****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,433 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
M.C. Swag said:

PatAg said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I left like Luka was really going for the triple double last night. He was really trying to get that last assist. Not a huge deal by any means, but it annoyed me.
I mean, a big part of his job on the team is to create for others
Yea, but he was literally ONLY hunting for that assist. It's hard to 'create for others' when it's fairly obvious you have no intention of creating for yourself. It's not a big deal, but was definitely a little letdown.
I think you were looking to see that, so you saw it. That was not the impression I got watching it.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I thought he was definitely hunting for it, which led to him not shooting and making some terrible passes. And I thought his body language was bad after Powell missed the dunk and got fouled on the lob at the end that would have given him 10 assists. His immediate reaction was that he was put off and he even started walking away as Powell was on the ground. Then he caught himself and stopped and went back to Powell after people had helped him up.

He had just always seemed like he didn't care about stats. For example, I love how he takes long half court shots at the end of quarters and doesn't care that it makes his shooting percentage go down. Almost no one does that. So it was durprising that he seemed to care so much about the triple double in a loss.

Again, not a big deal and we are reading more into it than we need to. But it was a little off putting.
PatAg
AG
agree to disagree
Grapesoda2525
Who else is really glad it's the all star break?

The last 2 games were pretty ugly. These guys need to practice together.
M.C. Swag
AG
Mavs had a watch party for the Rising Stars game last night and they raffled off a Luka signed basketball. Somehow I had the winning ticket!

TheMasterplan
Nice dude!
PooDoo
AG
rsf0626
Mavs need to go all in on Giannis when he's a free agent in 2021. He's unreal
rsf0626
M.C. Swag
AG
was anyone else tearing up after dirk made those 3s?
M.C. Swag
AG
hph6203
AG
Sent this exact text to my buddy during the game.
MountainAg99
AG
If we sign a FA this summer, will we have a enough coming off the books in 2021 to make Giannis work?
rsf0626
I trust Donnie Nelson would have a plan for that.

I hope the mavs go after Kris Middleton this summer also (assuming KD/klay pass on the mavs). He's a great shooter who doesnt need to be ball dominant. Would fit perfectly with luka
jeffdjohnson
I don't see Giannis leaving Milwaukee. I was hoping there would be an Anthony Davis type situation there where his team would be terrible. But he is too good for that and the team they built compliments him perfectly. I hope the Mavs aren't planning their FA spending around this pipe dream.

The Mavs could build a very unique/dangerous team next year. Ideally I would like to see a team where Luka is the offensive initiator with 3 wing players (6'6" - 6'10") who can shoot and one front court player who can both defend the rim and shoot. Getting Porzingis is quite a coup because there aren't many front court players in the league who fit that last mold. A team like that would be impossible to match up with offensively.

Defense could be a problem because you need a wing player who could guard the quicker point guards on the other team. Obviously you have to hide Luka. Maybe I am crazy but I kind of like Finney-Smith as a potential starter next year. No data to back this up but he seems like a good defender, 34.5% from 3 and plays hard. Then use the Harrison Barnes money to get guys like Nikola Mirotic (36.8% from 3) and Marcus Morris (40.9% from 3). I would just argue that the idea the Mavs need a traditional PG is archaic. Put out a team where the shortest guy listed is 6'7" (Luka) and the worst 3 point shooter is at 34.5% (Dorian). That is a match up nightmare for anyone.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I agree that Klay would be a great fit.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol unfortunately Klay would fit on literally any team.
mavsfan4ever
AG
True. But he fits much better on a team that has a playmaker like Luka than on a team where he may be forced to create more because the team doesn't have a great playmaker.

But that's basically true for all non-ball dominant players.
Seven Costanza
AG
I agree that Middleton is a nice fit, but he likely opts out of his deal and resigns with Milwaukee for big money.

Brogdon seems like a good target. He's a restricted FA, but Milwaukee may not be willing to match a big offer, especially with resigning Middleton and Giannis set for a max contract in a couple of years.
MW03
AG
Klay Thompson seems like the best dude in the world. No apparent ego and satisfied with being a great match to Curry. Pippen only left Chicago when Jordan retired and Phil quit, and only then when he was traded to Houston with Barkley and Hakeem.

I dunno. I have a hard time picturing Thompson leaving Curry unless I'm just missing something about him. Surely GS wouldn't prioritize other guys with KD headed on after this season, right?
Seven Costanza
AG
26.3% chance of keeping the pick right now, with a 6% chance of #1. If you're on the side that wants to keep the pick, you want to see New Orleans, Miami, Memphis, Orlando, Minnesota, and Washington winning games.

rsf0626
This season is lost. Might as well start the tank now and hope to get a to 5 pick
chris1515
AG
For those dreaming about Giannis to the Mavs, go watch the 60 Minutes profile on him. He seems like a great guy and one that is probably going to be loyal to Milwaukee.

PooDoo
AG
Looks like Luka might needs to adjust his dribble moves a little bit. I think defenders are studying him pretty close.
PooDoo
AG
chris1515 said:

For those dreaming about Giannis to the Mavs, go watch the 60 Minutes profile on him. He seems like a great guy and one that is probably going to be loyal to Milwaukee.

LeBron left his hometown. KD had just about the same interview a couple of years before he left OKC.
alvtimes
Doc Rivers takes over the mic during Clip/Mavs game and calls for public acknowlegment of Dirk.... Dirk looked like he wanted a rock to crawl under!!! lol. Pretty cool moment!!!!
Iowaggie
AG
Alvarado Times said:

Doc Rivers takes over the mic during Clip/Mavs game and calls for public acknowlegment of Dirk.... Dirk looked like he wanted a rock to crawl under!!! lol. Pretty cool moment!!!!

Yeah, Doc had said he regretted not doing it for Wade ,but it was pretty impromptu but well done:

mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea that was about doc, not dirk. Dirk definitely wanted to become invisible.
True Anomaly
AG
4th triple-double for Luka! His last game as a teenager is Wednesday
COAg15
AG
it was cool, I suppose. Feels like the league is forcing Dirk into retirement. And yeah, he probably should, but he deserves to do whatever he feels like. If he wants one more year, let him not get pushed out.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea dirk had a quote after the game that was something like "I guess everyone is making the decision for me. We will see I guess."
94chem
chris1515 said:

Milwaukee's nice when it's not -80.
MW03
AG
I think the problem is that Dirk went on record about not telling anyone his plans because he didn't want the arena "let's give David Ortiz a pair of boots" tour. Meanwhile, the league wants to celebrate the guy, so they are guessing about it.

Dirk has never courted attention. Compare him to basically every other superstar that won a title. Dirk's first move was to run off the court and have a private moment of celebration in the tunnel.

That's Dirk. I think he wanted to slide away from the game without any fanfare. I don't think he's comfortable with it, regardless the circumstances.
MW03
AG
And to add to that, I understand both perspectives. But as a fan, I love watching the outpouring because I lived through 2000-2010 when the people celebrating the man now couldn't wait to tell you how soft he was, how he'd never get it done. Now they get it, and they're giving the man the respect he's been due since he beat Karl Malone's ass in 2001.
Grapesoda2525
Fun win tonight against the pacers.

I'm just focusing on watching these guys get better and see who wants to be on the team next year. Hopefully we can get a few wins against some of the teams coming up.
hph6203
AG
A guy not needing or wanting attention doesn't mean that he doesn't appreciate it when it comes his way. He said after the game he appreciated it and that it was emotional. To me he seemed more like a guy trying to hide from the attention, because he didn't want people to see him get emotional (same for his escape from the floor after the championship). For a guy that spent a large portion of his career getting called too soft to be truly great to have the entire league stop and say we appreciate what you did in this game has to be fulfilling and validating no matter how little you seek out attention. Not seeking recognition and receiving it anyway is a far greater compliment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.