Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

235,143 Views | 1184 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by drred4
japantiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
The Asst PH was in as bad a position as I was. From where he was sitting, he had his rifle across his knee with a lite in his hand... even if he could shoot his rifle would have been useless to land a killing blow...it would have just pissed the elephant off shooting him someplace ineffective to stop him. As for the the PH, had he had to I am sure he could have delivered a killing brain shot; at an extremely steep angle, but all a matter of lining up the ear holes and hitting the elephant where the shell passes thru to the brain. Then the question is where does the elephant fall? A brain shot takes the back legs out from under the elephant. So that's good. At least he'd likely not fall forward on us and kill us all.

But as he falls, which way does he roll? And do his tusks extend out just far enough to impale the PH and whoever is on the falling side as he rolls that way? The PH would likely get it though...he was only a yard or so from the nose of the animal. Now, if the Asst PH bought it, at least he would go out with a gun in his hand facing toward the elephant. There would be glowing articles written in Game Tracker mag about the two valiant PHs going down with a gun in their hands.

On the other hand, if I bought it, the examination of the puddle would say the terrified hunter was facing away from the elephant (probably say trying to run away) having discarded his weapon and tragically carrying only a single bullet in his hand forever shaming his family and bringing disgrace to his house.....
krosch11
AG
Photo of the blind really puts things into perspective. I'm not sure I wouldn't have been just as scared of the hyena . Those are such odd creatures and much larger than you'd think. Great descriptions thanks for sharing
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Any word on the young PH that the flies got? Or did I miss an update?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Forget Capstick, i want a signed first printing of your book!
japantiger
S
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Sorry I had not responded on that. He's back in the US and undergoing treatment . No improvement yet. And no real diagnosis either so far.
Sea Speed
AG
Japan tiger, any way to get a tooth of one of those hippos you've shot? I would absolutely love that, or is it very controlled like the elephants?
agrams
AG
do want!
japantiger
S
Had to leave blind after 7 1/2 hours last night .

We were about to be surrounded by a full herd . They just kept moving in and we had no place left to steer them to. It was midnight
Bregxit
AG
japantiger said:

Sorry I had not responded on that. He's back in the US and undergoing treatment . No improvement yet. And no real diagnosis either so far.
Not sleeping sickness is it?
japantiger
S
japantiger said:

The Asst PH was in as bad a position as I was. From where he was sitting, he had his rifle across his knee with a lite in his hand... even if he could shoot his rifle would have been useless to land a killing blow...it would have just pissed the elephant off shooting him someplace ineffective to stop him. As for the the PH, had he had to I am sure he could have delivered a killing brain shot; at an extremely steep angle, but all a matter of lining up the ear holes and hitting the elephant where the shell passes thru to the brain. Then the question is where does the elephant fall? A brain shot takes the back legs out from under the elephant. So that's good. At least he'd likely not fall forward on us and kill us all.

But as he falls, which way does he roll? And do his tusks extend out just far enough to impale the PH and whoever is on the falling side as he rolls that way? The PH would likely get it though...he was only a yard or so from the nose of the animal. Now, if the Asst PH bought it, at least he would go out with a gun in his hand facing toward the elephant. There would be glowing articles written in Game Tracker mag about the two valiant PHs going down with a gun in their hands.

On the other hand, if I bought it, the examination of the puddle would say the terrified hunter was facing away from the elephant (probably say trying to run away) having discarded his weapon and tragically carrying only a single bullet in his hand forever shaming his family and bringing disgrace to his house.....

We finally got to talk about this last night when we got in. The PH said he would not have brained the bull for that very reason . He said his plan was shoot him high on the head to knock him back a few steps and then brain him. He showed photos of a PH that had been crushed in just such an incident . The elephant landed on him from his chest down... grizzly death
japantiger
S
In talking last night, the PH differed with the Asst PH on what was behind our blind that jumped up an ran away. The PH said it was the leopard. He said a hyena just wouldn't lay down there...they move too much. He said he heard the hyena move away after it come to our blind. He said he heard the leopard creep in and then the sound just stopped. He was quite adamant on that point.

It also sounded like the leopard creeped in and checked us out a twice last night. He did not lie down behing the blind however. The big whooping hyena was also back. His whoop is a big baritone that lasts a long time. he made two laps around the bait and blind during the night and walked off singing to his buddies. We had planned to stay all night as necessary...again, we had to give up around midnight. Too many elephants around...we were about 5 minutes away from being surrounded with no real good options...when the truck pulls up, you don't want the elephants between you and the truck.

The above photo is the gun rig from inside the blind. When shooting time comes all I do is click the safety off and minimal movement to get the gun on target. Quiet and efficient.

The blind is a Woven grass shack with the corner and center posts buried in the ground bound by synthetic twine. Relatively sturdy for all but elephant and hippo assaults.
japantiger
S
Bregxit said:

japantiger said:

They don't think so...and I think the onset would have been too quick for that but I am no expert on the topic. Maybe others know more on the topic...I just know they are a pain the ass and try to avoid being bitten...it's all pretty puzzling.

He was a very healthy young man otherwise all thru SA and Namibia...very healthy lifefsyle...no drinking, no smoking, works out, probably 6% body fat...looks like a statue... this just hit out of the blue and he tried to power thru it thinking it was a one day thing. I'll follow up with the Dad today and see if there is more news.
Bregxit
AG
japantiger said:

Bregxit said:

japantiger said:

They don't think so...and I think the onset would have been too quick for that but I am no expert on the topic. Maybe others know more on the topic...I just know they are a pain the ass and try to avoid being bitten...it's all pretty puzzling.

He was a very healthy young man otherwise all thru SA and Namibia...very healthy lifefsyle...no drinking, no smoking, works out, probably 6% body fat...looks like a statue... this just hit out of the blue and he tried to power thru it thinking it was a one day thing. I'll follow up with the Dad today and see if there is more news.
I hope he gets better. Love the thread sir. Much respect.
japantiger
S
Got a few inquiries on Mom. She continues in skilled nursing center getting extra help with her infection and the wound on her leg. Progress is good, but slow. A few more days there before returning to her place. Thanks so much to all those asking and we appreciate the prayers.
japantiger
S

Hwy30East
Success?????
blackgoldag11
Daddy-O5
DallasAg 94
Bert315
AG
Get Off My Lawn
japantiger said:

"Local villagers ceremoniously shake down foreigner following successful hunt"
powerbelly
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

japantiger said:

"Local villagers ceremoniously shake down foreigner following successful hunt"
I was thinking of Star Wars, where the Ewoks haul C3PO around in a chair.

AgEng06
Daddy-O5
AG

ArmaLite
Oh man here we go! The moment we have all be waiting for!
Larry S Ross
AG
I read it that they quit hunting at midnight.

"Had to leave blind after 7 1/2 hours last night .

We were about to be surrounded by a full herd . They just kept moving in and we had no place left to steer them to. It was midnight "

Edit. Add quotes to his text
Good Day.
Thunder18
Bird Poo
AG
I bet he got a big one.
Hungry Ojos
Or maybe they just made him king.
HouseDivided06
AG
I've seen this Bugs Bunny cartoon too many times. They carry you around like royalty, throw you in what you THINK is a hot tub, and then start cutting carrots and potatoes into it. RIP but thanks for the greatest thread in OB history.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
To add to the mystery before he reveals his kill, the celebration in the photo is usually reserved when a lion is killed. The custom comes from the joy of the locals that simba has been eliminated from their area and is now safer for their lives.
CanyonAg77
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

I've seen this Bugs Bunny cartoon too many times. They carry you around like royalty, throw you in what you THINK is a hot tub, and then start cutting carrots and potatoes into it. RIP but thanks for the greatest thread in OB history.
OnlyForNow
AG
Did that Indian sound a lot like Elmer Fudd?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Which is odd because don't leopards kill a lot more people than lions?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.