****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,452 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
jeffdjohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kleber 3 for his last 19 from three point range. Really cooled off and most of those were wide open based on watching some of the games. Was looking like a rare stretch 5, hopefully he can turn it around.

DSJ has really shot well recently. Comparing rookie year to now:

FG% : 39.5% -> 44.4%
3FG%: 31.3% ->36.1%.

But his Assist : Turnover margin has dropped. Was 5.2 : 2.8. Now is 4.1 : 3.3. If he can just get that number up (and keep up the shooting splits) then he is right where he needs to be his 2nd year. I don't think he is a selfish player either. It just seems to me when he drives that he sometimes doesn't know what to do or where to go with the ball. He seems to lack some natural instincts that a guy like Luka has.
COAg15
AG
Smdh. Periodically checked box score tonight.
PatAg
AG
Still think a lot of problems with the starters will be fixed when Wes is either gone, or fully accepts a 6th man kind of deal. Still get 25ish minutes, he just doesnt seem capable of accepting a reduced role when he is on the floor with those guys
PatAg
AG
5 possessions should never go by with Luka not even touching the ball
M.C. Swag
AG
DJ suuuuuuuuuucks

Wes; see above.

Luka; YOU ARE MY SON.
True Anomaly
AG
Incredible that they actually were in it during the 4th quarter despite how awful that game was last night
mavsfan4ever
AG
Dsj has got to fix his handles in the offseason. He can't use his athleticism bc he dribbles too high when driving and just wildly takes long strides and goes around in weird circles. He has no handle and no moves when he's driving. He also doesn't know how to use his dribble to create space or keep a defender behind him. Big problem if that doesn't get better by next year.
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Dsj has got to fix his handles in the offseason. He can't use his athleticism bc he dribbles too high when driving and just wildly takes long strides and goes around in weird circles. He has no handle and no moves when he's driving. He also doesn't know how to use his dribble to create space or keep a defender behind him. Big problem if that doesn't get better by next year.
He's good at coming off a screen and getting into the paint with ease, needs to learn the JET runner and he will be unstoppable. Ive noticed he can go by his man if the ball is swung to him, but he cant seem to get by anybody if they straight up D him.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I agree. He's better at getting to the rim as a wing rather than as a point guard. He can't take anyone off the dribble.
Street_Cred_Norm
Bob Sturm was going off on Deandre Jordan today saying he plays like he does not give a *****.can anyone who has watched most of the games confirm this?
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
PatAg
AG
Street_Cred_Norm said:

Bob Sturm was going off on Deandre Jordan today saying he plays like he does not give a *****.can anyone who has watched most of the games confirm this?
There were some videos going around on twitter from the game yesterday, mainly the 1st quarter.
True Anomaly
AG
Street_Cred_Norm said:

You can also check out the thread I posted on the last page- a pretty detailed breakdown of the Knicks game. Couple that with the most recent Jazz game, and that's where many people are noticing that he's simply stat-padding and not doing what's necessary to help the team win games by being a real defensive paint presence.
M.C. Swag
AG
Street_Cred_Norm said:

DIDNT YOU READ MY DETAILED DEANDRE JORDAN BREAKDOWN YESTERDAY?!!

Here, I'll copy paste;
"DJ suuuuuuuuuucks"

But ya, he's terrible right now went entire possessions without even moving his feet. Bright side is he is making it easy on whether we should re-sign him or not.
M.C. Swag
AG

gomerschlep
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
This bench unit
MW03
AG
DJ's energy looks better tonight. Wonder if the critics embarrassed him into trying.
M.C. Swag
AG
It does? He's been outplayed by Maxi and Powell tonight imo.
MW03
AG
I thought he showed better than the last week+ of games. I'll love Powell though. And this team.
M.C. Swag
AG
Idk I saw a lot of the same. At this point he's playing like the 3rd best option at Center and exactly like Nerlens did before we ran him out of town. DJs time is limited in Dallas with this effort level (or lack thereof).

Good win tho! Bench unit looks amazing with Harris back in it. Maxi is so fun to watch. He's always moving , rolling, and giving help D. Plus he shoots 3s!

DSJ started slow but finished strong.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Bench was awesome last night. Jj was amazing in the first half.

Deandre is just weird. There are so many defensive possessions where he just stands by the rim. It's like his feet are in concrete. No movement to help out on D or get in good position. Sometimes he just stands there with his hands up when there is someone with the ball right in front of him and doesn't move or jump. Really weird.

Maybe he's been like that his whole career and I just never paid attention. It seems like an effort thing but he gives decent effort running back on D and running on offense. It seems like if he was just loading all the time he wouldn't sprint back on D.
JRB78
AG
I did not watch a lot of the game, but while I was watching, his reluctance to jump was hard to miss. Very weird.
M.C. Swag
AG
I mean, based on reading the reports from his last couple years in LA, this is par the course. Deandre has been making 'business decisions' for a while apparently (I never watched as those west coast games are always too late).

It's pretty infuriating. Idk how Carlisle is handling this but something needs to change. From Maxi and Powell's perspective, they are doing everything asked of them (switching on defense, rolling hard to the rim and sealing their man, rebounding, shot blocking, closing out on D.)

DJ is literally only putting effort in transition type plays where he thinks he may get a lob dunk (and even then, he's just as likely to fumble the pass as he is to catch and flush it.)
jeffdjohnson
No data to back this up but seems like a lot of Luka/DSJ turnovers are due to forcing the ball to DeAndre. Not really Jordan's fault but something isn't working between them. Maybe Carslisle needs to have a talk with Luka/DSJ about when they should send a pass inside. I think Jordan has been fine this year for rebounding and sometimes rolling to the rim. Just seems like he needs to be better defensively as a rim protector in order to justify keeping him. Offense flows better with a stretch 5 like Kleber on the court.
mavsfan4ever
AG
https://deadspin.com/report-deandre-jordan-isnt-making-friends-in-dallas-1830432288/amp
COAg15
AG
Gobert was flopping up a storm to end the first half. Deandre was showing some fire, got a tech yelling "that's soft" over and over at the ref after the jazz got another call. Whether we leave with a W, it's good to see the team rallying for each other. Luka's buzzer beater 3 was perfect
PatAg
AG
Luka is god
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

https://deadspin.com/report-deandre-jordan-isnt-making-friends-in-dallas-1830432288/amp

I haven't seen any evidence that he is rubbing teammates the wrong way, other than the one rebound with Luka. Rubbing fans the wrong way, sure.
PatAg
AG
Grayson Allen at work again
Old Tom Morris
Team is getting salty quickly
94chem
Old Tom Morris said:

Team is getting salty quickly

How do you put up 68 in today's NBA?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Is holding a team to 22 points in the second half good?
True Anomaly
AG
50. *******. Point. Win.
True Anomaly
AG
Scotty Flamingo
PatAg said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I haven't seen any evidence that he is rubbing teammates the wrong way, other than the one rebound with Luka. Rubbing fans the wrong way, sure.

DSJ came out and said this was BS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.