****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,453 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rsf0626 said:

The HB trade has some pretty bad optics right now among the athlete community, whether those optics are justified or not. I really wish the mavs could have just waited until the game was over

Now we have to listen to the national media rip the mavs Front Office
I don't blame the Mavs FO. If there's a deal on the table you like, you take it. Doesn't matter what time of day it is, mid game or not. The only thing I wish DIDN'T happen was the public leak of the trade.

Ideally, you'd like to see someone discreetly inform Rick & Barnes and then leak the info publicly after the game. Whoever ran to the press to tell the trade went down while HB was still playing was what irked me. The whole stadium was buzzing about his trade and just oogling him on the bench. More people were interested in what he knew/didn't know than actually watching and cheering on the game.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Mid-game trades are not unusual at all in bball or baseball (especially baseball). But yeah, the team needs to tell the player ASAP before the word breaks.
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

rsf0626 said:

The HB trade has some pretty bad optics right now among the athlete community, whether those optics are justified or not. I really wish the mavs could have just waited until the game was over

I don't blame the Mavs FO. If there's a deal on the table you like, you take it. Doesn't matter what time of day it is, mid game or not. The only thing I wish DIDN'T happen was the public leak of the trade.

Ideally, you'd like to see someone discreetly inform Rick & Barnes and then leak the info publicly after the game. Whoever ran to the press to tell the trade went down while HB was still playing was what irked me. The whole stadium was buzzing about his trade and just oogling him on the bench. More people were interested in what he knew/didn't know than actually watching and cheering on the game.
Did you notice Cuban was gone during the third quarter? My "neighbor" who sits behind us pointed it out, and he jokingly suspected some trade talk. Got a text from my Mavs buddy about the trade, and we all just kept watching Barnes on the bench. It was the most fascinating night in the arena since the last game last year against Phoenix when we were all cheering hard to tank.
M.C. Swag
AG
True Anomaly said:

M.C. Swag said:

rsf0626 said:

Did you notice Cuban was gone during the third quarter? My "neighbor" who sits behind us pointed it out, and he jokingly suspected some trade talk. Got a text from my Mavs buddy about the trade, and we all just kept watching Barnes on the bench. It was the most fascinating night in the arena since the last game last year against Phoenix when we were all cheering hard to tank.
haha nah I didn't notice but i'm not sure I even would have made that connection. I did notice that Adam Silver was absent at the start of the 3rd tho. So even if I had noticed Cubes I would have just assumed it was related to Silver.

And yea I was definitely guilty of being more invested in the Barnes drama than the game once I saw that Shams tweet.
True Anomaly
AG
AgGrad99
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Mid-game trades are not unusual at all in bball or baseball (especially baseball).
Exactly. This is happens every season. It's not a big deal.

It's not just the Mavs who want him to sit out. The last thing Sacramento or the Mavs wants to happen, is agree to the trade, and then watch him get hurt.

Barnes could have skipped the game. He also could have chosen to go back to the locker room once he found out (that's what most players do). But he didnt. He played a half, then stayed to cheer on the team, gave his jersey to a kid, and then went to the locker room with the team. Good on him.

This is like baseball fans getting upset that a pitcher skips a start and sits in the dugout because of a potential trade. Happens every year. It's just part of it.

M.C. Swag
AG
AgGrad99 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Mid-game trades are not unusual at all in bball or baseball (especially baseball).
Exactly. This is happens every season. It's not a big deal.

It's not just the Mavs who want him to sit out. The last thing Sacramento or the Mavs wants to happen, is agree to the trade, and then watch him get hurt.

Barnes could have skipped the game. He also could have chosen to go back to the locker room once he found out (that's what most players do). But he didnt. He played a half, then stayed to cheer on the team, gave his jersey to a kid, and then went to the locker room with the team. Good on him.

This is like baseball fans getting upset that a pitcher skips a start and sits in the dugout because of a potential trade. Happens every year. It's just part of it.
I don't follow baseball and don't care to (think it's the most boring sport on the planet), and I don't think anyone is upset he was traded mid game (I'm not).

--> I can't state it any more clearly though that leaking the trade before informing the player and having it be shouted at him on the bench (something that can't happen in a baseball dugout) was not great. I wish there was a little more discretion is all.
AgGrad99
AG
Fans can shout into the dugout or bullpen, but I get your point.

Thing is...this isnt unusual. Barnes was fully aware of the situation, and made aware once the trade happened.

If anything, sounds like there were a few turd fans we should direct our frustration towards. I dont see any fault with Sac, Barnes or the Mavs. Other that sitting him last night (which Barnes didnt want), not sure what else they could have done.
AgGrad99
AG
But all in all.....regardless how it was handled....I'm just happy we were actually able to unload his contract. Mavs have made some great moves lately.

They've taken enormous strides to transform the team long-term in a very short amount of time.
MW03
AG
True Anomaly said:

jeffdjohnson
The Mavs just torpedoed 80% of their starting lineup in one week... and I'm not convinced they will be worse.

Is Barnes better than Finney-Smith? If I need a basket 1v1 then I'll take Barnes. But Finney-Smith actually passes the ball, rebounds and plays better defense.
Is DeAndre better than Kleber? If I need a 1v1 defensive stop and rebound then I'll take DeAndre. But Kleber actually plays help defense and can step out for a three pointer.
Is DSJ better than Brunson/Burke? If I need a 1v1 attack to the rim then I'll take DSJ. But Bruson/Burke have a better assist/turnover ratio. Sure long term I take DSJ but he wasn't efficient this year.
Is Mathews better than THJ? They seem like the same player to me. Middling ISO players.

Analytics showed the the Mavs 5 man starting lineup had a negative net rating and was one of the worst 5 man lineups in the league. Individually then can all be better but for whatever reason, the pieces just didn't fit.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I agree. They just traded one of the worst starting lineups in the league, sans by far the best player on it. They may not dip as much as people think.
AgGrad99
AG
and if they do stink right now...so be it.

I'll trade a meaningless second half of a season, for a good future...and I'm sure Carlisle, Doncic, Porzingis and the Mavs front office all feel the exact same way.

The Mavs are doing exactly what Porzingis begged NY to do.
hph6203
AG
The fans suck for jeering at him, but the situation was driven by Barnes and Sacramento more than anything. Barnes for not wanting to sit and Sacramento for leaking that the trade was completed. They had no issue with announcing it since Randolph hasn't played all season and Jackson hadn't played in the game. Had Barnes decided to sit this would've been a non-issue to have it come out during the game. I'm sure it's not the way the Mavs would've had it go.
M.C. Swag
AG
hph6203 said:

The fans suck for jeering at him, but the situation was driven by Barnes and Sacramento more than anything. Barnes for not wanting to sit and Sacramento for leaking that the trade was completed. They had no issue with announcing it since Randolph hasn't played all season and Jackson hadn't played in the game. Had Barnes decided to sit this would've been a non-issue to have it come out during the game. I'm sure it's not the way the Mavs would've had it go.
Both can be true. Barnes probably should have sat out AND the fans shouldn't have been yelling at him. But neither would have been an issue without the trade being publicly leaked.

Either way, it's a moot point. Barnes is a good dude and he did what he thought was right by the Org to play despite knowing the possibility of it being his last game in a Mavs uni. I can also feel for the guy despite the futility of the forces at play.

Think this convo has ran its course.
PooDoo
AG
Iowaggie said:

2wealfth Man said:

seeing from ESPN that Mavs will get $30 million in cap space for 2019-2020 from this move. $40 million if Powell opts-out (which seems unlikely). Forget about Randolph, he is irrelevant as a player in this deal.

Although it would be neat to see Zach and Dirk head down to the YMCA together and use their old man moves on the young'uns.

You know, it would serve Maxi and Powell well if Zebo could share some of his secrets to his post game... other than being a giant strong freak.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think this is all much ado about nothing
NoahAg
When was the last time a team traded 4 of its starters mid-season?
M.C. Swag
AG
NoahAg said:

When was the last time a team traded 4 of its starters mid-season?
idk but the Mavs did it in 1997
mavsfan4ever
AG
I agree that we might actually be better after trading 4 of our starters. DSJ, Barnes and Wes didn't exactly thrive at ball movement and constantly bogged down the offense. Deandre may hurt a little on offense and rebounding, but Kleber is an upgrade on defense.

We should at least be less frustrating to watch. And if we are worse, then great. I'd love to see us fall a couple spots in the lotto standings in order to get a 20%+ chance of getting a top 5 pick.
M.C. Swag
AG
More rumblings about Vuc

For those who don't already, I'd follow and keep an eye on Brad Townsend.
hph6203
AG
Mavs were done after the Barnes trade apparently. Probably tried for Vuc, but couldn't get it done because Orlando probably sees that this is the last year they're going to be able to make any traction towards the playoffs for awhile.

Time to search the buyout bin for bigs to fill in the Mejri/Randolph roster spot. Should have a ton of money to bribe a player to join if they're serious about pushing for the playoffs.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'd expect Gortat or Kanter to join the Mavs (barring any other crazy buyout player).
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

Should have a ton of money to bribe a player to join if they're serious about pushing for the playoffs.
I dont think they're really serious about that.

I think that talk is Cuban over-correcting because of his slip up last year.

I mean...maybe if they make an unexpected run, and a few teams fall off in the next month...but barring that happening, i think they're content missing the playoffs this year, and going into next year with an improved roster.
rsf0626
Cant wait for the offseason for the mavs. Going to super exciting
rsf0626
2wealfth Man
AG
Looks like Randolph going to be bought out and won't even report to Dallas.
PatAg
AG
2wealfth Man said:

I dont think he even played this year at Sac
AgGrad99
AG
2wealfth Man said:

12 million for doing nada. Must be nice
hph6203
AG
I don't think tanking is going to pay off any more than going for the playoffs, so if I'm choosing to fail at one thing its trying to make the playoffs. I don't doubt that's the same mindset the Mavs have as of right now. 15 games from now that perspective may change.
AgGrad99
AG
Right. That's why I think they play out the the near term, and see if they can make a run.

If not, they're content counting the second half of this season a wash.

But I assure you, Mark wasn't going to say anything that even remotely resembled what he said last year again.
jeffdjohnson
hph6203 said:

I don't think tanking is going to pay off any more than going for the playoffs, so if I'm choosing to fail at one thing its trying to make the playoffs. I don't doubt that's the same mindset the Mavs have as of right now. 15 games from now that perspective may change.

Mavs should just try to win. Check the standings when there are only 10 games left. If it makes sense at that point to "develop" the Greek Freek's little brother for 30 minutes a game, then go for it. At best I think the Mavs could go from an 8% chance of keeping their pick to a 24% chance. That isn't insignificant but I wouldn't freak out about it.
Grapesoda2525
hph6203 said:

Try to win as many games as possible. Develop some chemistry with the guys here who will also be here next year. Show Porzingis and doncic that the organization wants to win. I don't care if we go for the playoffs and not make it. The moves that the front office made are about this summer and next season.
PooDoo
AG
Gums are flapping...
https://instagr.am/p/BtkT8j1gCU3
PatAg
AG
TOo bad this idiot doesn't know that Barnes was informed of this likelihood before the game, and still chose to play.
hph6203
AG
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3806178/

Found this interesting for those of you concerned about Porzingis' ACL tear. It basically says don't be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.