*** JAMES BOND : NO TIME TO DIE ***

170,588 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For years I thought the burned wreck of the QE in Hong Kong harbor was fake for the movie. It wasnt until later that I discovered it was a real thing. Which now makes me wonder if the Bottoms Up Club was real? Something to investigate tonight.
oragator
Die another Day had Rosamund Pike, that's redeeming.
And Halle Berry in a bikini wasn't bad either.

I also liked the opening NK scene. But not much redeeming beyond that.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Mathguy64 said:

For years I thought the burned wreck of the QE in Hong Kong harbor was fake for the movie. It wasnt until later that I discovered it was a real thing. Which now makes me wonder if the Bottoms Up Club was real? Something to investigate tonight.

I want to say it was! Or a comparable place. I went to that same area in HK. What was once the location of Bottoms up is now an Adidas Store. All of that part of Kowloon is fully developed and new. Peninsula Hotel is one of the few things (including the RRs) that still exists.

The Hai Fat compound and gardens are actually still there in the northwest side. Walked by the wall which is still the same. It's closed to the public. I tried contacting the owners to see if I could visit but to no avail.
wangus12
AG
DAD solved

View to a Kill is my least favorite out of all of them. I liked License to Kill, but they screwed the pooch having Carey Lowell cut her hair halfway through
YouBet
AG
oragator said:

Some of it too is what you watch them for. I actually care about plot and love the locations, which I think make the franchise. And for all it's last 20 minute faults, Moonraker had all of that in spades, so I liked it. You have London, Rio, Venice, California, the Amazon etc. And then a decent plot to keep you interested. And a good bad guy. I don't watch for chase scenes as much.

The Soy Who Loved me was the high point of the series for me, it had the bad guy, the locations, the action, the over the top open, the over the top finish, and I always liked Roger Moore in the role. Then Moonraker went too far for many and they toned it down there after.
I never want to see this movie.
Mathguy64
AG
So the Bottoms Up Club was real and in Kowloon. It closed in 2004 apparently due to high rent. It reopened in another location but closed for good in 2009.

Things you learn watching Bond films and the internet.
TXAG 05
AG
oragator said:

Die another Day had Rosamund Pike, that's redeeming.
And Halle Berry in a bikini wasn't bad either.

I also liked the opening NK scene. But not much redeeming beyond that.

Oh yeah. Forgot Rosamund was in it. Still not enough to overcome the suck
West Point Aggie
AG
Nothing can out-suck Moonraker…god that was bad in every possible way!
wangus12
AG
Pfft space sex with a gal named Goodhead is awesome in everyway
West Point Aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Pfft space sex with a gal named Goodhead is awesome in everyway

You probably loved Golden Eye and the S&M chick who orgasmed on violence and who always liked a good squeeze!
AggieEP
I was a teenager that hadn't been allowed to watch many R rated movies when I saw Goldeneye for the first time.... That scene with Xenia freaking terrified me For however nervous I was about having sex for the first time before I saw that, I was now worried it was potentially dangerous as well.

Most of the previous Bond movies had handled sex scenes like soap operas do by just showing light foreplay before skipping ahead to post coital cuddling in bed.
TCTTS
AG

WHISPERS INTO THE THREAD: The only Bond movies I've ever seen are the Daniel Craig Bond movies…

Mathguy64
AG
The hell? You have only seen the last 4 Bond movies. You have never read Dune or Foundation.

What is wrong with you?
wangus12
AG
I'm really starting to think TC doesn't actually work in film/Hollywood. His watch/read catalog seems to only go back to like 2006.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What the ****? Not even the Brosnan ones?

I'm starting to think I knew you even less than FBF.
TCTTS
AG
First of all, I feel like I know a lot of people, and I don't know a single person in the real world who's read Dune or Foundation either. They're *obviously* popular books - I'm not denying that - but they're popular nerd books, let's be honest.

As for Bond, I have no excuse. I *might* have seen Goldeneye? Which is the one with Denis Richards as Christmas P*ssy or whatever? Where she plays a scientist? I have vague recollections of that one, but I might have just seen bits and pieces on TV. I didn't get super into movies until the late '90s (I played a sh*t ton of sports instead) so there's a lot I missed back then.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
wangus12 said:

I'm really starting to think TC doesn't actually work in film/Hollywood. His watch/read catalog seems to only go back to like 2006.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I played football, swam, and did karate, and watched a ton of movies. Sports and movies are mutually exclusive in your experience?
ChipFTAC01
AG
TCTTS said:

First of all, I feel like I know a lot of people, and I don't know a single person in the real world who's read Dune or Foundation either. They're *obviously* popular books - I'm not denying that - but they're popular nerd books, let's be honest.

As for Bond, I have no excuse. I *might* have seen Goldeneye? Which is the one with Denis Richards as Christmas P*ssy or whatever? Where she plays a scientist? Ihave vague recollections of that one, but I might have just seen bits and pieces on TV. I didn't get super into movies until the late '90s (I played a sh*t ton of sports instead) so there's a lot I missed back then.

Talk about trolling...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Where I grew up, yeah. I mean we all saw movies, obviously, but only the super popular ones. Otherwise it was sports, sports, sports. If we weren't playing sports we were watching sports. Then Nintendo when we weren't doing that. And then movies.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I swear I'm not trolling. She had just come off Wild Things, which was a seminal movie for us in high school. So I remember her becoming a Bond girl after that, I remember her character having a ridiculous name, and I remember finding it hilarious she was playing a scientist.
Sea Speed
AG
Her playing a scientist is like a running joke/trope or whatever since she played that role. I've seen several instances of it being mocked or referenced although I couldn't give you a specific example of it happening if pressed.
Mathguy64
AG
Asimov - Foundation
Herbert - Dune
Heinlein - A Stranger in a Strange Land

The seminal works from the 50's through the 70's in science fiction. They explore complex thoughts and ideas and just happen to be written in that genre. All so complex they really cannot easily convert to film. Of all Dune is the easiest and frankly only the first novel of the set will be made.

You need to get out more.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Where I grew up, yeah. I mean we all saw movies, obviously, but only the super popular ones. Otherwise it was sports, sports, sports. If we weren't playing sports we were watching sports. Then Nintendo when we weren't doing that. And then movies.

I'm legit curious how someone with your background got into movies enough that you wanted to make it your career. I'm not sure if you've shared that before and I've forgotten.
TCTTS
AG
Not to derail, but if anyone actually cares...

Sports were such a big deal in my hometown that I always thought I was going to do something in that field. Once I finally realized I wasn't going to be a 6'5" professional athlete, though, I thought about getting into shoe design - trying to work for Nike - since I was obsessed with Nike growing up and was a pretty good artist, but ultimately I just didn't have the passion for it. So, at that point, I had no idea what I wanted to do (and this is where it gets somewhat embarrassing) until one night, Christmas break '97, my high school buddies and I were illegally buying beer at 7-Eleven, across the street from the mall/movie theater, when a friend of ours and her boyfriend were walking in as we were walking out, mascara running down her face, still crying from something. I asked her what was wrong, and between sobs she said, "We just saw Titanic!" I had never seen someone cry like that from a movie before, which really piqued my interest. So the next night a group of us went to see Titanic as well - this was at the height of the craze - and afterward, as the lights came up, I remember how silent and somber the packed theater was, save for all the sniffling, and as we were walking out it hit me like a bolt of lightning that I wanted to be the one responsible for that feeling. Not necessarily the crying, but stirring some kind of emotional response in an audience. I just had no idea how, or what, in the industry, I wanted to be.

A couple days later, I randomly discovered Ain't It Cool News (it was listed as "The Best of Bytes" in a year-end People Magazine my parents had), and became instantly obsessed with online movie news. Then, a couple weeks after that, a three-paragraph synopsis for the upcoming, Nicolas Cage-starring Superman Lives dropped. I had a friend who was a huge Superman fan (he wore a sleeveless Superman t-shirt with the "S" on it under his football jersey on game days, and his AOL screen name was "Jor-El"), I wanted him to read the synopsis, but I had no idea copy and paste was even a thing back then. I didn't know I could just send him the link, and I sure as hell didn't know I could copy and paste the synopsis into a word document and print it out. So I literally wrote the synopsis down in one of my spiral notebooks for school, and as I was writing I was filling in the gaps in my head, thinking, "It would be cool if…" and then it him me - maybe *this* is what I want to do… write. A couple weeks after that (February '98), Good Will Hunting finally hit our theater, it absolutely blew me away - I had never seen an "indie" before - then a few weeks after that Damon & Affleck won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, and in that moment I knew for sure that's exactly what I wanted to do.

So, one part Titanic, one part Superman, and one part Good Will Hunting is basically what jump-started my passion, over a three-month period or so late in high school.

That said, I was still kind of embarrassed to admit that I wanted to go into the "the arts," and my entire family (all the way back three generations) went to A&M, so that's what I did as well. But, as we all know, that was probably the last place on Earth I should have been to try and become a filmmaker. So, I got a little disgruntled and depressed in my situation, and my grades suffered, to the point where I couldn't transfer out. Thankfully, my sophomore year, a family friend hooked me up with a job working for the video lab in the athletic department, where I got to work for the football team (and do my "sports" thing) while also getting to edit highlight videos, shoot commercials, etc (and do my "movie" thing), which I could not have loved more. Then, a year or two into that, I was taking a Studies in Black Film class - the only film class offered at A&M that semester - and a guy who worked on film sets in Hollywood, doing video playback for directors, came and spoke to the class (he was a graduate of A&M). At the end of the class, he offhandedly mentioned that he could set any of us up with an internship at a production company in LA if we wanted, and I was the only one to raise my hand and take him up on the offer. Didn't think twice. I met him for drinks that night at Fox & Hound, he vetted me a bit, and then a couple days later made the introduction via email to a production company he frequently worked with, on the Sony lot. I moved to LA for that summer, fell in love with it, met a ton of awesome people - some of my best friends still to this day - impressed the production company enough that they invited me back when I graduated, and from there I was on my way.
jeffk
AG
The Disney-esque "jocks don't read books" part of TCTTS' origin story cracks me up every time. No offense intended, it's just funny how hard of a line that was drawn there.
Max Power
AG
Thanks for sharing. It took a lot of guts to admit how much you enjoy seeing women cry.
TCTTS
AG
jeffk said:

The Disney-esque "jocks don't read books" part of TCTTS' origin story cracks me up every time. No offense intended, it's just funny how hard of a line that was drawn there.

Ha, it's not even a jock thing! I have multiple nerdish non-sports-fans friends who haven't read Dune or Foundation either. I'm honestly shocked so many people here have.
TCTTS
AG
Max Power said:

Thanks for sharing. It took a lot of guts to admit how much you enjoy seeing women cry.

Little did I know how easy it was. Don't know why I had to devote an entire career to it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

I remember how silent and somber the packed theater was, save for all the sniffling
I experienced that movie very differently. I recall being in awe of Cameron's depiction of the sinking, of the literal 1-1 scale of it all. But to this day, if I bother to watch any of it, I will laugh at (a) the fellow who hits the screw and then cartwheels into the water and (b) the bad guy just happens to be standing exactly where the ship splits, and he falls into the lower decks. Maybe laughing so hard that I actually have a bit of watery discharge ...

Other than the actual visual spectacle of the sinking, the rest of Titanic was utter garbage.

And chalk up another who managed to play baseball and tennis growing up and still see a hell of a lot of movies while also writing various Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Superman stories.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is like one of those origin stories you hear in Hollywood, like how Star Wars was that lightning bolt for James Cameron.

Of all movies for it to be Titanic for you, both surprising and amusing.

To be fair that movie was such a phenomenon, it's not all that surprising. I saw it 4+ times in theaters, spread over the course of like 6 months.

Thanks for sharing.
West Point Aggie
AG
AggieEP said:

I was a teenager that hadn't been allowed to watch many R rated movies when I saw Goldeneye for the first time.... That scene with Xenia freaking terrified me For however nervous I was about having sex for the first time before I saw that, I was now worried it was potentially dangerous as well.

I was older and saw the flick with a lesbian…she kinda loved it! I was like "whatever floats your boat miss thang!"
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is like one of those origin stories you hear in Hollywood, like how Star Wars was that lightning bolt for James Cameron.

Of all movies for it to be Titanic for you, both surprising and amusing.

To be fair that movie was such a phenomenon, it's not all that surprising. I saw it 4+ times in theaters, spread over the course of like 6 months.

Thanks for sharing.

No problem.

I'm always embarrassed when anyone asks, because yeah... it's basically Titanic that did it for me. Like you said, though, it was literally the biggest movie ever at the time. It came out December '97, and when we saw Good Will Hunting the following February, I remember there *still* being long lines for Titanic. It was crazy.

But I legit like the movie. It has its issues, sure, but the spectacle was incredible, and I'd just never seen a movie do that to an audience before.

Ultimately, I do wish it was something cooler that did it for me, but at least Good Will Hunting factored in as well.
Mathguy64
AG
I've read Dune, Foundation, Stranger in a Strange Land but never seen Titanic or worked in Hollywood.

I'm the anti TCTTS. I am Redstone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.