*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

255,421 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by The Dog Lord
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The first teaser trailer dropped today. This show will follow "Dance of the Dragons" which is a segment of GRRM's book Fire & Blood. There is minimal dialogue that GRRM wrote for the "Dance of the Dragons" and reads like how a history textbook might speak about a major event, as it was written from the perspective of a Maester. Most of D&D's success with earlier seasons of GoT was from lifting dialogue and scenarios directly from the books' text. Unfortunately the showrunners for this show (Sapochnik and Condal) will be unable to use the book as much of a crutch.

It will be interesting to see how this goes given how quickly GoT has fallen out of the zeitgeist following their disastrous final season. I also have very little faith in Sapochnik and Condal given their most recent efforts.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Dirty Sock
No thanks. I'll wait a few years after it debuts until someone tells me it's really awesome.
rhutton125
AG
Perfect summary. I too will wait until either critics or friends are raving about it. But the last thing I want in that universe is more Targaryens, personally, since Dany ended up being one of the worst parts of that show.
exitone
AG
I'm ready for it.
Sure, I was disappointed with the GOT ending, but I need something to justify my HBO Max Subscription other than watching Titans and Tacoma FD again.
Slagathor
AG
Big fan of the books, and could not be more disappointed with the show. But D&D have nothing to do with this series, and GRRM has had input on it, so I am tentatively hopeful that it will be decent. Will definitely watch.
Jim01
AG
I'm in. Sure the last season of GOT was botched, but HBO rarely misses and usually learns from their mistakes, so I think this will be run better.
emando2000
AG
Outside of Aggie Football, I cannot think of anything that has captured my attention like GOT did week in and week out. (and we all know how football is going) I don't care how GOT ended. I didn't like it but even with the let down, I still watched this more than anything else.

Count me as ALL IN!!!
dc509
AG
Looks interesting. I plan on checking it out. I would have been a bit more interested in seeing the conquest of the Seven Kingdoms.
bobinator
AG
I'm not sure this is exactly the point of the GOT Universe's history I'm most interested in, but I'll definitely be giving it a shot.
Duncan Idaho
If they keep it focused with tight story telling, this could be awesome.

If they pull a lost/got approach and open up countless storylines and characters that they just forget about it will be a disappointing mess that quickly fades from memory.
The Dog Lord
AG
I agree that this isn't my first pick in terms of which story I'd like told next, but I'll definitely be watching. I really liked Fire & Blood part I, and they at least have the rough outline of the dynasty even though part II hasn't been released yet.

I'm more excited for the Tales of Dunk & Egg that is in early development.
M.C. Swag
AG
SgtBarbarossa
In. I have zero confidence in them to not mess it up, but I'm in.
i is smart
AG
Their CGI budget better be insane for this.
jenn96
AG
I'm in. Between the abortive last season and the books now clearly never going to be finished, this is the least I've cared about ASOIAF in 20 years, but I'll still watch it because I love the world. And who knows? It may be great.

I wish they would do the Long Night/Origin of the story of Winterfell. The history of the North interests me 1000x times more than the Targaryens do. But that doesn't seem likely. Of all the reasons I'm bummed about the books up and disappearing like a fart in the wind is that all of the intriguing backstory hints about the Starks, the Wall, the Others, etc won't ever be really explored. The show touched on it in Bran's visions of the Night King, but I would have loved to have read a longer, more detailed exploration.
dc509
AG
jenn96 said:

I'm in. Between the abortive last season and the books now clearly never going to be finished, this is the least I've cared about ASOIAF in 20 years, but I'll still watch it because I love the world. And who knows? It may be great.

I wish they would do the Long Night/Origin of the story of Winterfell. The history of the North interests me 1000x times more than the Targaryens do. But that doesn't seem likely. Of all the reasons I'm bummed about the books up and disappearing like a fart in the wind is that all of the intriguing backstory hints about the Starks, the Wall, the Others, etc won't ever be really explored. The show touched on it in Bran's visions of the Night King, but I would have loved to have read a longer, more detailed exploration.
I would like to know anything about the Night King. "The only war that matters…" got all of about one episode, and the Night King was rendered a brainless zombie with no real purpose. There's no way that is what GRRM intended for him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Night King was a D&D creation, not GRRM.

The books talk about the Night's King, which is another character altogether. That's the one that would be great to get a prequel series for. (The Stark ancestor.)
The Dog Lord
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The books talk about the Night's King, which is another character altogether. That's the one that would be great to get a prequel series for. (The Stark ancestor.)
To be fair, we don't know if the WW ever had or currently have a leader since they are barely featured. It would make sense for them to have some type of leader figure although it isn't a requirement. It's likely that we would get more info about them in the WoW, so I'm hoping it comes out even if we never get any other books after that. If we can get some decent backstory on them and some progression on the other storylines, I can live with us having to find out the rest from his notes.
powerbelly
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

No thanks. I'll wait a few years after it debuts until someone tells me it's really awesome.
dc509
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's right. I finished the most recent (and almost certainly last) book in 2011 so things have gotten a little hazy. There was something coming from the north though wasn't there? I don't remember it being a Stark ancestor though?
The Dog Lord
AG
The Night's Kind is said to have married a woman he glimpsed from atop the wall. They say she had "skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars" which seems to indicate he married an Other/WW.
dc509
AG
The Dog Lord said:

The Night's Kind is said to have married a woman he glimpsed from atop the wall. They say she had "skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars" which seems to indicate he married an Other/WW.
Well that sounds like it would have been interesting to read about.
boogieman
AG
Yeah, I'll have to check this out, but it will have a short leash.
Max Power
AG
It's based on Fire & Blood, which is enjoyable if you want to read a history book about the Targaryean family specifically, I liked it. There's a lot of source material they can pull from and make a really intriguing show, if they have the right show runner. Crazy family drama intertwined with dragon fights. I have to watch, regardless of how poorly GOT ended.
DTP02
AG
The Dog Lord said:

It didn't work out…

She was frigid.
jenn96
AG
dc509 said:

The Dog Lord said:

I agree. Personally I want a "Fire & Blood" type book about all of Old Nan's stories, the ones about the Watch and the Kings of Winter and the Long Night. I always assumed GRRM never fleshed out much about the Starks in the companion books (like World of Ice and Fire) because he was planning to bring it all out in the actual ASOIAF books, but that's obviously out the door now.

I just hope we get another Dunk and Egg story although I have no expectations of that either; he has been "working" on the last one for 10 years.

Roll the Bones
AG
Whoa, this ring from the trailer looks so much like one I made during the first couple of seasons of GOT. Cool!

The top of my ring is made from a couple of quarters and the band is silver with a flame cutout pattern.

West Point Aggie
AG
emando2000 said:

Outside of Aggie Football, I cannot think of anything that has captured my attention like GOT did week in and week out. (and we all know how football is going) I don't care how GOT ended. I didn't like it but even with the let down, I still watched this more than anything else.

Count me as ALL IN!!!

Also outside Aggie football has anything else disappointed as much as the last GOT season??
bluefire579
AG
jenn96 said:

dc509 said:

The Dog Lord said:

I agree. Personally I want a "Fire & Blood" type book about all of Old Nan's stories, the ones about the Watch and the Kings of Winter and the Long Night. I always assumed GRRM never fleshed out much about the Starks in the companion books (like World of Ice and Fire) because he was planning to bring it all out in the actual ASOIAF books, but that's obviously out the door now.

I just hope we get another Dunk and Egg story although I have no expectations of that either; he has been "working" on the last one for 10 years.

I mean, it's not Winds of Winter, so I bet we see it soon
jenn96
AG
bluefire579 said:

jenn96 said:

dc509 said:

The Dog Lord said:

Alas, he stopped working on Dunk and Egg stories to focus on finishing Winds of Winter. In 2013.
dc509
AG
jenn96 said:

bluefire579 said:

jenn96 said:

dc509 said:

The Dog Lord said:

Alas, he stopped working on Dunk and Egg stories to focus on finishing Winds of Winter. In 2013.
And now he has compromised and done neither.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

The fact that it is NOT D&D gives me hope.

aggierogue
AG

Lots of good nuggets in here from the teaser.

10 episodes; season premiere April or May.

Martin and screenwriter Ryan Condal, are co-creators.

Condal is also a co-showrunner and executive producer with Miguel Sapochnik, who directed some of GOT's most famous episodes (Battle of the *******s).

Popcorn ready.
AgfromHOU
AG
Doom Patrol. Thank me later.
tylercsbn9
AG
Slagathor said:

Big fan of the books, and could not be more disappointed with the show. But D&D have nothing to do with this series, and GRRM has had input on it, so I am tentatively hopeful that it will be decent. Will definitely watch.

This is my thought as well. I'll definitely give it a chance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.