Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

282,043 Views | 1421 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Cromagnum
japantiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
This happened before 7:00...we moved on to the next area to continue to look for Suni. We spent an hour on the ground, then 1.5 in a blind without seeing anything. About 10:00 we got into another area we had walked the 1st evening. We were about 300 yds.from.the end of the stalk when Muhlawase stopped and started scanning the whole area we were in. It didn't look very different to anything we'd seen the last 3 days.

After a couple of minutes he moved to.the.left about 20 feet and started clearing space on the ground in front of a rotted stump. He motioned for Talon and I to come over. He instructed me to set with my back to the stump. We settled in...using a Ruger 12ga with #3 shot.

We hadn't been there 1 minute and he got very excited and pointed to my left and held up his hand to wait. Where he was pointing was to my left and behind us...about 7 o'clock relative to where I was facing.
japantiger
HouseDivided06
AG
Go on…
japantiger
S
In about 10 seconds he got very excited and pointed at about 9:00 o'clock and said "shoot". The first sighting had been a female. He.was 100% certain this was a male.

I lifted the shotgun and he took the barrel and lifted it over and around in front of him so he was behind the muzzle. I leveled on the target in brush about 30 yds away. I didn't know if it would punch thru all the foliage but after lining it up at the animals midsection I fired.

He lit up like a Christmas tree and shook me be the shoulders with a grin a mile wide. He sprang up and ran to the downed Suni. I safed the shotgun and followed. Nice male down...it was just before noon...very productive morning.

japantiger
S
We took a long lunch break, carried the two animals to the skinning shed and got back to the hunting area about 3:00 pm. We drove to an area where we had seen Reedbuck the 1st afternoon. We got out of the truck and walked up to this open area. No Reedbuck, but there was a Grey Duiker at about 300yds angling right to left towards the treeline. We moved in rushes when his head was down and closed the gap to about 150yds but he disappeared into the tree line.

At that point we moved slower trying find him to our left in the trees. We didn't go very far before he came out and was more or less backtracking his previous path only at about 240yds. We started rushing again to close the gap.
japantiger
S
He moved intermittently, but always angled away. I got in the sticks. He was heavily quartered to the right, he was a good sized Duiker, so I focused well back between his.ribs.and hip.so the.round.would come out his opposite shoulder and fired...he was somewhere over ~160yds.

To the discussion on solids vs softs...we had gone after Reedbuck, a bigger animal, roughly like an avg to small TX Whitetail and loaded softs. I'll let the photo speak for itself on why to use solids on small animals. That is the entry wound.
japantiger
S

Big Bucks
AG
Another morning enjoying coffee and catching up on this adventure! You and the guides have to be exhausted by now.
japantiger
S
We wrapped this up about 4:00pm. At that point there was one other nearby area we might find Reedbuck, and it would be on the way out anyway, so we headed out with the idea that we'd likely just wrap the day early. About 10 minutes later we were crusing a tree line looking for Reedbuck.

We'd only driven a short way when Thulani saw two about 150 yds into the forest. Both looked like females, but within a very short time we saw a male a little deeper. We kept moving up and back but couldn't get a clear site line. The animal moved deeper into the woods. So we drove forward to look for a place to cut up where the animal was headed.

About 200 yds up we saw him...we backed up to get a clear line of sight. I rested my elbow on the seat frame. He was about 140 yds in from us. He lifted his head, and looked our way. He was facing straight at us. I took a couple of extra breaths to steady myself and fired. He bucked and turned about 150 degrees and ran deeper into the woods away from us.
japantiger
S
We hopped off the truck and moved quickly to find where he'd been. We got close and didn't see blood or him. We weren't looking far enough in...Mtetsi saw him lying about 20 yds away at the end of a big blood trail. He'd been hit square in the bread-basket and didn't go far. We carried him to the truck to get photos nearby.
japantiger
S
After getting blanked for the better part of a week, we'd gotten the 4 we came for here in one day. I've spent the last two days doing things here at Thanda...more on that later. But rather than just stay here, we've called an audible and will be going to the Northern Cape in the morning to go after other species until the 8th, then head home. Other than EC Kudu, we were able to get the others faster than expected.

We'll be in the same general area I hunted in SA in 2022.
FSGuide
That Reedbuck looks much smaller that the Mountain Reedbuck I got in 2023. Mainly talking body size but also the horns.
japantiger
S
FSGuide said:

That Reedbuck looks much smaller that the Mountain Reedbuck I got in 2023. Mainly talking body size but also the horns.

He's old, not big. I don't think he's much over 12", don't know bases, and body weight is ~175lbs based on carrying him.
japantiger
S
Some photos and a video from Thanda Game drives. We got on the Cheetah shortly after he had.made the kill...he stayed there and ate for a long time.

japantiger
S
Heading out to hunt....cold as heck...won't get out of the 40s
Naveronski
AG
Such very cool photos and stories.

Can we get a couple photos of the trucks y'all are using too?
japantiger
S
Naveronski said:

I'll take photos when we go out in the morning.

Temp never got above 42 with steady 10-12 mph winds....damn it was cold. We got on a black impala that proved smarter than we were.

Tomorrow AM is supposed to be 42 at 8:00 am...so bodes for a better day. Hopefully temps hit the high 50s
japantiger
S

japantiger
S
japantiger said:

Naveronski said:

I'll take photos when we go out in the morning.

Temp never got above 42 with steady 10-12 mph winds....damn it was cold. We got on a black impala that proved smarter than we were.

Tomorrow AM is supposed to be 42 at 8:00 am...so bodes for a better day. Hopefully temps hit the high 50s

Temps peaked in the 40s with 20 mph winds
MAROON
AG
Toyota Hilux will go just about anywhere. Great truck
ShackelfordAg99
Ahh a Toyota Taliban edition. Good truck.
Naveronski
AG
japantiger said:

Of course it's one of the Land Cruiser variants we can't get over here. Such a cool truck, hope they treat y'all well.
fullback44
AG
Those animal pics are very nice, the cheetah looks like he's just chilling out after eating a big steak meal
japantiger
S
Using a Remington 700, 300 WM, heavy bull barrel, heavy wide hand guards, Nikon 2.5 x 10 scope with a Calypso suppressor. It weighs a ton. Close to 50% more than Thulani's rifle and over double what I used in KZN.

I had been toying with getting a suppressor.....nah. Too heavy amd unbalanced. Glad I am getting to use it. Shoots well....sounds like a lady-finger firecracker going off. But with that weight, they'll be no off-hand shots.
japantiger
S
The morning was miserable. We chased a herd of Aoudad (the locals call them Barbary Sheep) all morning and they stayed one step ahead. There was no getting out of the wind. The animals just herded together so the bull we were looking for always was surrounded by the herd. We managed to get within 50 yds at one point near the end of the morning.

I was on my knees leaned into the sticks under a bushy tree. The animals moving left to right in front of us. The bull kept getting covered up or had one behind him.

By the time he came clear I was leaning far to my left, across my body and then out of room to pivot anymore and had to lift the sticks....at that the herd finally saw us and bolted....1.5 hours on the ground....we broke for lunch.
japantiger
S
Afternoon was a little better. Tempnup.some, but no break in the wind. We re-aquired the Auodad and what followed was 1.5 hour game of chasing them, getting ready to shoot and the big bull getting covered up again and again. Then we caught a break.

They ran into a big field of Cape Buffalo and stopped moving off. At that point we were able to wait until the big bull exposed himself. Another 10 minutes and he gave us a window. He was quarted away and i tried to put it back enogh to.come out the opposite shoulder. I fired.

He ran about 30 yds and went down. He got up, did another 30 or so and went down for good. The shot was just a little far back to hit the front ahoulder, but.it.got the lung and that was that.
japantiger
S

aggiesundevil4
AG
Awesome! Did you bag a Cape buffalo while you were at it?
japantiger
S
aggiesundevil4 said:

Awesome! Did you bag a Cape buffalo while you were at it?

Not this time. The oddest thing is there was a horse among the Cape Buffalo....yes, a horse.... so I don't know if those buff think they're horses or the horse thinks he's a Buffalo. I had to delay the shot at one point because the horse walked behind the Aoudad.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Fascinating
AgLA06
AG
So this appears to be the same aoudad we have in Texas (imported from Africa). Although reading a couple minutes it sounds like there may be more in Texas and Spain than native range in Africa at this point.

I thought you were in southern Africa geographically? It appears they are only supposed to be in northern Africa.
japantiger
S
Springboks loin for dinner 2 nights ago
japantiger
S
AgLA06 said:

So this appears to be the same aoudad we have in Texas (imported from Africa). Although reading a couple minutes it sounds like there may be more in Texas and Spain than native range in Africa at this point.

I thought you were in southern Africa geographically? It appears they are only supposed to be in northern Africa.

Yes, they are indigenous to Morocco, etc....same latitude as Austin for any trivia freaks. SCI considers them African animals as long as they are free range.
japantiger
S
We got going again....some beautiful Black Impala here. It took about 30 minutes and we found a group that had 4 good bulls in it. They weren't interested in going anywhere it seems so i just sat at on in the sticks while Talon figured out which one was the biggest. It took a while to sort that out...but when he made the call this guy finally gave us a broadside view at about 160 yds.
japantiger
S

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.