*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

258,284 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You could say Larys...took Viserys' Strong hand.

tk for tu juan
Viserys next episode

PatAg
AG
The shot where there was a transition from Daemon on his dragon, and then it transition to just a much larger dragon and there was this massive low pitch sound.
It felt like we were transitioning from a fighter jet to some sort of massive airship, was a cool shot.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I know someone else mentioned it the other day but the opening birthing scene the sound engineer needs to e fired and sent back to work on the next Species movie coming out.

I've been in two births and neither sounded like a greased up alien being forced through an oversized rubber balloon
canadiaggie
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I know someone else mentioned it the other day but the opening birthing scene the sound engineer needs to e fired and sent back to work on the next Species movie coming out.

I've been in two births and neither sounded like a greased up alien being forced through an oversized rubber balloon

My fiancee used to work in labor and delivery and said similar lol.
PatAg
AG
I actually just fast forwarded through those scenes, and I think I'm going to from here on out.
You don't gain anything from watching someone pretend to have a baby for the millionth time, and you definitely dont miss anything relevant to the plot.
BowSowy
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

There was a lot of splattering that I never heard during my daughter's birth. It was nasty.
cbr
AG
PatAg said:

I actually just fast forwarded through those scenes, and I think I'm going to from here on out.
You don't gain anything from watching someone pretend to have a baby for the millionth time, and you definitely dont miss anything relevant to the plot.
lol i actually did....
G Martin 87
AG
I actually would prefer less pain and suffering on screen with my "entertainment" as I get older these days, The news is graphic enough.
WES2006AG
AG
G Martin 87 said:

I actually would prefer less pain and suffering on screen with my "entertainment" as I get older these days, The news is graphic enough.
GoT may not be for you then.
canadiaggie
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Username does NOT check out.

You ain't foolin' anyone, GRRM.
canadiaggie
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Viserys next episode

In all seriousness I don't think there's a massive time jump, enough for Viserys to lose more body parts. The next week preview showed a funeral (Laena's?) so maybe a few months jump at most?
Latrobe
AG
Thinking of jumping in on this show......

Do I need to watch GOT prior, or will this work as a stand alone? (yeah, yeah.....haven't seen Breaking Bad either)
easttexasaggie04
AG
I think you could probably watch it without watching GOT.
M.C. Swag
AG
Dude, go watch Game of Thrones and then Hot D will be waiting.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Latrobe said:

Thinking of jumping in on this show......

Do I need to watch GOT prior, or will this work as a stand alone? (yeah, yeah.....haven't seen Breaking Bad either)

You should watch this and Better Call Saul instead of GOT and BB.

What a weird worldview someone would have only seeing the prequels.

Oh if you never watched any Star Wars then also add Star Wars Ep. I II and III and Rogue One but skip the others.

G Martin 87
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Dude, go watch Game of Thrones and then Hot D will be waiting.
I would recommend skipping a few scenes if you don't want this show ruined.

My wife is currently rewatching GOT just for entertainment and I will occasionally sit in and watch. Well sure enough she was on the episode where Danny purchases the Unsullied so I wanted to rewatch it...sure enough that's also the episode where sniveling little punk Geoffrey explains the plot line of this show!!!!! I was so freaking pissed.

I believe there is also a scene where Stanis' daughter explains that she is reading the history books and they explain what happens in this show but I didn't see that episode.
cbr
AG
honestly i think watching this show would not be the best way to start

1) it is just not as entertaining or well acted as GOT was for the most part, nor is the story as compellig (at least so far, you can see things are building up)

2) there really arent any lasting protagonists here - you start to like princess r, then you dont at all; there is some sympathy for the king, but not enough......

3) the way they brought the dragons up and along in GOT was freaking epic; the visuals are not nearly as good in this show, and they cheapen the whole effect IMO

i would say definietly watch GOT first... and frankly, just make it through season 1... i really didnt care for it all that much until season 2...
Madmarttigan
AG
Perhaps this will be the opposite of GoT and the story will be lame for a while and lead up to a fantastic and really climactic epic finale.

The show is really really well done but all the time jumping and political setup makes it very difficult to be invested in these characters.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Enjoying it but there is definitely a medieval soap opera quality to it so far
cbr
AG

question - is there any character in this series yet that stands up to any of a huge list of GOT characters?

I was in on princess r until the last 2 episodes, and she just turned to *****

other than that, i actually dont see any character in this series holding up to the top 40 or 50 or so from GOT.

the king is pretty well acted, and is playin the role of the embattled-bitter-pretty-much-gave-up-old-fool now... so maybe him. but no one else at all.

i copied the notable characters from GOT that i either liked or hated enough to appreciate:

Jorah mormont
Lord varys
Sam tarly
Sandor Clegane
Tywin Lannister
Bronn
Lady olenna
Tormund giantsbane
Jon snow
Danarys targaryen
Lyanna Mormont
Oberyn martell
Tyrion Lannister
Cersei lannister
Arya stark
Littlefinger
Maester aimon
Hot pie
Mance raider
Osha
Hodor
Khal drogo
High sparrow
Jaqen hagar
Ramsay bolton
Davos
Margaery Tyrell

Ned stark
Jaime Lannister
Brienne of tarth
theon
Melisandre
Bran
Geoffrey

when you read that list and then think about this show.... man, that's why GOT was a big hit and released first. Those characters were just fantastic. (yes, i was not a fan of a couple of the season 8 episodes either, but you can still watch and enjoy up until then).

i just dont see anyone here comparing to that list very well.

thoughts?

PatAg
AG
I don't really see any of the negatives that are being brought up lately.
HossAg
AG
PatAg said:

I feel like people are forgetting that we've seen only 6 episodes. I'm pretty sure our character list through 6 episodes of GOT S1 was pretty comparable.

I'm personally a little disappointed in the time jump this early, as I felt like at least a full season with the original cast would have been better. I think we'll warm up to the new cast pretty quickly, though. I thoroughly enjoy every episode regardless of the time jump.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Lol, that was ****ing terrible. The entire scene all I could think was, has anyone involved with the sound engineering of that scene ever been part of a delivery?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cbr
AG
HossAg said:

PatAg said:

I feel like people are forgetting that we've seen only 6 episodes. I'm pretty sure our character list through 6 episodes of GOT S1 was pretty comparable.

I'm personally a little disappointed in the time jump this early, as I felt like at least a full season with the original cast would have been better. I think we'll warm up to the new cast pretty quickly, though. I thoroughly enjoy every episode regardless of the time jump.
that is certainly true, and fair.....i thought about that... but i felt like within 6 episodes each most of the GOT characters already had pretty strong/memorable play...
HossAg
AG
cbr said:

HossAg said:

PatAg said:

that is certainly true, and fair.....i thought about that... but i felt like within 6 episodes each most of the GOT characters already had pretty strong/memorable play...
We've had some pretty memorable stuff here with Rhaenyra (however tf that's spelled) and Daemon already.
Proc92
I am watching and enjoying it. But it does seem a little small in scope and without some existential external threat of super villain and seemingly solely focused on a power struggle between unlikeable female led factions of unlikeable kids, it is hard to get as engrossed as with got. But I never read any of the books, so I have no idea of what to expect, other than what has been shown so far.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
I definitely feel like GoT had much better characters. Whether it was good feelings or bad feelings, I felt something for the GoT characters. I cared about what happened to them. There were characters I was rooting for and characters I was rooting against. They felt realer and more fleshed out.

So far in this show, they haven't made me care about any these characters. I'm not rooting for or against any of them. Just kind of watching and waiting to see what happens.

Daemon might be the only one where there is at least a small bit of something, maybe a little depth there.
HossAg
AG
I think a lot of that is the rapid time jumps and characters having personality changes that we didn't see develop over a long stretch of time. Hopefully it'll become easier to be invested in characters now that we're past the huge jump.
combat wombat™
AG
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, absolutely no.

The got the bleeding right, though.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
cbr said:

HossAg said:

PatAg said:

You do realize that you are the same person who said:

Quote:

I would say definitely watch GOT first... and frankly, just make it through season 1... I really didn't care for it all that much until season 2...

Like 4 posts above your post...how can you claim this show isn't doing enough and the characters aren't good enough and you expect more in 6 episodes but yet tell someone to "Just get through season 1"
cbr
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

cbr said:

HossAg said:

PatAg said:

You do realize that you are the same person who said:

Quote:

I would say definitely watch GOT first... and frankly, just make it through season 1... I really didn't care for it all that much until season 2...

Like 4 posts above your post...how can you claim this show isn't doing enough and the characters aren't good enough and you expect more in 6 episodes but yet tell someone to "Just get through season 1"
i can see why you would think they are inconsistent, and i thought about that, but i dont think they really are. i didnt list robert baratheon, sansa stark, barely listed ned, etc., as characters i thought were that good. that was really the focus of season 1.

plus, GOT was introducing us to what, a hundred characters in 7 kingdoms at once? This is really about 1/4 of that, so 6 episodes here is digging about as deep as 20+ in GOT into each character.
deer corn
Quad Dog said:

Also, creating a secret assassin squad with a unique identifying trait (cut off tongue) and giving them all matching bug pins that matches the symbol on your cane doesn't seem like a good idea to keep your assassin squad secret for long.

This had me laughing. Funny, but true.
The Porkchop Express
cbr said:

question - is there any character in this series yet that stands up to any of a huge list of GOT characters?

when you read that list and then think about this show.... man, that's why GOT was a big hit and released first. Those characters were just fantastic. (yes, i was not a fan of a couple of the season 8 episodes either, but you can still watch and enjoy up until then).

i just dont see anyone here comparing to that list very well.

thoughts?

My thought is that you are comparing a show that ran over the course of nine years and was based on a book series whose first volume was published in 1996 with a TV series that has had 5 episodes and is based on a segment of a book that was told as if you were reading the encyclopedia.

IIRC, a decent part of the thread on TexAgs for the first season of the GoT show was people griping that there too many guys with beards and they couldn't keep the characters straight. When the first season ends, I think would be a good time to take stock of how many characters you're enjoying and want more of. What you've seen so far is a fraction of the Dance of the Dragons. If you were only 5 episodes into the original show, think of all the amazing people you wouldn't have seen yet and all the marvelous subplots yet unearthed.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.