*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,138 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Billy Clyde has been drinking again
M.C. Swag
AG
BCG Disciple said:

M.C. Swag said:

what? What exactly made you "hate" her?

Did you hear what she said and how she welcomed her soon to be husband? Scene set up showed it to essentially be unprovoked. An offer to consummate a marriage to her sheep? Then dug in with the king choosing a girl over him, which is arguably one of the biggest family betrayals in Daemon's mind. To top it off, the bike, hate filled tone. A noble and proud dragon riding war hero, arguably the most accomplished in the 7 kingdoms at this point, belittled for simply showing up and doing his duty.

Not sure if you've ever seen the Bill Burr bit on it never hitting a woman, but I was getting fired up watching Daemon be emasculated in front of his soon to be wife.

What are you talking about? 1) Daemon wasn't her "soon to be husband" they were already married.

2) "Unprovoked"? She quoted to him the insult he said about how the sheep in the Vale are more attractive and styling her as the "bronze *****" to everyone.

3) He pretends to be some noble and brave dragon lord but he really is just an Impotent and jealous man. The fact he can't consummate his marriage (or seemingly any "coupling") is a larger failure of duty than anything Viserys has done.

Ohh now I see; you're one of those "women should keep their mouth shut" people.
Stive
AG
They've been married a while and he's never consummated the marriage (they alluded to that earlier in the season and she flat out said it last night). He's never there, he's never slept with her, she's a strong and proud woman, so she was talking trash to him about all of that history of him abandoning her.

You seem to be missing a lot of the pieces to that puzzle with your opinion.
PatAg
AG
Thunder18 said:

Just want to say how stupid they made Ser Criston's character this episode. Thinking he could convince the heir to the Iron Throne to give up her claim and run away with him just because they banged, and then brutally murdering a guest at her wedding celebration in full view of the entire party with no explanation demanded by the King or by Laenor and the Velaryons
Was he ever 'smart'? All he did was win a melee and get put on the Kingsguard prior to this
PatAg
AG
BCG Disciple said:

M.C. Swag said:

Did you hear what she said and how she welcomed her soon to be husband? Scene set up showed it to essentially be unprovoked. An offer to consummate a marriage to her sheep? Then dug in with the king choosing a girl over him, which is arguably one of the biggest family betrayals in Daemon's mind. To top it off, the bike, hate filled tone. A noble and proud dragon riding war hero, arguably the most accomplished in the 7 kingdoms at this point, belittled for simply showing up and doing his duty.

Not sure if you've ever seen the Bill Burr bit on it never hitting a woman, but I was getting fired up watching Daemon be emasculated in front of his soon to be wife.

Others already responded with facts, but this is still a weird take
The Porkchop Express
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Do they ever say why Cole wasn't immediatley arrested? He straight up murdered a lord that was a part of the inner circle of the groom. In a room with a hundred witnesses no less. Surprised his boyfriend didn't call for his execution on the spot.
I was thinking about this, but let's consider the facts.

1) Cole could easily have said that The Knight of Kisses was spreading false rumors about Princess Rhaenyra (not really false, but false to everyone but Cole, Rhaenyra, and the Queen)

2) In terms of real power among the players there, Laenor has 0 power. He's the king-consort-to-be. That's not *****

3) That guy dying - that's really great news for Laneor's dad, because he wants him to stop being gay and get some heirs to the throne going already. So he's not pissed at all that **** went down. His wife probably was hurt because her son was hurt, but she is smart enough to play dumb.

4) Rhaenyra feels for her cousin/husband, but she can probably guess why Cole went off, and plus he's pretty unhinged, she doesn't need him blabbing.

5) if Corlis isn't too upset about it, Viserys wouldn't be either, just some random dude to him.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not really going out on a limb here, but given the fact that neither the Velaryons or the Hightowers are major players by the time of GoT, both of those houses may get wiped out in the upcoming war.

So we've got:
Rhaeneyra/Targaryens + Velaryons
Vs
Aegon + Hightowers

Plus whichever houses decide to support Aegon as heir? Still don't know where Daemon will fall in all this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And again, would appreciate if book readers didn't throw in discussion points even if we are way off what happens in the book.
M.C. Swag
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Do they ever say why Cole wasn't immediatley arrested? He straight up murdered a lord that was a part of the inner circle of the groom. In a room with a hundred witnesses no less. Surprised his boyfriend didn't call for his execution on the spot.

1) Cole could easily have said that The Knight of Kisses was spreading false rumors about Princess Rhaenyra (not really false, but false to everyone but Cole, Rhaenyra, and the Queen)

2) In terms of real power among the players there, Laenor has 0 power. He's the king-consort-to-be. That's not *****

3) That guy dying - that's really great news for Laneor's dad, because he wants him to stop being gay and get some heirs to the throne going already. So he's not pissed at all that **** went down. His wife probably was hurt because her son was hurt, but she is smart enough to play dumb.

4) Rhaenyra feels for her cousin/husband, but she can probably guess why Cole went off, and plus he's pretty unhinged, she doesn't need him blabbing.

5) if Corlis isn't too upset about it, Viserys wouldn't be either, just some random dude to him.

Ya i just assumed it could be easily remedied by saying that Joffrey was "insulting the Princess' virtue" in front of her sworn protector (something we've been told is a grave crime). Plus Corlys likely dgaf that his son's lover got killed as it's a 'hurdle' removed from his son's husbandly duty.
BCG Disciple
AG
M.C. Swag said:

BCG Disciple said:

M.C. Swag said:

What are you talking about? 1) Daemon wasn't her "soon to be husband" they were already married.

2) "Unprovoked"? She quoted to him the insult he said about how the sheep in the Vale are more attractive and styling her as the "bronze *****" to everyone.

3) He pretends to be some noble and brave dragon lord but he really is just an Impotent and jealous man. The fact he can't consummate his marriage (or seemingly any "coupling") is a larger failure of duty than anything Viserys has done.

Fair points all around. I did not click that he's been married to her for a while. I thought it was new. My perspective was clearly not correct.
BCG Disciple
AG
Correct.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
BCG Disciple said:

M.C. Swag said:

BCG Disciple said:

M.C. Swag said:

Fair points all around. I did not click that he's been married to her for a while. I thought it was new. My perspective was clearly not correct.

Lobster Twins
AG
Speaking of spoilers, I need one on this. What brothel disease, dragon jockey mishap, etc happens to Rhaenyra in the next ten years to make her so hideous? Maybe an ill-tempered mule kicks her?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8458664/mediaviewer/rm3940944897?ref_=nmmi_mi_all_sf_2

Couldn't they have aged them with makeup? The new Queen is acceptable but this one....woof!!!!

Ahh, upon further research I get it...she's non-binary and uses them/theys...box checked
DannyDuberstein
AG
Let's be honest, the first Rhaenyra actress looked the part of a family tree with minimal branches. Not unlike Daemon. She did a very good job with the role, but we aren't losing some classic beauty or anything.
boy09
AG
Can we make a separate thread where everyone can just ***** about characters' appearances?
BowSowy
AG
Eh, I think they did a decent job getting the same unique look as the first actress.
combat wombat™
AG
I like the new hand. But what he has in brains (it was his suggestion that Viserys marry Laenora) he may lack in deviousness... and I'm curious to see how that plays out.

Alicent and Otto are both conniving opportunists. She seems all sweet and dutiful, but she's right in there with her dad. She took advantage of a grieving old man.
Quad Dog
AG
M.C. Swag said:

The Porkchop Express said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Ya i just assumed it could be easily remedied by saying that Joffrey was "insulting the Princess' virtue" in front of her sworn protector (something we've been told is a grave crime). Plus Corlys likely dgaf that his son's lover got killed as it's a 'hurdle' removed from his son's husbandly duty.
I think Kingsguard can get away with pretty much anything. All he's got to say is he had a knife and insulted the princess. That wouldn't even be a lie.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And again, would appreciate if book readers didn't throw in discussion points even if we are way off what happens in the book.
I can't wait to see you guys' reactions when all of the dragons start talking.
OnlyForNow
AG
I AM THE LAST ONE!!!
option short side
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean no non book reader would have gotten the green dress without that dialogue.
Allison seems to have gotten her courage. However, it seems her primary motivation for being angry is Rhaenyra being a skank and lying to her about it rather her dad saying all of her children will be killed once Rhaenrya becomes queen
Objective Aggie
AG
Curious what peoples overall reaction is thus far?

Mine:
Show is still good and better than most of what is available. But it is not prime GoT good.

The king is not an interesting character. Daemon and Rhaeryra are intriguing for sure, But compare them to the cast of Lannisters and Snows from early GoT and then the whole Daenerys wandering in dessrt hatchig dragons its not even close.

There has not been a major plot shocker or a vile villain. We had the crab feeder but that seemed like a rejected Marvel character or a Rick & Morty spoof from interdimensional cable.

Again, I like the show, I don't love it. Its the Better Call Saul version compared to Breaking Bad,
FancyKetchup14
AG
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm liking it so far. I'm not as "into it" as I was with GOT but there's not many other shows on TV now that I like so it has my full attention. It's either this, football, or random YouTube videos for me.
CondensedFogAggie
DannyDuberstein said:

Let's be honest, the first Rhaenyra actress looked the part of a family tree with minimal branches. Not unlike Daemon. She did a very good job with the role, but we aren't losing some classic beauty or anything.

Yeah it's not like Rhaenyra has to be the hottest elf princess in forever and ever.
BowSowy
AG
I like it. I agree, it hasn't gotten to the level of peak GoT did back in the day. But it's also only 4 episodes in. 4 episodes into GoT wasn't anywhere near peak GoT, either. I will be really curious to see if the time jump is handled well or not.
Goose06
AG
I mean I agree its not as good as GOT, but its still really good. Does it rely some on GOT nostalgia? Sure. But its still a great show.

As for no major plot shockers, what plot shockers had we seen through 5 episodes of GOT? The first one was probably Ned dying which was episode 10. Maybe you could say Bran falling from the castle walls? Or Arya/Nymeria getting into it with Joffrey and then Ned killing Lady. When did Tyrion get put on trial in the Vale? That was a big scene where Bronn beat the knight in death by combat, but wouldn't call it a shocker or anything.
BCG Disciple
AG
BowSowy said:

I like it. I agree, it hasn't gotten to the level of peak GoT did back in the day. But it's also only 4 episodes in. 4 episodes into GoT wasn't anywhere near peak GoT, either. I will be really curious to see if the time jump is handled well or not.

Yes, but four episodes in and we had already had multiple Daenerys nude scenes.
tk for tu juan
How many did a double take thinking Mikey Day was on the cast when Larys Strong walked into the background and started talking to Alicent?
BenFiasco14
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Totally.

https://instagr.am/p/CglGqrmo0_j

Versus

https://instagr.am/p/ChM-I3Go1ym

also - the former is 22, the latter 30. You're telling me they couldn't make it work? It's not like 10 years later, the Princess looks like Tom cruise in Tropic Thunder
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Lathspell
AG
This show has definitely highlighted how fortunate we were to get such an amazing show in GoT, before they caught up to the books.

Everything in this show just feels so different. The characters, dialogue, story, etc in GoT was just at another level. This show is fine, and I can enjoy it, but it isn't even close.
redline248
AG
If it's really only a 10 year jump, it's even worse.
Goose06
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

This show has definitely highlighted how fortunate we were to get such an amazing show in GoT, before they caught up to the books.

Everything in this show just feels so different. The characters, dialogue, story, etc in GoT was just at another level. This show is fine, and I can enjoy it, but it isn't even close.
Its superior to GOT seasons that were after the book material in all of these respects, in my opinion.
easttexasaggie04
AG

The Porkchop Express
AG
I'm finding this show to really fill the void of how bad GoT got at the end with hastily rushed scenes, nonsensical dialogue, and awkward changes in character arcs.

Seeing the politics at play is a welcome reminder, as is the fact that there aren't any characters to easily love or hate 100%. I thought this last episode did wonderful things to make me sympathietc to Corlys Valryon, who seemed like a d*bag previously. It sullied up Criston Cole who was pretty easy to root for prior to this and reminded you that Dr. Who is the Joker of this show right now - just wants to watch the world burn.

Viserys says it when he's talking to his new Hand, he should have attacked the Stepstones himself to get everyone on one side for a good old fashioned war. Robert Baratheon probably lasted those extra 10 years on the throne by getting Balon's revolt against the crown. Start a war against some patsy and get everyone feeling good about the crown again. As with a lot of empires, it's not some super powered enemy that ends up taking them down, it's the rot from within.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.