****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,441 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
JW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KP will sign long term.
M.C. Swag
AG
Big if true
Seven Costanza
AG
What would a Barnes trade look like right now? Just a salary dump for some expiring contracts this summer?
mavsfan4ever
AG
That's what I would expect a Barnes trade to look like. Don't see how we get assets in return for him given his contract.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guys on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas just said KPs injury might have some meniscus 'fraying' in addition to the ACL tear. Apparently this isn't a huge deal, a player can still recover 100% from this injury but the difference is in the rehab. In these scenarios you have to allow the Meniscus to heal before you can put any pressure on your knee which essentially extends the traditional 9-12 month recovery window to 15-18 months. Thus the reason why KP won't be able to play this year.

Again, the guys continued to reiterate the fact that this type of injury isn't any more or less worrisome than a straight up ACL tear, it's just a matter of rehab timing. And an explanation for why KP likely won't play this season.
M.C. Swag
AG

Grapesoda2525
Any updated maverick trade buzz?

I guess we have another 48 hours or so.
M.C. Swag
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Any updated maverick trade buzz?

I guess we have another 48 hours or so.
In the latest Lowe podcast he's strongly monitoring a Barnes to Sacramento trade that is in the works.
My Dad Earl
AG
First look at KP in Mavs gear...

Grapesoda2525
Cuban is EXTREMELY confident that Porzingis is going to sign long term.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25925596/kristaps-porzingis-mark-cuban-talk-long-term-deal
M.C. Swag
AG
He was also extremely confident that this year is Dirks last (not a shocker but still sobering)
Grapesoda2525
I don't think they would've made the deal if they didn't like their chances of keeping him.
Seven Costanza
AG
M.C. Swag said:

In the latest Lowe podcast he's strongly monitoring a Barnes to Sacramento trade that is in the works.
The DSJ/Phil Jackson pre-draft story was something that I had not heard before. Apparently Jackson took DSJ out for a pre-draft dinner/interview and offered DSJ octopus. DSJ was disgusted and refused to eat it. Jackson was turned off by this and chose to draft Ntilikina instead.
BDR
AG
I could see this trade for Barnes.

Zach Randolph
Kostas Koufos
1st round pick

Barnes

The math works.
M.C. Swag
AG
BDR said:

I could see this trade for Barnes.

Zach Randolph
Kostas Koufos
1st round pick <--not happening

Barnes

The math works.
Id be shocked if we got any assets in a Barnes trade. The best we can hope for is an expiring deal to clear cap space.
NoahAg
Are the other new guys playing Wednesday?
Grapesoda2525
NoahAg said:

Are the other new guys playing Wednesday?
That's the plan.......

Unless they're traded again.
500,000ags
AG
Can anyone clarify this, Porzingis can: 1) Sign his qualifying offer and become an UFA in 2020; or 2) Not sign his qualifying offer and become a RFA this off-season?
M.C. Swag
AG
500,000ags said:

Can anyone clarify this, Porzingis can: 1) Sign his qualifying offer and become an UFA in 2020; or 2) Not sign his qualifying offer and become a RFA this off-season?

He can also sign an extension with the Mavs this summer. Those are his 3 options.
Seven Costanza
AG
This is correct. Sign a 1-year Qualifying Offer ($4.5MM) and become an Unrestricted Free Agent in Summer 2020.

Or become Restricted Free Agent this summer. Although with a player of his caliber, restricted free agency is just signing a long-term deal/extension with your own team since the home team would obviously match any deal (which would require him to stay with Dallas). RFA is dicier with a player like Finney-Smith because another team could offer him a deal that's too rich for what the Mavs would want to pay. No such thing exists for a guy like Porzingis since they would match any deal.
M.C. Swag
AG
Again, the third and most likely option is that he never reaches Free Agency and simply signs a max extension this summer.
Seven Costanza
AG
I agree, but it's semantics with a player like KP. Not signing a QO means he's signing a long term deal with the Mavs. There would be no reason for him to even bother with signing an offer sheet with another team in RFA.
M.C. Swag
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I agree, but it's semantics with a player like KP. Not signing a QO means he's signing a long term deal with the Mavs. There would be no reason for him to even bother with signing an offer sheet with another team in RFA.

It is an important caveat though. Offering KP the max before we even get a chance to see him play this season is a risky play for the Mavs. So while the net-net of offering a max vs going into RFA via QO will probably lead to the same result, it's without a doubt a "riskier" play.

And I just wanted to re-iterate the fact that players on expiring rookie deals can sign extensions the summer for their contract expires. Meaning the odds of KP ever sniffing Free Agency of any kind is low.
PooDoo
AG
You need to see him play? Lol.

His only question is health. Not being able to recover from this injury but overall durability.

The dude is the next evolution of Dirk. Taller, more athletic, with elite shot blocking. There is no question he is a max contract player.
PooDoo
AG
And by the way...

M.C. Swag
AG
PooDoo said:

You need to see him play? Lol.

His only question is health. Not being able to recover from this injury but overall durability.

The dude is the next evolution of Dirk. Taller, more athletic, with elite shot blocking. There is no question he is a max contract player.
...no, i never said that and I know exactly how good he is/can be. KP is going to be maxed by the Mavs and should be. The Mavs have already paid a steep price for him, so there's no point in NOT going all in on his health. There is about a 95% chance that he never enters free agency (restricted or otherwise) because he will sign the offer the Mavs put in front of him this summer.

What I am saying is that there is an inherent and OBVIOUS risk in all of this and it revolves around KP's health (as we all know). From the Mavs perspective, it is an inherently risky proposition to offer that much money to a player coming off a major injury without seeing how it impacts his play in a live NBA game setting. But it's one I'm already comfortable with them making.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I fully expect the Mavs to max him out this summer. They are already all-in on the risk, and it removes some risk for Porzingis. Both sides will be motivated to go ahead and lock it up.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Seven Costanza's point is that signing a Max with Dallas before he is a RFA and entering into RFA are the exact same things for the Mavericks and KP. With either of those options, he is signing a Max with Dallas 100% guaranteed (because if another team offers him Dallas will obviously match). So it's pointless for him to enter RFA unless he is signing the qualifying offer.

The only way he is not guaranteed to sign a max with Dallas is if he signs the QO and plays for low money next year. Given his injury history, the chance of that happening is very very low.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Seven Costanza's point is that signing a Max with Dallas before he is a RFA and entering into RFA are the exact same things for the Mavericks and KP. With either of those options, he is signing a Max with Dallas 100% guaranteed (because if another team offers him Dallas will obviously match). So it's pointless for him to enter RFA unless he is signing the qualifying offer.
I promise I'm not trying to be difficult and I agree with the spirit of what you're saying but there are 3 distinct options:

1) Sign QO enter 2020 as UFA
2) Don't sign QO enter 2020 as RFA
3) Sign extension this summer and avoid free agency all together

The difference between option 2 & 3, is that if KP looks like anything less than a max type player or suffers another major injury, the Mavs or any other team will be hesitant to offer that max that will currently be on the table.

--->The risk profile is what is different which may or may not lend itself to a different end result (KP signing a max deal with the Mavs vs signing a lesser deal). All of which points to what Danny said in that KP will be motivated to sign that extension and my point that this will all be moot by summertime.
500,000ags
AG
I assumed Porzingis waived his Bird exception in the trade since he didn't spend 3 full years with NY. However, that must not be correct, since Dallas can offer a super-max deal in 2020 per CBS Sports. Since Porzingis has the qualifying offer, he's likely weighing the option to sign a max extension this offseason, or risk the injury comeback and sign a super-max extension in 2020.
M.C. Swag
AG
500,000ags said:

I assumed Porzingis waived his Bird exception in the trade since he didn't spend 3 full years with NY. However, that must not be correct, since Dallas can offer a super-max deal in 2020 per CBS Sports. Since Porzingis has the qualifying offer, he's likely weighing the option to sign a max extension this offseason, or risk the injury comeback and sign a super-max extension in 2020.
I thought you had to be a 9/10 year vet to qualify for the super max?
M.C. Swag
AG
Yea, KP isn't eligible for a Super Max yet. He could be at the conclusion of his extension though since he was traded on his rookie deal. So that's another big time factor in favor of the Mavs keeping him. No one else will be able to offer him that deal.
PooDoo
AG
Doubt the team that signed Mathews after his Achilles is blinking at an ACL.

And thank God for that injury risk otherwise he would've never been traded.

He's so good he's worth a max deal even if you're only getting half a season out of him.

He only has to be healthy for 1 playoff run to make this deal payout.
M.C. Swag
AG
We're on the same page here.
Seven Costanza
AG
M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult and I agree with the spirit of what you're saying but there are 3 distinct options:

1) Sign QO enter 2020 as UFA
2) Don't sign QO enter 2020 as RFA
3) Sign extension this summer and avoid free agency all together

The difference between option 2 & 3, is that if KP looks like anything less than a max type player or suffers another major injury, the Mavs or any other team will be hesitant to offer that max that will currently be on the table.

--->The risk profile is what is different which may or may not lend itself to a different end result (KP signing a max deal with the Mavs vs signing a lesser deal). All of which points to what Danny said in that KP will be motivated to sign that extension and my point that this will all be moot by summertime.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but #2 is incorrect. He can decline the QO and become a RFA/sign extension this summer (which will mean he's a Mav long term). The risk for the Mavs is they will be signing him long term without seeing him return to action first. The risk for KP is that the Mavs might not be good.

Or he can take the one year QO and become unrestricted in 2020. The risk for KP is that he doesn't return to form and shows that he isn't worth a max after next season (or gets hurt again and never gets to sign a big valuable deal).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.