Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

234,519 Views | 1179 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by japantiger
japantiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
cupofjoe04 said:

japantiger said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

Is one taxidermist doing all of the work? Austin guy ? Estimated time to finish everything ?
Probably 2 this time...both Houston based...Conroe Taxidermy has done most of my stuff previously but will be using Brush Country as well this time. Conroe does good work...just getting backed up. I have 13 pieces with them now.
I second Conroe Taxidermy as well.
I used them for an elk. I went up to their place when dropping off, and one of the owners took the time to walk me around and gave me great advice on my pose. We must have looked at 50 mounts, considering all sorts of things. He took quite a bit of time and gave me great advice. They did excellent work, and shipped it to Colorado (because I moved between dropping it off and it being done) at a great price.
When you have several things to hang they will also come hang them...which given my ceiling height is pretty important.
japantiger
S
cupofjoe04 said:

Wow, being able to age such a wide variety of animals must be demanding. Just look at how many people struggle to age a whitetail. Or can't tell the difference between a stag and an elk.

How many different species would you say most areas/PH's are responsible for? Are they focusing on 8-10, or are we talking about guys that know the intimate details of 20+ species?
Any plains game or cat location is going to have to know all species...look at what I was hunting. I guess if you are in a location where only one or two species might be popular, it would be less. But in general, everything.
agcrock2005
AG
They'll just hang the hippo with these right?
Get Off My Lawn
Cromagnum said:

sanitariex said:

Can not wait to see your trophy room when it's all done

Im looking forward to each one being its own reveal which brings this thread back up to the top every couple weeks!
AV8ORAG84
AG
Been out of town, South Africa, near Kruger. Matthew Greeff Safaris . Hunting , Kruger with the family and Capetown. Last trip I got my first Buff and a really nice mountain Reedbuck
MAROON
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Wow, being able to age such a wide variety of animals must be demanding. Just look at how many people struggle to age a whitetail. Or can't tell the difference between a stag and an elk.

How many different species would you say most areas/PH's are responsible for? Are they focusing on 8-10, or are we talking about guys that know the intimate details of 20+ species?
their training requires them to know about all available species. Obviously location will determine the species for that general area - for instance we had no Wildebeest in our area of Zim but loads of Kudu and Sable. When I was in Tanzania we had loads of Wildebeest and few Sable and Kudu in that area.

There are probably guys who specialize in certain dangerous game, but I'm not exactly aware of them I think Buzz Charton is sort of thought of as an elephant hunter. I know in the old days of safari Karamojo Bell was a elephant guy.

On our hunt we had four PH's plus two apprentice PH's. Those guys are studs - even the apprentices knew everything (in fact they probably knew more about he fauna because they were freshly studying it). They know all about the animals, flora, fauna, first aid, and can fix a truck better than anyone I've ever seen. They turned a four wheel drive land cruiser into a two wheel drive when a differential broke in the field. Then replaced the differential with a new one a day later in the parking lot of the lodge.
japantiger
S
Created a quick YouTube channel so I could put some video out. This 1st one was taken on the 1st night in Limpopo. Had shot the Croc earlier that day.

This one is made to watch with the sound on....the lions decided to let us know we were there at sundown...once one got started, they all decided to chime in.

japantiger
S
Where were you in Zim and Tanzania?
cupofjoe04
AG
japantiger said:

When you have several things to hang they will also come hang them...

Not a problem… err, blessing… I've ever had. Ha ha!
japantiger
S
Airstrip in Limpopo waiting on our plane...you have to chase the plains game off the runway before your plane comes in or, well, they either won't land or the landing goes badly...

muleshoe
AG
japantiger said:

Created a quick YouTube channel so I could put some video out. This 1st one was taken on the 1st night in Limpopo. Had shot the Croc earlier that day.

This one is made to watch with the sound on....the lions decided to let us know we were there at sundown...once one got started, they all decided to chime in.

That is insane to hear! Can only image what it's like in person…
MAROON
AG
Zim - Matetsi #1
Tanzania - Selous
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
cupofjoe04
AG
What are they shooting in the video to scare them off?
japantiger
S
cupofjoe04 said:

What are they shooting in the video to scare them off?

Not shooting anything....just driving down the runway moves them off....Impala and Springbok are pretty skiddish
RED AG 98
AG
Clapping maybe? Seems there is something going pop every now and then.
The Shank Ag
RED AG 98 said:

Booty cheeks clapping on the rough road
japantiger
S
I'd like to hear more about Zim...
cupofjoe04
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Yeah, that has to be what it is I am hearing. But it seems like you can see a green laser in the video too, so I was thinking maybe they are shooting blanks to scare them. But, it could easily be someone clapping and yelling. You can see the animals clearly react after the first *clap, clap clap*.
jmm
Cup- there are a couple of emails to you with my contact. They must have gone to spam. I leave Pagosa the 12th to go back to Austin.

Japan- I get back to Austin the 12th. Let's have a drink at bee caves or Barton Creek. Your quality of animals far exceeds mine but I have made up for it with volume. Shot a lot of animals for villages, commercial, restaurants, population control, etc. Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Namibia.

Nine oh 3 two 45 double o 58

japantiger
S
An everyday, multiple times a day occurrence.

MAROON
AG
Just sent you a private message
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
japantiger
S
Look forward to it. Will be headed to TN to checknin on Mom on the 13th returning the week of the 24th.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
japantiger said:

I'd like to hear more about Zim...
Can help you some about Zim. Been many times. Favorite place to hunt as it is still the real Africa and much more affordable than Tanzania.
blackgoldag11
AG
What do you mean by it is still the real Africa?
TAMU77CLAY
AG
blackgoldag11 said:

What do you mean by it is still the real Africa?
Not overran with game "farms".
Large blocks of hunt able land both stand alone and proximity to National Parks
Best Ph's in all of Africa due to the training and appy arrangement
Reasonably effective anti poaching programs
Reasonably financially affordable-best bang for buck value
aggiesundevil4
AG
Do you have some recommended outfitters? My buddy and I still have some species on our list to get in the next 5ish years (cape buff, wildebeest, sable)
TAMU77CLAY
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

Do you have some recommended outfitters? My buddy and I still have some species on our list to get in the next 5ish years (cape buff, wildebeest, sable)
Yes. The species you listed can be found in many areas of Zim.
AV8ORAG84
AG
There are still great places in South Africa with wild animals and great hunting. Some of the ranches /farms bordering Kruger offer fantastic hunting in true big 5 country. Animals can range all the way to Mozambique. Zimbabwe is also a great place
dmart90
AG
Awesome thread! Thanks for sharing, OP! Great story telling!
japantiger
S

“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
japantiger
S
These were a daily encounter...notice the rumble as she backs off

“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
YellAgs
AG
That would be thrill of lifetime just to see those animals, and younwere shooting all of them for a dang trophy room!
japantiger
S
The USF&W applications for the Elephant and Leopard have been accepted. So that process is underway. Lion takes longer, so getting all the info together to get that one in...stay tuned.

Got a few things up on the wall today

Joseph Heller, Catch 22
DaveAg02
AG
japantiger said:

The USF&W applications for the Elephant and Leopard have been accepted. So that process is underway. Lion takes longer, so getting all the info together to get that one in...stay tuned.

Where did you get the stag? New Zealand, Patagonia? I would love to know how similar that hunt is to an elk hunt.
japantiger
S
DaveAg02 said:

japantiger said:

Where did you get the stag? New Zealand, Patagonia? I would love to know how similar that hunt is to an elk hunt.

Yes New Zealand...good hunts. Very similar to Elk hunting.
Joseph Heller, Catch 22

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.