*** JAMES BOND : NO TIME TO DIE ***

170,519 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
jackie childs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:

Not to derail, but if anyone actually cares...

Sports were such a big deal in my hometown that I always thought I was going to do something in that field. Once I finally realized I wasn't going to be a 6'5" professional athlete, though, I thought about getting into shoe design - trying to work for Nike - since I was obsessed with Nike growing up and was a pretty good artist, but ultimately I just didn't have the passion for it. So, at that point, I had no idea what I wanted to do (and this is where it gets somewhat embarrassing) until one night, Christmas break '97, my high school buddies and I were illegally buying beer at 7-Eleven, across the street from the mall/movie theater, when a friend of ours and her boyfriend were walking in as we were walking out, mascara running down her face, still crying from something. I asked her what was wrong, and between sobs she said, "We just saw Titanic!" I had never seen someone cry like that from a movie before, which really piqued my interest. So the next night a group of us went to see Titanic as well - this was at the height of the craze - and afterward, as the lights came up, I remember how silent and somber the packed theater was, save for all the sniffling, and as we were walking out it hit me like a bolt of lightning that I wanted to be the one responsible for that feeling. Not necessarily the crying, but stirring some kind of emotional response in an audience. I just had no idea how, or what, in the industry, I wanted to be.

A couple days later, I randomly discovered Ain't It Cool News (it was listed as "The Best of Bytes" in a year-end People Magazine my parents had), and became instantly obsessed with online movie news. Then, a couple weeks after that, a three-paragraph synopsis for the upcoming, Nicolas Cage-starring Superman Lives dropped. I had a friend who was a huge Superman fan (he wore a sleeveless Superman t-shirt with the "S" on it under his football jersey on game days, and his AOL screen name was "Jor-El"), I wanted him to read the synopsis, but I had no idea copy and paste was even a thing back then. I didn't know I could just send him the link, and I sure as hell didn't know I could copy and paste the synopsis into a word document and print it out. So I literally wrote the synopsis down in one of my spiral notebooks for school, and as I was writing I was filling in the gaps in my head, thinking, "It would be cool if…" and then it him me - maybe *this* is what I want to do… write. A couple weeks after that (February '98), Good Will Hunting finally hit our theater, it absolutely blew me away - I had never seen an "indie" before - then a few weeks after that Damon & Affleck won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, and in that moment I knew for sure that's exactly what I wanted to do.

So, one part Titanic, one part Superman, and one part Good Will Hunting is basically what jump-started my passion, over a three-month period or so late in high school.

That said, I was still kind of embarrassed to admit that I wanted to go into the "the arts," and my entire family (all the way back three generations) went to A&M, so that's what I did as well. But, as we all know, that was probably the last place on Earth I should have been to try and become a filmmaker. So, I got a little disgruntled and depressed in my situation, and my grades suffered, to the point where I couldn't transfer out. Thankfully, my sophomore year, a family friend hooked me up with a job working for the video lab in the athletic department, where I got to work for the football team (and do my "sports" thing) while also getting to edit highlight videos, shoot commercials, etc (and do my "movie" thing), which I could not have loved more. Then, a year or two into that, I was taking a Studies in Black Film class - the only film class offered at A&M that semester - and a guy who worked on film sets in Hollywood, doing video playback for directors, came and spoke to the class (he was a graduate of A&M). At the end of the class, he offhandedly mentioned that he could set any of us up with an internship at a production company in LA if we wanted, and I was the only one to raise my hand and take him up on the offer. Didn't think twice. I met him for drinks that night at Fox & Hound, he vetted me a bit, and then a couple days later made the introduction via email to a production company he frequently worked with, on the Sony lot. I moved to LA for that summer, fell in love with it, met a ton of awesome people - some of my best friends still to this day - impressed the production company enough that they invited me back when I graduated, and from there I was on my way.
i think this is exactly the kind of specific, but not easily verifiable, story a completely fake poster would make.

i can almost hear this being spoken while some random guy in wichita falls peels off a facemask like patrick bateman in american psycho...."there is an idea of TCTTS"
kerrag06
AG
I have no idea what on earth the last few pages of this Thread are talking about but I'm pumped for the movie. We have tickets next Thursday at 9 here in SA. Now I just have to re-watch all the Craig Bond movies in the next week with my Gf so she understands the movie somewhat!
TCTTS
AG
Trying to decide how much I rewatch in the next week as well. I don't have time to knock out all four movies, so I might just try and do the highlights. For the life of me, I can hardly even remember what happened in Spectre. And I remember actually enjoying Quantum of Solace in the theater, but everyone apparently hates it. Might give that one another shot all the way through, if I can.
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

Trying to decide how much I rewatch in the next week as well. I don't have time to knock out all four movies, so I might just try and do the highlights. For the life of me, I can hardly even remember what happened in Spectre. And I remember actually enjoying Quantum of Solace in the theater, but everyone apparently hates it. Might give that one another shot all the way through, if I can.
Might as well start tomorrow morning since you have to watch 24 movies before Friday you slacker
TCTTS
Teacher_Ag
AG
TCTS, did that chain of events really not include being in the Aggie SWAMP Club? That kind of served as a refuge for me as a fellow "my dad went here but I don't fit in all that well" type.
TCTTS
AG
I would have joined, but my job in the athletic department was pretty demanding. I had like 30-hour work weeks sometimes in addition to a full class load. Was at every football practice, game days were eight-hour days, I'd have to be editing stuff too, and then I'd end up having to shoot another sporting event or two during the week as well. So no time for clubs. Though, I did go to a lot of those on-campus screenings, and attended a few other SWAMP events as well.
Teacher_Ag
AG
What years were you shooting for the football team?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Love a good origin story.
TCTTS
AG
Fall '00 to Fall '04. Last two Slocum seasons and the first three Fran seasons. In other words, one of the worst stretches in Aggie football history, save for the OU win.
jeffk
AG
One of my coaching buddies was a manager during that time too.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, nice. Talk about a crazy work week, those guys worked absolutely insane hours for college students. I don't know how they went to school as well.
Teacher_Ag
AG
I was there 02-05, probably were at some of the same SWAMP events.
TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Tickets bought for Thursday, October 7 at 4 PM. Chinese Theater IMAX in Hollywood. First official showing. Then, waking up early Friday morning for my flight to Texas for Bama/A&M.

Gonna be a great weekend.

Well this aged poorly.
Sea Speed
AG
gonna be a.......weekend, alright.
TCTTS
AG
Cancelled my trip the second we lost to Arkansas. Was already planning on going home the last weekend in October for my dad's 70th, so it was a relatively easy decision. Either way, I could not fathom making the trip back now specifically to watch us get annihilated. Cannot believe how far we've fallen so fast.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Funny enough that's not the first showing anymore either. I saw on the AMC app they have an early showing on Wednesday. Not sure if that's everywhere though.

Sticking with Thursday night though since I'm off work Friday.
TCTTS
AG
Just checked a bunch of theaters in LA and they all have the Wednesday night showing now too. But yeah, gonna stick with Thursday as well.
Faustus
TCTTS said:

First of all, I feel like I know a lot of people, and I don't know a single person in the real world who's read Dune or Foundation either. They're *obviously* popular books - I'm not denying that - but they're popular nerd books, let's be honest.

As for Bond, I have no excuse. I *might* have seen Goldeneye? Which is the one with Denis Richards as Christmas P*ssy or whatever? Where she plays a scientist? I have vague recollections of that one, but I might have just seen bits and pieces on TV. I didn't get super into movies until the late '90s (I played a sh*t ton of sports instead) so there's a lot I missed back then.
Reading for pleasure is a nerd activity, unless we're talking romance, which come to think of it the exclusion strikes me as somewhat sexist.
TheDoctor
AG
Denise Richards played Christmas Jones in The World is Not Enough, Brosnan's third film.

And that's DOCTOR Christmas Jones to you.

"I thought Christmas only comes once a year".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They gave her the name for just that one pun.
Sea Speed
AG
was there ever any doubt?
Mathguy64
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

They gave her the name for just that one pun.

Imagine trying to use ***** Galore today.
TheDoctor
AG
Dr. Christmas Jones : The world's greatest terrorist running around with six kilos of weapons-grade plutonium can't be good. I gotta get it back, or someone's gonna have my ass.

James Bond : First things first.

jackie childs
man, i'm fighting through a Spectre re-watch in anticipation of No Time to Die. this movie had so much potential
CoppellAg93
AG
My wife and I watched the 4 Craig films over the last 2 weeks and then watched the documentary on Apple TV+, so we are primed for Thursday night.

I remember not really having heard of Craig before CR, but I couldn't believe all of the horribly negative press Craig and the movie got prior to its release. I guess the British press are pretty cruel in general but man - they said some awful things when they announced Craig as the new Bond.

What's even funnier is that all it took for them to change their minds was the beach scene when Craig comes out of the water in his short trunks - next thing you know he's the best Bond ever !

Really looking forward to No Time To Die !!
WES2006AG
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

My wife and I watched the 4 Craig films over the last 2 weeks and then watched the documentary on Apple TV+, so we are primed for Thursday night.

I remember not really having heard of Craig before CR, but I couldn't believe all of the horribly negative press Craig and the movie got prior to its release. I guess the British press are pretty cruel in general but man - they said some awful things when they announced Craig as the new Bond.

What's even funnier is that all it took for them to change their minds was the beach scene when Craig comes out of the water in his short trunks - next thing you know he's the best Bond ever !

Really looking forward to No Time To Die !!

This made me lol during the documentary. British people are so fickle.
AggieLitigator
Vesper - Eva Green is the best Bond actress. Change my mind.
Mathguy64
AG
AggieLitigator said:

Honor Blackmon
Jane Seymore
Jill St John
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Honor Blackmon
Jane Seymore
Jill St John

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hans Zimmer did the score for this movie. Honestly have no idea if I knew this and forgot, or am just now learning this, but in any case, we are getting two Zimmer scores within two weeks of each other.

How awesome is that?
wangus12
AG
Mathguy64 said:

AggieLitigator said:

Honor Blackmon
Jane Seymore
Jill St John
There is only one correct answer.

Diana Rigg

Sea Speed
AG
Jenna meroni?!?!
Mathguy64
AG
I will allow it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.