****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

107,354 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
True Anomaly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

It's time. Can't remember being this excited about a season in many years- it definitely tops the hype around 2014-15 since we've got ourselves amazing talent that we actually drafted. Add to the fact that it's likely Dirk's last season, and this is as much a landmark season as any non-championship year.

Starting lineup still projects to be:

Dennis Smith Jr
Luka Doncic
Wes Matthews
Harrison Barnes (may miss the first game, but that should be it)
DeAndre Jordan
M.C. Swag
AG
IN! Got my season tix! Lets do this!!
fightinags2013
AG
So exited. Hope they can get off to a .500 start for the first few weeks. China trip has not been friendly to previous teams who have done it.
PatAg
AG
Post is correctly titled, lets do this
PooDoo
AG
This team is going to struggle on the boards when Jordan is on the bench.
jeffdjohnson
The most important thing is that Luka plays as advertised and DSJ takes a mini-leap. It is crazy how competitive the West is looking next year. Going into the last 15 games of the season the Mavs may be within both 5 games of the playoffs and 5 games of the 5th worst record in the league. The Mavs pick is top 5 protected. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
PooDoo
AG
This team is way better than a top 5 pick. Especially with RC coaching.
PatAg
AG
We want to be giving them that pick next draft.
True Anomaly
AG
It's way hard to predict where the Mavs will end up at the end of the season standings-wise, but my only hope is that we get off that pick this next offseason
M.C. Swag
AG
Things would truly have to go off the rails for the Mavs to be a bottom 5 team.

I've watched ever minute of Mavs pre season and I honestly think this is a 40 win team, easy, if everyone stays healthy. Ain't no way we're bottoming out.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I think we have the talent of what would typically be a 40+ win team. But the west is so loaded this year that I have a hard time seeing where the wins will come from. But we will be entertaining and will have some hope for the future for a change, so I don't really care how many wins we get as long as dsj and doncic look great.
M.C. Swag
AG
I just think the Mavs will be better coached than most teams and with Luka in the lineup, our starting 5 will have some crazy flexibility on offense and defense. I don't think we win enough to compete for the 8th seed but outside of GS or Boston, I'm not sure any team can pencil a "W" on their schedule against Dallas either. Gonna be a fun season!
jeffdjohnson
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-nba-predictions/

Analytics don't love the Mavs (6th worst team) but as Nate Silver pointed out Vegas is projecting 36 wins. I don't think the Mavs finish in the bottom 5 (unless they win the lottery) but there appears to be a glut of good teams in the West which will keep the Mavs record down. Should be an entertaining year, anything between 30 - 40 wins wouldn't surprise me. The pick is a sunk cost at this point. Ultimately we want to go for the playoffs, hope that Luka/DSJ show something and let the chips fall.
94chem
A small detail that I don't know how many people noticed: DeAndre Jordan shot 58% from the line last season. He is a 45% career shooter, and shot 48% in 2016-17. This is a remarkable improvement. In addition, he also hit a career high in rebounds. He may be past the "human freak" stage of his career as a shot-blocker and dunker, but as an overall player at age 29, he appears to be in the middle of his prime. He has missed 13 games over the past 8 seasons.
M.C. Swag
AG
He looked dominant in action against the Hornets last saturday (i know, it's pre-season, and it's the hornets). The Mavs have never had a center with his athleticism before and i cant wait to see lob city dunks from Luka. He's gonna put up some huge numbers in this offense (thinking like 20 rebounds/game type stuff).
COAg15
AG
PooDoo
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
PooDoo said:

That's amazing lolol
TempleAg97
AG
Can't wait for tonight! It's going to be a fun season!
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm tempted to go big on Mavs +1 tonight. I'll probably try to hold out just so I can enjoy the Doncic experience without a big bet on the line.
gigem1223
The pick and roll game with Doncic/ Smith and Deandre isn't fair. Need to start hitting some shots though.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Halfway thru the first quarter of the first game of his NBA career and Doncic has already assembled a highlight reel. This team just needs to figure out how to play D.
JW
AG
Doncic looks legit.
gigem1223
Matthews sucks
Blindside05
AG
Smith is struggling tonight
gigem1223
Been pretty bad defensively, but if we could hit a jumper or not miss lay-ups this could be at least a tie game.
gigem1223
3/18 from 3
PatAg
AG
18-33 from 3
MW03
AG
Had fun watching tonight despite Booker. It's gonna be an entertaining year.
True Anomaly
AG
Wes had the most minutes on the team. BAD. And he took the very first shot. Out of all the guys in the starting lineup, I want him to be the last option for scoring- and yes, that includes Finney-Smith
M.C. Swag
AG
Wes is Wes. The most disappointing player, to me, was DSJ. His overall defensive effort (or lack thereof) was borderline alarming. He looked lost, disengaged, and almost appeared to willingly allow Suns to take uncontested 3s.

And then his shot selection...he needs to improve working within the flow of an offense and forcing up less shots.

Luka needs better conditioning. He disappeared after the first quarter. Other than that, he looked fine. The shots will drop; it was just one of those nights.

My man Powell and Kleber looked great. That's promising.

Desperately need Barnes back (both offensively and defensively).
jeffdjohnson
I don't want overreact but DSJ... It was like all of his worst traits from last year became magnified. Pull up 3 pointers from DSJ are a bad shot and yet he still takes them. He gets to the rim at will but still can't finish. He tried to add a floater to his game (good idea) but missed all of them. He really needs a good game on Saturday at home. The only reason the game was close in the 4th quarter was because of Powell and JJB. Not a sentence I want to have to write again.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Same thoughts on DSJ. I don't want to overreact, but definitely some concerning signs on decision making and defense. Solid rookie campaign but need a sizeable step forward this year. Last night showed no signs of that.
PatAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Wes is Wes. The most disappointing player, to me, was DSJ. His overall defensive effort (or lack thereof) was borderline alarming. He looked lost, disengaged, and almost appeared to willingly allow Suns to take uncontested 3s.

And then his shot selection...he needs to improve working within the flow of an offense and forcing up less shots.

Luka needs better conditioning. He disappeared after the first quarter. Other than that, he looked fine. The shots will drop; it was just one of those nights.

My man Powell and Kleber looked great. That's promising.

Desperately need Barnes back (both offensively and defensively).
Disagree about Luka, maybe you are confused because he had to sit because of fouls for so long
MW03
AG
DSJ had one of his worst nights ever, but I don't think that's indicative of anything troublesome. Luka looked as good as advertised in stretches despite a shoddy night shooting. I know Carlisle said he's played in big games, and that's certainly true. That being said, I think your first ever NBA game is a unique moment and I don't blame him for shooting tight. The good news is that even with that pressure, he still looked in his element.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.