone fits.
CowtownAg06
AG
Good luck on the Hyena. I was in Africa (not to hunt) a while ago and woke to a Hyena mauling something right outside my hut. It was brutal and my first instinct was to hop up and go help whatever was getting got. Then I realized how dumb that was, thought about circle of life, and got back in bed.

What's the best thing you've had to eat over there?
japantiger
S

Have you hunted New Zealand?

The European chalet mountain hunt sounds amazing

Is there anywhere you can hunt tiger?

Did you shoot any baboons on this hunt?
Yes - it is a great place to go hunt. South Island near Kaikura (spelling my not be right) and out in the Southern Alps. Lot of fun stuff to do in that country as well.
Yes...I got to find a travel solution that works.
I don't think so...India protects them
No...just not something that hits my radar. Having had cape buffalo and eland stalks spoiled by the *******s on previous hunts, I can understand why someone does shoot them, though.

japantiger
S
Sea Speed said:

If you like bird hunting, have you taken all of the amazing birds found in South America? The teal alone down there are amazing.
Not all of them for sure. I've been to Argentina bird hunting 4 times. I love the duck and perdiz hunting down there. It's basically no limit duck hunting. It's also one of the best global hunting values out there. If you get some extra time, go to Mendoza as well. It's is the best wine country experience on the planet. Those folks know how to do it.

I would like to hunt other things down there (mountain lion, etc).
agcrock2005
AG
japantiger said:

Hungry Ojos said:

japantiger said:

Yes, 28, smart, funny and beautiful....an Aggie. A little too invested in her work right now it seems. What are your prospects?
In before first "rule #1"...
japantiger
S
flomoAG said:

Its been asked, then you mentioned getting your company out of the business with Russia...so, what do you do? I need to change career paths.

And good luck on the hyena!
I was in tech...I retired 3 years ago.
chocolatelabs
AG
Can we have an OB meet up at your trophy room? wherever that is?

what is the name of the outfitter.

great stories and great adventure. idk if i could stay in a blind for 16 hrs.

japantiger
S
CowtownAg06 said:

Good luck on the Hyena. I was in Africa (not to hunt) a while ago and woke to a Hyena mauling something right outside my hut. It was brutal and my first instinct was to hop up and go help whatever was getting got. Then I realized how dumb that was, thought about circle of life, and got back in bed.

What's the best thing you've had to eat over there?
Ouch...yeah, if no gun, not sure what you'd do other than get bit too.

Kudu steaks...hands down. I think I mentioned the lion celebration meal earlier. I've had kudu steaks 3 times on the trip. 20/20 hindsight and I would have shot a kudu earlier in the Elephant hunt. Not at the end :-)

But the Eland is also outstanding. The diet in the hunting camps is all around eating what you shoot. So it's meat and potatoes focused. Lots of Impala; it's just kind of a staple and have had it cooked just about every way possible (steaks, burgers, stir fry, in pasta sauce, etc.).
japantiger

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.