****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,545 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guess the Mavericks took tonight's game off and started the New Years Party early.

Oh well at least they split with the thunder.
PatAg
AG

finally a good road win
Saint Pablo
Carlo4
AG
About 5 min left in the game, the fans left started chanting to bring Dirk back on the floor. He stood up and signaled the crowd and got a huge ovation.

That was pretty awesome!
COAg15
AG
No Kyrie tonight. Hopefully we can snag another road win!
Danny Vermin
It's amazing how bad we are in the road.

In other news , I met the CEO Cynthia Marshall tonight and she was really nice and down to earth. She sees us resigning DJ as he has told her this is the most fun he's ever had playing basketball.
M.C. Swag
AG
Anyone care to guess what is going on with Maxi Kleber? Dude has disappeared from the rotations entirely the past 2 games.
PatAg
AG
Could be something injury related that's not enough to go on IR
Never really know with Carlisle, but I have never watched Kleber and thought he was playing bad or lacking effort
M.C. Swag
AG
Its not injury related I don't think cuz he did play against Charlotte but it wasn't until the game was already decided. It's as if he's playing Broehkoffs minutes now and Dirk has replaced all of Maxi's. I truly don't understand it. Kleber is one of our most productive players. He should be starting over Wes imo.
PatAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Its not injury related I don't think cuz he did play against Charlotte but it wasn't until the game was already decided. It's as if he's playing Broehkoffs minutes now and Dirk has replaced all of Maxi's. I truly don't understand it. Kleber is one of our most productive players. He should be starting over Wes imo.

Well Kleber was playing with the starters for a couple games when Dirk was with the bench team. I don't get it personally
Galborathelion
This team just needs more consistent defense, they are always falling into a hole whenever there's a stretch of missed baskets. It's strange because on paper, you've got Jr who has looked incredible on defense (esp considering last year), Wes and Barnes who have both been known as positive defenders their whole career, DJ who has a defensive MVP award, and Luka who actually isn't as much of a sieve as he was advertised... Yet the defense is downright putrid at times.

I'd really like to see Kleber play the 4 in the starting lineup again because I think it opens up a lot of doors, besides the obvious benefit of having a top 5 defensive rating player in the lineup (probably inflated from small sample size, but still). For one, this let's Barnes play his natural 3, which I've thought he looks more comfortable in - he made his name as a rising 3&D star on the Warriors as a 3 and I'm willing to bet his size over other 3s was the main reason for that. Second, I think DJ isn't the same kind of defensive anchor as he could be next to another physical big. Next to Blake Griffin, he was able to park in the paint and go for blocks while BG handled things like help D and positioning that DJ just isn't incredible at. Kleber could fill this role imo.

This means we'd need to move either Jr or Wes to the bench, and there's an argument for either. Wes has had time with that unit and has looked pretty good too, but Jr is so unpredictable on a night to night basis and is still very much a work in progress. You obviously want to give him time next to Luka to figure things out, but Wes has been an ideal role player since those first 2 (BAD) weeks. I actually like the idea of Jr joining the bench lineup of Barea, Harris, Powell and Dirk, as he would naturally fit where Yogi was last year in what was one of the league's statistically best lineups. He can obviously still play a lot with the current starting lineup too.

The mystery of this all is Kleber's inconsistent playing time. I would like to think it's an undisclosed injury issue, considering how he passes the eye test and stats test with flying colors. Sorry for the essay, just ranting while the cowboys game ends.

tldr: help us Maxi Kleber, you're our only hope
PatAg
AG
Wes is a great role player for stretches, then he forgets that he ruptured his achilles and tries to do too much for stretches.
M.C. Swag
AG
Maxi should start. At this point it's not a debate. He's the best rim protector this team has and at least the second best rebounder.

Wes is on an expiring deal and is easily the most expendable player. He should be moved to the second unit. I still have faith in DSJ. He works too hard and has too much talent to fail.
True Anomaly
AG
If DeAndre continues to be sporadic at guarding the paint, Maxi would love to help, making him fit in the starting lineup
True Anomaly
AG
Just in case anyone still has a problem with Barnes, just remember it could've been much worse

mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

This was my fear when dirk came back and unfortunately my fear has turned into reality. I really don't get it either. Maxi should get much more playing time.
jeffdjohnson
The biggest question for the Mavs right now is how (if) they will use the Wes Mathews/DeAndre Jordan expiring chips. The Mavs don't have their draft pick* but still have trades and free agency to improve their team. The overpaid Otto Porter Jr. might be an example of the type of move the Mavs could make here.

Don't get me wrong, this team as constructed could still make the playoffs. It is doubtful but possible. Clearly though this team isn't a threat in the West, so making a trade now with next year in mind would be the right thing to do. Anyways, making the playoffs this year isn't the most important thing, it would just be a nice surprise. The most important thing was determining if Luka was the right guy to build around (emphatic yes). The second most important thing was determining if DSJ could make a leap/play with Luka (outlook cloudy). The third most important thing was using those expiring chips to improve the team by absorbing contracts.

For the rest of the year I want to see DSJ continue to get 30+ minutes per game so that the Mavs can make a decision on him in the offseason. It is too early for DSJ hot takes, I don't want to see a DSJ trade, just his end of season stats. I do want to see a Mathews and/or Jordan trade with next season in mind. And I really want to see Dirk have a few throw back 15 point games in his last year. That Boston game was depressing.

*I have to point out that the Mavs could have up to a 26% chance of keeping their pick and a 6% shot at Zion if they want to pull a late season (late March/early April) mini-tank. The West is such a pile-up that being the 2nd worst West team would take almost no effort (currently 0.5 games ahead of NOLA for that spot). That would get you into the 8th spot for lottery pecking order. Why mention this? I think I am just trying to speak Zion + Luka into existence. Or even better, trade Zion + DSJ to NOLA for Anthony Davis.
M.C. Swag
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

The biggest question for the Mavs right now is how (if) they will use the Wes Mathews/DeAndre Jordan expiring chips. The Mavs don't have their draft pick* but still have trades and free agency to improve their team. The overpaid Otto Porter Jr. might be an example of the type of move the Mavs could make here.

Don't get me wrong, this team as constructed could still make the playoffs. It is doubtful but possible. Clearly though this team isn't a threat in the West, so making a trade now with next year in mind would be the right thing to do. Anyways, making the playoffs this year isn't the most important thing, it would just be a nice surprise. The most important thing was determining if Luka was the right guy to build around (emphatic yes). The second most important thing was determining if DSJ could make a leap/play with Luka (outlook cloudy). The third most important thing was using those expiring chips to improve the team by absorbing contracts.

For the rest of the year I want to see DSJ continue to get 30+ minutes per game so that the Mavs can make a decision on him in the offseason. It is too early for DSJ hot takes, I don't want to see a DSJ trade, just his end of season stats. I do want to see a Mathews and/or Jordan trade with next season in mind. And I really want to see Dirk have a few throw back 15 point games in his last year. That Boston game was depressing.

*I have to point out that the Mavs could have up to a 26% chance of keeping their pick and a 6% shot at Zion if they want to pull a late season (late March/early April) mini-tank. The West is such a pile-up that being the 2nd worst West team would take almost no effort (currently 0.5 games ahead of NOLA for that spot). That would get you into the 8th spot for lottery pecking order. Why mention this? I think I am just trying to speak Zion + Luka into existence. Or even better, trade Zion + DSJ to NOLA for Anthony Davis.
Agree with your outlook. I want heavy DSJ+Luka+Kleber+DFS minutes. These are players that absolutely should have a future with the Mavs. I want to see how they gel.

I also want to see Spalding get a call up but that won't happen until after Dirk retires.

I think Deandre Jordan is the most intriguing player decision. I'm so torn on him. On one hand he's the most frustrating player I've had to watch. His effort level is well documented and clearly a problem. On the other hand, we can't deny he's a rebounding machine. Do y'all remember the days when Dallas would get routinely out-rebounded by a margin of 20 on a nightly basis? I do, and I'm not quick to go back to those days. So what Dallas does with DJ largely depends on what's out there in terms of replacement options:

Unrestricted Free Agents:
  • Demarcus Cousins
  • Deandre Jordan
  • Nikola Vucevic
  • Enes Kanter

Unrestricted Free Agents (w/Player Option):
  • Al Horford (30 mil option, may not opt out)
  • Marc Gasol (25 mil option, may not opt out)
  • Julius Randle (9 mil option, will opt out)
  • Hassan Whiteside (27 mil option, likely opt out)
  • Jonas Valanciunas (18 mil option, likely opt out)

Restricted:
  • Nikola Mirotic

That's it. Those are your replacement options and I don't see a clear cut upgrade amongst any of them. Boogie's health concerns aside, I've already gone on record as saying I don't want him around my franchise. I don't think he's a coaches player and I see no scenario where he and Carlisle get along.

Vucevic is an eye of the beholder player, but either way you slice it he's not a rebounder or rim roller. Is his style complimentary to Luka's? Up for debate I'd say.

The only player you could really talk me into is Julius Randle but that might be because he's destroyed the Mavs every game they've played this season. I have actually no idea how good he really is.

Personally....I think I'd re-sign DJ. I won't be necessarily happy about it but I could live with it. And obviously the finances have to be right. No way I'm giving him a 4yr-$80m deal. I think at most I could swallow a 3 for 54? Idk what the number is but I want the deal under 4 years. I want as much flexibility as I can going into the last 2 years of Luka's rookie deal. Whatever happens, we need our C position solidified by 2022.
Post removed:
by user
chris1515
AG
Great post. I think I agree with it all.

I'm a big fan of tanking for draft position when you are obviously not in contention for the championship. But I get the feeling this years draft is a very very shallow talent pool. Is it worth that risk to get stuck with #3 or 4 and not Zion, and then get left out next year? Isn't next year supposed to be the loaded draft?

And yes, play the heck out of DSJ. See how he develops. Find out what he really is. I think he could be one of those that slowly gets better and better until year 4-5 and then he's just awesome.
Grapesoda2525
I wouldn't mess around with the draft.

If you owe someone a pick, try and pay them back the next year. Get it over with.

I think the draft next year is weak anyway
txjortsagent
AG
I love Barea so much
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm extremely anti-tank beyond 1-2 years. Especially when the young core has already been found. I think if you let it linger, it sets a bad culture in your lockerroom and becomes an anchor on your franchise. I don't want a guy like Luka being a part of it. The time to try to win is here. I want these guys learning how to win.
chris1515
AG
It's not like this team would have to do a lot to lose just a few more games. It's so close now.

Apparently this will be the first year if a revised lottery system that smooths out the odds somewhat.

I think this would be the last year you could even consider tanking at all due to the concerns about culture that you mentioned. One last chance to maybe add a top flight player. If it works, great, if not, you move on with what you have and some free agents.
Galborathelion
What a collapse tonight, I'd feel worse if I wasn't also watching Bama get embarrassed. The stretch at the end was just further proof to me that Maxi deserves a spot with the starters - they were getting Ingram in iso against Luka every chance they had, and he had little issue getting into the paint, where DJ had to come help and leave his guy open for the easy assist (happened multiple times). This will be a recurring problem every time we face a big athletic 4 (eg Randle). Also a reason I'm skeptical of an Otto Porter trade, he'll have the same issues being a small 4.

At the end of the day, you don't win when you start bricking open shots and free throws all 2nd half, and that's what happened. Still 50 or so games to go and only back 3 games from playoffs, but man games like this put a huge damper on that outlook.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Most frustrating game of the season. Man, I love dirk an unhealthy amount. But it is soooo frustrating watching him try to play D. We have absolutely 0 rim protection when he is on the court. It's just a layup line for the opponent over and over while he stands there without moving his feet and half heartedly slaps at the ball. It's been a huge downgrade going from maxi and Powell to dirk and Powell. The hope was that dirk's offense would make up for the defensive downgrade. But I don't think anyone realized just how bad his D would be, and his offense isn't nearly as good as what we were hoping.

I'd still play dirk as much as we can. He deserves it. We aren't contending anyways, so there is no reason to not play him. If it costs us some games, then that just gives us a better chance of keeping our pick.
PatAg
AG
Excerpt from Tim Cato article I found interesting.
"One telling answer from Monday's pre-game availability, when I asked Carlisle about Kleber being the team's best plus-minus player: "Yeah, I know that. I know that. And all I can tell you is that I'm aware of it. That's basically it." Read into that as you may."
rsf0626
Dont have a good feeling about where this season is heading...
jeffdjohnson
PatAg said:

"One telling answer from Monday's pre-game availability, when I asked Carlisle about Kleber being the team's best plus-minus player: "Yeah, I know that. I know that. And all I can tell you is that I'm aware of it. That's basically it." Read into that as you may."

The elephant in the room is Dirk. He went from a pretty good backup player last year (at age 39) to the worst player in the league this year (at age 40). Obviously a 39 year old getting ankle surgery isn't going to go smoothly, but I doubt anyone thought it would be this bad. He is gamely trying to play himself into shape (after missing training camp and the first 25% of the season) but it just isn't happening. It is sad to see, he was so close to playing all 21 years while maintaining a high level.

People get mad at Carslisle about rotations but Dirk has messed them up very badly.
M.C. Swag
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

PatAg said:

The elephant in the room is Dirk. He went from a pretty good backup player last year (at age 39) to the worst player in the league this year (at age 40). Obviously a 39 year old getting ankle surgery isn't going to go smoothly, but I doubt anyone thought it would be this bad. He is gamely trying to play himself into shape (after missing training camp and the first 25% of the season) but it just isn't happening. It is sad to see, he was so close to playing all 21 years while maintaining a high level.

People get mad at Carslisle about rotations but Dirk has messed them up very badly.
I mean, Dirk doesn't have to take Maxi's minutes. Carlisle isn't absolved of benching the best +/- player on his team.

And to be clear, i'm not bashing either Dirk or Carlisle. I just don't understand how Dirk is taking 100% of Maxi's minutes when Dwight Powell is getting abused on a nightly basis.
Grapesoda2525
jeffdjohnson said:

PatAg said:

They probably need to make a trade at the deadline.

Move some expiring contracts ( Mathews) for players who will actually be here next year.
rsf0626
As much as I love dirk and forever will, its time for him to hang it up. Its painful to watch him out there on both sides of the ball
Guitarsoup
AG
Post removed:
by user
PatAg
AG
Was Jordan some amazing rim defender/help defender at the Clippers? He's made all NBA defense before, so he must have.

Here he will go out of his way to avoid being near the rim when we are getting broken down on the perimeter. He will be clinging to a non-shooting threat big out at the 3pt line. I have to assume that it's some sort of contract incentive regarding rebounds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.