*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

178,407 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by jeffk
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bobinator said:

Took me a bit to place that guy last episode. He's The Broker from Guardians.

That's it!

I knew he was in Guardians but was thinking he was one of Yondu's gang that is shooting up towards the ships crashing down towards Nova.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

If you watch the original trilogy, what Palpatine wants is power. That's it. It doesn't matter what form it takes, only that he has it. As powerful as he is, he can't be everywhere at once. That's why he has the empire to carry out all of his orders and to maintain order.

I assume you meant the Prequel trilogy. Palpatine is barely in the OT and we know next to nothing about him.

He's barely there, but I think you learn a lot about him and his motivations through Vader. Basically all talk of Palpatine from Vader is about power, and there's that line about how Luke doesn't know the power of the dark side and how even Vader, probably the most powerful and feared individual in the entire empire, must obey him because of it.
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

This the Vernon Reid that plays guitar for Living Colour?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

If you watch the original trilogy, what Palpatine wants is power. That's it. It doesn't matter what form it takes, only that he has it. As powerful as he is, he can't be everywhere at once. That's why he has the empire to carry out all of his orders and to maintain order.

I assume you meant the Prequel trilogy. Palpatine is barely in the OT and we know next to nothing about him.

He's barely there, but I think you learn a lot about him and his motivations through Vader. Basically all talk of Palpatine from Vader is about power, and there's that line about how Luke doesn't know the power of the dark side and how even Vader, probably the most powerful and feared individual in the entire empire, must obey him because of it.

Sure, but 95% of what we know about Palpatine (in the films) comes from the prequels, especially his desire for ultimate power above all else.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Sure, but 95% of what we know about Palpatine (in the films) comes from the prequels, especially his desire for ultimate power above all else.
I would argue that the only thing we learned about Palpatine in the prequels was that he was a senator from naboo before becoming emperor. We always knew he was a dark side user who sought total control and didn't want any jedi around.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How about his name? Or the fact that he single-handedly orchestrated the mass execution of Jedi throughout the galaxy? Or how he was able to turn a Republic into an Empire?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How about his name? Or the fact that he single-handedly orchestrated the mass execution of Jedi throughout the galaxy? Or how he was able to turn a Republic into an Empire?

None of which is relevant to understanding what he wants. The original trilogy tells us all we need to know about his motivations, which are the consolidation of power and the subjugation of the galaxy.
The Porkchop Express
Andor Season 2 starts filming on November 21.

Tony Gilroy confirms to Collider that Yavin IV will be seen.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
DTP02
AG
My favorite part of this last episode was taking a great character in Meera, who many on this thread seemed to be openly rooting for, and showing what her job and ambition actually look like outside of the conference room. It's evil, and terrible, and so is she.

Really a great bit of character-building and a case where subverting the audience's feelings and expectations is a logical and meaningful part of the plot and world, instead of just being a self-congratulatory "gotcha"exercise of the director.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man I am ready for next episode. Is it Wednesday yet?
The Porkchop Express
I actually think the best thing about Meera is that she is sure she's right. Her job is to weed out insurgents against the Empire. She wants to do her job well. She gives Bix and the others a chance to comply, and when they don't, she goes to more harsh methods - I mean, that's what our government agents do, right? It's a bit of an irony that Cassian is the character who has the ****tiest belief system - the Han Solo pre-reversal of fortune at the Death Star - idea of I'm here to get paid, and get the hell out. Don't care about an Empire or a Rebellion, just me getting mine.

We assume some paradigm shift is coming for Cassian to rebel against the Empire in the next few episodes, but if he could have found a way to get out of that prison by himself, or at the cost of 10 other guys' lives, you know he would have taken it.

Flawed or not, everyone else is working for a cause higher than themselves - Luthen, Mo to the Othma, Bix, Meera, Qyburn, Henry Thomas - all of them have a sense of right and wrong guiding their actions; Cassian is the outlier.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Any ideas about that pipe Andor has been cutting through?
beagle2009
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My guess is he is either trying to trip an alarm to create a diversion / open the door for an escape, or break off a piece of metal to use as a shiv.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
beagle2009 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

My guess is he is either trying to trip an alarm to create a diversion / open the door for an escape, or break off a piece of metal to use as a shiv.

Cut the power to the frying pan floors
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
The Porkchop Express
In the next episode, Andor acquires a rock hammer.

twilly
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

And a big damn poster....
The Porkchop Express
twilly said:

And a big damn poster....

Kino Loy loves it when she does that **** with her hair.

A thing I really like about those prison scenes in Andor is that there is no big bad warden or sadistic guard that they all rally against. it's so painfully anonymous.
jeffk
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

beagle2009 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Flood the floor to short out the circuits?
The Porkchop Express
jeffk said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

beagle2009 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Flood the floor to short out the circuits?
Maybe it is for a weapon. He and the other guy were clearly noticing that the floor above and the floor on the little elevator were not electrified. The problem is that unless you just killed all the guards, I can't imagine putting a sharp object to one guard's neck is going to get the other guards to do anything. Not to mention they're in the middle of a very large body of water. We've seen him flying a TIE in the previews, but that doesn't look like the kind of place that's important enough to have a TIE fighter just sitting around.

Feels more and more like there's going to be some sort of simultaneous break out / rescue mission. Really has a lot of intersecting points that could make for a crazy situation - he's trying to get out, the Waif is supposed to be silencing him, the ISB wants him in order to figure out who Axis is. I could definitely see a scenario where the prison break goes bad, they're all about to get vaped, and the ISB shows up and kills the prison guards before they kill him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My biggest question is what the hell they plan to do when they manage to take over the prison.

To quote Ocean's 11...

Of course, lest we forget, once you're out the front door, you're still in the middle of the ****ing desert!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now granted, if they all attended the Galadriel school of swimming, it shouldn't be a problem. They might swim clear across to Coruscant.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Now granted, if they all attended the Galadriel school of swimming, it shouldn't be a problem. They might swim clear across to Coruscant.
Maybe they go surfing in those whirlpools.

That being said, it's been stated on this thread but I'll just add another echo, how is this show is so great all around? It seems like the complete opposite of all of the Obi Wan crap.

I watched Obi Wan and immediately forgot it all, that stuff is non-canon in my own personal Star Wars mind. I watched neither Mando or Boba. I was in on this one because Rogue One was so fantastic and I was hoping to get something similar to that. And dammit if they are not delivering that and then some.
maroon barchetta
Any chance Kino is able to sneak one of those lasers off one of the tables and get it to the cell area? Or the corridor where shift change happens?
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Swimming away from the prison in the water is a great touch point for this pitch meeting.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Next team would certainly miss it
ABATTBQ11
AG
There are probably transports or TIE fighters somewhere. All those parts have to go somewhere, and there's no way the empire leaves a place like that without air cover.
maroon barchetta
ABATTBQ11 said:

Next team would certainly miss it

They would need to use it quickly for whatever plan they have!
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think most likely thing is that they use it on the guard on the lift and the ones in the control room. They could potentially have everyone else jump onto the tables or carts to avoid the floor until they take the controls. Or, cassian has been working to cut the lines in the bathroom area.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CondensedFogAggie

Maybe it is for a weapon. He and the other guy were clearly noticing that the floor above and the floor on the little elevator were not electrified. The problem is that unless you just killed all the guards, I can't imagine putting a sharp object to one guard's neck is going to get the other guards to do anything. Not to mention they're in the middle of a very large body of water. We've seen him flying a TIE in the previews, but that doesn't look like the kind of place that's important enough to have a TIE fighter just sitting around.

When Andor first enters the prison control room, he's carefully looking everywhere and listening. He's clearly interested in how much manpower is available when he listens intently to the guard that's late, and was looking at the number of boots on the wall. In conclusion, yeah no idea what he's going to do

CondensedFogAggie
Chipotlemonger said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

That being said, it's been stated on this thread but I'll just add another echo, how is this show is so great all around? It seems like the complete opposite of all of the Obi Wan crap.
For me it's because the stakes are high and the danger along with the consequences are vivid and real. The Empire isn't some dumb moronic group of idiots that can't shoot the side of the barn. Most of the Imperial officers come off as dedicated, smart, ruthless and highly process oriented without making mistakes. And the rank and file soldiers seem highly competent as well.

In short they're frightening in a way I can't recall feeling watching any of the other shows.

The good guys are barely making it out by sheer desperation and the skin of their teeth, and many are actually dead or will be.
twilly
AG
New footage alert!!!
PatAg
AG
My general expectation is Meera finds out, through some means, that Andor is in the prison facility.
I also expect him to escape the facility before they arrive to take possession of him.

This expectation means that won't happen of course.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think it would have TIEs. It's a manufacturing facility and prison. It's a prime target for rebels to hit manufacturing and breakout prisoners, all in one go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.