****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,514 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
rsf0626
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good god the mavs are not good. This team would be one of the worst in the league without luka
mavsfan4ever
AG
At least Carlisle finally decided to play maxi. He had a great game.
M.C. Swag
AG
Yea but he didn't have much choice. DSJ & Dirk were out. Will be interested to see if Maxi keeps his minutes when those 2 return (he absolutely should).
True Anomaly
AG
It felt like such a weird game. Ayton had probably his worst game since turning pro. And it somehow felt like a real accomplishment to win this game- maybe it's because of dropping the first two to the Suns?
NoahAg
rsf0626 said:

Good god the mavs are not good. This team would be one of the worst in the league without luka
Insightful
Carlo4
AG
Other than the Suns, the West has been competitive this year.

Mavs are second to last in the conference but just 2-3 games out of the 8 seed. Crazy!
Seven Costanza
AG
It's amazing what Barea is able to do at his age and size.

You would think that Ryan Saunders could afford a decent haircut.
Danny Vermin
Doncic is so cold blooded.
rsf0626
JJ potentially tearing his achilles is devastating for this team. Hope to god its not that because it could be the end of his career. Dude is soooo important to this team
Danny Vermin
Getting Doncic and Brunson may end being the best draft ever.
mavsfan4ever
AG
So clutch. Praying it isn't jj's achilles. We are done if he's out for a long time.
fightinags2013
AG
I think Brunson will be able to fill in admirably... but he is no JJ.
Jj had to be in the top 5 6th men in the league. Maybe even top 3.
PatAg
AG
Im ready to see what Brunson can do with more minutes. I think he is ready. This also might end up getting some more lineup mixing going on too, which Carlisle already started doing the past few games.
rsf0626
If you saw how we played without JJ earlier this year you would understand why this is devastating. Mavs were awful without him. Brunson has to step up big time otherwise this season is about to tank
fightinags2013
AG
Lost (a bit) in the JJ injury is that Luka was incredible again last night. Those 7 points (and assist) down the stretch were grown man buckets.
PatAg
AG
rsf0626 said:

If you saw how we played without JJ earlier this year you would understand why this is devastating. Mavs were awful without him. Brunson has to step up big time otherwise this season is about to tank
We were also awful when JJ was playing poorly, Im aware of his importance. You can either wallow in misery, or look to the silver lining
COAg15
AG
It makes me really sad that this is potentially the end of JJ's great career. If it is, would y'all hang his number up in the rafters? I would. Guy was such a fighter for us in 2011.
PatAg
AG
COAg15 said:

It makes me really sad that this is potentially the end of JJ's great career. If it is, would y'all hang his number up in the rafters? I would. Guy was such a fighter for us in 2011.
I definitely would. Dirk, JET, and Barea. Marion borderline, he was actually here for a long time, but he was a pretty bigtime player for the Suns too.
True Anomaly
AG
PatAg said:

COAg15 said:

I definitely would. Dirk, JET, and Barea. Marion borderline, he was actually here for a long time, but he was a pretty bigtime player for the Suns too.
I think JJ should qualify as well, but the question is what number? He was 11 during the championship run, but when he returned to Dallas he was 5
Seven Costanza
AG
It's crazy how Curry hitting 10 3's is not really a big deal anymore.
fightinags2013
AG
Steph Curry has made 11 3s in a game for the seventh time in his career. The rest of the players in NBA history have combined to do that eight times.

-Tim MacMahon on Twitter
True Anomaly
AG
Seven Costanza said:

It's crazy how Curry hitting 10 3's is not really a big deal anymore.

It certainly didn't feel like a big deal last night. Honestly didn't know he went for 48 until we got back home. Just happy the Mavs were in it up until the very end
Grapesoda2525
How good must the Mavericks do this year to pay off the hawks for the doncic trade?

It's always good to get the deal over with and not let that crap linger on for years when you're the team on the hook.
Old Tom Morris
It's top 5 protected.
Grapesoda2525
Old Tom Morris said:

It's top 5 protected.
So basically finish better than 5 teams?
Old Tom Morris
Technically, although the lottery format of the draft order means the Mavs could finish outside of the bottom 5 but still end up with a pick in the top 5. Or they could finish in the bottom 5 but end up pushed out of the top 5 picks due to a team (or teams) below them jumping them in the order.

The historical lottery luck (or lack thereof) of the Mavs franchise pretty much says that whatever the worst that can happen with the lottery will happen. So standard Mavs luck would tell you that if they decided to tank and finish among the 5 worst teams, enough teams would end up jumping them in the lottery to push the pick to #6.
Carlo4
AG
Luka with a 29 point game. Now ranks 7th in clutch points and 3rd in FG% in clutch time, even with the bad showing last night.

Coach Kerr praised him several times post game. We were in it until the end against a great team... can't wait to see the continued learning/development of this team.
M.C. Swag
AG
PDEMDHC said:

Luka with a 29 point game. Now ranks 7th in clutch points and 3rd in FG% in clutch time, even with the bad showing last night.

Coach Kerr praised him several times post game. We were in it until the end against a great team... can't wait to see the continued learning/development of this team.
He scored 26. And bad showing? He played fairly well last night. Wasn't his best game, but 26/6/5 on Klay Thomspon is nothing to sneeze at.
Seven Costanza
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

How good must the Mavericks do this year to pay off the hawks for the doncic trade?

It's always good to get the deal over with and not let that crap linger on for years when you're the team on the hook.

The alternative way of looking at it is that by tanking the Mavs can increase their chances of getting a top 4 pick. Then next year if they're a playoff team, that pick is going to be in the 16-20 range. Being in this gray zone of "not a playoff team, but not a top 6ish lottery team" is probably going to result in us giving away a #8-12 pick (which isn't that bad, but I'd rather have a decent shot of a top 4 this year and give away a 16-20 next year). Unfortunately the East is awful, so getting into that top 6 range is going to be tough.
Grapesoda2525
Seven Costanza said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

The alternative way of looking at it is that by tanking the Mavs can increase their chances of getting a top 4 pick. Then next year if they're a playoff team, that pick is going to be in the 16-20 range. Being in this gray zone of "not a playoff team, but not a top 6ish lottery team" is probably going to result in us giving away a #8-12 pick (which isn't that bad, but I'd rather have a decent shot of a top 4 this year and give away a 16-20 next year). Unfortunately the East is awful, so getting into that top 6 range is going to be tough.
Draft this year is supposedly pretty weak. I'd rather wait for 2020
Carlo4
AG
M.C. Swag said:

PDEMDHC said:

He scored 26. And bad showing? He played fairly well last night. Wasn't his best game, but 26/6/5 on Klay Thomspon is nothing to sneeze at.
So a few things.

-I suck at math/typing. It was 26.
-I suck at writing. I was referring to the last 2 minutes of the game for his "bad showing", as in reference to how clutch Luka has been. He's been a great closer of games, but just didn't have it last night.

txjortsagent
AG
Per bleacher report, mavs are shopping DSJ to Orlando and Phoenix.

With barea out, it better be for point guards.
rsf0626
I dont know if I agree with trading DSJ...with barea out this team needs some depth at guard. It also seems way too early to give up on him. Has all star potential
PooDoo
AG
rsf0626 said:

I dont know if I agree with trading DSJ...with barea out this team needs some depth at guard. It also seems way too early to give up on him. Has all star potential
Depends what we get back of course
True Anomaly
AG
****ing ***** I just wanted a whole season to see them try and start to gel together

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.