****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,491 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow!
TMACsDaMan
Hope Porzingis can get back to his pre knee injury production. If he can do that...the Eastern European hotties groupies will be overflowing at the AAC!!!
jeffdjohnson
DeAndre and Wes Mathews contracts would have given the Mavs $37M to play with in the off season. Instead they have to eat $29M worth of Hardaway/Courtney Lee for next year. Hardaway might be salvageable as a player. Overpaid but maybe not massively so. Courtney Lee stinks but will be expiring next off season just like Barnes and Powell. Those 3 will free up $45M next off season (summer of 2020). That keeps the Mavs pretty flexible.

What exactly are the Mavs risking here? It is all about KP's health. Huge home run if he holds up. You only lose another 1st round pick and the ability so sign someone (Cousins?) in the off season. This was a no brainer.
mntamu23
Why are people bumping the rockets thread over this one? This Porzingis trade is kind of a huge deal.
mavsfan4ever
AG
The only downside to this deal is if Staps has health problems or if we don't sign him for some reason long term. I'm more than willing to take that risk. We aren't giving up much of anything in the deal.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Because a division rival just landed one of the league's best players under 25 to pair with another one of league's best players under 25?????
mavsfan4ever
AG
I read a tweet that said Staps is planning on signing the Qualifying Offer in restricted free agency this summer. Who knows if it has any truth to it, but that would certainly put a damper on the deal if that happens. Still love the deal though.
True Anomaly
AG
Hilarious that the Knicks end up getting DSJ in the end anyway after the 2017 draft screw-up
MW03
AG
Zinger + Luka + 45M to spend in 2020? Come on. It's a gamble on Zinger's knee, but not that huge considering what you gave up. Weren't going to resign DJ, and DSJ had all time low value last week, ripped a triple double at the garden, and then got spun into arguably the best center under 25 in the league. That's a win any freaking way you slice it.

jeffdjohnson
mavsfan4ever said:

I read a tweet that said Staps is planning on signing the Qualifying Offer in restricted free agency this summer. Who knows if it has any truth to it, but that would certainly put a damper on the deal if that happens. Still love the deal though.

Maybe if he had stayed in NYC. I can't imagine it now. Mavs will offer him a max at the first opportunity. He is restricted coming off an ACL injury. He is friends with Doncic. They want to pair up. He will take the max.
Carlo4
AG
Next trade: Lee and Barnes for ???
Carlo4
AG
Also, should we change the picture in the OP?
mavsfan4ever
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Maybe if he had stayed in NYC. I can't imagine it now. Mavs will offer him a max at the first opportunity. He is restricted coming off an ACL injury. He is friends with Doncic. They want to pair up. He will take the max.
The tweet was after the trade was announced. It said he was informing Mavs that that was his plan. It's still obviously worth the risk, and the tweet may be complete BS.
2wealfth Man
AG
Yeah, I think resigning Kristaps to a max deal won't be that big of an issue with Luka around. They pair together skill wise so damn well.
MW03
AG
PDEMDHC said:

Next trade: Lee and Barnes for ???

Phat32
AG
This could be epic if he heals up okay. Doncic is 19 and Zing is 23.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
A torn ACL in 2019 is much different than a torn ACL in 1999. I would be shocked if he's not back to 100% in the next year.
Carlo4
AG
Any idea when he might play again? I see he's working out 1 hour a day on the court.
jeffdjohnson
mavsfan4ever said:

jeffdjohnson said:

mavsfan4ever said:

The tweet was after the trade was announced. It said he was informing Mavs that that was his plan. It's still obviously worth the risk, and the tweet may be complete BS.

I'm not saying he won't sign a qualifying offer, it is too early to say. But I wouldn't sweat that, mainly because of Luka.
Phat32
AG
By all reports, the Mavs are a great organization and players love playing here.

However, all it takes is one phone call from LeBron these days...
rsf0626
Any chance Kristaps plays this year?
rsf0626
chris1515
AG
As much potential as DSJ has, really good point guards are not in short supply.

7'3" guys as talented as Porzingis are truly "unicorns".

We all know how valuable Maverick's free agency cap room has been in the past...spoiler alert...not very. So postponing this another year is fine.

I love this trade.

My boss is from NY and he is steamed about how the Knicks got ripped off.
aggie_fan13
AG
spurs fan here, glad yall got porzingis if not us. luka and him will be fun to watch. here's to making sure houston sucks. cheers boys'
some men you just cant reach ...
MW03
AG
I think at some point, Carlisle realized he really found 6'7 PG and DSJ became superfluous. A good player with great potential, but a luxury that could be spent. Just didn't think it could be spent on Zinger. Yikes.
TheMasterplan
When was the last time the Mavs made a blockbuster trade like this? Erick Dampier? Jason Kidd second time around?
fretyuioz
The Jason Kidd trade in 08
COAg15
AG
The two first round picks hurts. But hopefully they're far out enough to where the picks are worthless because we're good again!

Some called the Rondo trade a blockbuster.
hph6203
AG
Am I wrong? If Porzingis does sign his qualifying offer, then the Mavs will have 23 million in cap space this off season with these contracts (Projected cap 109 million):

Harrison Barnes 25.1
Hardaway Jr 18.2
Lee 12.8
Powell 10.3
Luka 7.7
Porzingis 7.5
Brunson 1.4
Broekhoff 1.4
Spalding 1.4
Total: 85.8

If the Mavs spend all of that the worst case scenario is they'll have a 2020/21 season obligation of

2019 Cap Spend 24.9
Porzingis 29.5
Hardaway Jr 18.2
Luka 7.7
Brunson 1.4
Broekhoff 1.4
Spalding 1.4
Total: 84.5

Cap is projected to be 118, so the Mavs may be able to sign two max players (Porzingis and someone) in 2020/2021 free agency period, because you're losing Barnes' 25.1 mil, Lee's 12.7 mil, Powell's 10.2 mil, cap increase of 9 million, that's 57 million in cap increases and replacing Porzingis' 7.5 mil with a 29.5 mil deal (so only 22 mil more against the cap).

So ideally this off-season you'd want to see the Mavs go sign some role players looking towards the 2020/2021 season as their season to start to creep into championship caliber. Porzingis would be 25, Luka would be 22 and you'd have a 7 year window of putting pieces around those two plus whatever max guy you add to them to win a championship.
Seven Costanza
AG
Wow, this was unexpected. It's risky if Porzingis isn't the same player and/or doesn't resign with the Mavs, but ACL recoveries are pretty routine these days and he seems like the type that doesn't necessarily need to be in LA/Miami/NY. I think Hardaway can be a really good complementary player. His shooting percentages are low because he was expected to the be creator this year, so all of the "end of the shot clock low-percentage shots" were his to take. I think he can be good in his new role. Plays good defense too, if I'm not mistaken.

DSJ had a great game last night, but I think he's a project. His two assets are being a freakish athlete and finishing well at the basket. Other than that, he can't shoot, can't handle the ball, doesn't seem to have a great feel for the game, and generally makes poor decisions.

Excited to see more playing time for Maxi, Powell, and Brunson too.
True Anomaly
AG
azulAg said:

spurs fan here, glad yall got porzingis if not us. luka and him will be fun to watch. here's to making sure houston sucks. cheers boys'

If there's one thing we can agree on, it's definitely Rockets failure
Olsen
AG
Dirk, Luka, and Portzingis on the same team all together.
Seven Costanza
AG
Speculation on the "emergency" Bill Simmons podcast that Porzingis requested the trade because he's ready to play and the Knicks asked him to stay out for the rest of the season to continue tanking.

M.C. Swag
AG
I've been out of pocket with work this afternoon but damn....this is such a ballsy move. I'm as big of a DSJ fan as you'll find on this board (just look at post history), but I never thought we could trade him for a guy like PorzinGOD.

This is just one of those moves you have to make. Luka is the future and you don't have 8 years to slowly build anymore. And the picks don't really bother me because the earliest they can convey is 2021. So 1 way or the other, the Mavs are guaranteed a pick this year or next year. So by 2021, we should 100% be a playoff team and the pick will be worthless.

Also it's insane to me the repercussions that passing up on DSJ has had for the Knicks. They had a chance to draft him but instead took Frankie Smokes. This trade essentially concedes they took the wrong guy and it cost them KP. If they don't get KD this summer or strike out on Zion...this whole thing could be an unmitigated disaster.

As for the other pieces; I hate Tim Hardaway and his contract but at least it's only 2 years left. Courtney Lee is 'meh.' I actually kinda like Burke. He's a bit of a spark plug and is also really young. I'm excited to see Carlisle work his 'guard' magic and see what he can do with him.

Overall this is a helluva deal. Gotta tip my cap to Donnie Nelson (aka GM of the Year).
M.C. Swag
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Speculation on the "emergency" Bill Simmons podcast that Porzingis requested the trade because he's ready to play and the Knicks asked him to stay out for the rest of the season to continue tanking.

Things are about to get wild if KP comes back and is even close to what he was pre-injury
hph6203
AG
Mavs should have the cap space in every free agency period from now until the last year of Luka's rookie deal.

23 million this off-season
60 million the following off-season if all of that carries over (29.5 million will be going to Porzingis if they can resign him)
17 million the following off-season if all of the previous two years carries over.

They have the room to make up for the lack of picks, which should be lower 1st round picks after this season anyway. Assuming Porzingis comes back healthy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.