****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,480 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trick or treat, smell my feet, Wesley needs to take a seat
xjrayx
AG
Great job fighting their way back into this game!
True Anomaly
AG
Considering how much they look outmatched this game, it's incredible they're still in it
rsf0626
Luka and DSJ look awful tonight.....idk what changed from the game against the spurs to now
PatAg
AG
rookie and 2nd year guard
fightinags2013
AG
Wes is just the worst
Can hardly stand watching him run around acting like he's friggin Michael Jordan
True Anomaly
AG
Didn't stay up to watch the 2nd half, but looking at highlights it looks like Doncic helped keep them in it, even getting the tying bucket in the last few seconds.
M.C. Swag
AG
I hope DSJ is able to gel with Luka. 8 games in, I haven't see any on-court chemistry between the two. I'm not too worried yet (as they're both 19), but I just want to see some signs that they can work together.
mavsfan4ever
AG
True Anomaly said:

Didn't stay up to watch the 2nd half, but looking at highlights it looks like Doncic helped keep them in it, even getting the tying bucket in the last few seconds.
Here is what you missed. We played awesome in the 4th quarter. Rick made a smart decision to sit DSJ for basically the entire 4th, and we had an epic comeback. Our offense is so much better without DSJ with the first unit. Luka made some big plays (assists and buckets) down the stretch and tied the game with 6 seconds left. Then Wes inexplicably seemed to think we had a foul to give and fouled Lebron with 2 seconds left about 8 feet behind the 3 point line. Lebron made one of two to win the game.

If we are trying to win, I'd start playing DSJ with the second unit. But that would probably hurt his ego/confidence, so I don't think it's likely to happen (and honestly don't think it would be a smart move for that reason).
Scar Tissue
AG
It seems like Wes is either jacking up 3's or committing dumb fouls at the end of games.
jeffdjohnson
8 games in and it is hard to see any path to the playoffs due to this team's terrible defense. Offensively they can be good, sometimes even great. I just don't see how the defense gets better this year. Still its a pretty fun/entertaining team to watch this year.

It's also TBD if Doncic and DSJ can co-exist. Seems clear already that Doncic is the one to build around if someone has to go. I'm still holding my DSJ stock and hope he can improve his consistency. I think it can work. He has had some very good games already but they are all over the map.

Bad news is the roster really needs an overhaul going forward next year. Really only DSJ (maybe), Doncic and Barnes (overpaid) could play on a hypothetical playoff team in 2021. Then maybe 2 out of Kleber, Powell (overpaid), Finney-Smith and Brunson from the bench. Kleber is kind of interesting but the rest are pretty much JAGs.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Powell isn't overpaid. But I agree with most of what you said.
M.C. Swag
AG
I like our bench. Kleber, Powell and DFS definitely bring some juice. Brunson shows flashes, which is all I need from a first year rookie.

Barea is all over the place but until DSJ settles down, he's the best stabilizer at the PG position we have (I'm hoping Brunson eventually makes Barea obsolete.)

I really really want to see Spalding and hope he can carve out a bench role. If that happens, the bench unit is set for years and we can focus exclusively on filling out the starting unit with FA.
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I like our bench. Kleber, Powell and DFS definitely bring some juice. Brunson shows flashes, which is all I need from a first year rookie.

Barea is all over the place but until DSJ settles down, he's the best stabilizer at the PG position we have (I'm hoping Brunson eventually makes Barea obsolete.)

I really really want to see Spalding and hope he can carve out a bench role. If that happens, the bench unit is set for years and we can focus exclusively on filling out the starting unit with FA.
Spalding looked great in a couple of possessions during the preseason. A lot of qualifiers, but I'm also hopeful to see what happens to him

With that being said, since he was drafted right next to him, I'm hoping Kostas can make a few appearances this season
M.C. Swag
AG
True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

Spalding looked great in a couple of possessions during the preseason. A lot of qualifiers, but I'm also hopeful to see what happens to him

With that being said, since he was drafted right next to him, I'm hoping Kostas can make a few appearances this season
haha the sports cynic in me only sees Kostas as bait to lure his brother. But I would def not mind if he earned a seat at the table by his own right!
DannyDuberstein
AG
So sick of Wes Matthews. Single-handedly wrecked the start of this game.
COAg15
AG
I wasn't able to tune in to the game tonight. Is there a fair explanation for why we lost to the Knicks at home?
Seven Costanza
AG
So how is Zion Williamson going to fit in with this team next year?
Street_Cred_Norm
Didn't we trade a first to get Luka? Or is it top 5 protected?
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's top 5 protected
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think this team is going to put together a decent run by the middle of the season and the 2nd half. It won't be a playoff team, but after some additional time to gel, I think they are going to play a fair amount of .500 bball.
rsf0626
There is defintley something weird about this team....starters dont mesh well at all
fightinags2013
AG
Somebody needs an ass chewing after a loss to the freaking Knicks. Pathetic.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'm getting legit concerned about the culture of this roster. DJ is playing like a selfish b*tch.

At this point I'm open to anything that makes Luka comfortable. He's the future and everyone else is secondary.
PatAg
AG
rsf0626 said:

There is defintley something weird about this team....starters dont mesh well at all
too many people that want the ball in the starting lineup, one for sure needs to change how he thinks. The other is still only 20.
True Anomaly
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I think this team is going to put together a decent run by the middle of the season and the 2nd half. It won't be a playoff team, but after some additional time to gel, I think they are going to play a fair amount of .500 bball.

Totally agree with this. Need a half a season to see how DSJ and Luka mesh
True Anomaly
AG
From r/Mavericks; a detailed video analysis of DeAndre's game from last night. Or more specific, his lack of a game-

https://reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/9tt8w9/last_nights_game_and_the_story_of_ean_re_jor_an/
94chem
True Anomaly said:

From r/Mavericks; a detailed video analysis of DeAndre's game from last night. Or more specific, his lack of a game-

https://reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/9tt8w9/last_nights_game_and_the_story_of_ean_re_jor_an/
Dang. Did we get the left-handed Dwight Howard?
mavsfan4ever
AG
That rebound that Deandre stole from Luka is ridiculous. And as one reddit user pointed out in the comments, the reactions are pretty telling. You can tell Luka didn't like it (for good reason). Salah also knocked knees with Kleiber on the bench, like did you see that? And Brunson had a wtf reaction as well.
COAg15
AG
This is more of a ESPN / betting question. How can ESPN give the Mavs a 59.6% chance of winning, yet the spread still be +1.5? Shouldn't the line and ESPN more directly correlate with each other?
M.C. Swag
AG
COAg15 said:

This is more of a ESPN / betting question. How can ESPN give the Mavs a 59.6% chance of winning, yet the spread still be +1.5? Shouldn't the line and ESPN more directly correlate with each other?

Idk, I actually think 59% kinda correlates to a 1.5 spread. Like, ESPN is saying the Mavs are barely favored and so does Vegas. If 50/50 is an even matchup with a 0pt spread, then I can see how 59% flows through to a 1.5 pt spread. Either way, lines are set based on action more than probabilities. They don't necessarily correlate to a certain outcome as much as it does to public opinion.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dallas is a 1.5 underdog.

Beyond just a potential basic disagreement where Vegas perception of the matchup vs ESPN's calculation, the line is there to influence bettors, and has to factor in the betting public's perception. One team is riding a 6 game losing streak that includes some pretty bad teams like the Knicks, while the other is also bad but coming off a win. So even though ESPN's ranking may say one thing, making the Mavs a favorite and the betting may come in too heavy on the other side.
M.C. Swag
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Dallas is a 1.5 underdog.

Beyond just a potential basic disagreement where Vegas perception of the matchup vs ESPN's calculation, the line is there to influence bettors, and has to factor in the betting public's perception. One team is riding a 6 game losing streak that includes some pretty bad teams like the Knicks, while the other is also bad but coming off a win. So even though ESPN's ranking may say one thing, making the Mavs a favorite and the betting may come in too heavy on the other side.
oh well...then ya. ESPN analytics =/= vegas odds making.

Personally, I think if there's a game the Mavs have to win, it's this one. Would just be a disasterous start to the season if we drop a game at home to the dysfunctional Wizards.
True Anomaly
AG
Well, good thing they won

This was as a good a win as they've had this year. What's even more encouraging is that we're starting to see Wes Matthews being inserted into the bench unit and DFS running with the starters, which is what some have been calling for recently. It looked like it meshed well
M.C. Swag
AG
DFS has earned a starting role. Really happy for him and that bodes wel for this team overall.

Hard to complain about much in last nights game. There were still some bone head turnovers and I about lost my mind when the Mavs had like 4 in the first half and then started the 3rd with 8 that allowed the Wiz to take a 20+ pt lead down to single digits. But we recovered nicely. DSJ went beast mode. And I love love love when he has confidence in his game to attack the rim.

Kleber was about the only "disappointing" player. He missed a few wide open looks from 3 and his role on offense is strictly to make those shots.

Great game by our young son, Luka. Crazy that 10 games in he is leading the team in per game avg for
Points, 2nd in assists, 2nd in rebounds, and third in steals. I don't think it's even a debate that he's alreadh the best offensive player on the Dallas roster.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.