Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

235,283 Views | 1184 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by drred4
japantiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
chocolatelabs said:

Can we have an OB meet up at your trophy room? wherever that is?

what is the name of the outfitter.

great stories and great adventure. idk if i could stay in a blind for 16 hrs.

I'd be more than willing to host a get together.
Madubula Safaris
It was pretty awful. The blind was not deep enough to stretch out and lie flat. I think I got about three 45 minute naps. I shot hippo for the Chief after that. When we got back, I crashed.
bkf0005
AG
45 Days...seems like a great book title, the first of what sounds like many more adventures to come. Amazing thread, thanks for bringing us all along on your journey!
chocolatelabs
AG
random but do you get charged to shoot the hippos used for bait?
japantiger
S
chocolatelabs said:

random but do you get charged to shoot the hippos used for bait?
Yes.
agrams
AG
are there any animals that are revered by locals or not hunted? either species, or maybe a particular single animal that is known?

or is it "we need food and eat whatever is killed" type of situation?
Sea Speed
AG
Did the trip come in over or under budget?

Please tell me you're flying home business class.
Hwy30East
japantiger said:

CowtownAg06 said:

Good luck on the Hyena. I was in Africa (not to hunt) a while ago and woke to a Hyena mauling something right outside my hut. It was brutal and my first instinct was to hop up and go help whatever was getting got. Then I realized how dumb that was, thought about circle of life, and got back in bed.

What's the best thing you've had to eat over there?
Ouch...yeah, if no gun, not sure what you'd do other than get bit too.

Kudu steaks...hands down. I think I mentioned the lion celebration meal earlier. I've had kudu steaks 3 times on the trip. 20/20 hindsight and I would have shot a kudu earlier in the Elephant hunt., etc.).

A coworker of mine was in Africa for a while, and told me the same thing about eating Kidu. He had it multiple times during his trips there, and never could get enough.
powerbelly
AG
Hwy30East said:

japantiger said:

CowtownAg06 said:

Good luck on the Hyena. I was in Africa (not to hunt) a while ago and woke to a Hyena mauling something right outside my hut. It was brutal and my first instinct was to hop up and go help whatever was getting got. Then I realized how dumb that was, thought about circle of life, and got back in bed.

Kudu steaks...hands down. I think I mentioned the lion celebration meal earlier. I've had kudu steaks 3 times on the trip. 20/20 hindsight and I would have shot a kudu earlier in the Elephant hunt., etc.).

A coworker of mine was in Africa for a while, and told me the same thing about eating Kidu. He had it multiple times during his trips there, and never could get enough.
Kudu was second to Eland for me.
japantiger
S
agrams said:

are there any animals that are revered by locals or not hunted? either species, or maybe a particular single animal that is known?

or is it "we need food and eat whatever is killed" type of situation?
The animals are all food. If it wasn't for legal, regulated hunting and the APU's, there wouldn't be an animal left in 5 years. Looks at every African country's history where they ban hunting. Poachers wreak havoc.

Understanding the level of poverty prevalent in Africa is key in understanding how African's view their animal resources. The only reason Chinsembwe has a school and food to feed the kids is Nyakolwe hunting concession. This is true in most villages near concessions.

My estimate for this hunt is we provided over 22,000 pounds of meat to the hunting staff and surrounding villages; or 88,000 4 oz servings of meat. For most of the kids in these local schools, the only meat they get in their diet is what comes from the hunting concession preparing and delivering meat to their school each day. I'm being conservative I think...I think I lowballed the meat yield on the Elephant, Rhino and Hippo. John is getting an estimate for me as he is the expert and I'll communicate that when I have it.

japantiger
S
powerbelly said:

Hwy30East said:

japantiger said:

CowtownAg06 said:

Everyone wins!
japantiger
S
Sea Speed said:

Did the trip come in over or under budget?

Please tell me you're flying home business class.
Just a little over budget. I shot a few more animals in SA than I expected coming out. Animal quality was outstanding.

For my work, I used to travel at least 50% of the time to as much as 70% if we were bringing along a new region/big country. One World is very good to me.
SoTxAg
AG
Great stuff! I'm gonna pretend i'm in the savannah when i'm sitting on a fence line in San Pat County this weekend waiting for a dove to fly past so i can miss the shot.
ArmaLite
This trip needed its own documentary crew. I'm sad its over.
You should consider writing a book about it. Your posts are great, would love to see it in long format.
TRIDENT
AG
Just wanted to echo what the other fellas said. Thank you for sharing this epic hunting trip with us all, many of us that have scant hope of this level of adventure have been living vicariously through you.
CentralTXag
AG
Following this thread has reinforced an African hunting safari on my bucket list!
AgLA06
AG
This was epic. It was an almost too good to be true kind of thread.

I even DMd another poster asking if this was real life or Barns.

Please tell me the Quail trip in Georgia is the vintage old school kind with buggies and horses / mules.
japantiger
S
AgLA06 said:

This was epic. It was an almost too good to be true kind of thread.

I even DMd another poster asking if this was real life or Barns.

Please tell me the Quail trip in Georgia is the vintage old school kind with buggies and horses / mules.

Funny .
Yes that is the kind of bird hunt it is. A great old place and the wife is coming along
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Thank you for the thread, sir.

FTAco07
AG
I've been following along the whole time and want to echo everyone else in giving my thanks to you for letting us e-tag along with you on your adventure.
japantiger
S
If I can help with any questions please reach out
aggiesundevil4
AG
Agreed - muchas gracias japantiger. I think you posted a little reluctantly at first, so I really am thanking you for listening to the requests and quenching the thirst of the outdoors board with lots of photos and stories and replying to questions along the way. You really set the bar high for goin live threads.

Kudu and eland tie for first. Springbok and oryx tie for second. First pic is kudu tenderloin and second is eland.

B-1 83
AG
powerbelly said:

Hwy30East said:

japantiger said:

CowtownAg06 said:

Nyala was damn fine.
CowtownAg06
AG
Do you take your rifle back through the commercial airline? How difficult is it checking in Africa/Dubai and it getting home?
japantiger
S
aggiesundevil4 said:

Agreed - muchas gracias japantiger. I think you posted a little reluctantly at first, so I really am thanking you for listening to the requests and quenching the thirst of the outdoors board with lots of photos and stories and replying to questions along the way. You really set the bar high for goin live threads.

Kudu and eland tie for first. Springbok and oryx tie for second. First pic is kudu tenderloin and second is eland.

Thank you. Will respond to everyone below this post tomorrow . Gotta get up at 0330.

Puku tops oryx . They told me how good it would be. It is...we had it for dinner tonight. I chewed them out for not having me shoot a Puku for an earlier bait and taking the backstrap.
normaleagle05
AG
I look forward to tomorrow for all the questions, your responses, and Hungry Ojo's detailed prospects.
japantiger
S
Ojo...I require resume, photo's and references
Daddy-O5
AG
japantiger said:

Ojo...I require resume, photo's and references
Japantiger looking for his next "big game adventure"
japantiger
S
CowtownAg06 said:

Do you take your rifle back through the commercial airline? How difficult is it checking in Africa/Dubai and it getting home?
On both Emirates and Qatar it is pretty easy to get it to Africa. Once you check in the US, they check it thru to final destination. So you don't have to do anything with it in Doha or Dubai. Depending on the country you're going to there are permitting requirements. SA is the most stringent and requires pre-approval. Namibia and others give you a permit at the airport.

Getting it home is pretty easy. You just check it thru to the US. In JoBerg it is a bit of a maze to get it thru security and various other airline requirements....but that is mostly when transiting SA to other AFrican countries.

I don't have experience with Delta but a lot of folks use them. I'm sure someone can give you the scoop on them to SA. It must be pretty easy...they fly direct from Atlanta to JoBerg.
OnlyForNow
AG
dude, please let the board know when you'll be at the Chicken. I know I'd make a trip to buy you a beer and hear a story or two!
agcrock2005
AG
Considering the cost to send a decent white tail in for a mount is around $1,000, this trip has got to be approaching 7 figures right? I don't know how much it costs to shoot a damn lion, and then have it mounted, but I'd imagine it's pretty insane factoring in fees and shipping. Although I'm not a trophy hunter, this thread is freakin' awesome. Sad to see it coming to an end.
AgLA06
AG
Anything is possible. From what people on here have said a normal safari for a dozen or so animals is usually $15K-$25K depending on where and with who you go. Taxidermy can be that amount again.

Considering a kill count of almost 35 with
  • Rhino
  • Hippos
  • Elephants
  • Lion
  • Leapord
  • and several high end quality animals

I wouldn't be surprised if this trip was $250K. But unless he tells us, I'll never be fortunate enough to even get a quote on something this epic.

I think you're probably 2-3X high on your guess, but nothing would surprise me anymore.
jmm
I avoid Delta and Johannesburg as much as possible. It is the shortest in terms of miles/hours, but a pain to deal with. I do not like the customer service of Delta and their business class shenanigans. Overnighting, gun collections and rebooking can be a pain. I take Qatar whenever possible. I love their first class treatment and gun handling is a breeze. Overnight in Doha is not bad. Last time I flew into DFW, my gun case was on the carousel when I got to baggage claim.
AgLA06
AG
The last thing I want is more restrictions, but I hate the idea of anyone's gun box just wheeling around a carousel in baggage claim for anyone to grab. Seems like it should be one of those things that you walk to the office to claim from the cage.
Hungry Ojos
japantiger said:

Hungry Ojos said:

japantiger said:

Good day to answer questions if you have any...just avoiding the heat this afternoon. Nice breeze off the river.

Do you have any daughters that need a good husband?
Yes, 28, smart, funny and beautiful....an Aggie. A little too invested in her work right now it seems. What are your prospects?
Well, I live right down the road from you in Spanish Oaks, but my wife and kids may throw a wrench into my plan of becoming your 44 year old step son.

Still though, if she stands to inherit that Blaser I may have to think hard about this...
MyNameIsJeff
AG
AgLA06 said:

The last thing I want is more restrictions, but I hate the idea of anyone's gun box just wheeling around a carousel in baggage claim for anyone to grab. Seems like it should be one of those things that you walk to the office to claim from the cage.
That's how it's supposed to be, but it's been about 50/50 for me when flying. I've never had a consistent experience flying with a firearm... Seems like it's everyone's first time ever dealing with it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.