*** JAMES BOND : NO TIME TO DIE ***

170,435 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A friend of mine just had a great, out-of-left-field casting choice for Bond post-Craig. It's sounding more and more like they're either going with a person of color or a woman next go around and if so, Riz Ahmed, of Nightcrawler, The Night Of, and Rogue One, could potentially be pretty awesome. Dude is a Brit too...

TCTTS
AG
The same friend also suggested Emily Blunt if they go with a woman, which could be cool too, but I doubt the pendulum swings that far in the next iteration.
_lefraud_
AG
Bond MUST be these things:

Male
Athletic/Fit
British
Heterosexual
israeliag
AG
Agree with the athletic/fit, but IMO, more important than your other three are that Bond be:
  • Charming
  • Seductive
  • Witty
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't understand why so many people are clamoring for a minority or female Bond. Just create a new original character.
TCTTS
AG
Brick Tamland
What about Henry Cavill as Bond?
TCTTS
AG
Between The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Mission: Impossible - Fallout I'm afraid he may have already popped that cherry.
Tanya 93
Brick Tamland said:

What about Henry Cavill as Bond?
Not sure on him.
He's hot, but not sure if he could pull it off.

Benedict Cumberbatch could.
Or David Tennant.
Brick Tamland
True. I was just thinking of tall, white, classically handsome British men. I would actually like to see what Idris Elba would do, but Cavill seems very Brosnan-Bond to me.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think Cumberbatch possesses the raw masculinity to play Bond. Or, it would be a very different Bond.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry but keep Cumberbatch far away from Bond.
Tanya 93
As a fan of Bond and Benedict, I think it could really work.

But I think he is very attractive and Bond needs to be that and smart. He can pull off both.
Guitarsoup
AG
If they were going to make a gay Bond then Benedict Cumberbatch would be my first choice.
Tanya 93
Guitarsoup said:

If they were going to make a gay Bond then Benedict Cumberbatch would be my first choice.
More than Timothy Dalton?
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm not sure you have seen a TD Bond movie.
MaroonStain
AG
Cumberbatch is a good modern Sherlock but would be a huge miss as 007.
Tanya 93
Guitarsoup said:

I did. I didn't like him as Bond.
Your mileage may vary.

But people didn't think Colin Firth could pull off a bad ass either. Same for Liam Nesson
Guitarsoup
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I did. I didn't like him as Bond.

Not liking him as Bond is completely different from thinking he played a gayish Bond.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Loved Dalton as Bond. The perfect replacement for the goofiness of the final few Moore movies.
FTAG 2000
AG
Casting a woman? Didn't they learn anything from that stupid Ghostbusters reboot?

There's nothing PC about Bond and going that route would be a wreck.
_lefraud_
AG
Latest Odds:

Tom Hardy - 3/1
James Norton - 4/1
Jack Huston - 4/1
Aidan Turner - 7/1
Idris Elba - 7/1
Tom Hiddleston - 8/1
Michael Fassbender - 12/1
Henry Cavill - 20/1
Jamie Bell - 20/1

Wish Matthew Goode could get some interest. I think he "interviewed" a couple years back, but I guess it didn't go well. I think he has the charm and wit to do the job, from what I saw in The Imitation Game.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AG 2000' said:

Casting a woman? Didn't they learn anything from that stupid Ghostbusters reboot?

There's nothing PC about Bond and going that route would be a wreck.
Well, we now have a female Doctor Who.

Let's just call it even and cast a male as James Bond.
TCTTS
AG
I'm with you on casting a female - that feels like a bridge too far - but a black James Bond could be a really cool and welcomed change of pace.
TCTTS
AG
All I know is that from that list of the latest odds above, none of those names really excite me, save for Idris Elba if he was, say, 10 years younger. I guess Tom Hardy could be great, but even he feels boring at this point.

For me it's not about race or representation or anything along those lines, I just want something new from this franchise after Craig. And going with a black guy seems like a great way to mix things up. Otherwise, I don't know how they truly "reboot" in this day and age.
Sex Panther
AG
I wouldn't mind a black Bond if it was a natural fit. If they do it just to do it, then it becomes problematic.

In my opinion, Idris Elba is a perfect fit (but 10 years ago unfortunately). He exudes the characteristics Bond has to a tee. British, rugged but refined, ultra suave/charismatic, could kill any man and sleep with any woman... That's what Bond is. And as someone else said, there is nothing PC about Bond and that's what's great about him.

If they make it a search for a black Bond because "it's 2018" and "it's time" then I am not on board, unless they nail the casting... But anytime you put out some kind of quota for a Hollywood casting, in my opinion (and that's all it is) you're setting yourself up for failure and a backlash.

I do say that that list is terrible and doesn't excite me one bit (the exception being Fassbender). Even Tom Hardy who is a great actor doesn't seem like Bond at all to me. And I'm not sure I can take him mumbling his martini orders... Tom Hiddleston is charming and while in great shape, he just doesn't seem like a badass or have the ultra Alpha presence needed. Benedict Cumberbatch is a great actor, a great Doctor Strange, a phenomenal Sherlock... but he ain't Bond.

And don't be ridiculous with any nonsense about a Jane Bond
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
TCTTS
AG
With Craig's (presumably) final Bond film coming in 2019, good news is that the next Bond actor likely won't be cast for quite some time. The average time span between the release of Craig Bond movies has been 3.75 years. So taking that number, let's say they wait four years to release the post-Craig reboot (for the record, it was also four years between Brosnan's last turn and Craig's debut). That means, at the absolute earliest, they won't be casting the next Bond until 2022 (for a 2023 release), four years from now. Anything can and will happen between now and then. The next Bond could very well be a struggling actor who's bartending in London right now and doesn't get his big break until next year. In other words, for those of us not satisfied with the current list of potentials, there's plenty of time for new names to emerge.
Quad Dog
AG
I agree with the no woman Bond idea. It's like saying "we can't create good female characters, so we'll just gender swap a male one." Instead create a good female character, or use one you have well.
I think the period piece about M is a brilliant idea.
I had this thought the other day based on comics reviving Bucky Barnes. (if you don't know, Bucky Barnes was dead in comics for a long time, one of the few characters who looked like he would stay dead. Until Ed Brubaker had the brilliant idea to write a story that Captain America was the cover for Bucky the spy. Bucky could sneak in and do dirty work while Captain America was the distraction. Bucky came back to life as the Winter Soldier)

Make a Moneypenny movie. We all know Bond goes in, saves the day, but leaves behind a huge mess and a ton of loose ends. All these years Moneypenny had been flirting with and following around Bond so she could be the one to clean up those messes. Bond always uses his real name, Moneypenny goes in and deletes records and surveillance footage. Bond leaves a trail of dead bodies, Moneypenny has to go in and get rid of the evidence. Except now she finds that Bond has left the job unfinished, and she has to race against the clock to complete the mission. They tried to spin off a female spy character with Halle Berry from Die Another Day, but the movie was so bad they abandoned the idea.
TCTTS
AG
Hmmm...

https://instagr.am/p/BfbrGN3BbyG
titanmaster_race
He's too goofy looking. I can never not think of him as the goofy kid riding his stationary bike in Black Mirror.

Would be a shame to give it to him over Elba.
bagger05
AG
Anyone discuss Chiwetel Ejiofor?

He's five years younger than Elba. Has the acting chops. Don't think I've seen him in an action role.
Guitarsoup
AG
Jack OConnell

titanmaster_race
bagger05 said:

Anyone discuss Chiwetel Ejiofor?

He's five years younger than Elba. Has the acting chops. Don't think I've seen him in an action role.

He had a bit of an action role in Serenity. He was good.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Everybody is overthinking it. The obvious answer is not always the wrong answer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.