****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,468 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She's a liar. Period. She deserves jail time for this crap.
jeffdjohnson
This does have a Jussie Smollet-esque smell too it. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to verify if the "contract" contains KP's actual signature or not. If she forged it then this is over. If he signed it then he is the biggest idiot in the history of the world.
ramblin_ag02
AG
https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/kristaps-porzingis-rape-allegations-dallas-mavericks-new-york-knicks-231817050.html

According to this story the Mavs knew about an extortion attempt but not any rape allegations. That's pretty shoddy front office work if they had no idea. Giving up a 1st and DSJ and taking bad contracts just to release the star before he plays would be among the worst trades all time. If there fire behind this smoke then the Mavs are screwed for a long time
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fightinags2013
AG
Won't this whole thing be taken care of (legally at least) if a handwriting expert shows the letter that is being discussed to be a forgery? That won't be hard for a professional to see if it is/isn't KP's handwriting. The last name being spelled wrong is pretty damning...
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea, and the fact that she kept trying to hook up and hang out with him after the alleged incident is even more damning.

I'd be shocked if this is true.
Iowaggie
AG
Sometimes we only hear one side of the story, but even if I'm hearing only her side, it still seems like such a stretch.
M.C. Swag
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/kristaps-porzingis-rape-allegations-dallas-mavericks-new-york-knicks-231817050.html

According to this story the Mavs knew about an extortion attempt but not any rape allegations. That's pretty shoddy front office work if they had no idea. Giving up a 1st and DSJ and taking bad contracts just to release the star before he plays would be among the worst trades all time. If there fire behind this smoke then the Mavs are screwed for a long time
Well so far the latest reports are strongly suggesting that a rape never happened. So I dont really fault the mavs for failing to know about a criminal fabrication.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Except the rape allegation is the leverage for the extortion. So if they knew about the extortion but not the rape allegation, then they did exactly no research. Both the Knicks and the NBA knew the whole story before the trade.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
M.C. Swag
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Except the rape allegation is the leverage for the extortion. So if they knew about the extortion but not the rape allegation, then they did exactly no research. Both the Knicks and the NBA knew the whole story before the trade.

There is a difference though. Whether the Mavs knew the extortion attempt was related to a rape allegation or something else entirely isn't clear.

Either way, that's a tertiary concern to whether KP is or is not a rapist. As it stands today, the entire allegation has the appearance of a fabrication. We'll know more as the investigation fleshes out.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Fair enough. I was just floored that the Mavs are acting blindsided.
jeffdjohnson
ramblin_ag02 said:

This is accurate. The Mavs took a huge gamble here. They can't plead ignorance unless it is shown that the NYK actively lied to them. If the Mavs had bad intel and KP is somehow found guilty then Cuban should sell the team. Especially after the misconduct they already had within the organization. But based on what we know there is a good chance that KP will be exonerated, at which point people will quickly forget about this. Worst case is that the accuser accepts a buyout, so either way a potential guilty verdict seems very unlikely. That would be a bad look but it would blow over. Still, there is a lot riding on this for the Mavs and Cuban especially. I'm pretty shocked they made the trade given the circumstances, that is a lot of risk.
True Anomaly
AG
I think the Mavs knew everything. The heresay reports in media are parsing words at this point. I just don't believe that they didn't know about both the rape allegation in addition to the extortion attempt
Seven Costanza
AG
There was an article that stated that the two carried on a sexual relationship for many months after the alleged incident.

It seems strange to me that someone would say "sure you brutally raped me and all, but I'm okay with not talking about it if you give me $68k. Deal?"
Grapesoda2525
The mavs have actually been playing some pretty good ball lately.

I still want the season to end ASAP tho.
M.C. Swag
AG

I cannot stand DWade.
True Anomaly
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

The mavs have actually been playing some pretty good ball lately.

I still want the season to end ASAP tho.

Ditto. Tired of people actively rooting for them to lose
jeffdjohnson
I've been anti-tank (or at least tank agnostic) all year. It is not statistically likely that they will get to keep the pick regardless. But if they want to go ahead and lose the next 2 games to Memphis and pretty much assure themselves the 6th best odds, well I would support that.
MW03
AG
Simmed it 10 times and we kept the pick 3 times.
Seven Costanza
AG
If Atlanta wins 2 of the last 3 (a real possibility with how well they are playing and Milwaukee/Indiana might rest their players) and Dallas loses out, they will be tied for 5th worst. That would put the odds of keeping the pick at about 40% and odds of Zion at about 10%.
M.C. Swag
AG
It's not happening. We're playing Memphis 2x, the Suns, and then against the Spurs who by that point might not have anything to play for. I actually wouldn't be shocked if the Mavs win out.
Grapesoda2525
This tank talk is annoying AF now.

Season can't end soon enough.
Seven Costanza
AG
M.C. Swag said:

It's not happening. We're playing Memphis 2x, the Suns, and then against the Spurs who by that point might not have anything to play for. I actually wouldn't be shocked if the Mavs win out.
Probably not, but it's possible. Memphis has been playing well. The Suns have clinched the bottom 3 and can't improve their odds (although they are terrible). And the Spurs are locked in a tight race to get out of that 8 seed.
M.C. Swag
AG
Seven Costanza said:

M.C. Swag said:

Probably not, but it's possible. Memphis has been playing well. The Suns have clinched the bottom 3 and can't improve their odds (although they are terrible). And the Spurs are locked in a tight race to get out of that 8 seed.

At the end of the day, it'll be what it is. But Memphis has every reason to lose to us and reports just came out that the Suns are shutting down Devin Booker for the rest of the season. How meaningful that last game will be for the Spurs remains to be evident.
mavsfan4ever
AG
No Memphis wants to win I think. They want to convey their pick to Boston this year because it becomes unprotected in 2020 or 2021. So if they don't convey it this year, there is a chance they could be conveying the top pick in a couple years.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

No Memphis wants to win I think. They want to convey their pick to Boston this year because it becomes unprotected in 2020 or 2021. So if they don't convey it this year, there is a chance they could be conveying the top pick in a couple years.
Have you seen their lineups? They're playing guys I've literally never heard of (and I watch ALOT of NBA). Here's some names of dudes who played last night:
  • Yuta Watanbe
  • Burno Caboclo
  • DUSTY HANNAHS

Memphis is not playing NBA caliber players and has all the same appearances of an 'organic tank' team like the Mavs did last year when we were playing Kyle Collinsworth and Aaron Harrison lol.
Seven Costanza
AG
Bruno Caboclo is a pretty interesting prospect.
M.C. Swag
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Bruno Caboclo is a pretty interesting prospect.
he is? he's 23 and will turn 24 this summer. His days as a 'prospect' are pretty close to over.
Seven Costanza
AG
He is an intriguing late-developing player. Not saying that he will ever turn into anything, but there's still room for him to grow. Check him out when the Mavs play them.
M.C. Swag
AG
Seven Costanza said:

He is an intriguing late-developing player. Not saying that he will ever turn into anything, but there's still room for him to grow. Check him out when the Mavs play them.
I will definitely do so when I'm at the game tomorrow
mavsfan4ever
AG
I know they don't have much so they are playing some no names, but I've read that they want to convey it this year so there's not a chance it conveys unprotected. With their team, there is a legit chance they bink the top pick in 2021 and have to convey it. And they don't lose much top 5 equity at all from moving up in the standings some. So it's a win win, they keep almost all of their top 5 equity and decrease the chance of conveying a top pick in 2021. If that's the case, it makes sense that they've won some games and moved up in the standings the past month or so.

But no way to know for sure what they are thinking.

mavsfan4ever
AG
Anybody heard what they have planned for Dirk's last home game next Tuesday (assuming he retires)? I noticed they are now calling it "Dirk Appreciation Day."
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Anybody heard what they have planned for Dirk's last home game next Tuesday (assuming he retires)? I noticed they are now calling it "Dirk Appreciation Day."
They have announced at the last couple of games that there will be a post-game celebration in the arena on Tuesday, and specifically site that it's for Dirk. It has not been announced that it's a retirement celebration, but we're all reading between the lines
Grapesoda2525
True Anomaly said:

mavsfan4ever said:

They have announced at the last couple of games that there will be a post-game celebration in the arena on Tuesday, and specifically site that it's for Dirk. It has not been announced that it's a retirement celebration, but we're all reading between the lines
Ticket prices for the last home game against Phoenix are off the charts. Something is definitely up.
M.C. Swag
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

True Anomaly said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Ticket prices for the last home game against Phoenix are off the charts. Something is definitely up.
I can't give up my sources, but rumor has it that Dirk is considering retiring.
True Anomaly
AG
See y'all there!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.