****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,523 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I expect Dirk to play 10-15 min.
TDub
AG
jeffdjohnson
Iowaggie
AG
TheMasterplan
Epic sendoff. Damn Mark Cuban did a great job.

Thought Steve Nash would be there as well.

Hoping Pop and Duncan saw a few words tonight too.
M.C. Swag
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Epic sendoff. Damn Mark Cuban did a great job.

Thought Steve Nash would be there as well.

Hoping Pop and Duncan saw a few words tonight too.
Nash attended a game last week and said on the air that he couldn't make it to last night's game due to other work/family stuff.
kill0509
AG
Well dang, tonights game got moved to the local CBS affiliate in Dallas, KTXA 21. Was wanting to watch just one last game from the big guy against the Spurs.
Sports-Ag
AG
Spurs with a tribute video.

MW03
AG
Wow.
True Anomaly
AG
He finished with a double-double. And despite tearing up in the beginning, he seemed to have fun out there.
M.C. Swag
AG
That was a helluva tribute by SA. Class act.
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Last night was amazing. I'm still sorting through the emotions and part of me is desperately wishing for this all to be a bad dream and that I'll wake up any second and Dirk is nowhere close to RETIREMENT. The man has been in my life since I was 9 years old. I don't have a single basketball memory without him. Basketball is my favorite sport. Dirk is my favorite athlete. Those two have been married together for my entire cognitive life. How did 21 years feel this fleeting?

21 years! We will never see anything like that again. EVER. In ANY sport.

No one was ever more deserving of a night like last night than Dirk. Mavs basketball will never be the same.
Jake asked last night on the post-game show whether it's tougher for someone who was a long-time Mavs fan who has clear memories of the pre-Dirk era, or for someone who only remembers the Mavs with Dirk. As someone who has strong memories of going to games in the late 80's with the original scrappy team that took the Showtime Lakers to 7, it's a no-brainer, and you proved that. Losing something that's all you've ever known is tough.

LCE
AG
Good send off. I've seen many NBA polls saying SA has the most intelligent fans so no surprise
mavsfan4ever
AG
Well said. I can't imagine watching games next year without dirk. It's going to be very strange. Watching the game tonight, all I thought about is how it was the last time I'd be watching dirk in a Mavs uninform...something that has been a regular part of my life from October through April (or June) for the past 21 years. I still don't think it's fully hit me yet. That probably won't come until next season starts.

The good news is that we have Luka. But because I started watching dirk at a young age, even if Luka has an amazing career, I know it will never feel the same to me as dirk's career.

It sounds lame and over-dramatic, but dirk retiring feels like a big connection to my childhood/teenage years is retired as well (even though those years have been gone for a while now). He was a big part to a lot of excitement during those years, so even as I have grown older, Mavs basketball has always felt somewhat the same.

Great last two games. He went out the right way.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Wade's last game just shows how great dirk is. Wade was mic'd Up and says multiple times "I'm just trying to get a triple double, that's all I care about." What a dewsh.

The sad thing is that the national media is eating up wade's last couple of games and the fact he got the triple double. It's crazy that he's making national headlines and you have to really search to find stuff on dirk. But dirk honestly probably likes it better that way.

Iowaggie
AG
FWIW, Grizzlies, Mavs and Pelicans end up tied and each have a 26.2% odd to get into the top 4 (i.e. all 3 teams have the same lottery odds). The win last night moved their odds from 34.6% to get in top 4, to the 26.2%.

Coin flip(s?) to determine draft order otherwise. Pelicans want 7, Grizzlies want 9. It doesn't matter to Dallas.

mavsfan4ever
AG
Huge coin flip for grizzlies.
BSD
AG
I just got home to Houston after making the trip up last night for my first Dallas home game since 2007. I was a season ticket holder in Dirk's early years (I moved away in 2004 and actually kept them til 2007) and was fortunate enough to see Dirk play many many times, including just about every trip he made to Houston, and several big road playoff games. This game was in my top 3 games that I've been to, but obviously because of the more honorary nature of it. Throughout all the years, Dirk has been a true team player, a hard nosed competitor, and a gentleman. Every time he stepped on the court was special and I'm grateful to have witnessed so many games. I have so many memories watching Dirk play. I took my family to games, I took friends, I took dates, I took my wife...I was able to share those good times with so many people. Last night brought all those wonderful memories back. It's amazing to think that I was able to watch one of the greatest NBA players of all time for 21 years!!! It was an incredible experience to be there to honor Dirk last night and take that trip down memory lane. It sunk in today as I drove by AAC that it is indeed over, that the Dirk era has ended . But I sure do feel lucky to have been around for it. Hell, we all should.
Iowaggie
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Huge coin flip for grizzlies.

And the Celtics
Scotty Flamingo
M.C. Swag said:

Last night was amazing. I'm still sorting through the emotions and part of me is desperately wishing for this all to be a bad dream and that I'll wake up any second and Dirk is nowhere close to RETIREMENT. The man has been in my life since I was 9 years old. I don't have a single basketball memory without him. Basketball is my favorite sport. Dirk is my favorite athlete. Those two have been married together for my entire cognitive life. How did 21 years feel this fleeting?

21 years! We will never see anything like that again. EVER. In ANY sport.

No one was ever more deserving of a night like last night than Dirk. Mavs basketball will never be the same.

Man this post just hit me hard. I hadn't thought of it that way until now.
rsf0626
Same situation for me...Dirk has been on the team since I was 7 yrs old. Its all i've ever known with this franchise. Although we all knew it was going to come to an end sooner rather than later, the emotions of the whole ordeal are still raw and hard to process right now.
PatAg
AG
Honestly, I think for a lot of us it probably hasn't truly sunk in yet. We'll see how it is when the preseason starts and the actual season starts next year.
PatAg
AG
somewhat related, Dutch Oven repping the Dirk/Mavs gear during an interview
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/bbj6zz/derek_holland_taking_questions_after_pitching_for/
TheMasterplan
Sports-Ag said:

Where's the Manu And-1 highlight? LOL

I haven't lived in Dallas for awhile but caught them playing OKC the night before New Years and saw Dirk hit a couple threes. So glad to watch him this season.

I watched a little bit of the game today but since I'm overseas the time zone sucks. Had to keep working. It was good to see him hit a couple shots but man it was still really hard to watch!

I know Dirk's gone but I am really excited about the future. It does feel good that even though Dirk's leaving, the franchise will continue on. Smart move by Cuban and Carlisle as well to keep focusing on the future while also paying attention to Dirk.

So many good memories of Dirk.
mavsfan4ever
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Sports-Ag said:

Where's the Manu And-1 highlight? LOL

Haha I thought the same thing. That was the one highlight I was looking for.
M.C. Swag
AG
Apologies for the off-topic but just wanted to mention something about that 2011 championship...My favorite thing about that 2011 run was the weight it lifted off Dirk and Dirk fans shoulders. I remember when everyone was calling him soft, or a choker, and I felt the NEED to fight tooth and nail with everyone about Dirk's greatness. I can't tell you how many hours I spent arguing with my Houston friends about how good he was. They'd troll me and just **** on him every chance they got and I'd be unable to resist firing back in eager defense. That all changed after 2011.

That title run obliviated any shred of credibility a person who tried to trash talk Dirk had. Dirk haters became nothing to me. You don't waste time arguing with people who don't believe in gravity because those people are just crazy. That's what that title did for me and thousands of other MFFLs. It put Dirks greatness into the same category as the laws of nature itself.

And now I'm just so happy and grateful it allowed the NBA world to shower Dirk with the same love we've had for 21 years.

God bless that man.
BSD
AG
FWIW, Dirk's jersey has already been retired at my house.

Grapesoda2525
Last night was fun, even spurs fans were cheering for Dirk and I didn't care if we won or lost at all.
fightinags2013
AG
So begins day one AD (After Dirk).

It's helping me a bit to know we have a solid core to build around with Luka/KP. This would be harder if we had the roster from 2 years ago.
jeffdjohnson
The nostalgia makes me feel a bit sad that Dirk is leaving, but I would feel much worse if he wasn't passing the torch to Luka/Porzingis. He could have been passing the torch to DSJ/Wendell Carter. So instead of being sad that Dirk is heading out I am optimistic. It makes it easy to think about both when Dirk was at his greatest and the greatness that the Mavs can get back to in the next few years. In the DSJ/Carter scenario I would probably just be thinking about how Dirk was the worst player in the NBA this year and that there isn't much to be excited about next year. Dark thoughts.

It was a pretty fun start to the year. The Mavs played very well at home to start. I think next year the Mavs will be in the playoff mix and play great at the AAC. I don't think people appreciate how much change there is about to be in the Western Conference in the next three or so seasons. Consider this, only 3 of the WC all star selections will be under the age of 29 when next season starts. The teams and players that have run the West will be aging out over the next few years. I don't think the Mavs will be able to sign a superstar (KD, Kawahi, etc...) but should be able to find 2-3 starters (read shooters) that fit around Luka. Hopefully they don't hand out any dumb contracts.

Final thought is that the Mavs have a 6% chance at the number 1 pick. That is always a valuable pick but this year it has particular importance for the Mavs. It is hard to win a championship, there are 30 teams vying for this thing after all. But the Mavs have a 1 in 16 chance to pair Luka/Zion/Porzingis together for the next 10 years. That isn't just worth one championship. That is a dynasty. I'm not suggesting to hold your breath on that one, but it is in play.
Grapesoda2525
jeffdjohnson said:

The nostalgia makes me feel a bit sad that Dirk is leaving, but I would feel much worse if he wasn't passing the torch to Luka/Porzingis. He could have been passing the torch to DSJ/Wendell Carter. So instead of being sad that Dirk is heading out I am optimistic. It makes it easy to think about both when Dirk was at his greatest and the greatness that the Mavs can get back to in the next few years. In the DSJ/Carter scenario I would probably just be thinking about how Dirk was the worst player in the NBA this year and that there isn't much to be excited about next year. Dark thoughts.

It was a pretty fun start to the year. The Mavs played very well at home to start. I think next year the Mavs will be in the playoff mix and play great at the AAC. I don't think people appreciate how much change there is about to be in the Western Conference in the next three or so seasons. Consider this, only 3 of the WC all star selections will be under the age of 29 when next season starts. The teams and players that have run the West will be aging out over the next few years. I don't think the Mavs will be able to sign a superstar (KD, Kawahi, etc...) but should be able to find 2-3 starters (read shooters) that fit around Luka. Hopefully they don't hand out any dumb contracts.

Final thought is that the Mavs have a 6% chance at the number 1 pick. That is always a valuable pick but this year it has particular importance for the Mavs. It is hard to win a championship, there are 30 teams vying for this thing after all. But the Mavs have a 1 in 16 chance to pair Luka/Zion/Porzingis together for the next 10 years. That isn't just worth one championship. That is a dynasty. I'm not suggesting to hold your breath on that one, but it is in play.
The west needs some change.

I'm sick of all the good teams being in the west and the east being weak as hell.
flashplayer
AG
Dirk is an all time great. Glad I got to watch his entire career. Hope he has a wonderful life in retirement. Much respect from this old glory days Spurs fan.

I was yelling for him after that last shot. Very poetic way to end it knocking one down with a guy all over him.
TheMasterplan
flashplayer said:

Dirk is an all time great. Glad I got to watch his entire career. Hope he has a wonderful life in retirement. Much respect from this old glory days Spurs fan.

I was yelling for him after that last shot. Very poetic way to end it knocking one down with a guy all over him.
Yeah...it was a nice ending.

As for a guy all over him, I'm pretty sure popovich was yelling at his defender to back up a bit LOL. And he started clapping afterwards.
hph6203
AG
My favorite thing about it is that Dirk was the lone all-star on that team, he went on to beat Kobe (MVP), Durant (MVP), Westbrook (MVP), Harden (MVP), Lebron (MVP), Wade (Finals MVP), Bosh (11x all-star), and especially Gasol, because I remember days where people would legitimately ask whether Pau was a better player than Dirk.

You can't argue that Dirk was carried, you can't argue that the competition he faced was weak, you can't make any argument about that championship run other than it was an all-time great player completing one of the all-time great playoff runs.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol that too was also awesome. Beating Miami on their court was another one. It was just a great run that shut down any and all haters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.