*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

256,960 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Dog Lord
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can age her face but not her body. The new one and least has a woman's body that's had some children.
PatAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

And again, would appreciate if book readers didn't throw in discussion points even if we are way off what happens in the book.
I can't wait to see you guys' reactions when all of the dragons start talking.
This scene from episode 6 leaked

combat wombat™
AG
OMG. Dennis Quaid and Sean Connery must want every copy of that burned.
redline248
AG
I love that movie
The Porkchop Express
combat wombat said:

OMG. Dennis Quaid and Sean Connery must want every copy of that burned.
Feel like Sean Connery might have gone to his grave without ever seeing this one.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
plowboy1065
S
I pray to the Old Gods & the New that we do not see this non-binary person without clothes on
bluefire579
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Curious what peoples overall reaction is thus far?

Mine:
Show is still good and better than most of what is available. But it is not prime GoT good.

The king is not an interesting character. Daemon and Rhaeryra are intriguing for sure, But compare them to the cast of Lannisters and Snows from early GoT and then the whole Daenerys wandering in dessrt hatchig dragons its not even close.

There has not been a major plot shocker or a vile villain. We had the crab feeder but that seemed like a rejected Marvel character or a Rick & Morty spoof from interdimensional cable.

Again, I like the show, I don't love it. Its the Better Call Saul version compared to Breaking Bad,
I mean, you're comparing half a season, where really the pieces are just getting put into place, with the entire run of the original show. Hell, if you look at GoT, the highest rated episodes are mostly in the 3rd and 4th seasons, with a handful of outliers. The first season was much the same, a lot of establishing characters, motivations, alliances, etc.
Aggie87
AG
I suspect part of the decision to use an older actress moving forward after the time jump will allow for more appropriate aging in future seasons. Milly Alcock won't look like a 40 year old woman, and it's possible that Emma D'Arcy will be easier to age into an older version of Rhaenyra.

I think it's a bigger picture decision than just the next couple of episodes.
Aggie87
AG
Did anyone else think Viserys was being poisoned during the feast? They kept cutting away to him continuing to eat, while everything else was beginning to happen. I thought that was foreshadowing something.
KidDoc
AG
Aggie87 said:

Did anyone else think Viserys was being poisoned during the feast? They kept cutting away to him continuing to eat, while everything else was beginning to happen. I thought that was foreshadowing something.
I think he had bacterial sepsis from his cuts on the throne and classic poor medical care from maesters leading to his death. They showed how he was not doing well health wise the last few episodes. Note that he always had gloves on due to his non healing sores and cuts.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie87
AG
KidDoc said:

Aggie87 said:

I think he had bacterial sepsis from his cuts on the throne and classic poor medical care from maesters leading to his death. They showed how he was not doing well health wise the last few episodes. Note that he always had gloves on due to his non healing sores and cuts.

While I agree with that, and it would explain the use of leeches and so forth, I still thought it was strange to give so much screen time to his devouring his meal. Your explanation wouldn't explain why they emphasized that.
cbr
AG
Jesus christ that second *****!

tk for tu juan
Why has Viserys not ridden a dragon after Balerion?
deer corn
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean no non book reader would have gotten the green dress without that dialogue.

If that was the reason, why was the King also wearing green and green Targ banners hanging? I get the symbolism and duologue, but why not have everything Targ in red or black. Seemed silly.
mazzag
AG
Aggie87 said:

No I didn't think this. I think the look on his wife's face while he ate made it clear.

About the wedding that same evening…after the brutal ending, who wants a week of feasts and tournaments. Also keeps Daemon's paws off his daughter.
deer corn
Stive said:

Why did Daemon make a move on little sister? (Or are we supposed to know that yet?)

I'm guessing he and Corlys still have a plan for Daemon to be king and their houses united by him taking the daughter.
redline248
AG
Aggie87 said:

KidDoc said:

Aggie87 said:

While I agree with that, and it would explain the use of leeches and so forth, I still thought it was strange to give so much screen time to his devouring his meal. Your explanation wouldn't explain why they emphasized that.
I think they were just showing him being agitated but not knowing what to do except eat...also showing Alicent becoming increasingly disgusted by him. He was not a pretty eater
PatAg
AG
redline248 said:

Aggie87 said:

KidDoc said:

Aggie87 said:

I think they were just showing him being agitated but not knowing what to do except eat...also showing Alicent becoming increasingly disgusted by him. He was not a pretty eater
It also helped increase the tension in the scene, to the point where you suspected anyone was fair game in the scene.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Aggie87 said:

I suspect part of the decision to use an older actress moving forward after the time jump will allow for more appropriate aging in future seasons. Milly Alcock won't look like a 40 year old woman, and it's possible that Emma D'Arcy will be easier to age into an older version of Rhaenyra.

I believe someone said the older actress was picked first which makes sense if you plan to have a 3-4 season run...then they just found a similar looking younger actress for the first few episodes
Ol Jock 99
AG
The choice of actresses proves that even as Hollywood gets more woke, some things stay the same. They don't care for women over 35 at all.

"Princess Rhaenyra is now middle aged. We must hire someone significantly older. Maybe, a 29 year old instead of a 21 year old."
Phrasing
AG
Aggie87 said:

This makes total sense. I'm not a book reader, so I don't know how old Rhaenyra gets in this story but just assuming she gets to be 40-50 years old (may not happen - who knows), but that would be tough to pull off with Milly. Going to miss her for sure though - thought she did a great job. Will have faith that the show runners knew what they were doing when they hired them both.
KidDoc
AG
I get the anti-woke sentiment of some posters when the show just pushes a gay character for no discernable reason but that was not the case with this show. The fact that he has a gay lover is central to the plot. In fact, I would think the gay community would be very unhappy with the GoT runners because the two bisexual men in the world both died horrible deaths and were only around briefly.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ol Jock 99
AG
They are definitely taking some twitter heat for it.
BCG Disciple
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The choice of actresses proves that even as Hollywood gets more woke, some things stay the same. They don't care for women over 35 at all.

"Princess Rhaenyra is now middle aged. We most hire someone significantly older. Maybe, a 29 year old instead of a 21 year old."
Nice. New found respect for original show runners hiring a 40 year old Lena Headey and doing what they did with her, specifically the walk of shame.
Ol Jock 99
AG
No doubt.
bluefire579
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

"Princess Rhaenyra is now middle aged. We most hire someone significantly older. Maybe, a 29 year old instead of a 21 year old."
She was a teenager for the first several episodes (they might have aged her a few years, but she's only 15 in the books when this is happening), and they clearly chose an actress who looks like a teen even as a 20-something (same thing as Tom Holland playing a teen spider-man for the past 8 years). The next one is 10 years later, so the character would be late 20s, and it would take a lot of work to make Milly look like she's approaching 30, probably a lot more work than to just cast someone else who actually looks that age.
Icecream_Ag
S
BCG Disciple said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Nice. New found respect for original show runners hiring a 40 year old Lena Headey and doing what they did with her, specifically the walk of shame.
if only that was her doing the walk. Iirc she was pretty heavily pregnant irl so she used a body double for that scene
boy09
AG
Phrasing said:

Aggie87 said:

This makes total sense. I'm not a book reader, so I don't know how old Rhaenyra gets in this story but just assuming she gets to be 40-50 years old (may not happen - who knows), but that would be tough to pull off with Milly. Going to miss her for sure though - thought she did a great job. Will have faith that the show runners knew what they were doing when they hired them both.
It just would have been nice if the show runners had double-checked with all the insufferable dorks on the internet to make sure the actress they chose was hot enough...
Icecream_Ag
S
bluefire579 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

She was a teenager for the first several episodes (they might have aged her a few years, but she's only 15 in the books when this is happening), and they clearly chose an actress who looks like a teen even as a 20-something (same thing as Tom Holland playing a teen spider-man for the past 8 years). The next one is 10 years later, so the character would be late 20s, and it would take a lot of work to make Milly look like she's approaching 30, probably a lot more work than to just cast someone else who actually looks that age.
iirc the first 5 episodes cover about 7 years of time line, but they do as bad of a job as GoT did with showing time passing
PatAg
AG

These are probably more fair comparisons, because a lot of actors/actresses look way different in their personal lives.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Yes it is clear who she is in the show. They found a good likeness for the younger version of the character, not the actress. If that makes sense.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

BCG Disciple said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

if only that was her doing the walk. Iirc she was pretty heavily pregnant irl so she used a body double for that scene

don't ruin it for me.

jk
The Porkchop Express
Icecream_Ag said:

bluefire579 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

iirc the first 5 episodes cover about 7 years of time line, but they do as bad of a job as GoT did with showing time passing
Not as bad as in the Last Kingdom where Uhtred never ages but his kids go from 2 years old to 15 to 22 in 3 seasons!

Season 3

Season 5
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Icecream_Ag
S
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Icecream_Ag said:

BCG Disciple said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

don't ruin it for me.

jk
wait till I tell you about....
The Porkchop Express
Icecream_Ag said:

she used a body double for that scene

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.