Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

258,185 Views | 1314 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by japantiger
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
japantiger said:

Sea Speed said:

When you get your leopard i vote you get it mounted like this.

By the way, thanks to SeaSpeed's photo and recommendation on a leopard mount...we used the Steenbok I had shot in the mount on top of the tent awning....

Do I win a free trip to the trophy room?
japantiger
S
Sea Speed said:

japantiger said:

Sea Speed said:

By the way, thanks to SeaSpeed's photo and recommendation on a leopard mount...we used the Steenbok I had shot in the mount on top of the tent awning....

Absolutely...we should have a get together in June when I get back from this next trip
AgLA06
AG
japantiger said:

Sea Speed said:

japantiger said:

Sea Speed said:

Absolutely...we should have a get together in June when I get back from this next trip

It's a housewarming for your knew pets.
japantiger
S
Landed in Johannesburg last night. Staying at the Fairlawns hotel for 2 nights before heading to Pretoria to catch the train. Taking Rovos Rail to Capetown, 3 nights with stops along the way.

ORT was practically deserted last night. The only people we saw were on the Delta flight from Atlanta. The hunting season really just starting. The flight was packed.

My wife last night in her native habitat
lurker76
Good hunting.
japantiger
S
lurker76 said:

Good hunting.

Thanks....hunting starts on May 21st.

Traveling back in time the next three days on Rovos Rail to Capetown.

pdc093
The opulence.... gorgeous.
I love following this thread. Safe travels, and good hunting, JT.
aggiesundevil4
AG
If only we could rename this the 'everyone living vicariously through japantiger thread'
Bert315
AG
May 21st is going to be like Christmas for this board.
japantiger
S
How they've kept this alive in South Africa is some story

japantiger
S
The service is over the top. Jet lagged so up at 3:30....went into the lounge...coffee in front of me in less than 5 minutes. Very high standards.

Everything on the train is custom. Had a tour of the operation before boarding. They run 15 routes across Southern Africa. The engines and cars have been cobbled together from various RRs worldwide. Since none of this is being made any longer, they have to get 3 engines to get enough parts to make one serviceable engine. They do all the paneling, fixtures....they even make their own toilet seats.

TH36
Cromagnum
AG
Bert315 said:

May 21st is going to be like Christmas for this board.

Storytime with the Tiger.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
japantiger said:

How they've kept this alive in South Africa is some story

A step back in time. Outstanding
japantiger
S
Croc appetizer tonight...every meal is a 4 courses with wine/licquor paired. It's a marathon...
pdc093
A claw foot tub on a TRAIN?!?
Wow.
You and the Mrs. look DIVINE.
japantiger
S
Taken from the fantail of the Observation Car...
TAMU77CLAY
AG
japantiger said:

Croc appetizer tonight...every meal is a 4 courses with wine/licquor paired. It's a marathon...

TAMU77CLAY
AG
TAMU77CLAY said:

japantiger said:

very dapper
redaszag99
Awesome

Gig'em

I hope you and your wife have a fantastic trip
japantiger
S
Going by Karreekloof where I hunted in 2022. Have seen antelope, blesbok, sable on the ride this afternoon
RO519
AG
japantiger said:

This thread delivers! Only japantiger can pull off a tux one night and killing big game the next week!
Cromagnum
AG
JT needs to write a book on this so we can get it in front of a movie director one of these days.
marcel ledbetter
Yep!
japantiger
S
Train reached Capetown, a little late after we lost an engine and had to wait to get it replaced.... and then a tractor trailer ran into a railroad bridge...in the accident cleanup the crews ripped up the fiber optic cable and it took out all the rail signals from Kimberly to Worcester. We ultimately got under way but had to stop, call and manually set the lights at each major junction....all the while, we were fed extra meals, plied with barrels of South African wine and Scotch. It was a blur of Victorian splendor.

japantiger
S

japantiger
S

Beautiful little town in the middle of nowhere .

japantiger
S
Some animal I spy

japantiger
S
I think Capetown is the prettiest city on the planet...in order Hout Bay, the Cape of Good Hope and False Bay

aggiesundevil4
AG
I agree, been there several times - multiple wineries in Stellenbosch have my favorite vistas in the world
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I am going to be disappointed if you don't conclude this trip with a dive in a shark cage
RO519
AG
No kidding. The broad spectrum of things captured by this thread is amazing. Crocs, hippos, pinguins, whisky, trains, guns... the list goes on and on.
Big Bucks
AG
You and your wife are like Spence and Alex Dutton from 1923. New Zealand was my dream trip, but you may have changed my mind. Enjoy!
japantiger
S
aggiesundevil4 said:

I agree, been there several times - multiple wineries in Stellenbosch have my favorite vistas in the world

This is our 1st time in the Cape. 20-20 hindsight I would have scheduled about 3 more days here to do things in more detail. I would like to do the Signal and Cable Mtn hikes...more time at tje Cape of Good Hope...things like that.

This region is very different than the rest of the countryside.

We are going to Stellenbosch/Franschoek areas tomorrow. Favorite wineries?
AgLA06
AG
If you tag out early, you can always go back on the way home!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.