*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

275,950 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Oh wow, come to think of it, I don't think we do. Google just shows me promo images of him on the Iron Throne.

From what I recall, almost as soon as they get to KL, he goes on the boar hunt and gets injured, so we never even see him in the throne room.
Yeah, isn't that weird? He's in WInterfell, then the whole thing with Joffrey/Arya/Sansa takes place on the road at their camp. When they get to KL you don't see him except at the tournament, in his chambers with Cersei, at the one small council meeting when Ned resigns after he wants to kill Dany, and then when he gets gored.

Not sure about the book, but IIRC it's always Ned on the throne.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Eso si, Que es
We saw Tywin bleed out on the throne, but I digress
Sex Panther
AG
Hmmm...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/house-of-the-dragon-miguel-sapochnik-leaving-1235208276/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What a bizarre time to leave, much less announce this, on the heels of massive ratings success and a season 2 announcement.
PatAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

Hmmm...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/house-of-the-dragon-miguel-sapochnik-leaving-1235208276/
That is ominous
Goose06
AG
I'm not sure if this should be considered a spoiler or not so please spoiler tag your response, but does anyone know what year this series is expected to end? Like do we expect it to run up until Roberts rebellion or will the 3 seasons not get us that far?
OnlyForNow
AG
Right now I think this season will end with the culmination of what us book readers know is coming the end of the war of the Targ family - next weeks preview already showed us Aegon (Allicent's kid) so all we need now is for Rheaney to marry Coryls's boy and spit out two males and then the fun starts.

We will also see the war of the stepstones with lots of dragon fighting. I imagine we see the she-dragon that went into hiding as well.
canadiaggie
AG
Sounds like Sapochnik burned out in that article, nothing super malicious. Happens to the best of us.
canadiaggie
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Right now I think this season will end with the culmination of what us book readers know is coming the end of the war of the Targ family - next weeks preview already showed us Aegon (Allicent's kid) so all we need now is for Rheaney to marry Coryls's boy and spit out two males and then the fun starts.

We will also see the war of the stepstones with lots of dragon fighting. I imagine we see the she-dragon that went into hiding as well.
Someone theorized that the end of the season will be

"Possible Episode 9 or 10 spoiler": Aemond killing Lucerys
The Dog Lord
AG
canadiaggie said:

Sounds like Sapochnik burned out in that article, nothing super malicious. Happens to the best of us.

Yeah that's definitely the vibe I got too. What's worse from the article is we likely don't get season 2 until 2024 if the production follows a similar schedule to season 1.
EABC_AG
Any chance one of the other spin-offs could be ready next year to avoid a 2 year gap?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Coincidentally I was just seeing a video on YouTube saying that the Jon Snow spinoff is pretty far into development at HBO. And currently labeled a limited series.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that hit before HotD S2.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Probably a dumb question but why was Rhaenyra so upset when the king announced he would marry Alicent? They had just talked about it and she gave him a nod of approval right before he announced it. I'm assuming she didn't know it was going to be her friend and felt betrayed by both her dad and her friend (bc she looked at Alicent and realized she was hoping it would be her and realized she had been plotting this)?

Didn't she know who the options were ahead of time? So why was it a complete shock and why did it upset her that much? Is it as simple as I posted above?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Because she thought it was going to be Corlys' daughter. From what the show has told us, she has no idea Alicent had even been talking with her father, much less that she was a top contender for his new wife.

It's a betrayal of trust.
jenn96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Because she thought it was going to be Corlys' daughter. From what the show has told us, she has no idea Alicent had even been talking with her father, much less that she was a top contender for his new wife.

This. The fact that her father and best friend had been hiding their relationship from her was the betrayal, not the fact that he planned to marry.

And as a political strategist, she probably recognizes that it's a terrible match that only strengthens the Hightowers at the expense of the throne and deeply alienates Corlys. But her shock was in finding out the friend that she confided her fears and hopes of succession to had stabbed her in the back.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Thanks to you both. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
LB12Diamond
AG
jenn96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

This. The fact that her father and best friend had been hiding their relationship from her was the betrayal, not the fact that he planned to marry.

And as a political strategist, she probably recognizes that it's a terrible match that only strengthens the Hightowers at the expense of the throne and deeply alienates Corlys. But her shock was in finding out the friend that she confided her fears and hopes of succession to had stabbed her in the back.

Yes, she thought it was clearly her cousin he was going to announce. No reason to think it would be anyone else. Because that is the order of things.

And the main reason he was supposed to be doing it was to strengthen their position. Not just have a male heir.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CondensedFogAggie
jenn96 said:

I honestly thought if he decided to wed the Velaryon girl, he would get assassinated immediately by Corlys, who would take power with his wife.

The Velaryons may have half the fleet, but no dragons, and the Hightowers are what, the second most powerful and richest house with a history going back a thousand years? I can see how the King would think it made sense.
CondensedFogAggie
Definitely Not A Cop said:

The girlfriend made a joke last night about the big enemy so far being Crab People.

The song actually sounds like it could be in Westeros

Maybe they'll do a better job than the last bad guys.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Let's go!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wasn't this guy in GoT? This is just gonna confuse people.
spence10
AG
Another great episode. Will never get tired of dragons going HAM on people
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good episode, great final battle.

Who was riding the dragon? The Velaryon son?
spence10
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

For a second I thought it was the one Asian dude but could be wrong
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My first thought was Ser Cristin but unless I misinterpreted what happened, they finally attacked because Daemon wanted to end the war without the help of his brother.
Lathspell
AG
I thought that final fight was stupid. Focused solely on a spectacle without any real meaning behind it.

Is this based on a book? Is this what happened in the book?

I'm to believe this guy has been fighting off both of these forces for years, and then was goaded into sending his entire army out to kill one guy? Not only that, but this army trickles out first, one by one, then finally all comes out and just slowly walks towards Daemon?

If that was written by George RR Martin, then it was poorly written. Based on the battles we saw in GoT that were actually adapted from his writings, I'm thinking it wasn't.
Lathspell
AG
Also... they have all just been cowering in these caves?

Then light massive bonfires at the entrances and use the wings of your giant dragons to fan smoke deep into the cave system to suffocate them. Or, i'm sure there are better strategies, but that just came to my mind immediately.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It was a reverse Battle of the *******s.
Quad Dog
AG
Crabfeeder got some Storm Troopers as archers.

The king was missing two fingers from the infection.
The Dog Lord
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yes, the son (Laenor Velaryon).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If it wasn't clear before that Otto is a scheming POS, here he is pimping out his 2 year old grandson to his own father and half sister.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was he? I specifically looked and it looked like they were all there. Must have missed it if so.
WES2006AG
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Was he? I specifically looked and it looked like they were all there. Must have missed it if so.
They showed it when he was talking to Alicent later in the episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Daemon didn't speak all episode.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.