Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

234,843 Views | 1183 Replies | Last: 33 min ago by FSGuide
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2 or 3 stick set up? I've seen both.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
japantiger
S
B-1 83 said:

3 legs. At that distance issue is no arm /elbow support. From the photos you can see there are no trees to anchor on and I couldn't see the animal prone for grass or shrubs. 95% of all shots are in sticks with no other support.
B-1 83
AG
japantiger said:

B-1 83 said:

3 legs. At that distance issue is no arm /elbow support. From the photos you can see there are no trees to anchor on and I couldn't see the animal prone for grass or shrubs. 95% of all shots are in sticks with no other support.
I've always been really steady on those for some reason. Maybe because they're so spread out for me to be low enough. 350 is my long shot (on my last zebra) on those. I have missed a 200 yard shot off the truck rack at a white springbok. Didn't miss twice. ;-)
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
agrams
AG
anyone else automatically read these posts in the voice of Robin Leach?

no? just me?

nevermind!
giddings_ag_06
AG
agrams said:

anyone else automatically read these posts in the voice of Robin Leach?

no? just me?

nevermind!
I'm reading them like David Attenborough. Much more entertaining.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
In! So jealous. Keep the pics and details coming
CS78
Cool! That croc is definitely something i would go after.

Thanks for taking the time to share!
AggieMD95
AG
japantiger said:

B-1 83 said:

Challenging. Thx for all the insights from the trip
chocolatelabs
AG
with 50 days of huntings, about how many animals are you wanting to hunt?
AgLA06
AG
chocolatelabs said:

with 50 days of huntings, about how many animals are you wanting to hunt?

Sounds like the answer is yes.
agrams
AG
how many came off Noah's ark?

that's the #...
Naveronski
AG
agrams said:

how many came off Noah's ark?

that's the #...
There were humans on the ark, too.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Geez, you sound like his wife!!!!
AG
Jack Ruby said:

Yep, wish I had the free time and money that some of you guys have.

If you have the 2nd, you can afford the 1st.

Not that I would know.
japantiger
S
White and Black Springbok. White @ 215 and Black @265 yds. Land is very open and these guys sight is off the charts. Approaching over open ground very close is difficult, hence the long shots. I would not take a 265 yd shot off the sticks at a bigger animal like a Waterbuck or Roan. Too much risk of just wounding .

japantiger
S
B-1 83 said:

japantiger said:

B-1 83 said:

I've always been really steady on those for some reason. Maybe because they're so spread out for me to be low enough. 350 is my long shot (on my last zebra) on those. I have missed a 200 yard shot off the truck rack at a white springbok. Didn't miss twice. ;-)

Laying across the cab of the truck on backpacks is an excellent shooting platform. Not quite all the advantages of prone, but very close. The added elevation is a key benefit along with the stability
lurker76
Thanks for sharing your time and your pictures. Like the rest of the board, I look forward to seeing more posts about the rest of your hunt.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Do you want to adopt a new son? I mow a mean yard and clean up aftermyself. Wife has a baby on the way so we will have grandkids covered. Thanks and gig em.
japantiger
S
Posting out of order, but got the Typical Springbok this morning...so now have the four. Shot at 240 yds off sticks and he ran off. I heard Bongani yell out and laugh, he missed him, again.... I did the walk of shame back to the car and Mtoko said he was wounded. So we ran to the truck and jumped in. What followed can best be described by referencing an old movie, Hatari. If you've ever seen the game chase scenes in that old movie that is what happened for the next 30 minutes. I wasn't strapped in a chair but it was speeding across the country side chasing a 3-legged Springbok. My shot had gone too far left (he was quartered facing me) and gone thru his lower neck with no apparent damage but broke his leg in the exit wound. He'd start and stop with me trying to lay on top of the cab to get a finishing shot anywhere from 200 to 100 yds away. The PH would be yelling "get up here" while the truck was still bouncing and then before I could get in position " shoot shoot shoot". What a hoot ... I don't know how fast we were going, but it was in excess of 30 mph on average and a couple of times we had to be going 50. He was finally wearing down and we got about 100 yds out and got him while he was moving away. The driver is quite good at that kind of chase. Glad it's the only time we've had to do it....not sure what it is about Typical Springbok that makes me shoot lousy.
japantiger
S
Range card for the gun, ammo, scope combination for those that like that kind of thing.

MAROON
AG

If you get a chance mix in a Zambezi. That was our beer for 10 days in Zim. Actually a damn fine beer.

This thread is so great. Was in Zim in late June and early July so I was in need of an Africa fix. I see you have some really cold weather - good plan to sleep in. African game doesn't move when its really cold - at least that was our experience.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Hungry Ojos
JeremiahJohnson said:

Do you want to adopt a new son? I mow a mean yard and clean up aftermyself. Wife has a baby on the way so we will have grandkids covered. Thanks and gig em.

Judging from your posts, it doesn't look like you're doing so bad yourself my friend.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Grass is always greener
AgBQ-00
AG
This thread is amazing. Thanks for sharing!
agrams
AG
will woodwork for adoption!
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I can't compete with that. ****
LSB_2002
AG
This thread is amazing and the stuff of dreams!!!!!
arrow
AG
This is a great thread!
Yes, I love the specifics on shot positions, rifle, and the range card. These details make the thread. Well, that and the beautiful animals. Africa threads have been great lately. I'm going some day
japantiger
S
MAROON said:

If you get a chance mix in a Zambezi. That was our beer for 10 days in Zim. Actually a damn fine beer.

This thread is so great. Was in Zim in late June and early July so I was in need of an Africa fix. I see you have some really cold weather - good plan to sleep in. African game doesn't move when its really cold - at least that was our experience.

It has been 25 and 28 the last 2 mornings ... Game was scarce in the morning but as the day warmed the afternoons have been great. The biggest issue with yesterday was the 20 mph winds...the animals just bed down when it's overcast and that windy. Today was sunny again and lite wind...so they were out early and in abundance even with the cold temp.

Had Zambezi at Vic Falls a few years ago....top notch beer!
japantiger
S
Back to day 2 in chronology. I'll comment on details later ... a great stalk into 110yds. 2nd photo shows shot placement.

aggiesundevil4
AG
Japantiger- please tell us you are eating the springbok…I still salivate when I remember how amazing they were when I lived over there…pics would be even better…I would eat it over beef every day of the week.
gonemaroon
MAROON
AG
yep and also if you are a liver fan I found that plains game liver as an appetizer was off the charts good. Every plains game I shot I asked they cooked the liver that night.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Centerpole90
aggiesundevil4
AG
Agreed - oryx/gemsbok liver eaten day of kill was one of the best meals I've ever had.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.