*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

256,969 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Dog Lord
CondensedFogAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was also interesting how King Visery saw Alicents green dress and knew exactly what it meant. In fact, the entire Hightower contingent was dressed in green.

Pretty bold of them, but then again Oldtown is the richest city in Westeros.
tk for tu juan
They didn't need to put the ham fisted green dress explanation, it would have been obvious with just the nod she gave to the Hightower table and anyone paying attention to the house color/banner in the first episode. Both Alicent and Rhaenyra's dresses were hot.

Alicent is pissed because she has been laying under the sore covered King pumping out possible heirs, while Rhaenyra has been living the wild life she wishes she could have. Now her kids have no shot of becoming the heirs to the thrown with this new marriage, and her Dad got kicked out of the city.
tk for tu juan
JCRiley09 said:

Not exactly show related, but would anyone happen to know why my tv screen would randomly get absurdly dark during the wedding dinner scene? It's an LG C1 (OLED Dolby vision IQ) connected to an appletv 4k.
My LG C2 did the same thing but adjusted back when I paused the stream and then unpaused. Think it had to do with the Peak Brightness setting in the advanced picture setting menu. It adjusts the maximum brightness based on the brightest light in the scene. My setting was set to High, might try the scene again with it set to Off to see if it helps.
BCG Disciple
AG
They did a good job with Daemon's wife. In such a short time they made her seem like such and ugly woman that I was actually glad she died.
M.C. Swag
AG
what? What exactly made you "hate" her?
duck79
AG
Does the king have greyscale or is he just sick?
The Porkchop Express
M.C. Swag said:

Yeah, I had 100% the opposite reaction. Looked like a bad ass, beautiful in an athletic sort of way, Daemon probably disliked her because she was a warrior type like him and that's definitely not his jam.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

M.C. Swag said:

Yeah, I had 100% the opposite reaction. Looked like a bad ass, beautiful in an athletic sort of way, Daemon probably disliked her because she was a warrior type like him and that's definitely not his jam.

Agreed. I was like she's a badass.... and I can 100% see why she would despise Daemon.

It was just a poor match and going to end badly one way or another.

The Porkchop Express
I hadn't thought of it before the episode, but there's a lot of parallel in Criston Cole and Jamie Lannister - both are fantastic knights at a young age and think what they want most in the world is to be in the Kingsguard, only to realize it kinda sucks and drains the life out of you - Jamie seldom did anything but watch Aerys torture people in crazy ways and couldn't even bang his sister on the reg until after Robert's Rebellion; Criston literally didn't do anything but stand around until Rhaenyra got the horny vibe on him. Seems like Kingsguard would be a better gig when you're past 40 and you're bored of your wife, kids are grown, and you've fought in a zillion battles and made some bank.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
CoppellAg93
AG
duck79 said:

While watching, I was trying to figure out what was on his arm. Didn't know if it was an infection or some affliction, or if the maester had covered it with something to treat it.
redline248
AG
Viserys certainly doesn't deserve his fate, imo.
M.C. Swag
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

duck79 said:

While watching, I was trying to figure out what was on his arm. Didn't know if it was an infection or some affliction, or if the maester had covered it with something to treat it.

I assumed it was basically staph (or a version of it).
Stive
AG
Yeah I took it as infection of some sort coming from the cut fingers. They know about Grey-scale but they're not treating him like that's his issue.
PatAg
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Was also interesting how King Visery saw Alicents green dress and knew exactly what it meant. In fact, the entire Hightower contingent was dressed in green.

Pretty bold of them, but then again Oldtown is the richest city in Westeros.
Then again, green is Hightowers colors they wear...just like the Lannisters wearing Red and gold and other Houses have theirs.

Her wearing the all-green when she hadn't really worn green much at all, that I can recall at least, was the main point of the scene I felt.
CoachRTM
AG
Actor who plays the king mentioned that his character has leprosy... adding some more words here to not give anything away from the size of the spoiler
AgE2theBONE
AG
duck79 said:

He's just sick. If he had greyscale he'd have infected tons of people by now.
duck79
AG
Thank you. It caught me off guard when they showed him alive 10 years later in the preview. I just assumed that was the end of him in that episode.
The Porkchop Express
It's funny to think of the rulers of the 7 kingdom we've seen on screen (even briefly).

King Jahaerys - beloved by all
King Viserys - happy until the day his son/wife died, then largely miserable despite marrying a hot 20 year old.
King Aerys - bat **** crazy
King Robert - wanted to abdicate the throne 2 hours after he won it, and just wanted to hunt, f8ck and drink
King Joffrey - bat **** crazy
King Tommen - sweet and kind and killed himself as a result
Queen Cersei - bat **** crazy
Queen Daenrys - bat **** crazy
AgE2theBONE
AG

I hadn't thought of it before the episode, but there's a lot of parallel in Criston Cole and Jamie Lannister - both are fantastic knights at a young age and think what they want most in the world is to be in the Kingsguard, only to realize it kinda sucks and drains the life out of you - Jamie seldom did anything but watch Aerys torture people in crazy ways and couldn't even bang his sister on the reg until after Robert's Rebellion; Criston literally didn't do anything but stand around until Rhaenyra got the horny vibe on him. Seems like Kingsguard would be a better gig when you're past 40 and you're bored of your wife, kids are grown, and you've fought in a zillion battles and made some bank.

Jaime never wanted to be in the Kingsguard. Aerys did that to screw with Tywin. He did choose to remain in the Kingsguard many years later, after returning from his captivity, so he could be near Cersei but he was heir to Casterly Rock and would never have aspired to the Kingsguard with all their vows and sacrifices.

Cole was a commoner son of a steward, and it's definitely an honor he holds dear, but he was willing to leave it behind after falling in love with Rhaenyra. Then he realized he'd sacrificed his honor just to be her plaything, which hurt.

Then Ser Joffrey unwittingly rubs his nose in the fact that he's a common ***** now and he snapped.

I'm with you. Nothing about that life looks attractive to me. Spending most of my time standing outside someone's door would drive me to suicide over nothing more than boredom.
The Porkchop Express
AgE2theBONE said:

Jaime never wanted to be in the Kingsguard. Aerys did that to screw with Tywin. He did choose to remain in the Kingsguard many years later, after returning from his captivity, so he could be near Cersei but he was heir to Casterly Rock and would never have aspired to the Kingsguard with all their vows and sacrifices.

This is what it says on asoiaf.westeros.org

Now a knight, Jaime was to return to Casterly Rock. He decided to stop in King's Landing on route, to visit his sister, from whom he had been separated for years. There, Cersei informed him that their father, Lord Tywin Lannister, intended to betroth him to Lysa Tully, and had gone as far as inviting Lord Hoster to King's Landing, to discuss the dower. Cersei suggested that Jaime become a member of the Kingsguard instead, replacing the recently-deceased Ser Harlan Grandison. Though this would require Jaime to give up his claim to Casterly Rock and his position as Tywin's heir, it would allow him to be close to Cersei and free himself of the unwanted marriage to Lysa. After a night of passionate sex, he gave his consent to Cersei's plan. While the siblings expected Tywin to oppose it, Cersei claimed he could not openly object. She promised to do the rest, and a month later, Jaime received news at Casterly Rock that he had been chosen for the Kingsguard, and was to present himself to the king during the grand tourney at Harrenhal, where he would say his vows and don his cloak.[url=https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jaime_Lannister#cite_note-Rasos11.7B.7B.7B3.7D.7D.7D-17][17][/url] Jaime's and Cersei's plan did not entirely work as expected. Their father, furious about the king's decision, pleaded illness and resigned his position as Hand of the King. He returned to Casterly Rock, taking Cersei with him, which separated the siblings once more.[url=https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jaime_Lannister#cite_note-Rtwoiafthe_targaryen_kings:_aerys_ii.7B.7B.7B3.7D.7D.7D-6][6][/url][url=https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jaime_Lannister#cite_note-Rasos11.7B.7B.7B3.7D.7D.7D-17][17][/url]
AgE2theBONE
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Also, why exactly is Alicent pissed? Rhaeny truthfully told her she didn't screw Daemon. Granted she left out the Cole part, but I'm sure she'd understand her desire to keep that secret.

Alicent's pissed for many reasons.

She's unhappy in her life but places her duty before her selfishness, but envies Rhaenyra's freedom.

Rhaenyra manipulated the hell out of her about what happened. True, she didn't screw Daemon but he absolutely did "touch" her, they were disrobed in a brothel and would've got it on if he hadn't malfunctioned, and while trying to convince Alicent that she's still a maid she totally omits what happened with Ser Criston.

One of the results of this is that Alicent takes Rhaenyra's side with Viserys, which means she unintentionally played a part in getting her father stripped of his Handship and ejected from King's Landing.

Finally, she knows that Rhaenyra is manipulative and promiscuous and vindictive, and realizes what her father told her was true, that the lives of her children will be in serious jeopardy when Rhaenyra ascends the throne.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Apologies if already discussed, but why does Daemon have the only dragon that looks like a completely different animal than everyone else's?
AgE2theBONE
AG

AgE2theBONE said:

This is what it says on asoiaf.westeros.org

Now a knight, Jaime was to return to Casterly Rock. He decided to stop in King's Landing on route, to visit his sister, from whom he had been separated for years. There, Cersei informed him that their father, Lord Tywin Lannister, intended to betroth him to Lysa Tully, and had gone as far as inviting Lord Hoster to King's Landing, to discuss the dower. Cersei suggested that Jaime become a member of the Kingsguard instead, replacing the recently-deceased Ser Harlan Grandison. Though this would require Jaime to give up his claim to Casterly Rock and his position as Tywin's heir, it would allow him to be close to Cersei and free himself of the unwanted marriage to Lysa. After a night of passionate sex, he gave his consent to Cersei's plan. While the siblings expected Tywin to oppose it, Cersei claimed he could not openly object. She promised to do the rest, and a month later, Jaime received news at Casterly Rock that he had been chosen for the Kingsguard, and was to present himself to the king during the grand tourney at Harrenhal, where he would say his vows and don his cloak.[url=https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jaime_Lannister#cite_note-Rasos11.7B.7B.7B3.7D.7D.7D-17][17][/url] Jaime's and Cersei's plan did not entirely work as expected. Their father, furious about the king's decision, pleaded illness and resigned his position as Hand of the King. He returned to Casterly Rock, taking Cersei with him, which separated the siblings once more.[url=https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jaime_Lannister#cite_note-Rtwoiafthe_targaryen_kings:_aerys_ii.7B.7B.7B3.7D.7D.7D-6][6][/url][url=https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jaime_Lannister#cite_note-Rasos11.7B.7B.7B3.7D.7D.7D-17][17][/url]

Thanks. I do stand somewhat corrected.

I just meant that being in the Kingsguard was never something Jaime wanted in and of itself. It was just a means to an end for him, to be close to Cersei.
DallasTeleAg
I'm definitely siding with Alicent in all of this. Not to mention, her older character is hotter.
Thunder18
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Apologies if already discussed, but why does Daemon have the only dragon that looks like a completely different animal than everyone else's?

Apparently his dragon Caraxes is malformed
BenFiasco14
AG
I'm kinda pissed about the time jump and changing actors for certain characters but not others.

First of all - was this first 5 weeks of episodes worth all the time then? I guess it was to give us background info but why spend all that time (and fans dissect everything and discuss after) to do this if we're just going to jump ahead TEN YEARS???!

A **** ton can happen in ten years. People can change into completely different people. So why did we spend all this time getting to know these players in one time period just to jump 10 - and with all the **** that has gone down in the first 5 episodes we're supposed to just happily assume there was 10 boring years of no conflicts, no betrayals, no shake up in power. Just 10 years of status quo?

Changing the actors is distracting as well. Why does R and A need new actors but Daemon, Viserys, the Hand, etc don't? Seems like it's gonna be a bit distracting. I really liked the two original actresses.

I guess it'll all make sense when it happens. Hopefully
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
redline248
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

I don't know the why, but it's a different breed of dragon, or something.
Thunder18
AG
Just want to say how stupid they made Ser Criston's character this episode. Thinking he could convince the heir to the Iron Throne to give up her claim and run away with him just because they banged, and then brutally murdering a guest at her wedding celebration in full view of the entire party with no explanation demanded by the King or by Laenor and the Velaryons
Stive
AG
That last 15 minutes flew by and crammed in about 20 different things (it seemed).

So why did they go ahead and move up the nuptials to immediately after the big party? Weren't they going to wait a week?

Who was the guy that went into the crowd and fished out Rhaenyra? Had we seen him before?

Why did Daemon make a move on little sister? (Or are we supposed to know that yet?)

It seemed like the big blow up with Cole smashing the guy happened at roughly the exact same time as Daemon pushing Rhaenyra's buttons on the dance floor and her challenging him. Did that have anything to do with Cole losing it?

The Porkchop Express
AgE2theBONE said:

Thanks. I do stand somewhat corrected.

I just meant that being in the Kingsguard was never something Jaime wanted in and of itself. It was just a means to an end for him, to be close to Cersei.
I definitely agree with that. I think in a Tyrion chapter in ACOK, when he goes into battle he thinks about Jamie saying that he only felt alive when fighting.
Thunder18
AG
Stive said:

That last 15 minutes flew by and crammed in about 20 different things (it seemed).

So why did they go ahead and move up the nuptials to immediately after the big party? Weren't they going to wait a week?

Who was the guy that went into the crowd and fished out Rhaenyra? Had we seen him before?

Why did Daemon make a move on little sister? (Or are we supposed to know that yet?)

It seemed like the big blow up with Cole smashing the guy happened at roughly the exact same time as Daemon pushing Rhaenyra's buttons on the dance floor and her challenging him. Did that have anything to do with Cole losing it?

One of the Lord Strong's (the new Hand) sons. His other son is the cripple that planted the seed of doubt in Alicent's head about Rhaenyra's chastity
BCG Disciple
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Did you hear what she said and how she welcomed her soon to be husband? Scene set up showed it to essentially be unprovoked. An offer to consummate a marriage to her sheep? Then dug in with the king choosing a girl over him, which is arguably one of the biggest family betrayals in Daemon's mind. To top it off, the bike, hate filled tone. A noble and proud dragon riding war hero, arguably the most accomplished in the 7 kingdoms at this point, belittled for simply showing up and doing his duty.

Not sure if you've ever seen the Bill Burr bit on it never hitting a woman, but I was getting fired up watching Daemon be emasculated in front of his soon to be wife.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Do they ever say why Cole wasn't immediatley arrested? He straight up murdered a lord that was a part of the inner circle of the groom. In a room with a hundred witnesses no less. Surprised his boyfriend didn't call for his execution on the spot.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tk for tu juan
Thunder18 said:

Stive said:

One of the Lord Strong's (the new Hand) sons. His other son is the cripple that planted the seed of doubt in Alicent's head about Rhaenyra's chastity
It was Harwin Strong
boy09
AG
BCG Disciple said:

M.C. Swag said:

Did you hear what she said and how she welcomed her soon to be husband? Scene set up showed it to essentially be unprovoked. An offer to consummate a marriage to her sheep? Then dug in with the king choosing a girl over him, which is arguably one of the biggest family betrayals in Daemon's mind. To top it off, the bike, hate filled tone. A noble and proud dragon riding war hero, arguably the most accomplished in the 7 kingdoms at this point, belittled for simply showing up and doing his duty.

Not sure if you've ever seen the Bill Burr bit on it never hitting a woman, but I was getting fired up watching Daemon be emasculated in front of his soon to be wife.
They've been married for a while, and he's been gone pretty much the whole time they've been married. She has no reason to show him any respect.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.