*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

256,972 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Dog Lord
deer corn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe Aegon is going to be like a Jeffrey and be cruel to women when he figures out what to do with his peen.
The Porkchop Express
deer corn said:

Maybe Aegon is going to be like a Jeffrey and be cruel to women when he figures out what to do with his peen.
Which Jeffrey are we talking about here?

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
deer corn
Oh look at me I misspelled Geoffrey.
bluefire579
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

cbr said:

question - is there any character in this series yet that stands up to any of a huge list of GOT characters?

when you read that list and then think about this show.... man, that's why GOT was a big hit and released first. Those characters were just fantastic. (yes, i was not a fan of a couple of the season 8 episodes either, but you can still watch and enjoy up until then).

i just dont see anyone here comparing to that list very well.

thoughts?

My thought is that you are comparing a show that ran over the course of nine years and was based on a book series whose first volume was published in 1996 with a TV series that has had 5 episodes and is based on a segment of a book that was told as if you were reading the encyclopedia.

IIRC, a decent part of the thread on TexAgs for the first season of the GoT show was people griping that there too many guys with beards and they couldn't keep the characters straight. When the first season ends, I think would be a good time to take stock of how many characters you're enjoying and want more of. What you've seen so far is a fraction of the Dance of the Dragons. If you were only 5 episodes into the original show, think of all the amazing people you wouldn't have seen yet and all the marvelous subplots yet unearthed.

And it's super easy to compare because we can go back and see where the season was. At this point in season one of GoT, we've only just had Viserys get crowned. Robb has not marched to war, Ned still has a head, Robert is still alive, Dany has no dragons, Benjen hasn't gone north yet, and Jon hasn't even been assigned as the Lord Commander's steward.

I said it earlier in this thread, but if you look at how people rate GoT episodes, the vast majority of the top ones are in the center seasons, with a few outliers. Given that the first season was only watched by about 2 million people per episode (a number that grew exponentially), I imagine there's a lot of people who binged after the fact and forget that it moved at a steady pace as well, establishing players and motives as it moved toward the larger conflict, a conflict that we really only get a taste of in the first season.
Bregxit
AG
deer corn said:

Oh dear...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
deer corn said:

deer corn
I don't really care. You knew WTF I meant.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Geoffrey Chaucer?
CondensedFogAggie
Yes House of the Dragon doesn't show an existential threat right off the bat like GOT.

But even if you haven't read the books, I'm pretty sure most of y'all see where this show is going. The queen, her powerful house, allies, and dragons. And there is the other powerful houses, their allies and dragons.

Me personally I think the pace is just fine. If we'd stayed with the teens any longer, I probably would have started complaining things were too slow.

TCTTS
AG
This is probably obvious, but I go back to the final line of the opening montage voice over in the pilot, which, for me, set the theme/expectations...

"The only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon was itself."

In other words, from the jump, they wanted us to know that this is primarily a series about a single family. Where as GoT was about multiple, external families and their assault on/claim to the throne, HotD is the inverse of that; one family destroying themselves from within. It's told on a slightly smaller scale for sure, but has the same, "Who will take the throne?" question at the center.
TCTTS
AG
On a similar note, I heard someone on a podcast today reference an article or interview saying that the reason the birth scenes are so visceral and exaggerated in their sounds/intensity is because, at least in this early stage in the series, wombs are where and how the various battles are being fought. I thought that was a really cool way of looking at it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was a line of dialogue in episode 1. Agreed.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
TCTTS said:

On a smilier note, I heard someone on podcast today reference an article or interview saying that the reason the birth scenes are so visceral and exaggerated in their sounds/intensity is because, at least this early stage in the series, wombs are where and how the various battles are being fought. I thought that was a really cool way of looking at it.

That's all well and good for the first scene. But this one was just her face and disgusting unfitting sounds.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That was a line of dialogue in episode 1. Agreed.

I'm just saying that the show told us in the opening montage exactly what it's going to be. So if people are looking for something bigger and more traditionally GoT, expectations probably need to be set accordingly because we might not ever get that. I'm sure the show will expand from what it is now, but at its core, it's a smaller, different dynamic. Which, for the very first "spin-off," I'm totally fine with.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm talking about the womb being the women's battlefield line.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, oh, I mistakenly thought that was a reply to my other post.

Missed that line of dialogue. I need to go back and find it.
The Porkchop Express
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

TCTTS said:

On a smilier note, I heard someone on podcast today reference an article or interview saying that the reason the birth scenes are so visceral and exaggerated in their sounds/intensity is because, at least this early stage in the series, wombs are where and how the various battles are being fought. I thought that was a really cool way of looking at it.

That's all well and good for the first scene. But this one was just her face and disgusting unfitting sounds.

How should a woman look and sound when the baby is breach and she is in excruciating pain because she can't deliver it, knowing full well that this is a death sentence for her and her child?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Bregxit
AG

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

TCTTS said:

How should a woman look and sound when the baby is breach and she is in excruciating pain because she can't deliver it, knowing full well that this is a death sentence for her and her child?
Really? He is obviously talking about the ridiculous sound effects that are supposedly emanating from her vagina, not the actress' performance.
The Porkchop Express
I'll ask it again, what does it sound like when a baby is breach and a woman is trying to force it out to save her own life and the baby's?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG

I'll ask it again, what does it sound like when a baby is breach and a woman is trying to force it out to save her own life and the baby's?

No one is talking about that…all she did was scream
spence10
AG
This is a weird conversation.

They need to tone down the over the top birth scenes. Simple as that
TCTTS
AG
I agree with the first part.

But the show has at least said *why* the birth scenes aren't toned down. They're not going for accuracy. They're trying to do something more visceral and symbolic.
Bregxit
AG
TCTTS said:

I agree with the first part.

But the show has at least said *why* the birth scenes aren't toned down. They're not going for accuracy. They're trying to do something more visceral and symbolic.
That's nice...but a very large portion of the population has experienced actual births and I doubt any sounded like a xenomorph pushed through Kane's chest. All the squishing, slurping, splooshing sounds just don't happen. Even when that big ole sack of yummieness called a placenta comes rolling out you don't think, "Hey, who has a bowl of gack they're playing with?"
TCTTS
AG
A very large portion of the population has never seen a dragon either, yet we all seem to be able to suspend disbelief there.

Again, there's an artistic intention behind the birth scenes. It's a choice the filmmakers are actively making. They clearly don't give a sh*t what an actual, 21st century, non-fantasy-world birth sounds like.

I seriously can't believe this is a complaint/conversation we're having.
Bregxit
AG
TCTTS said:

A very large portion of the population has never seen a dragon either, yet we all seem to be able to suspend disbelief there.

Again, there's an artistic intention behind the birth scenes. It's a choice the filmmakers are actively making. They clearly don't give a sh*t what an actual, 21st century, non-fantasy-world birth sounds like.

I seriously can't believe this is a complaint/conversation we're having.
Whatever their intention was, it was dumb. My wife and I both looked at each other and laughed at how ridiculous it was. Both times!

Anyhow, I am only here because ole Fat Bib had no reading comprehension.
Phrasing
AG
This is a fictional world. I don't think anyone here has experienced birth in the ways it is in westeros. How many of y'all have rode a dragon? How does that sound? Let's ease up on the criticism of how things sound compared to life in 2022.

Also, I don't understand why people keep hating on Rynerea. I'm not sure what she has done yet to make so many people hate her. She was content early in life just to be herself. Then her dad pressured her to be queen. Then her uncle messed with her mind and she sought comfort with Cole. Then he went crazy and asked her to give up her right to the throne and she politely said no. Then Cole murdered the lover of her to be husband. Then she was forced to marry a gay man. Anyways. I don't know why she is the bad guy here.
PatAg
AG
Its an easy fix, you just hit the skip forward button, and you don't have to watch the scene.
Its not like they are going to have meaningful dialogue during it.
It's also not hard to understand why people would be put off by those scenes, just like its not hard to understand why others would like it.

I appreciate that they are attempting to draw a dialogue between 'the battlefields' but it doesn't resonate with me.
I don't personally really think it as a deep an allegorical choice as the writers do, and it feels a bit ham-fisted to me in presentation.
It's also not even remotely ruining the show in any way.
PatAg
AG
All good points, this show is very good at presenting both aspects of the main characters.
If anything all of this makes her character better, because even if you do dislike her, her character has a litany of reasons to do all the things she has done.
TCTTS
AG
Phrasing said:

Also, I don't understand why people keep hating on Rynerea. I'm not sure what she has done yet to make so many people hate her. She was content early in life just to be herself. Then her dad pressured her to be queen. Then her uncle messed with her mind and she sought confront with Cole. Then he went crazy and asked her to give up her right to the throne and she politely said no. Then Cole murdered the lover of her to be husband. Then she was forced to marry a gay man. Anyways. I don't know why she is the bad guy here.

"BeCAusE EMma dE FARTsy iS An LGBTQrSTuv SCUMbag whO dOEsn'T wEAr DReSSes iN reaL LiFE!!!!!!!!!!"

-cbr
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

Its an easy fix, you just hit the skip forward button, and you don't have to watch the scene.
It's also not hard to understand why people would be put off by those scenes, just like its not hard to understand why others would like it.

I appreciate that they are attempting to draw a dialogue between 'the battlefields' but it doesn't resonate with me.
I don't personally really think it as a deep an allegorical choice as the writers do, and it feels a bit ham-fisted to me in presentation.

I totally get being turned off by those scenes or not wanting to see them. To each his own. But in a fantasy TV series with magic and dragons, complaining that the birthing scenes aren't accurate to our modern, real world standards, when the filmmakers themselves have made it known why they're doing them the way they are, legit cracks me up.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

PatAg said:

I totally get being turned off by those scenes or not wanting to see them. To each his own. But in a fantasy TV series with magic and dragons, complaining that the birthing scenes aren't accurate to our modern, real world standards, when the filmmakers themselves have made it known why they're doing them the way they are, legit cracks me up.
Yep, it's a bit of an odd reason.
It's just part of a thing a lot of people do, where if they feel like they are an expert (or knowledgeable) on a subject they are incapable of giving a show/movie any slack on it.
You cant situationally choose where you suspend belief, you either do it or you don't.
OnlyForNow
AG
Did y'all know that during most vaginal births women poop on themselves?

Since this thread has devolved into talking about what is and isn't real regarding birthing… that's an important fact you should know.
Madmarttigan
AG
All I know is during Rhaenyras birth scene the sound editor needs to be given an award for making it sound as squelchy and horrible as it really is or needs to be fired for making it like that, I can't decide which.

Headphones not recommended for that.
The Porkchop Express
Dude, rise above it. When you perpetuate it just drags down the thread again.
BCG Disciple
AG
I like threads where a bunch of male fantasy nerds are discussing appropriate child birthing noises and facial expressions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.