*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,107 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Glad I missed whatever the spoiler was.

I swear there's someone every year...
GreasenUSA
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No big deal. Was likely the resolution of the entire show. Fun times.
GreasenUSA
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to spoil anything, it's just annoying when they do inadvertently because they can't help themselves.
And you do it intentionally within minutes after posting this.

canadiaggie
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

canadiaggie said:

There isn't a single spoiler on this page unless you mean the two posts discussing whether or not Rhaenyra's already clearly established faction will be called the Blacks or not.

A war between Greens and Blacks has not yet started. The Targs haven't even been called that yet in the show. So maybe keep discussion about the Blacks vs Greens war on the book thread.

You are the first person to bring up any war between any factions.
PascalsWager
AG
This show is causing me to have some self realization.

Apparently people men seem to think Alicent is the bad guy on the show. They think she's a Cercei like character. Cercei was ugly so it was easy to hate her. Alicent is beautiful so its hard to see her as the villian.

I'm a poor, surface level judge of character it seems.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
canadiaggie said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

canadiaggie said:

There isn't a single spoiler on this page unless you mean the two posts discussing whether or not Rhaenyra's already clearly established faction will be called the Blacks or not.

A war between Greens and Blacks has not yet started. The Targs haven't even been called that yet in the show. So maybe keep discussion about the Blacks vs Greens war on the book thread.

You are the first person to bring up any war between any factions.

Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

Curious to see if they use it, even though the primary Targ color is Black.
They have to. Not using Blacks would be like Star Wars renaming the Empire something goofy like "The First Order".

Analogizing it to Star Wars tells me there is a war.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
GreasenUSA said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to spoil anything, it's just annoying when they do inadvertently because they can't help themselves.
And you do it intentionally within minutes after posting this.

Sorry, the people I was talking to were saying that stuff from Game of Thrones wasn't a spoiler. My bad.
powerbelly
AG
PascalsWager said:

Apparently people men seem to think Alicent is the bad guy on the show. They think she's a Cercei like character. Cercei was ugly so it was easy to hate her. Alicent is beautiful so its hard to see her as the villian.

I have literally never heard anyone think Lena Headley was ugly.
The Dog Lord
AG
Bunbury said:

I love that they are slowing down individual episodes to take place in a brief period of time, but I do hope the time-jumps in-between episodes slows down. Without any spoilers, can anyone speak to if S2 or S3 will slow down and S1 is table-setting/context?
Showrunners confirmed the next time jump (next week's episode) is the last. We should then be done with the years of backstory and into the meat of the series.
canadiaggie
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Bunbury said:

I love that they are slowing down individual episodes to take place in a brief period of time, but I do hope the time-jumps in-between episodes slows down. Without any spoilers, can anyone speak to if S2 or S3 will slow down and S1 is table-setting/context?
Showrunners confirmed the next time jump (next week's episode) is the last. We should then be done with the years of backstory and into the meat of the series.

Kind of weird to consider that this season is basically a super long prologue and still somehow garnered so much attention and acclaim.

Really stands in contrast to all the prognostication that GoT was a dead franchise especially by bitter hardcore GoT ex-fans.
MASAXET
AG
Urban Ag said:

Will have to re-watch. Any series the wife and I watch is typically paused 6-7 times per episode so my wife can rant about something random from work. I guess I missed whatever you're alluding too, probably from distraction.

The Porkchop Express
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Bunbury said:

Isn't posting that there's a time jump in the next episode a spoiler?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Dog Lord
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

The Dog Lord said:

Bunbury said:

Not if it's in the preview for next week's episode
combat wombat™
AG
PascalsWager said:

Actually, Alicent is probably a better person than Rhaenyra from a moral perspective. However, she is thoroughly unlikeable, IMO.

Otto has led Alicent to believe that if Rhaenyra becomes queen she'll kill her sons. So now she doesn't want Rhaenyra to be queen. IMO, she's justifying all that upon Rhaenyra's behavior and to protect her kids. Otto created the Alicent problem... she was initially sweet and pliable. But she now believes Rhaenyra is a threat to her kids. Also, from her perspective, she's probably bitter because she's done her duty with her icky king while Rhaenyra has been sexually promiscuous (from Alicent's viewpoint).
canadiaggie
AG
Yeah I think her statement about duty and sacrifice during the knife scene is pretty indicative of her worldview. I actually think the show didn't play this up enough but historically (and before anyone SPOILERS me, I'm referencing lore pre-HotD) the main seat of the Faith of the Seven is in Oldtown and GRRM notes in A World of Ice and Fire and in Fire and Blood during the reigns of Aenys and Maegor the Cruel that the Hightowers are considered a deeply pious family (also I'm pretty sure Alicent wears a religious necklace during the show, and there was that whole scene in the Sept in the first or second episode). So Alicent has been this nice pious girl who boinks her rotting husband out of duty while Rhaenyra is a godless foreigner - really, all the Valyrian houses sort of are - and gets to boink who she wants with daddy turning a blind eye and acting as a shield from repercussions. On top of that Otto has been telling her all this time that Rhaenyra does what she wants and is wilful and stubborn and that she'll do anything to secure her reign, and realistically, knowing what Alicent knows about Rhaenyra, she doesn't have good reason to doubt her father.

She's annoying as heck, but her motivations are clear and actually quite sympathetic.
The Dog Lord
AG
combat wombat said:

PascalsWager said:

Actually, Alicent is probably a better person than Rhaenyra from a moral perspective. However, she is thoroughly unlikeable, IMO.

Otto has led Alicent to believe that if Rhaenyra becomes queen she'll kill her sons. So now she doesn't want Rhaenyra to be queen. IMO, she's justifying all that upon Rhaenyra's behavior and to protect her kids. Otto created the Alicent problem... she was initially sweet and pliable. But she now believes Rhaenyra is a threat to her kids. Also, from her perspective, she's probably bitter because she's done her duty with her icky king while Rhaenyra has been sexually promiscuous (from Alicent's viewpoint).
Agreed. Alicent could try to de-escalate things through something like a marriage alliance, but Rhaenyra made that unlikely by producing *******s. It's understandable Alicent wouldn't view that as providing stability since people would still question the legitimacy of Rhaenyra's line in multiple ways.
El_duderino
Rhaenyra proposed the marriage alliance, but Alicent **** on that. Due to the ******* kids like you said
El_duderino

The Dog Lord said:

Bunbury said:

It was literally in the episode 8 preview.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Really stands in contrast to all the prognostication that GoT was a dead franchise especially by bitter hardcore GoT ex-fans.
With how badly S7 ended, they had to knock this out of the park. Happily, to me at least, they are (too dark cinematography this last episode not withstanding).
M.C. Swag
AG
Except the part where she condoned the act of Larys murdering his brother and father (the highest of crimes in Westeros).

https://twitter.com/yourboyalbert/status/327874976327819264
The Dog Lord
AG
El_duderino said:

Rhaenyra proposed the marriage alliance, but Alicent **** on that. Due to the ******* kids like you said
Even if the kids weren't *******s, I think she has also just written Rhaenyra off. She probably wouldn't want to associate herself or her kids with them based on her sense of superiority. It would be interesting to know if she would have refused in that situation though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
GreasenUSA said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

No big deal. Was likely the resolution of the entire show. Fun times.
Did that really get posted?

Wow. That is seriously infuriating.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A lot of people don't watch the previews, myself included. I've requested before to put those in spoiler tags as a courtesy.
TCTTS
AG
powerbelly said:

PascalsWager said:

Ha, this. I thought surely he was talking about being ugly on the inside or something. Because on the outside, Headley has been the opposite of ugly for as long as she's been acting.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I gotta ask, who else isn't watching the preview of the next episode?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Except the part where she condoned the act of Larys murdering his brother and father (the highest of crimes in Westeros).
She literally says that's not what she wanted.
WES2006AG
AG

I usually do watch next week's preview but haven't this week because I was in a hurry Sunday night.
The Porkchop Express
AG

Quote:

Cercei was ugly so it was easy to hate her.

Maybe if I was drunk and it was closing time /texags entertainment board.

PascalsWager
AG
TCTTS said:

powerbelly said:

PascalsWager said:

Ha, this. I thought surely he was talking about being ugly on the inside or something. Because on the outside, Headley has been the opposite of ugly for as long as she's been acting.
I shouldn't have said ugly. I meant masculine. Angular faced and beady eyed. The character is portrayed as masculine in makeup in character inside and out.

I won't comment on the actress.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

M.C. Swag said:

Then she should have had him punished. He murdered the Hand of the King and the former Commander of the City Watch, both members of a house that rules the greatest keep in Westeros.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

M.C. Swag said:

Lol oh come on. Sure, she SAID that's not what she wanted… and then proceeded to report larys to the King for high treason? Oh no she actually decided to keep him around and cozy up to the idea that having a ruthless, kin-slaying, murderer on standby was exactly what she wanted.
PatAg
AG

I never watch any previews for any show.
At best, they are intentionally misleading in some way, and at worst they will make major moments in the episode be less impactful because you have already seen it.

I do understand why others watch it, its just not for me, and I've always thought they should be counted as spoilers.
powerbelly
AG
PatAg said:

I never watch any previews for any show.
At best, they are intentionally misleading in some way, and at worst they will make major moments in the episode be less impactful because you have already seen it.

Are you me?

BenFiasco14
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Ya know what's funny is we applaud Rhaenyra for letting Laenor live, but what about the poor guy that got tossed in the fire just minding his business going about his duty. Probably has kids that wondered what happened to him.

Daemon/Rhaenyra are still murderers but we didn't know him so ehhhh

It goes beyond the fireplace guy. I think R is a grade A piece of ****, a *****, and recklessly self centered.

She "boinks" (as another poster stated) whomever she wants, her station and duty be damned, and leaves bodies in her wake everywhere she goes. In addition to fireplace guy, her lover and the father of her ******* kids also got burned alive for tangling with her. It's R being a ***** that's the genesis of the conflict between her kids and Allicents kids, and the reason why their House is breaking apart. Sure the King has some responsibility too for being oblivious, but R doesn't give a damn about him or anyone else but herself (and possibly her children now)

She's made an enemy of Cristion it seems as well which I am sure will bite her in the ass at some point.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner said:

M.C. Swag said:

Then she should have had him punished. He murdered the Hand of the King and the former Commander of the City Watch, both members of a house that rules the greatest keep in Westeros.

That's not the same as condoning it though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.